Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Really sad news today. It definitely hits hardest to the locals. I had been a Disneyland AP holder since 2010. Last year I moved next to Disney world. They are not allowing new AP’s to be sold at WDW and I have been having to buy Florida resident offers which are cheaper than regular tickets but more than a AP. I fear that this is what may happen at Disneyland too.

Really sad news today. It definitely hits hardest to the locals. I had been a Disneyland AP holder since 2010. Last year I moved next to Disney world. They are not allowing new AP’s to be sold at WDW and I have been having to buy Florida resident offers which are cheaper than regular tickets but more than a AP. I fear that this is what may happen at Disneyland too.
I think thats exactly what will happen in the short term at least. WDW ones are 200 for 4 days right? I’m thinking that. If they are hoppers, that’s half off (If prices arent raised) and $140 off 1 park per day with a much more generous usage length. Not a bad deal.

I think thats exactly what will happen in the short term at least. WDW ones are 200 for 4 days right? I’m thinking that. If they are hoppers, that’s half off (If prices arent raised) and $140 off 1 park per day with a much more generous usage length. Not a bad deal.
Yep, 200 for 4 days. Like you said, not bad, but not as good as an AP. I get it, Disney is in a bad way financially and needs to maximize revenue anyway they can. Just sucks for ppl who live close to the parks on either coasts that it’s come to this. Besides having a cheap way of getting into the parks there was something special about having that AP. That you had the option to go anytime you wanted was a great feeling. Oh well, at least for myself and others who were in a similar situation we have those good times to look back on.

Looks like I won't have to worry about trying to get a reservation once they re-open, which will almost definitely be within the next 4-6 months. We're likely closer to the end than the beginning at this point.

I'll miss Disneyland, but will be saving a lot of money I'd probably spend on food and souvenirs. I had 2 1/2 months remaining on my Flex Pass, and had looked forward to at least enjoying that period before deciding whether to renew. Given all the restrictions, and lack of entertainment, fireworks, etc., I probably won't even consider another pass until at least Summer 2022. There is simply no way I'm going to drop $150+ for 1 or 2 days at the park, when I had been paying $600 for 20-30 times that many days over a year.

I think this is a dumb move by Disney. I'm sure some of the diehards will gladly pay whatever, just to get their fix when the parks re-open. But there will be just as many, like myself, who will forego visits for months or years.

I keep wondering if the likelihood of Disneyland only being open to locals at reopening (if we’re still going off those tier assumptions) impacted this decision. Much more profitable at limited capacity if everyone has to buy multi-day tickets rather than rely on their APs.

Even though its hard to say if we’ll see the tiers used in the same way when they reopen I think it’s wishful thinking that Newsom won’t still have a list of heavy restrictions to abide by that will resemble what was already proposed.

I keep wondering if the likelihood of Disneyland only being open to locals at reopening (if we’re still going off those tier assumptions) impacted this decision. Much more profitable at limited capacity if everyone has to buy multi-day tickets rather than rely on their APs.

Even though its hard to say if we’ll see the tiers used in the same way when they reopen I think it’s wishful thinking that Newsom won’t still have a list of heavy restrictions to abide by that will resemble what was already proposed.

Good point. But as a vaccinated DVC member who owns at VGC, that will be pretty frustrating. But I understand it won’t necessarily be Disneys choice on the matter.

I can't wait for DLR to reopen this year!!!!! I know some are saying October, some are saying March..... With vaccines rolling out I am Sure that these next few months will go by fast and places like DLR can start opening with small capacity!!!! I don't have a pass anymore, but I bought tickets last June so I am eager to get back to the parks!!!!

Question: I am not sure how or if this could be done, but do you think there may be a way for them to confirm vaccination or will it be like 'X' % of population has been vaccinated, so things can start moving? 🤔 I assume no, but I don't know for certain.

I can't wait for DLR to reopen this year!!!!! I know some are saying October, some are saying March..... With vaccines rolling out I am Sure that these next few months will go by fast and places like DLR can start opening with small capacity!!!! I don't have a pass anymore, but I bought tickets last June so I am eager to get back to the parks!!!!

Question: I am not sure how or if this could be done, but do you think there may be a way for them to confirm vaccination or will it be like 'X' % of population has been vaccinated, so things can start moving? 🤔 I assume no, but I don't know for certain.
Because it is very important to track which form of the vaccine you received (Moderna, Pfizer, etc.) and the time between doses, I understand that everyone receiving the vaccine receives a card with this information on it. But someone here who is already vaccinated in California may be able to confirm. I wouldn't be very surprised to see proof of vaccination as a requirement to enter the parks... and even less surprised to see a great deal of litigation around that.

Because it is very important to track which form of the vaccine you received (Moderna, Pfizer, etc.) and the time between doses, I understand that everyone receiving the vaccine receives a card with this information on it. But someone here who is already vaccinated in California may be able to confirm. I wouldn't be very surprised to see proof of vaccination as a requirement to enter the parks... and even less surprised to see a great deal of litigation around that.

Yes, everyone receives a card- I believe it's the same card nationwide. I suppose the card could be used for vaccine verification but honestly it would be extremely easy to fake... I doubt those cards will be used for vaccine verification if that is required.

... I'm not okay. I'm devastated. This is what's been giving me hope all these months is looking forward to going back eventually.
Agreed. I'm feeling so bummed right now. I travel from lots of states away and just am feeling devastated.
I'm right there with you, my day and mood have gotten pretty sour since the announcement. To me it really feels like I "lost" Disneyland and that makes it hard to be optimistic about the future of the parks. The only thing I'm hopeful for is that the shock will wear off and won't taint the memories of such a happy place.
This has been a really hard day for so many of us. Our APs are so much more than entry media to a theme park. For the last year, they have been tangible pieces of hope -- lights (however dimming) at the end of such a long, dark tunnel. Big virtual hugs to each of you.

My DVC reservation at GCH for 1/29 to 2/3 was cancelled this morning. Looks like you can still book 2/5 and beyond so seems like they moved to a 2 week rolling cancellation window as tomorrow would've been 14 days out for me.
Thank you for posting this. I have updated the first page of the Official Reopening Superthread on the main board.

I never get the emails, even though I talked to them last spring about this issue, and they said it was fixed. Luckily the boards keep me posted.

It was suggested I post this question over here as well:

I’m a Premier Passholder but I have a WDW AP Renewal certificate sitting in my account. I wasn’t expecting that renewal certificate to get activated until DL reopened and my Premier Pass finally expired, given that my Premier Pass expiration has been extended throughout the pandemic.

Does anyone know how situations like mine will be handled? When they cancel our APs will the cancellation date be the date they cancel it or the date it originally expired, and will my renewal activate at that point? Do you think there’s any chance Disney will let me turn my renewal into a *new* certificate? I really don’t want my AP renewing now as due to Covid changing all of our plans we don’t expect to be even in WDW now until either Thanksgiving or Christmas time.

I'm not okay. I'm devastated. This is what's been giving me hope all these months is looking forward to going back eventually.
I'm right there with you. I loved getting to the park gates at 7:00 on Sunday mornings, making rope drop, PP and then doing a dozen or so rounds on Buzz. I really hope that I can return to that but they've sort of left us in limbo. There's been speculation that Disney is trying to do away with frequent AP visitors -- from myself and others -- but that seems like a strategy that could backfire. However, nothing is certain at this point. These are bad times and instead of helping to make them better, Disney has made them worse.

Disney is in a bad way financially and needs to maximize revenue anyway they can.
Agreed and I get it. Disney is a business. But it seems to me that rather than sell a trickle of daily/multi-day park passes at the outset, it would make more sense/revenue to also sell several million APs -- sorry, memberships -- at $1500 a short time after they reopen. Five million passes -- ahem, memberships (I'll always call mine an AP no matter what silly name Disney uses to rebrand them) -- at $1,500 apiece comes to $7.5B. That makes up for nearly 80% of the $9.5B that was lost in their last fiscal year.

Now: having said all of this, I'm merely an armchair financial analyst and am not the president of one of the most famous/popular theme parks in the world. Surely the intricacies of running such a business are likely lost on me. Indeed, to nearly all of us.

Last edited:
Yes! Update, please! :) Hope everything goes well and that your parents have minimal discomfort.

so I said I would come back to update on the vaccinations at Disneyland. My parents appointments were for 12:30. We arrived via Katella a little before 12 and got right in. I could see a spot with wheelchairs so I ran over and got one right away for my Dad. He has a hard time walking and standing. We walked over to the lines and they had separate lines set up for appointment times in 15 minute increments, so you got in your line. My dad kept trying to point me at other lines that were shorter or moving, but I said this is our line. Along the way, my mom also grabbed a wheelchair that she could push as a walker for balance and stability, and then sit in when we had to wait.

a little after 12:30 our line moved up to the tents where our temps were checked and then we did check in #1 showing license and reservation on the app. At the first tent having the wheelchair saved some time as we were sent to a different line. we were directed to tent 2 where showed the id and reservation in the app again. My parents had to sign something about consent here. This is also where the day of vaccine assessment is done (although we had taken care of ours in the app in the am). We were then directed to a short line that took us to the actual vaccination tent! Again with the app and ids. And then finally the shots! We were then directed to the last tent where you have to sit for 15 minutes for “observation” but seriously no one was really watching us. Told us to set timers on our phones. After our 15 minutes, we headed out the other end. We did stop at the ports potties here (also some at beginning of the line and when we moved forward) as my dad had to go to the bathroom urgently.

all said and done, we were back in the car at 1:30 and on our way out. We made a few stops on our way home. The whole site was run very efficiently abe was very organized. My tips are to keep your id out once your line moved forward as you will be showing it many times. There were no issues with going with your relatives. I went through the whole way with them. I had camp chairs but since they were sitting in wheelchairs, I did not end up using them. Their second shots will be 2/13, and I was told I will get an email about a week before about setting up appointments. We do not have to go to the dl site for the second one (kind of hoping there will be one in Irvine closer to us, but it is fine if we do)

any questions, let me know. I feel a lot of relief that they at least have their first shots done.

so I said I would come back to update on the vaccinations at Disneyland. My parents appointments were for 12:30. We arrived via Katella a little before 12 and got right in. I could see a spot with wheelchairs so I ran over and got one right away for my Dad. He has a hard time walking and standing. We walked over to the lines and they had separate lines set up for appointment times in 15 minute increments, so you got in your line. My dad kept trying to point me at other lines that were shorter or moving, but I said this is our line. Along the way, my mom also grabbed a wheelchair that she could push as a walker for balance and stability, and then sit in when we had to wait.

a little after 12:30 our line moved up to the tents where our temps were checked and then we did check in #1 showing license and reservation on the app. At the first tent having the wheelchair saved some time as we were sent to a different line. we were directed to tent 2 where showed the id and reservation in the app again. My parents had to sign something about consent here. This is also where the day of vaccine assessment is done (although we had taken care of ours in the app in the am). We were then directed to a short line that took us to the actual vaccination tent! Again with the app and ids. And then finally the shots! We were then directed to the last tent where you have to sit for 15 minutes for “observation” but seriously no one was really watching us. Told us to set timers on our phones. After our 15 minutes, we headed out the other end. We did stop at the ports potties here (also some at beginning of the line and when we moved forward) as my dad had to go to the bathroom urgently.

all said and done, we were back in the car at 1:30 and on our way out. We made a few stops on our way home. The whole site was run very efficiently abe was very organized. My tips are to keep your id out once your line moved forward as you will be showing it many times. There were no issues with going with your relatives. I went through the whole way with them. I had camp chairs but since they were sitting in wheelchairs, I did not end up using them. Their second shots will be 2/13, and I was told I will get an email about a week before about setting up appointments. We do not have to go to the dl site for the second one (kind of hoping there will be one in Irvine closer to us, but it is fine if we do)

any questions, let me know. I feel a lot of relief that they at least have their first shots done.
Thank you very much for the "vaccination trip report"! If we go to one of these sites with my parents or for ourselves, I think we'll use our AP lanyards to keep our ID handy. (And since the lanyards are just gathering cobwebs now... sob!) Glad to hear that everything went well and hope that your parents are not experiencing any side effects.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter