Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

My kids love Moana, but this trailer seems like one of those fan made trailers where they stitch together random clips with an irrelevant voiceover.

Well, it's the teaser trailer, so that's about usually how they go. I did like the clip at the end with Maui though, and the animation looks as gorgeous as ever. Not bad for something that was supposed to be a TV series.

I'll be surprised how Moana 2 shakes out at the box office. For a teaser, it doesn't have me excited to go back to this world.

Still . . . I have a gut feeling Wicked is going to perform well at the box office. Wicked has the feel of a pop cultural event and Moana 2 doesn't have the same cache. Plus, Wicked is very much cross-generational, family oriented, date-night oriented, can draw male and female audience goers, and like Moana 2 being released during the holidays.

As the PP noted, maybe the budget is so low that it will almost guarantee a profit at the box office? But, then again, D+ budgets aren't always that small (i.e. Willow-$150MM, Secret Invasion $200MM, and Percy Jackson-$100MM). So who knows.

I'll be surprised how Moana 2 shakes out at the box office. For a teaser, it doesn't have me excited to go back to this world.

Still . . . I have a gut feeling Wicked is going to perform well at the box office. Wicked has the feel of a pop cultural event and Moana 2 doesn't have the same cache. Plus, Wicked is very much cross-generational, family oriented, date-night oriented, can draw male and female audience goers, and like Moana 2 being released during the holidays.

As the PP noted, maybe the budget is so low that it will almost guarantee a profit at the box office? But, then again, D+ budgets aren't always that small (i.e. Willow-$150MM, Secret Invasion $200MM, and Percy Jackson-$100MM). So who knows.
With Wicked, I do wonder how people will respond when they find out that it's only part 1. The marketing is being VERY misleading with that point.

It feels like Moana 2 is focusing a lot on animals. I know its not coming to Animal Kingdom anymore but wonder if the original plans for a Moana attraction would have included all these animals?

I'll probably skip seeing it in theaters but I do think it's weird how the marketing is avoiding mentioning that this is the first part of a two part movie. The trailer looks like the movie will stop at the intermission.

I cna't even remember - did they do the same with Dune? I guess I always knew that was two parts, but I don't remember if the commercials made that obvious.

I cna't even remember - did they do the same with Dune? I guess I always knew that was two parts, but I don't remember if the commercials made that obvious.
I saw ads for Dune on Twitter and they said 'Dune Part 1' on them so at least I knew it was a 2 parter. The poster also says 'It Begins' on it, implying there will be a follow up.

Here's the official movie poster.

1717001016006.png

Disney has done the same thing with Avatar in its marketing. Avatar: Way of Water is not marketed as Avatar 2. How many people know that the fifth installment of Avatar (still untitled) is scheduled to be released in 7 1/2 years, more or less.

As Lionel Hutz once said, this is the most blatant case of false advertising since I sued the movie The Neverending Story. Ironically, a WB movie just like Dune. WB has been falsely advertising movies since the 80s. :)

Here's the official movie poster.

View attachment 864184

Disney has done the same thing with Avatar in its marketing. Avatar: Way of Water is not marketed as Avatar 2. How many people know that the fifth installment of Avatar (still untitled) is scheduled to be released in 7 1/2 years, more or less.

As Lionel Hutz once said, this is the most blatant case of false advertising since I sued the movie The Neverending Story. Ironically, a WB movie just like Dune. WB has been falsely advertising movies since the 80s. :)

Yeah, but it's one thing when we are talking about proper sequels, where each one has it's own story start to finish, but there is a deeper arc. It's another where, like Wicked, there is basically no story resolution until the second part, at least, I assume - I have never seen it, but the play is one part.

Yeah, but it's one thing when we are talking about proper sequels, where each one has it's own story start to finish, but there is a deeper arc. It's another where, like Wicked, there is basically no story resolution until the second part, at least, I assume - I have never seen it, but the play is one part.
One part, but two acts. I think the 2 part treatment will actually work really well for Wicked, they cut a lot of the original story in order to fit it into a 2.5 hour show

One part, but two acts. I think the 2 part treatment will actually work really well for Wicked, they cut a lot of the original story in order to fit it into a 2.5 hour show

I get what you are saying, but "acts" don't necessarily have a narrative conclusion - in fact they usually don't. That's different from sequels, even when part of a planned series. Each one will typically have a true conclusion for it's own story, even if contributing to ongoing plotlines. It might actually be good to market it as "Wicked: Act One."

or when they get greedy and try to make a three part movie series out of a short story ... I am looking at you Hobbit

Dune I did not mind being in multiple parts as they are doing more than just one book, and it is a lot.

Wicked not so sure needs to be multiple movies. I might have to go reread the Wicked book. I saw the Broadway show once and was thinking huh that seemed way different than what I remember reading. To be fair, I enjoyed the show more than the book.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest