Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

There is a really wide variance in the size and weight of ECVs. The smallest folding travel scooters can weigh as little as 39 lbs, while the largest 4-wheels can weigh up to 400 lbs. I think that the capacity is going to depend a lot of what size the scooters are; two of the little travel versions would probably be fine.

This is true of wheelchairs as well: The typical steel rental wheelchair takes a large turning radius and weighs over 50 lbs, but most user-propelled personal chairs have a lot of non-metal or alloy components that reduce the weight to less than 20, and usually have smaller wheels and a much tighter radius. Two of those smaller chairs would also probably fit.
Even at 400#, an ecv with rider would weigh less than 5 people, so weight would not be a problem.

It's just an issue of physical space and maneuvering space.

😭

We leave August 24th. When I booked my trip back in February I was so positive they would be open. Actually at the time I was hopeful for MMRR, space restaurant and the skyliner. Silly me!
I'm right there with you. We eliminated our HS day after the MMRR announcement and moved to Pop because the Skyliner was so far ahead of schedule. On the plus side, I don't have to worry about the months-behind refurb at ASMo anymore.

August 28th or otherwise... it’s getting close!!

So...those of you with someone fearful of heights in your group...how are you convincing them to ride?!

Would it be wrong for me to say it’s he only way to get to HS and Epcot 🙈😝

We were in Epcot yesterday (7/11) and took a minute to look for the skyliner's visual intrusion. It was only as we were walking from France towards the UK that we first saw them. Never noticed them from across the lagoon (say from Mexico) so I don't think fears of breaking theme are an issue. I found the view from the bridge near IG to be interesting to watch them travel along. Didn't feel at all that they were "out of place".

We were in Epcot yesterday (7/11) and took a minute to look for the skyliner's visual intrusion. It was only as we were walking from France towards the UK that we first saw them. Never noticed them from across the lagoon (say from Mexico) so I don't think fears of breaking theme are an issue. I found the view from the bridge near IG to be interesting to watch them travel along. Didn't feel at all that they were "out of place".

I had posted up a bit a video the DIS did of EPCOT construction and they had in there video of both the angle from Inside France where you can see them go by and then from the bridge ... so definitely if you know where to look you will be able to see them, but I really think that unless you are looking for them, you really won't notice them

The one area I am curious / worried about a bit is the new courtyard they are building in France for getting to the entrance to the Rat ride as it appears the skyliner nearly goes right over it, so hard to not notice them, and will that look alright and "not out of place" as you put it, or will it stand out. Guess we shall see

August 28th or otherwise... it’s getting close!!

So...those of you with someone fearful of heights in your group...how are you convincing them to ride?!

Would it be wrong for me to say it’s he only way to get to HS and Epcot 🙈😝

well, if it is specifically just heights - does that person ride the monorail? The monorail when it goes into the Contemporary is higher/as high as the Skyliner will get (especially when you factor in the monorail is on top of the support vs these hanging below

now, if it isn't *just* the height but more the "in a box hanging from a wire" that is the concern, that is something different

The one area I am curious / worried about a bit is the new courtyard they are building in France for getting to the entrance to the Rat ride as it appears the skyliner nearly goes right over it, so hard to not notice them, and will that look alright and "not out of place" as you put it, or will it stand out.
Good question. I didn't look from that angle. But I'd guess you would be looking out of the park at that point (ie, towards the friendship boat dock) and the juxtaposition with "Paris" would have been lost anyway.

Good question. I didn't look from that angle. But I'd guess you would be looking out of the park at that point (ie, towards the friendship boat dock) and the juxtaposition with "Paris" would have been lost anyway.

yeah, good point - if you look at this recent areal the gondolas basicalyl go over the courtyard and if you look at them from the center of the couryard you would have the Eiffel Tower and stuff to you back and you would see this new structure being bult that has a roof line very similar to the buildings along the side of the path outside the park that leads you to bag check, etc. So my guess is that view would all sort of tie together along with the gondola station that has a bit of a Parisian feel - or at least "European"

The one area I am curious / worried about a bit is the new courtyard they are building in France for getting to the entrance to the Rat ride as it appears the skyliner nearly goes right over it, so hard to not notice them, and will that look alright and "not out of place" as you put it, or will it stand out. Guess we shall see
I’m with you here. I do think it will look a bit out of place in this area. I think it will throw off the sight line and forced perspective.

Looks like we’ll miss out on the gondolas this year. 😭

The big decision for our 2020 trip: New Grand Destino Tower or CBR for the new transportation

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter