Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

Did anyone watch the video from Rundisney with tips on registering for races with the warning not to open multiple browsers or try to register on multiple devices? 😬
Honestly, sometimes I feel bad for hogging bandwidth but multiple devices/browsers is the only way I've ever gotten registration for runDisney, moonlight magic, sorcerer expo tickets, d23 events, dining reservations, blah blah, whatever. And sometimes I don't get it, even with all the crazy tricks! They trained us to behave this way, and I hate that they try to share bad info ("don't do x") because their servers and processes can't handle it. Ok! Then find a way to improve it, or make it fair. Until then, we're pretty much forced to blitz registration.

Apologies for the rant 😅

Honestly, sometimes I feel bad for hogging bandwidth but multiple devices/browsers is the only way I've ever gotten registration for runDisney, moonlight magic, sorcerer expo tickets, d23 events, dining reservations, blah blah, whatever. And sometimes I don't get it, even with all the crazy tricks! They trained us to behave this way, and I hate that they try to share bad info ("don't do x") because their servers and processes can't handle it. Ok! Then find a way to improve it, or make it fair. Until then, we're pretty much forced to blitz registration.

Apologies for the rant 😅
Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 17-22-45 Its Not Going To Happen Meme Generator - Imgflip.png

Last edited:

But, honestly. When I was registering for MW2023 (after the false start by rD), I had 8 different windows open on my computer. If they all showed the same wait time, then I'll close the other 7. But when I see wait times of 5 minutes,12 minutes, 34 minutes, 92 minutes, etc etc, that's when I knew opening up multiple instances was the best idea. If I kept it to one window, and I got a wait time of 75 minutes, then everything would've been sold out by the time I got to register.

Did anyone watch the video from Rundisney with tips on registering for races with the warning not to open multiple browsers or try to register on multiple devices? 😬
They can switch to a lotto system or update it so you can only enter the queue once. What they’ve chosen to do instead is make the problem worse by bringing more attention to it.

Apologies for the rant 😅
I don’t even feel bad! For MW I opened probably 20 browsers across three devices in various browsers at various times. I think 2 of the ~20 had a time under 60 minutes when registration finally opened. I used one and sent the other to a friend and closed the rest. Dopey sold out in some 35 minutes? Crazy to think if I hadn’t opened so many windows I likely would have missed out on all registrations. I know it only contributes to the issue but it’s their issue, not ours!

Oh crap, now you all have me terrified!! So many browsers open????? Do you just log in and get the minutes message, then open another browser and log in again and rinse and repeat???? I've only done the DL Tink in 2017 and I got the 10k no issue. But I'm totally understanding that registration has ramped up and with DL races back again, it's going to be lucky timing!

Oh crap, now you all have me terrified!! So many browsers open????? Do you just log in and get the minutes message, then open another browser and log in again and rinse and repeat???? I've only done the DL Tink in 2017 and I got the 10k no issue. But I'm totally understanding that registration has ramped up and with DL races back again, it's going to be lucky timing!
Someone correct me if the DL registration is different as I have only done WDW! I never log in but I have my password saved/memorized to enter it in quickly when it's needed. I think the browsers need to be incognito/private, regular browsers/tabs will just give you the same queue ID. Your spot in the queue is randomized so while I usually open browsers at various times (before the registration time, right at registration, a minute after) I don't think it really matters. But if you only open one browser you're at risk of being really far back in the queue with over an hour wait and no other options...I know some DL races have sold out in like 30-40 minutes like WDW. My friend opened maybe 5 browsers and not a single one made it through the queue before the races sold out, they only got in because I sent them a link (there's an option to copy the queue link and send to someone else). Many will say stop opening multiple browsers because that's what crashes the site, which is true...

They can switch to a lotto system or update it so you can only enter the queue once. What they’ve chosen to do instead is make the problem worse by bringing more attention to it.

Instituting a lottery system is nothing new. The Philadelphia Broad Street 10 Mile Run has been using a lottery for the last 10 years.

Back in 2009, they said there was still 3000 spots a week before the race. But in 2011, it sold out in a little more than 4 days. The next year, 2012, the race sold out in 5 hours! Starting in 2013, they put in a lottery, so people didn't have to stay up until midnight to register, and have the entire system crash from the load.

The issue with "entering the queue once" is it would encourage people to make multiple MDE accounts.

I am thinking they may not have them for Disneyland. They didn't in the old days for Disneyland either but who knows.

Echoing what someone else said they definitely had charities in the past. I ran with one for Tink 2015. What that will look like for the return of DLR races is anyone's guess at this point, though. But definitely existed for DLR races in the past.

I don't trust Disney IT near enough for only one window.

I just watched the video. I think RunDisney is serious this time. The video mentions the possibility of ending up on Santa's naughty list. That is serious. I wonder if Santa will forgive one transgression.

I just watched the video. I think RunDisney is serious this time. The video mentions the possibility of ending up on Santa's naughty list. That is serious. I wonder if Santa will forgive one transgression.
Whether or not the video is serious, or poor strategy..... I'm still really interested in seeing it.
This will be the first time I try to register for runDisney. I want to run the half marathon and my husband wants to run the 10k, but he won't have access to a computer at work during the registration time so I'll be attempting to register both of us.
Our priority is that I run the half. Do I go thru that entire registration process once for myself before trying to register him for 10k, or can I check off (or add to cart) the half and the 10k and then be able to distinguish who is running each race?

Whether or not the video is serious, or poor strategy..... I'm still really interested in seeing it.
This will be the first time I try to register for runDisney. I want to run the half marathon and my husband wants to run the 10k, but he won't have access to a computer at work during the registration time so I'll be attempting to register both of us.
Our priority is that I run the half. Do I go thru that entire registration process once for myself before trying to register him for 10k, or can I check off (or add to cart) the half and the 10k and then be able to distinguish who is running each race?
If they keep the same registration platform, you will select one race and go through the entire registration process for it up to the point of payment. Before you head to the payment screen, there will be an option to add another registration. You'll then go through and add all the details for the second registration separately. Once all your registrations are done, you'll go to payment and pay for all of them at once. The risk is that if one of the races sells out during that process, you won't be able to pay.

If they keep the same registration platform, you will select one race and go through the entire registration process for it up to the point of payment. Before you head to the payment screen, there will be an option to add another registration. You'll then go through and add all the details for the second registration separately. Once all your registrations are done, you'll go to payment and pay for all of them at once. The risk is that if one of the races sells out during that process, you won't be able to pay.
Eeeek! This is starting to put a bitter taste in my mouth..... I'm not getting my hopes up.
Thank you so much for that explanation. I'm relying on all the experts that have run before me!

Struggling over the moral quandary whether or not to use all tools available to register seems to be less helpful. We've seen many times on this forum that we can share the queue IDs so that resources are more widely shared to increase the chance of success, not just for the individual but also the community.

I completely agree with the folks that are concerned about opening only one browser, getting a queue ID that will be too long in time to have odds of success. It would be interesting if the back-end programming for registration was changed so that even incognito browsers had an IP address logged. I'm not a tech person, so not sure if they could do that....

I think the real thing that would lessen people’s stress on registration day, since these races attract more families and groups than the average race, is to guarantee your cart during checkout so people don’t have to rush and stress and worry that if they try to go back and add another person that they’ll lose their spot. Or that they check out their spot and then it sells out before they can get through to register a second person and only one of them gets to run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!