Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Uo was built on franchise in the first place
Yeah, but it wasn't really competing until Wizarding World.
Disneyland may not have been franchises in the current sense, but it was absolutely designed based on the films being produced by the company.
Agreed, I come back to this often as well. But there was original storytelling in the parks from the start as well.

I hope Frozen III finally gives Kristoff an important part in the plot. They have Jonathan Groff but haven't really used him much.

I figured they'd do a Toy Story 5 to get Woody and Bo back with the gang. I'm going to guess it has something to do with Andy getting married, having kids, and going back to Bonnie to see if he can get Woody back.

It's sad because Lightyear was actually pretty good. Sox is one of my new favorites. And Lightyear wasn't even that original a story!

UO changed everything with the Wizarding World. Everything has to come form a franchise now. It's what people want... Sigh

i thought Lightywar was just okay. It wasn't the knowc out of the park I was hoping for. That said, Strange World I loved, and it just mega-bombed!

i thought Lightywar was just okay. It wasn't the knowc out of the park I was hoping for. That said, Strange World I loved, and it just mega-bombed!
I liked both, but think Strange World was particularly good and salient. Those colors and soundtrack were amazing as well. I think they both didn't do great because of the inclusivity efforts in the stories.

Yeah, but it wasn't really competing until Wizarding World.

Agreed, I come back to this often as well. But there was original storytelling in the parks from the start as well.
That's my issue with adding all this IP into the parks. Half the time it doesn't make sense in where they put it. Frozen in Norway, Guardians in Epcot, Tron in Tomorrowland.

I liked both, but think Strange World was particularly good and salient. Those colors and soundtrack were amazing as well. I think they both didn't do great because of the inclusivity efforts in the stories.

I doubt that's really what hurt it though - I think it was more the absolute lack of advertising...

...well, that and the lack of a known IP! 🤣

Last edited:
I doubt that's really what hurt it though - I think it was more the absolutel lack of advertising...

...well, that and the lack of a known IP! 🤣
I don't know... They were expecting Strange World to not meet return on investment before it even opened and cut advertising as a result. I figured that projection was based on the fact that Lightyear didn't do well and that was the one connecting element. But we may never know... unless they mention it on a bonus feature in the 9K resolution blu-ray edition 20 years from now, by which point both films will absolutely and rightfully be considered cult classics. lol

Yup, in 20 years it'll be a cult classic, but for now it's a dud.
Very true. I was hoping it would pick up some word of mouth on streaming. FWIW I saw it in theaters and loved it, but the only reason I even knew it was coming out was I’m at the movies a lot as an Alamo Drafthouse passholder and they showed trailers for it. Even in our local very important ad market for movies (NYC) we saw very few commercials until just before the release. The marketing was Terrible.

The only one that doesn't (at least IMO) is Guardians but honestly as much as I loved my old favorite nap spot Ellen's Energy Adventure, I'm very happy having Guardians now. I still miss taking a 40 minute nap to the sound of Ellen being attacked by dinosaurs though LOL
I think Guardians fits DHS better- but I’ve never watched it or ridden it-superheroes are my kids’ jam, not mine. So I don’t really know that my opinion counts lol

Iger also said during the call he asked D'Amaro to "carefully look at all the great franchises in the company" and "see where we can invest in them in the parks to increase capacity, while preserving guest satisfaction."

Scott Gustin Twitter

Why would guests be disatissfied with increased attraction capacity?

Didn't Josh just list a bunch of possibilities last fall? Sounds like Iger wants credit for those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter