Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Another site that has put out a lot of good info in the past says they just confirmed through a reliable source that the opening is Aug 28th. He didn't say anything about soft openings or anything like that. I'm bummed as I was holding out hope it would be sooner. The Epcot line to open later. I know this has already been speculated on but this was the first time I heard anyone that puts a lot of good and reliable content out to say he confirmed it thru his reliable sources.

Another site that has put out a lot of good info in the past says they just confirmed through a reliable source that the opening is Aug 28th. He didn't say anything about soft openings or anything like that. I'm bummed as I was holding out hope it would be sooner. The Epcot line to open later. I know this has already been speculated on but this was the first time I heard anyone that puts a lot of good and reliable content out to say he confirmed it thru his reliable sources.

What’s the site?

For those that were interested in the secondary loop and how it might work or be controlled..at about the 6:30 mark Rob shows a control panel for what appears to be the secondary loop

I’m with you here. I do think it will look a bit out of place in this area. I think it will throw off the sight line and forced perspective.

Agreed. Although if the alternative was shelving the Rat because of the Skyliner-I prefer to live with both.

Even if they could have had Rat entrance right through France somehow, I think this extra court yard will be worth it, even with the Skyliner.

Agreed. Although if the alternative was shelving the Rat because of the Skyliner-I prefer to live with both.

Even if they could have had Rat entrance right through France somehow, I think this extra court yard will be worth it, even with the Skyliner.

It also could be one of those things that will look jarring at first and then like 5 years from now we will have trouble picturing without it

I wonder if 2 ECV’s with riders would be over the weight limit.

No, most ECVs weigh less than one person. The gondolas have pretty high weight limits as well. >1500 kg, iirc.

Here's a copy/paste of a response from April that answered the question of 1 ECV plus additional passengers. I don't think changing those additional passengers into a second ECV changes the calculations. If 2 ECVs are not allowed, it will just as joelkfla says: It's a space problem, not a weight one.

-----

Frequent poster joelkfla did the research and found that each gondola has a weight limit of 1,800 kg which is 3,968 pounds.

That post includes the source for that fact: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...pdated-4-23-19.3578988/page-321#post-60479912

To put that figure in perspective, a Jeep Wrangler 4x4 sports utility vehicle weighs about 3,900 pounds. These gondolas won't have any problem with an ECV and a few extra passengers.

Source for SUV weight: https://cars.lovetoknow.com/List_of_Car_Weights

Here's a copy/paste of a response from April that answered the question of 1 ECV plus additional passengers. I don't think changing those additional passengers into a second ECV changes the calculations. If 2 ECVs are not allowed, it will just as joelkfla says: It's a space problem, not a weight one.

-----

Frequent poster joelkfla did the research and found that each gondola has a weight limit of 1,800 kg which is 3,968 pounds.

That post includes the source for that fact: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...pdated-4-23-19.3578988/page-321#post-60479912

To put that figure in perspective, a Jeep Wrangler 4x4 sports utility vehicle weighs about 3,900 pounds. These gondolas won't have any problem with an ECV and a few extra passengers.

Source for SUV weight: https://cars.lovetoknow.com/List_of_Car_Weights
I’m not thinking weight will be the challenge of 2 ECV’s but more, will 2 ECVs fit inside a gondola?

well, if it is specifically just heights - does that person ride the monorail? The monorail when it goes into the Contemporary is higher/as high as the Skyliner will get (especially when you factor in the monorail is on top of the support vs these hanging below

now, if it isn't *just* the height but more the "in a box hanging from a wire" that is the concern, that is something different
Nope, they’ve never been on the monorail - not because of the height but because they’ve never had a reason to ride it, so I am not sure how they would feel about it.

With the Skyliner, I think the height along with the illusion you’re just floating/flying with nothing underneath to support you makes it more nerve wracking.

I’m not thinking weight will be the challenge of 2 ECV’s but more, will 2 ECVs fit inside a gondola?

Weight is not going to be an issue for ECVs. While heavy, they aren't significantly so. Powerchairs tend to be considerably heavier, often as much as 800 lbs.

As to whether 2 ECVs may fit in a single gondola car, it may depend on the brand/model of ECV. But I believe it's possible. If I recall, length of the gondola cabin is ~104". ECVs must be no longer than 48", and most are closer to 45". Even straight in 2 should fit, and if angled at all 2 would definitely fit. And some are smaller, particularly some personally-owned models, while the rentals tend to be larger. 2 wheelchairs will likely be an easier fit as those tend to be shorter length; most wheelchairs should be able to turn around as well.

Whether rules will allow for 2 in the same car might be a bigger question.

Nope, they’ve never been on the monorail - not because of the height but because they’ve never had a reason to ride it, so I am not sure how they would feel about it.

With the Skyliner, I think the height along with the illusion you’re just floating/flying with nothing underneath to support you makes it more nerve wracking.

I certainly can understand that if it is also concern of hanging, etc.

Have seen some people freaked out about the height aspect, thinking of then being like hundreds of feet off the ground and when mentioning they aren't higher than monorail sometimes helps

Hi, couple of questions...
I am trying to figure out the route for from POP to HS... Am I correct in speculating that it stops at Caribbean Beach every time? Also, it appears that we would now have transportation from POP to Caribbean Beach ( and back ) to go have a meal there? Am I reading into this correctly? TIA

I am trying to figure out the route for from POP to HS... Am I correct in speculating that it stops at Caribbean Beach every time? Also, it appears that we would now have transportation from POP to Caribbean Beach ( and back ) to go have a meal there? Am I reading into this correctly? TIA
Yes from Pop to HS you will stop at CBR get off and get in another line to go to HS.

Yes, that's correct.

Yes from Pop to HS you will stop at CBR get off and get in another line to go to HS.

There's a similar thread on the Disabilities forum that asked this same question, and they were told that No, you don't switch at CBR, that they have separate lines. Now I'm really confused.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter