Disneyland Hotel -- How badly does it need refurbishment?

ECMD2018

Earning My Ears
At the end of July, my family and I (2 adults and 2 kids) are stopping at Disneyland for a short 2 night/1 park day stay before we continue on to Aulani.

Been trying to decide between DH and DGC. DGC is about $200 more per night, so I'm inclined to stay at DH, but have come across several postings/reviews about DH rooms feeling very dated and in need of refurbishment. Unfortunately, few of the posts give specifics as to what the issues are -- big difference to me if its just outdated furniture v. sagging mattresses, stained furniture, leaking faucets, etc.

Any insight on what this might look like?

Thank you in advance.

I’ve stayed twice in the last two years (both times in the Fantasty Tower) and never had any issues. The hotel itself is quite old so you do have to keep that in mind, but I feel like it’d been really well maintained. I have no complaints.

I haven’t had any of those issues at all in 3 of our stays within the past 5 years. I take reviews with the grain of salt. Maybe some just felt it wasn’t as modern. Our most recent stay was in March and again next week.

If there was a problem, they would quickly fix it. We had a technical problem at GCH during our fall stay. This was even a renovated room. Was a big deal at all

We are staying at DLH in September after staying twice at GCH - for the same reason, the price difference. After booking our rooms, I was reading reviews and starting to second guess my decision but then remembered that I need to take reviews with a grain of salt. Things that bother other people might not bother me and vice versa. I've watched a few YouTube reviews that were within the past few months and they all seemed pleased with the rooms.

Please come back after your stay and add to the Disneyland Hotel thread with your thoughts and experience!

We’ve stayed at the DLH 1-2 times per year for the last several years and recently tried the GCH. Both hotels are clean and well-maintained, with comfortable beds, and responsive if not delicious room-service. I’d say that it’s less about the room refurbishment, since both hotels are well-maintained, and more about your family’s interests and activity plans. Disney-theming, views or pool time = DLH. Less interest in theming, preference for DCA or more perception of luxury = GCH.

I’ve always been advised by hospitality cast members to stay at DLH due to the larger rooms and the Disney magic, so it’s my first love between the properties. We’ve stayed in hotels that are hundreds of years old, so this hotel isn’t old, it’s retro! It’s not all “white and travertine tile and light-wood modern”, so I think that’s what some people are referring to. The rooms are generally larger, and the Disney touches are enchanting. We love the hidden Mickeys on the carpet, Mickey faucet heads and sconces, and falling asleep under the glowing, musical headboard! We also love views, and DLH is taller! And the pool area is waaaaay more fun if your kids can swim. We’ve had hot water take a few minutes, too, but it never turned cold unexpectedly, and we’ve never had issues with stained or broken furniture, etc. For me, the only downside is the hike back through downtown Disney with tired, young children if the monorail isn’t available.

We recently stayed at the GCH for the first time and were upgraded from standard view to a partial park view when I requested a room near the Napa Rose elevators to be closer to the DCA entrance. The room was smaller, but very bright, and had a view of the park and monorail from the windows and balcony, which my kids loved. The bathroom is modern, but the toilet is not in a separate room from the shower, as it is in DLH. Best perk for us was the proximity to our room after a 10 pm (!) World of Color, because our youngest was asleep on her feet. But all of us were disappointed with the pool, because the water slides were boring! The service was a notch above at GCH (a little quicker and more formal), and it should be, at $700+ per night. But honestly, having stayed at other luxury hotels/suites/cabins around the world, this is not a $700-1000/nt room - we paid around $400 with the Dapper Days discount, and I felt good about that.

We are well-traveled, and I’ve booked these hotels at a variety of prices, from 50% off for Dapper Days discounts, to a splurge at the DLH Fairytale Suite. If you want to compare apples to apples, maybe look at club-level rooms at DLH in comparison to GCH, for an extra-special experience, or book a World of Color dessert party to get off your feet at the end of the day. But to us, DLH is hands-down a better *value* at the price-point.

I am staying this August. I think the rooms look pretty sweet. I mean its not the Four Seasons but they look very Disney!

I am more worried about getting bed bugs....my biggest fear and it could be lurking anywhere lol

Put your luggage in the bathroom (shower or tub I’ve been told is best) and do a full bed search. I use a small uv flashlight and check the rim around the whole mattress, the headboard etc.

I know it sounds crazy, but I’ve travelled a lot and bed bugs are the thing I’m a bit phobic about. There are some great YouTube videos showing the best way to check for them :)

Put your luggage in the bathroom (shower or tub I’ve been told is best) and do a full bed search. I use a small uv flashlight and check the rim around the whole mattress, the headboard etc.

I know it sounds crazy, but I’ve travelled a lot and bed bugs are the thing I’m a bit phobic about. There are some great YouTube videos showing the best way to check for them :)

Not crazy at all, I am always down for extra tips. Once I hit my 40's I can see small things anymore I have to get my phone out and look. I will get a UV flashlight and check out the youtube videos...I didn't know that this was a thing...but of course it is lol

Save your money and stay at the Disneyland hotel. Even if the Disneyland hotel cost more than the Grand I'd probably still stay at the DLH. I love the history of the place. I like the bigger rooms and I love the pool and Trader Sams. The Grand is not bad but the DLH is better to me. We are staying there this fall and I can't wait.

I don't know if it needs a full refurbishment but last year I did notice the headboard of the bed was in need of some TLC. It was badly ripped in many places but maybe that was due to it being a "leftover" room. (It was super tiny, seemed even smaller than the GCH rooms)

GoldeneyezCA, thanks for all the detailed info. Could you explain about the two different bathroom configurations in the two hotels? I'm just curious about the different layouts. Thanks!

GoldeneyezCA, thanks for all the detailed info. Could you explain about the two different bathroom configurations in the two hotels? I'm just curious about the different layouts. Thanks!
Sure. Sorry, wrote quite a novel there, so thanks for reading it, LOL. Basically, at DLH, the bathroom door opens to a room with the sink(s) and shower, and there is another door inside the bathroom to a small room for the toilet (a W.C). At the GCH, the sinks were outside of the bathroom, and the toilet and shower were inside. I prefer the DLH layout for getting ready while my family is sleeping. Also, DLH has shower curtains, and GCH has glass doors.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter