Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

As much a part of Disney history as anyone.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/remembering-disney-legend-richard-m-sherman/

May 25, 2024

Remembering Disney Legend Richard M. Sherman​

Disney Legend Richard M. Sherman, half of the Academy Award®-winning songwriting team of the Sherman Brothers (with his late brother, Disney Legend Robert B. Sherman), passed away Saturday, May 25, at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Beverly Hills, due to age-related illness. He was 95 years old. One of the most prolific composer-lyricists in the history of family entertainment, and a key member of Walt Disney’s inner circle of creative talents, Richard garnered nine Academy Award nominations (winning two Oscars® for his work on the 1964 classic Mary Poppins), won three GRAMMY® Awards, and received 24 gold and platinum albums over the course of his 65 year career. His career ran the gamut from the early days of rock n’ roll (with such hits as “You’re Sixteen”) and television to Broadway and Hollywood.

May 25, 2024

Disney Legend Richard M. Sherman, half of the Academy Award®-winning songwriting team of the Sherman Brothers (with his late brother, Disney Legend Robert B. Sherman), passed away Saturday, May 25, at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Beverly Hills, due to age-related illness. He was 95 years old. One of the most prolific composer-lyricists in the history of family entertainment, and a key member of Walt Disney’s inner circle of creative talents, Richard garnered nine Academy Award nominations (winning two Oscars® for his work on the 1964 classic Mary Poppins), won three GRAMMY® Awards, and received 24 gold and platinum albums over the course of his 65 year career. His career ran the gamut from the early days of rock n’ roll (with such hits as “You’re Sixteen”) and television to Broadway and Hollywood.

The Piano in Walt's office shall never play again. ☹️ Thanks for all of the great music that you provided, sir - RIP.

May 25, 2024

What a legend.

A baby Eland was born today on the Uzima Savanna at AKL. We had so much fun watching it from our balcony. Keepers will watch over it all night unless the mom returns to the barn with it. They told me it was born earlier than they expected and wouldn’t normally have been born on the savanna. It’s so cute!!
IMG_2436.jpeg

IMG_9292.jpeg

IMG_9291.jpeg

I must say, I’m really disappointed in the Disney resort tv. I love the old one with the magical music, showing all the times for the parks etc.

I tried to link YouTube on the TV to actually play that cause someone has a station on YouTube for it, but of course Disney doesn’t allow YouTube to link.

It’s literally just the same “ beat “ over and over now on the main screen page. The actually Disney channels are disappointing. I miss the one with the fun woman I remember from years ago.

The channel that shows Disney videos plays the same maybe 6 songs over and over.

I know it’s something small but it really made the trip exciting years ago. Couldn’t wait to hear the resort Tv station.

Now it’s just generic and boring. Come on Disney. The simple things were good. Now they aren’t special anymore

Last edited:
I must say, I’m really disappointed in the Disney resort tv. I love the old one with the magical music, showing all the times for the parks etc.

I tried to link YouTube on the TV to actually play that cause someone has a station on YouTube for it, but of course Disney doesn’t allow YouTube to link.

It’s literally just the same “ beat “ over and over now on the main screen page. The actually Disney channels are disappointing. I miss the one with the fun woman I remember from years ago.

The channel that shows Disney videos plays the same maybe 6 songs over and over.

I know it’s something small but it really made the trip exciting years ago. Couldn’t wait to hear the resort Tv station.

Now it’s just generic and boring. Come on Disney. The simple things were good. Now they aren’t special anymore
RIP MUST DO DISNEY AND STACEY!

tumblr_ma5yejC4DT1rv0uqpo1_500.gif

84a6efec5da38b217e59fcfebf096473.gif

tumblr_m809i1biCU1rv0uqpo1_400.gif

We totally agree. It is such a disappointment. IDK who thought that was a good idea. I've actually tried bringing our firestick to stream it, but couldn't get it to work at pop last time. We're staying at GF next week and will try then too.

I doubt Disney cares since they expect and want you to be out of your room as much as possible. You're not spending money if you're watching YouTube on your resort TV! /s

Honoring the Fallen: A Reflection on Memorial Day 2024

Today, we at Disney Experiences bow our heads in remembrance of all the fallen U.S. military heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our country. Memorial Day is a day to reflect on and remember their valiant service as well as the families they left behind.

Missing Hero Tables at Disney Parks

Throughout Memorial Day weekend, we honor all fallen military service members with Missing Hero tables at select locations at Disneyland Resort and backstage locations at Walt Disney World Resort. These unique tables are steeped in military tradition and represent the emotions we feel for those who never returned home.

dfdfdf-768x1024.jpeg
dfjdfdjklfnkd-768x1024.jpeg

Guests at Disneyland can see these tables outside of Tiana’s Palace and inside the Blue Bayou Restaurant as well as the resort hotels.

Here are just a few of the aspects of the Missing Hero tables:
  • A slice of lemon on the bread plate reminds us of the bitter fate of those who will never return.
  • A pinch of salt symbolizes the tears endured by those who have sacrificed all.
  • An inverted glass is symbolic of those who cannot toast with us at this time.
  • The chair is empty, the seat that remains unclaimed at the table.

Sailors and Marines Come Ashore for a Day at Disneyland

We kicked off the Memorial Day weekend by surprising 100 Sailors and Marines in port for Los Angeles Fleet Week with a special day at Disneyland Resort. It was our honor to make some magic for them to recognize their military service.

jdkdfjkd-1024x683.jpg

While there, the Sailors and Marines enjoyed time inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, Mickey’s Toontown, and were celebrated with a march down Main Street, U.S.A.

They participated in a special Flag Retreat ceremony before enjoying the park on their own the rest of the day.

It was our honor to help these brave Sailors and Marines make some great memories while ashore for Fleet Week. We thank them and all service members working across the globe today to defend our country.

Talking Dug Debuts at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Good morning from Disney’s Animal Kingdom where Dug from Pixar’s UP! is feeling a bit more talkative today! With the aid of his translation collar, talking Dug can speak with guests as he roams around Discovery Island. There are no set times to meet with Dug, and he is no longer meeting at the Wilderness Explorers Club House (but Russell is still there!).

While visiting Disney’s Animal Kingdom today, we filmed some video of Dug as he was roaming Discovery Island! We found Dug roaming between the Viva Gaia Street Band stage and the Adventurer’s Outpost Mickey & Minnie meet and greet space. And for those wondering about Kevin, she is also still roaming in roughly the same area.

Scentsy’s New Smellephants on Parade Activation at Magic Kingdom Stinks, But Doesn’t Really Smell

smellephants-on-parade-bubblegum-05022024-4-1920x1080.jpg

The problem, we’ve found, is that the Smellephants don’t really smell like much. We’re told that the scents are distributed roughly every 10 minutes, which essentially makes catching a whiff a matter of luck. Not great for an activation sponsored by a multi-level marketing company built around scent.

Instead of turning the scents up, we’ve found that Disney dialed the other direction – making it almost impossible to smell anything. Over the past five visits or so, we haven’t smelled a single Smellephant. It was only while visiting today that we were able to smell two of the eight Smellephants.

In theory, you should be able to stand within 5 feet of the Smellephant and catch a whiff. That’s simply not the case for the majority of guests, and apparently a common complaint. If Scentsy isn’t able to crack the case here with the scent distribution, we’d at least like to see a scent box like they have at the EPCOT Flower and Garden Festival. Overall, while we initially had some praise for the offering (despite the multi-level marketing partnership), things need to change if Smellephants is going to live up to the billing from Disney.

8 Years Later: Streets of America Facade Demolition Continues at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Some eight years after it first began, demolition of the former Streets of America facades now continues at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. This particular facade was used to advertise apartments for rent and it could be found behind a backstage gate near the exit to MuppetVision 3D and Mama Melrose’s Restaurante Italiano. The facade hasn’t been used since the Streets of America section of Disney’s Hollywood Studios closed in 2016, and was most recently utilized as a meet and greet space for Phineas and Ferb (pictured below) before the closure.

StreetsOfAmericaMnG_01022016-3-1024x683.jpg

Earlier this month, demolition of the facade began. Here’s a look at the building as seen on a recent visit to Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

streets-america-san-francisco-facade-muppets-05272024-1-1920x1280.jpg

Diet EPCOT: Today Kicks Off Longest Festival-less Summer Since 2018

epcot-entrance-diet-no-decorations-05282024-1-2000x1125.jpg

It feels impossible, but there will not be an EPCOT Festival for another 93 days. To put that in perspective, we’re going to experience “diet EPCOT” for a little more than 25% of the year during the summer alone. In the post-COVID era, it’s unprecedented, but we don’t have to reach too far back in time to find a festival-less summer that stretches as long as this summer will.

The 2020 Taste of EPCOT Food & Wine Festival would run through November 22nd, ushering in a new era of year-round Festivals…or so it would seem.

EPCOT Food & Wine Festivals in 2021, 2022, and 2023 would follow the same trend of July start dates, but as pent-up demand started to wane, so did the appetite for a long, hot summer Festival.

This year, Disney has gone back to pre-COVID operations for the 2024 EPCOT Food & Wine Festival, giving guests a reprieve from food & merchandise kiosks around World Showcase, and returning EPCOT to its “diet” state (read: no festival).

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter