Disney set to invest $17B in Florida parks, opening door for 5th theme park

Now that I clicked the link it looks like the Skift story was licensed out directly to Yahoo, which is just gross in a different way.
Yeah, one needs to pay attention when reading articles on news aggregation sites to see what the original source is. I have a few keyword alerts set on Google News and many of the search results they send me are purely clickbait sites.

Problem is that WDW moves at such a glacially slow pace, that I can't even get excited over the idea of a 5th park, given how long it'll probably take to bring to fruition.

Universal's Epic Universe is already opening next year and it seems not that long ago that they started construction.
And they already have expansion plans for EPIC.

Reactions: shh

If Disney does build a new theme park, I just hope it isn't 100% based on existing Disney characters and intellectual properties. I mean, they're OK, but PLEASE throw in some original new rides that are built around original characters, too. Let imagineers do their thing.

Remember, some of the most iconic attractions were NOT IP based when they were built...Haunted Mansion...Pirates of the Caribbean...even Carousel of Progress and it's successor, the defunct, bicentennial themed America Sings at Disneyland. That is where most of the animatronics for Splash Mountain originally came from, other than the "Brer" characters. And have a good mix, like they usually do, of thrill rides, gentle rides and good stage shows. And please use realistic animatronics, with out projected faces...and rely much less on projection technology overall.

Those old iconic rides are still holding up too, because the scripting and storylines were sheer genius, I mean...think about writing scripts like, "Welcome, Foolish Mortals" or "Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding" today!

I don't think I'd want a whole Villians park, but a fairly large Villians Lair themed land would be very interesting.

Last edited:
Those old iconic rides are still holding up too, because the scripting and storylines were sheer genius, I mean...think about writing scripts like, "Welcome, Foolish Mortals" or "Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding" today!
This is a good place to ask this question, and it is genuine. Why does one of the oldest attractions in all of WDW/DLR (since 1955) consistently have a long wait time every day? Peter Pan's Flight is based on a 1953 movie and has changed little since then. It's not a thrill ride, and obviously has dated scenery, etc. Why do guests never get tired of it?

Maybe today's Imagineers need to read some company history and try to replicate what was done 70 years ago when DLR first opened.

Why does one of the oldest attractions in all of WDW/DLR (since 1955) consistently have a long wait time every day? Peter Pan's Flight is based on a 1953 movie and has changed little since then. It's not a thrill ride, and obviously has dated scenery, etc. Why do guests never get tired of it?
Perhaps because the less interesting attractions from back then have been changed or removed?

Pan’s Flight is quaint and outdated, but is still one of the more unique rides. And Magic Kingdom is filled with mid- and low-level rides.

I would have to bribe my kids with Mickey Pretzels to get them to ride PPF again. After riding it one time, they couldn’t believe it was one of the rides with the longest wait times.

This is a good place to ask this question, and it is genuine. Why does one of the oldest attractions in all of WDW/DLR (since 1955) consistently have a long wait time every day? Peter Pan's Flight is based on a 1953 movie and has changed little since then. It's not a thrill ride, and obviously has dated scenery, etc. Why do guests never get tired of it?

Maybe today's Imagineers need to read some company history and try to replicate what was done 70 years ago when DLR first opened.
Peter Pan has an hourly capacity of around 800 guests. Add in Genie+ in the WDW version which cuts the standby capacity in half and that equates to long wait times.

Perhaps because the less interesting attractions from back then have been changed or removed?
Also the nostalgia. I'm old, I grew up going to Disneyland as a child, living in the greater Los Angeles area. I have fond memories of my Mom and at Disneyland, and her clappity clapping through the park in her high heels in the 1960s. I always try to ride Peter Pan when I'm at Disney, IF the wait time is 45 minutes or less. My nostalgia does have limits. :laughing:

SInce we're on the subject of a new park, how cool would it be tohave a Viilians Lair land with the "anti-hero" versions of existing rides, like Captain Hook instead of Peter Pan, Ursula instead of Little Mermaid...I wouldn't want a whole Villians themed park, like said before, but a large, well themed Villans Lair land would be cool.

Last edited:
Also the nostalgia. I'm old, I grew up going to Disneyland as a child, living in the greater Los Angeles area. I have fond memories of my Mom and at Disneyland, and her clappity clapping through the park in her high heels in the 1960s. I always try to ride Peter Pan when I'm at Disney, IF the wait time is 45 minutes or less. My nostalgia does have limits. :laughing:

SInce we're on the subject of a new park, how cool would it be tohave a Viilians Lair land with the "anti-hero" versions of existing rides, like Captain Hook instead of Peter Pan, Ursula instead of Little Mermaid...I wouldn't want a whole Villians themed park, like said before, but a large, well themed Villans Lair land would be cool.
If we get a villains land, we also better get a villains character dining experience. I'd be willing to throw ridiculous amounts of money at Disney for "Maleficent's Royal Table."

Meanwhile Josh D'amaro at D23 "...but how about that new Communicore Hall, eh guys?! It has FESTIVAL SPACE! 😀"

They're better BRING IT with some huge announcements in the coming months. They're 5-10 years behind their biggest competitor and losing more ground and market share every day. I love Disney but they need to step it up bigtime and throwing some explosions in BTMR ain't it.

Im looking forward to Disney starting to invent things we can be happy about.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest