Disney now charging handling fees for grocery deliveries

Does this also apply to DVC rooms or is it like the package charges that get waived if you are staying on points?

Its written in the contracts that Disney will hold onto your deliveries for free?
I think the idea is that since DVC dues explicitly cover the incurred costs so if the costs are passed to DVC then they are paying their share always. Take parking for an example: since DVC dues cover parking as a line item they can't charge for parking because it is shared cost to DVC, thus Disney would be double dipping if they charged DVC for parking.

Since DVC members pay for the salary (at their proportional share) of the employees of a resort does Disney charging the fee double dip? I really don't know the answer on that. It's not about being explicitly called out its a question of what DVC dues cover then, if this fee is for the extra costs, are they then passing on the increased costs into the dues down the line? Or does DVC only pay their share of the salary, electricity, etc. less the $6 fees collected, which are being advertised to offset the increased costs. Hopefully that makes sense, but I'm fairly certain that was the posters comment and it's less DVC contracts and more Florida law that would cover this.

I think the idea is that since DVC dues explicitly cover the incurred costs so if the costs are passed to DVC then they are paying their share always. Take parking for an example: since DVC dues cover parking as a line item they can't charge for parking because it is shared cost to DVC, thus Disney would be double dipping if they charged DVC for parking.

Since DVC members pay for the salary (at their proportional share) of the employees of a resort does Disney charging the fee double dip? I really don't know the answer on that. It's not about being explicitly called out its a question of what DVC dues cover then, if this fee is for the extra costs, are they then passing on the increased costs into the dues down the line? Or does DVC only pay their share of the salary, electricity, etc. less the $6 fees collected, which are being advertised to offset the increased costs. Hopefully that makes sense, but I'm fairly certain that was the posters comment and it's less DVC contracts and more Florida law that would cover this.
That makes sense. I do wonder if Disney/DVC doesn't consider this as part of the dues since its more an extra service? I obviously don't know all the contract terms.

That makes sense. I do wonder if Disney/DVC doesn't consider this as part of the dues since its more an extra service? I obviously don't know all the contract terms.
All costs at the hotel are passed to DVC members at their share of cost to the resort (based on assumed occupancy), there isn't an above and beyond. Take for instance a DVC exclusive resort where it is clear that this would be double dipping if it does apply. 100% of the costs to run that resort go to members. Though as long as the income from these package fees show up on the Dues sheets it is kosher, parking fees Disney collects for rooms that go unrented by member (breakage) show up as an income to members.

Edit: Perhaps they claiming it as a mandatory gratuity of sorts which then would make sense and members would never see it. Though all indications are its not that, correct?

Makes sense and I am not sure if Florida law would apply in this case since we own at Grand Californian and live in California. But California laws tend to be a lot stricter, for example, there is a maximum amount our dues can increase by each year by law.

So, I would imagine California would have a similar law.

Even us members don't know all of the terms, but bell services is supposed to be part of the dues, so I don't see how this would be allowed, but I would have to review the contract to see if it is or not, as I don't have every bit of it memorized obviously.

Low? I would actually consider this quite high, these are high end resorts that shouldn't be dinging for every little thing like this.

I just said this in another thread -

There are zillions (hyperbole) of threads on here and elsewhere with non-DVC guests discussing their grocery orders. While I don't doubt some are needed due to allergies/medical reasons, others are just to save money on buying food at Disney. While there are no rules against that, with this influx of grocery deliveries, Disney has to store and then deliver all these groceries. They have to have staffing and storage solutions for it (including cold storage).
Thus your $6 charge.

Even if it is Disney's way of trying to curb all the grocery orders, I really don't blame them. :)

It’s not a little thing. It’s a lot of work for the resort staff.

If people don’t want to pay the $6 then meet the delivery person in the lobby. Problem solved.
How do you meet the delivery person in the lobby when the resort won't allow the. To deliver to the lobby because they have to come through the delivery entrance?

And so what if it is a little extra work for them or even a lot? At the prices charged per night, it isn't a big deal. Even many cheap motels will offer to receive and refrigerate packages for free as well as deliver them to your room, I have even had some cheap hotels offer to out stuff in the in room fridge and made it clear no tip was needed or expected nor would there be any fee for doing so.

So, I standby my comment that somewhere that charges as much as Disney does, which is substantially more than these cheap rooms should NOT be charging for this minor service.

They also should not be charging for parking, they should not be charging a resort fee or any other fees, the price quoted should be the price including all taxes and fees.

I just said this in another thread -

There are zillions (hyperbole) of threads on here and elsewhere with non-DVC guests discussing their grocery orders. While I don't doubt some are needed due to allergies/medical reasons, others are just to save money on buying food at Disney. While there are no rules against that, with this influx of grocery deliveries, Disney has to store and then deliver all these groceries. They have to have staffing and storage solutions for it (including cold storage).
Thus your $6 charge.

Even if it is Disney's way of trying to curb all the grocery orders, I really don't blame them. :)
I do blame them, it is simply a cash grab.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter