Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to share some data on crowd levels and wait times to help ease the mind of those that might be panicking about a trip in the near future. Perhaps it will provide some perspective on what we are actually seeing live on the ground. Touringplans.com has been collecting real time data on actual attraction wait times for more than a decade. They use this to predict future waits, but they also share past data as a reference point.

I’ve reviewed that data for the last six weeks and compared it to the data for the same time period from 2019. These wait times are actual times. They are crowd sourced by people on the ground, not the posted wait times from Disney. It is also useful to know that these times are for standby lines.

In 2019, the average actual resort wide historical crowd level (a measure of wait times not bodies in the park) was just over 5 on a scale of 1-10. For that same period in 2021 it has been just under 2.

To give some specific examples here are the average wait times for yesterday vs those same attractions on that same day in 2019 (I chose to use the Friday following Memorial Day in 2019, which happened to be different than the first Friday in June, but the numbers on both were very similar)
MK
SDMT: 2019- 94 min, 2021- 53 minutes
HM: 2019 – 51 min, 2021- 25 min
SM:2019 – 78 min, 2021 – 45 min
Splash Mount:2019 – 89 min, 2021 – 60 min
PPF:2019 – 69 min, 2021 -34 min
BUZZ: 2019 – 51 min, 2021 24 minutes
HS
A2S: 2019 – 35 min, 2021- 22 min,
SDD: 2019 – 81 min, 2021 – 68 min,
TSMM: 2019-54 min, 2021 – 36 min
TZTT: 2019 – 103, 2021 – 32 min.

I’m tired of typing so I’m not going to continue, but rest assured the trends you see above continues across all four parks and has been constant for at least the last six weeks. Also know that the above waits are the average across the entire day. The wait is much shorter at certain times of day. Also know the “rope drop” advantage that has existed for years has not been nearly as evident recently. Early morning is not necessarily the best time to ride many rides anymore. In some cases, it is actually now the worst time or longest wait, headliners tend to spike within 30 minutes of open and then fall throughout the day.

I understand that there is no FP+, and those on this forum are experienced visitors who knew how to best take advantage of that systems, but if you take a little time to learn the ins and out of the current reality you can be just as effective in maximizing your time.
I hope that eases your minds at least a little.
Finally, since I am posting and rarely do, Thanks to MrsAP, and I wouldn’t object to an extra dance to bring back some boardwalk entertainment, and a little extra restaurant capacity for my trip which begins a week from today.
This is SO awesome and helpful! THANK YOU!!!

I wanted to share some data on crowd levels and wait times to help ease the mind of those that might be panicking about a trip in the near future. Perhaps it will provide some perspective on what we are actually seeing live on the ground. Touringplans.com has been collecting real time data on actual attraction wait times for more than a decade. They use this to predict future waits, but they also share past data as a reference point.

I’ve reviewed that data for the last six weeks and compared it to the data for the same time period from 2019. These wait times are actual times. They are crowd sourced by people on the ground, not the posted wait times from Disney. It is also useful to know that these times are for standby lines.

In 2019, the average actual resort wide historical crowd level (a measure of wait times not bodies in the park) was just over 5 on a scale of 1-10. For that same period in 2021 it has been just under 2.

To give some specific examples here are the average wait times for yesterday vs those same attractions on that same day in 2019 (I chose to use the Friday following Memorial Day in 2019, which happened to be different than the first Friday in June, but the numbers on both were very similar)
MK
HS

I’m tired of typing so I’m not going to continue, but rest assured the trends you see above continues across all four parks and has been constant for at least the last six weeks. Also know that the above waits are the average across the entire day. The wait is much shorter at certain times of day. Also know the “rope drop” advantage that has existed for years has not been nearly as evident recently. Early morning is not necessarily the best time to ride many rides anymore. In some cases, it is actually now the worst time or longest wait, headliners tend to spike within 30 minutes of open and then fall throughout the day.

I understand that there is no FP+, and those on this forum are experienced visitors who knew how to best take advantage of that systems, but if you take a little time to learn the ins and out of the current reality you can be just as effective in maximizing your time.
Finally, since I am posting and rarely do, Thanks to MrsAP, and I wouldn’t object to an extra dance to bring back some boardwalk entertainment, and a little extra restaurant capacity for my trip which begins a week from today.
Awesome information-thanks for doing the work and for such an informative post!

MK
HS

Yes, but in 2019 there were FastPasses. No getting around waiting in every single line now unless you do a VIP Tour or are a part of Club 33. I am on-site and we leave tomorrow. We had plans to go to the MK tomorrow morning but my kids don’t want to go because of the long lines and the heat.

Because of every other line in the queues being closed for social distancing, most of the waiting is outside in the heat, not inside in the air conditioned queues. Which is really ironic as people are congregating under the umbrellas to get out of the sun. No social distancing in the outdoor queues.

Yes, but in 2019 there were FastPasses. No getting around waiting in every single line now unless you do a VIP Tour or are a part of Club 33. I am on-site and we leave tomorrow. We had plans to go to the MK tomorrow morning but my kids don’t want to go because of the long lines and the heat.

Because of every other line in the queues being closed for social distancing, most of the waiting is outside in the heat, not inside in the air conditioned queues. Which is really ironic as people are congregating under the umbrellas to get out of the sun. No social distancing in the outdoor queues.
We were at MK today and this really wasn't our experience. Longest wait today was Seven Dwarfs and that was 35 minutes first thing in the morning. Space mountain was down all morning but we waited 30 mins once it came back up. We accomplished so much today that by 3:00 we were ready to head back to the resort and swim. It did get humid and hot in the afternoon but it was overall a great day!

We were at MK today and this really wasn't our experience. Longest wait today was Seven Dwarfs and that was 35 minutes first thing in the morning. Space mountain was down all morning but we waited 30 mins once it came back up. We accomplished so much today that by 3:00 we were ready to head back to the resort and swim. It did get humid and hot in the afternoon but it was overall a great day!

Sounds good to me!! Enjoy the rest of your trip!!! 🙂

I make sure to hit up Friendlys for a Hunka Chunka Peanut Butter Fudge Sundae anytime we go back up north. It’s hands down my favorite desert. Can’t wait to try this out on our September trip 😍
What's this? I'm a northerner (Chicago area) and I've never heard of this fabulous sounding place and its fabulous sounding sundae. I'm guessing this is an east coast thing? Meantime, the hot fudge sundae I had at the Plaza last week was not too shabby :)

Plaza.JPG

What's this? I'm a northerner (Chicago area) and I've never heard of this fabulous sounding place and its fabulous sounding sundae. I'm guessing this is an east coast thing? Meantime, the hot fudge sundae I had at the Plaza last week was not too shabby :)

View attachment 580241
Friendly's is a fantastic restaurant that used to be all over the east coast. Now most of the southern ones have closed and it's mostly in the northeast, no more in VA so I don't get there very often. It's a restaurant with a pretty standard menu (burgers, chicken, fries, etc), but they have some of the best ice cream and sundaes I've had!

If it’s the same Howl-O-Scream as Busch Gardens, it’s like Halloween Horror Nights lite. Good event for the price!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter