Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Eh, I don't know. The gondolas aren't any different than the monorail in that regard. You don't have to be staying on the monorail loop to use those.
The monorails are nearly 50 years old (not new and shiny), are at resorts with typically 2 other ways to get to the parks (busses and boats), and and are at resorts that are destinations in and of themselves. Plus, the hotel monorails aren’t the only monorails. You can take them to ttc and from mk to Epcot. Not the same situation.

Maybe there will be kind of a "resort loop" and "express to Magic Kingdom" division to the Skyliner. I could see people being restricted from, say, joyriding out to Pop Century, but not from riding EPCOT to DHS.

Perhaps certain routes or lines are what you'd have to boop your band to do.

View attachment 320737
Per bioconstruct. I had faith they’d mask the gondolas from inside the park and not ruin this forced perspective but now I’m not so sure

They still have the back courtyard entrance to Ratatouille to build and can put up a tree or two. The Towers will the the highest point.

Not saying that if you are really like ok’ing for it you won’t be able to even see a sign of the gondolas but I don’t think they will truly break up the immersion’s for those not specifically looking for it - but guess we shall see

The monorails are nearly 50 years old (not new and shiny), are at resorts with typically 2 other ways to get to the parks (busses and boats), and and are at resorts that are destinations in and of themselves. Plus, the hotel monorails aren’t the only monorails. You can take them to ttc and from mk to Epcot. Not the same situation.

The Riviera Resort is going to have a rooftop restaurant that will likely attract non resort guests and perhaps other amenities as well. Also, the gondolas will go from EPCOT to DHS AND people often ride the monorail just for kicks so yeah, it is the same situation.

The Riviera Resort is going to have a rooftop restaurant that will likely attract non resort guests and perhaps other amenities as well. Also, the gondolas will go from EPCOT to DHS AND people often ride the monorail just for kicks so yeah, it is the same situation.
So, that may be where the suggestion that maybe you’ll have to tap in to go to Pop but not between DHS and Epcot. Also, there’s not a boat from Pop to the Magic kingdom and nobody is going out of their way to Pop to shop or eat. There’s the busses and this gondola and they’re trying to take pressure off the busses. The point is to improve the capacity of their transit system before their 50th anniversary and before Star Wars hits.

The other difference that I wonder about, but don’t know is capacity. Will this gondola system have the same capacity that the monorails do. That would be another reason to limit it more than the monorails since, again, if it’s not usable as a transportation option because it takes too long, it defeats the purpose.

The other ugly truth is if they make access more exclusive, they can then use it as a reason to charge more for those resorts.

Look, they may leave it wide open and anyone can ride anywhere. I’m just saying, I can see reasons for them to limit who can ride it (or at least parts of it) for practical reasons. Especially depending on its main intent and what problem they were trying to solve by building it.

Last edited:
The other difference that I wonder about, but don’t know is capacity. Will this gondola system have the same capacity that the monorails do. That would be another reason to limit it more than the monorails since, again, if it’s not usable as a transportation option because it takes too long, it defeats the purpose.

Everything I've read indicates that the gondolas will have higher capacity then the monorail, along with being continuous load.

Also, they are billing the CBR station as a "destination" to eat and relax, so I'm not sure how theyd then control who rides the gondolas.

The monorail and Epcot area resorts aren't exclusive transportation, but they still charge more for their rooms, especially the monorail resorts. And those monorail resorts do have only one way to get to Epcot, similar to how it may be for the gondola resorts.

So, that may be where the suggestion that maybe you’ll have to tap in to go to Pop but not between DHS and Epcot.
There's no practical way to restrict access by destination. If the line from Epcot to CBR continues on to either Pop or DHS, all cabins slow and the doors open at every intermediate station. I assume the doors are opened mechanically by a device along the rail (there's no power to the cabins other than a battery.) I suppose it would be possible to invent a mechanism on the cabin that inhibits the doors opening, but it's not likely they would want to introduce that complexity and the additional safety implications.

If the line ends at CBR at everyone has to get off & transfer, do you think they would tell non-hotel Guests "Sorry, you have to go back where you came"?

I think it's either all access or none for day guests.

There's no practical way to restrict access by destination. If the line from Epcot to CBR continues on to either Pop or DHS, all cabins slow and the doors open at every intermediate station. I assume the doors are opened mechanically by a device along the rail (there's no power to the cabins other than a battery.) I suppose it would be possible to invent a mechanism on the cabin that inhibits the doors opening, but it's not likely they would want to introduce that complexity and the additional safety implications.

If the line ends at CBR at everyone has to get off & transfer, do you think they would tell non-hotel Guests "Sorry, you have to go back where you came"?

I think it's either all access or none for day guests.

They could do it the same way they do for FP+. You don’t scan your badge on the Pirates of the Caribbean boat. They make you scan in to enter the FP+ line. There will almost certainly be a line to get on these gondolas. (Unless this is so amazingly efficient there is no line, in which case, nevermine. Lol)

They still have the back courtyard entrance to Ratatouille to build and can put up a tree or two. The Towers will the the highest point.

Not saying that if you are really like ok’ing for it you won’t be able to even see a sign of the gondolas but I don’t think they will truly break up the immersion’s for those not specifically looking for it - but guess we shall see
That’s true that they have to build the rat show building. I’m just worried that one or all of these is going to mess with the forced perspective on the Eiffel Tower

They could do it the same way they do for FP+. You don’t scan your badge on the Pirates of the Caribbean boat. They make you scan in to enter the FP+ line. There will almost certainly be a line to get on these gondolas. (Unless this is so amazingly efficient there is no line, in which case, nevermine. Lol)
That would be all or none, like I said. There's no way to allow Guests access for one destination but not another, because all cabins follow the same route.

That would be all or none, like I said. There's no way to allow Guests access for one destination but not another, because all cabins follow the same route.
It depends on if it’s one big loop and you just stay in the same cabin until you’re ready to exit or if you have to take a series of gondolas to get to your destination.

I dunno. All I know is, if the intent is to take pressure off the bus system, the only way to do that is for this to be as good as or better than the bus (because people are going to take the path of least resistance for their daily commute to the parks). That’s not going to happen if this thing takes 3 hours (between the lines and the actual ride) to get from Epcot to Pop because of everyone joyriding.

But, we’ll see.

It depends on if it’s one big loop and you just stay in the same cabin until you’re ready to exit or if you have to take a series of gondolas to get to your destination.

I dunno. All I know is, if the intent is to take pressure off the bus system, the only way to do that is for this to be as good as or better than the bus (because people are going to take the path of least resistance for their daily commute to the parks). That’s not going to happen if this thing takes 3 hours (between the lines and the actual ride) to get from Epcot to Pop because of everyone joyriding.

But, we’ll see.
The only route that will be a through route is CBR to Epcot, with a slow to load/unload at Riviera. Hourly capacity on each gondola route is projected to be in the 4,000-5,000 range which means that they likely won't be resort exclusive. A single monorail only holds about 240 people for comparison.

But, we’ll see.

I don't see any point in restricting it. They don't restrict buses, nor for that matter do they restrict things like Uber. The only likely time it will hit capacity and see any wait times is at park closing. Otherwise, it doesn't matter if people get on the skyliner to "joyride" as you say. The one downside I see is people choosing to park at CBR and take the skyliner over to a park but we all know that security isn't the best at stopping that.

This isn't to take pressure off the bus system, by the way, that's a nice perk. But let's not forget, they need something unique and good transportation for the Riviera DVC property. If they don't have something, it's not going to sell at the current price per point no matter how beautiful.

I don't see any point in restricting it. They don't restrict buses, nor for that matter do they restrict things like Uber. The only likely time it will hit capacity and see any wait times is at park closing. Otherwise, it doesn't matter if people get on the skyliner to "joyride" as you say. The one downside I see is people choosing to park at CBR and take the skyliner over to a park but we all know that security isn't the best at stopping that.

This isn't to take pressure off the bus system, by the way, that's a nice perk. But let's not forget, they need something unique and good transportation for the Riviera DVC property. If they don't have something, it's not going to sell at the current price per point no matter how beautiful.
The only reason they’d restrict it is if they foresee capacity problems. And I don’t know if they do or not. Just saying that’s the one argument to do it.

I don’t understand why anyone is really worried about who can ride and where they want to go. Disney is overcrowded and nothing will fix that. This is just another option plain and simple. We joy ride the monorail first thing every trip. I’m sure we will take the gondola from Epcot to HS or back at some point but if it had a long line we can easily take a water taxi, minivans or a bus. I’m just glad for one more option.

I don’t understand why anyone is really worried about who can ride and where they want to go. Disney is overcrowded and nothing will fix that. This is just another option plain and simple. We joy ride the monorail first thing every trip. I’m sure we will take the gondola from Epcot to HS or back at some point but if it had a long line we can easily take a water taxi, minivans or a bus. I’m just glad for one more option.
To be clear, I don’t care who rides it. Someone essentially said they didn’t understand why Disney would limit it. I’m just saying I think it depends on what Disney is trying to achieve and if capacity is an issue. I don’t actually care. I’m planning on visiting Feb 2019 and halfway talked myself into POFQ so the probability of me riding it any time in the remotely near future is low.

Maybe while they grow trees and otherwise adjust sight-lines in Epcot to hide the gondolas they can also do something to hide the ToT or the Swolphin resorts. :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter