Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Musicals are where they shine, though actually Box-Office wise, Encanto pretty decent, it didn't really blow-up until it was released on streaming. It did better than Raya though by a good bit.
It was released during a lot of COVID fears and rising infections. I think that had a lot to do with it. Then it went to streaming kinda quickly. But the songs, especially the Bruno one, seemed to be hits right away, before streaming.

I think Raya wasn't released in theaters at all.

It was released during a lot of COVID fears and rising infections. I think that had a lot to do with it. Then it went to streaming kinda quickly. But the songs, especially the Bruno one, seemed to be hits right away, before streaming.

Well, that's true. Covid played a part. That said, just look at the past 10 years of Disney movies, even live action. The original movies either fail or do okay and the sequesl and remakes make billions! Sure, there are exceptions and all, but just in general. And yet, people complain about too many sequels, when we only have ourselves to blame.

Well, that's true. Covid played a part. That said, just look at the past 10 years of Disney movies, even live action. The original movies either fail or do okay and the sequesl and remakes make billions! Sure, there are exceptions and all, but just in general. And yet, people complain about too many sequels, when we only have ourselves to blame.
I totally agree with you that people want sequels and it sells. If not, we wouldn't have so many Minions/Despicable Me stuff and Shrek/Puss stuff. And the Disney live action remakes, which I think is a different story. More like a refresh than a sequel. But yeah, I guess people like the familiar?

I just looked at past 10 yrs of Disney Animation Studios: Frozen, Moana, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana, Raya, Encanto. Within that time we had 2 sequels, Frozen 2 and Ralph 2. I think lots of successes in that list and two successful sequels. Moana was the biggest thing on Disney+ for a long time. Frozen went to Broadway. So I'm thinking we'll see a shift in strategy that brings more sequels than we're used to but we'll still see original stories cause surely they don't think original stories aren't successful in broad terms.

Encanto was amazing. Lin Manuel might be the new Howard Ashman. Let's see what he does next for Disney (I hope they keep collaborating).
This.

Encanto is to my daughter's generation what Frozen was to my son's. I'm kind of surprised they'd dig deeper into Frozen. Those kids who were originally hooked are moving on to high school years now. Encanto kids are 3, 4, 5, and have many years of Disney obsession (with merchandise desires) left.

It was, because that’s where I saw it on Mother’s Day, but it was deep in the lockdowns so most people didn’t want to go out (we were fine at a mostly-deserted, small town theatre)

I totally agree with you that people want sequels and it sells. If not, we wouldn't have so many Minions/Despicable Me stuff and Shrek/Puss stuff. And the Disney live action remakes, which I think is a different story. More like a refresh than a sequel. But yeah, I guess people like the familiar?

I just looked at past 10 yrs of Disney Animation Studios: Frozen, Moana, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana, Raya, Encanto. Within that time we had 2 sequels, Frozen 2 and Ralph 2. I think lots of successes in that list and two successful sequels. Moana was the biggest thing on Disney+ for a long time. Frozen went to Broadway. So I'm thinking we'll see a shift in strategy that brings more sequels than we're used to but we'll still see original stories cause surely they don't think original stories aren't successful in broad terms.

Some of those go back to the Disney "Second Renaissance" though and the origianl concepts were still working well then. I still think audiences generally do prefer the familiar and that's why we get the sequels/remakes despite everyone complaining about them. They don't do wuite as many on the animation side, but in general.

Okay, I'll defend the new Puss in Boots movie for a minute. That movie is awesome and better than anything Disney put out last year. I have never seen the first one.

I want to like it, but it uses that horrible low-frame-rate animation style in action scenes. I can't stand it!

Some of those go back to the Disney "Second Renaissance" though and the origianl concepts were still working well then. I still think audiences generally do prefer the familiar and that's why we get the sequels/remakes despite everyone complaining about them. They don't do wuite as many on the animation side, but in general.
You said 10 yrs so I looked at 10 yrs lol. And we're still in agreement lol.

You said 10 yrs so I looked at 10 yrs lol. And we're still in agreement lol.

Well, yeah, but I just meant in general, not just animation and not jsut "exactly 10 years" - it was just an estimate. I've done the research and posted it before - including several types of movies - and it is generally true.

Gotcha, sorry. Half of me forgot that it's a sequel since it has absolutely nothing to do with the first Puss in Boots.
Having seen the first one, it's a good thing that the second stands alone lol. I hadn't been as entertained by a DreamWorks film since the original Shrek.

Having seen the first one, it's a good thing that the second stands alone lol. I hadn't been as entertained by a DreamWorks film since the original Shrek.
Yeah, you don't need to have seen the first one at all to enjoy the sequel. They alluded to a Shrek continuation and if it is as good as Puss in Boots 2, then I'm down. I get why Disney is relying on sequels but minus Toy Story 2 (which is awesome) they aren't as good as the originals.

This.

Encanto is to my daughter's generation what Frozen was to my son's. I'm kind of surprised they'd dig deeper into Frozen. Those kids who were originally hooked are moving on to high school years now. Encanto kids are 3, 4, 5, and have many years of Disney obsession (with merchandise desires) left.
Adult Fans of Disney - more discretionary spending. Only can sell so many dolls and balloons.

Frozen, like many Disney products, speaks across multiple generations and part of its charm and longevity (aside Let It Go on heavy replay)

I don't recall Josh doing that but even so, this sounds like Iger wanting to go further.

It was at the D23 Expo. It was the "blue sky"/"not blue sky" stuff in the parks panel where Jennifer Lee showed up, and they discussed a possible expansion behind BTMRR in MK.

I'm looking forward to classic monsters as well, I forgot about that area. There's a cool idea not based on a franchise!

I wonder what it'll be like to go from UO to Epic Universe and back. Hopefully not too bad. It might depend on traffic.

I believe it's going to be buses, and they will have a dedicated lane. I know people who have stayed at Endless Summer, which is very close to where Epic is being built. They said the travel time via bus wasn't bad at all. It's probably about or maybe even faster than some of the WDW bus transportation between hotels and parks.

Don’t think that’s about just increasing attraction capacity, but potential park capacity while still maintaining a level of guest satisfaction.

They can still cap attendance if that's what's needed to keep guests satisfied.

But I can't see how adding attractions can reduce satisfaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter