• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Hotel -- How badly does it need refurbishment?

Having lived in Anaheim for 5 years, that is true. LA water is just gross. Some places do better in terms of the amount of filters they use or the kind of filters. But when we lived there, we only drank water through a brita filter pitcher or bottled water.

It's weird though - we've only experienced it in the Adventure Tower of the DLH. I'm not bothered by the water anywhere else in Anaheim, though my DH can't stand the taste. It's only those sinks that reek.

To further confuse things about the bathroom configuration in DLH versus GCH, not all rooms at GCH have the same bathroom configuration: We just got back from GCH today, and due to a mix up at the front desk, we had two rooms in less than 24 hours. One room had the toilet and shower in one room, sinks outside. The next room had the toilet in a room with a door, all of which were inside sliding double doors which also housed the 2 sinks and the shower. There was not a door between the sink area and the shower. I liked that I could get ready completely, with the double doors closed, and my kids could sleep. If DH needed to come in and use the restroom, the toilet was also inside the double doors but also had its own door. Hope this makes sense. The first room was 2 queens, the second was 1 king and a sleeper chair and day bed.

I think the DLH needs a big re-do myself. I thought it looked pretty tired when we stayed in a 1 bedroom suite about 2 years ago. It was pretty big, but just seem a little blah to me. I did not like the high rise look of the buildings and the lack of balconies. The GCH has so much more character to me, but again that is just my opinion. The bigger reason we stay in the GCH now over the DLH is that the walk just seems to take forever after a long day in the parks. But if it saves you some money, then go for it and have fun!

I completely agree, twodogs. My family won't stay at the DLH even if it's free. We love the GCH and the PPH. DLH CMs are by far the worst of the bunch, the rooms are tired, it's clear that everything was done on the cheap, and the alleged "magic" is limited to Mickey handles on the faucets and cheap-o framed prints of historical DL sites.

The DLH does have nice restaurants, but you don't have to stay there to enjoy those. The pools, while they look nice, are the epitome of style over substance--they're not really anything special.

Wow, I guess your opinions on each hotel are really based on your personal experience at each hotel. Personally, I have never had a bad experience at the DLH and have probably stayed there 50+ times. I was there a few days ago and was perfectly happy with my room - and I am very picky when it comes to hotels. I find the staff to be so nice and accommodating every time I am there. The pool is very important to our family and DLH has a far superior pool to both GCH and PPH. We usually rent a cabana for the first or last day of our stay, and we have found the cabanas and service to be far superior at DLH.

I have stayed at GCH three times. I had a horrible experience the first time. I tried again twice and I just never felt my experiences were worth the price tag. The lobby is the best part of the hotel and is open to everyone. It’s a short walk from DLH so we spend some time in the GCH lobby every time we visit, usually on our way to dinner at Napa Rose or for a break from the parks.

I have stayed at PPH more times than GCH, maybe 10 times? Mostly when we were younger and couldn’t afford DLH and GCH. I didn’t have a horrible experience there, I just feel it lacks the Disney magic that the other two hotels have. And now that you can’t cut through GCH, it’s no longer worth it to me to stay there.

It's honestly all about personal preference. DLH is my favorite onsite hotel - I love all the magical touches, and the retro vibe. I've never felt like the rooms were outdated (and frankly, I prefer the classic magical style over the new, bland conventioneer refurbs). GCH wasn't anything special to me, and my DVC stay there was just fine (but didn't necessarily feel super-Disney).

twodogs--Thanks for the info on the bathroom differences at GCH. My family is booked to stay there in October for the first time, but I'm worried about the bathroom issue because I get up really early to run and get ready and I don't want to wake the kids. Do you know how to request the type of room where the bathroom is sectioned off? Did you find the daybed and sleeper chair comfortable? (I have two kids 10 and 12 and I'm not sure if they'd be miserable in the daybed and sleeper chair.) I've also debated about switching to DLH, so I'm following this thread with interest!

twodogs--Thanks for the info on the bathroom differences at GCH. My family is booked to stay there in October for the first time, but I'm worried about the bathroom issue because I get up really early to run and get ready and I don't want to wake the kids. Do you know how to request the type of room where the bathroom is sectioned off? Did you find the daybed and sleeper chair comfortable? (I have two kids 10 and 12 and I'm not sure if they'd be miserable in the daybed and sleeper chair.) I've also debated about switching to DLH, so I'm following this thread with interest!
I don't know what to request to get that bath configuration because I'm not sure if it had to do with the different bedding configurations or was just luck of the draw. You could just try to explain what you need at check in and hopefully they can help. If you can check in early in the day, if they give you the wrong configuration at first, you have more time to get that fixed before the rooms fill (the hotel was at capacity this Saturday night which is why we spent one night in the "wrong" configuration; we didn't go to our room until 9pm so it was too late to change for that night when we noticed it).

My DD's are 11 and 13, and both really like the fold out chair and the day bed. The 13 year old is about 5'7", and she fits nicely on the pull out chair. They actually prefer them to regular bed that they would have to share, and they say they are comfy. We have stayed there many times, and they always feel these chair/pull down beds are comfortable. Also, the chair is not facing the bathroom at all, and the day bed is in the far corner of the room, furthest from the bathroom, so the light won't be shining right on their faces if you are in there. As well, the light in the sink area has a dimmer slider switch, so you could turn it to the lowest setting at bedtime, then turn the main switch off, so it is dim when you turn it on in the morning. The make up mirror also has a light, and that might be enough to just use that to put in contacts and brush your teeth. I don't think that would wake anyone up, as it is very dim. Have fun!

I stayed there for the first time ever in the Adventure Tower last February and experienced no feeling of the hotel needing a refurbishment whatsoever. We loved it. If you want to stay on property and save a little money, I'd def go with DLH over GCH. I might book GCH when it's our 20th wedding anniversary (10 years away right now, lol) due to the expense.

While I wouldn't say it's in need of a massive refurb, you can just tell things are starting to wear down a bit. We stayed in November, and on our headboard some of the leather material was chipping away and parts of the wood looked worn. Besides that I suppose I only had a problem with the shower since I'm more of a walk in shower person and prefer really good water pressure. The DLH showers had somewhat weaker pressure and I'm just not a fan of the tub shower combo. I love the new GCH showers, but I can see how those with littles may want the tub option.

We only stay onsite once a year as we are there 3-5 times a year and it is much cheaper to stay across the street. That being said, we stayed at the DLH last week and it was fantastic. Fantasy tower-full view of SWGE, nothing to complain about. Well, one small complaint, when they know there are conferences, they need to have more than one CM at the coffee counter.

I like the DLH rooms better than the GCH rooms, but prefer staying at the GCH. I don't like hotels with seperate "wings" and loved the GCH was all in one.

We’ve stayed at the DLH and the GCH and don’t feel the DLH is inferior by any means. I do not feel like it needs refurbishment. For us, DLH feels more like a fun family hotel and GCH an adult getaway. We book accordingly. But that’s just my opinion. I love both. Way prefer the DLH when we bring the kids because of the pools.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter