Disney in Texas

You can't say that unless you have the AP revenue numbers for SoCal and Florida. A DL Deluxe AP is the same cost as a good price airfare alone from Houston to LAX or MCO. Being in Houston, we could go multiple times a year for the same cost as round trip airfare to either of the other 2 parks instead of going once every 2-3 years. Another number you would need is how many lower income families go for 1-3 days because they live w/i an affordable drive to the other 2 parks that couldn't do it otherwise? Then you need to know if guests can get there for hundred$ or thousand$ less how much of that do they spend on Disney luxuries, food, and merchandise instead of with an airline?

There 6 million people w/i 2 hours of that location, go to 3 hours and you pick up another 2 million from the Austin metro area, take that to 4 hours and you pick up over 2-3 million more with San Antonio and the southern Dallas suburbs. 5-6 hours and you can pick up the whole DFW metroplex's 7 million. Not a whole lot of mid America locations with 17 million people w/i a 5-6 hour drive with suitable year around weather.

I too am doubtful it will happen. I was just pointing that locale has a lot more rational reasons than most of the rumored sites. local population size, weather, 2 local airports(Austin's Bergstrom airport would be 2 hours away for 3rd), Latin American travel hub, east-west and north-south interstate intersection w/i 1 hour, plentiful labor,cruise terminals, etc.

I would think if it ever happens it would only be a Disneyland type property plus a water park only and not a WDW. Then there is still a pull to go to WDW.

I like your take and you have great points.

But i know that what TWDC wants to avoid at all costs is setting up "competing" markets where people would have two viable options.

If in texas...that would set up this scenario for say...phoenix? denver?
on the other side New Orleans? Nashville? Maybe Atlanta? or even better...Chicago - where it would now be a push between what's "easier" to get too...

They don't want to duplicate and offer choices...they want to make you committ that you - as an individual - HAVE to go to a specific spot once a year (or preferably more than once) and if you feel the need to go out west/east...then you make that a special trip and fit it AROUND your normal spot.

Crazy? yeah...but that is exactly how they see themselves and their place in your home/wallet.

So putting something "centrally" located would be counter productive to them.

they did toy with this...if you recall...when eisner tried to get a spot in Virginia. He was kinda rouge in that...as he had built up alot of corporate clout after the hot streak he was on and he just wanted something close to the east coast/ northeast (he was a new yorker)...

but even that was a different scenario because of the country's "guts" of population and heavily so money is still concentrated on the east coast.

As far "all the people" they could bring in to Texas...which is a merit...heck, they should put it in Brooklyn...which has 30 million within two hours of it and about 70 million within 5...including New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington and Baltimore...that's practically like the Freedom Trail:3dglasses

But again...i can see some sort of texas development someday...but much smaller than even disneyland...maybe a specialty type minipark and a schlitterbahn.

I likewise would question any of the information on a blog that obviously has an axe to grind with people...

But Disney would be threatening to cancel any project if someone besides the Walt Disney Company made any sort of property sale announcement, and they'd be pressuring that website to come down.

If the deal wasn't done, it could be sunk by such a thing. I've seen movie deals vaporize because one side said they were making a movie based on such-and-such before the deal was signed.

As for DisneyQuest, wasn't Chicago a miserable failure and basically scrapped the whole concept? Doubtful Disney wants to get into that space. They killed ESPN Zones more recently which were a similar concept, except for a couple franchised units where the owners licensed the names.

Resort? Well, the DC Resort was a non-starter. I think the dream of the small resort-parks is dead.

I think the biggest argument against another park in the U.S. is that it would cannibalize guests from the existing parks more than the existing two do from each other. They'd have to do it in an area less served by the existing parks, which might mean up north - but then contend with weather issues. If anyone could pull off a 24x7 park up north I expect it would be Disney, but there are still travel issues, etc.

And if they ever did it again, they'd probably want the same autonomy they have in Florida - and that could be a tough sell to any jurisdiction these days.

I used to live in that exact area they are referring too and Disney has been rumored to be building there for 20 years that I know of personally and supposedly the early 80s was the first time the rumor started. I don't think it's true Although it would be awesome if it was!

Weather-wise it is a good location. It's also just north of one of the fastest growing areas in the country. Close to a major airport and some other top destinations.

HOWEVER, there is family with the last name Disney (no relation) who own massive amounts of land in the area. I'm pretty sure that te family is doing something with there land and someone jumped to conclusions. It's a blog, not a reputable news source.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I live in the San Antonio, Texas area & when Sea World was first built here there was a rumor that Disney would soon follow. There was the geographical relationship of Disneyland and Sea World in San Diego and then of course Disney World & Sea World Orlando so you can see why the rumors. Sea World has been here for 25 years so that's all it's been, just rumors. I would be really surprised if Disney did anything besides have Disney Stores in Texas.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

My two cents: I've heard the rumor about Texas being the next location for years and while it's six of one for me, I doubt it will happen. The closest Disney ever came to building another park was the America one in VA. The sad thingn is that the reason that people used to deny it, huge traffic, building on pristine eras, etc, came to happen anyhow, without the jobs that Disney would have brought.
About five or six years ago WDW announced a market place type expansion over towards Animal Kingdom on land there, sort of like DTD or PI, and that's as far as it went.
Not only was Chicago the location for the only other Disney Quest, the Chicagoland era was also the only location for the short lived Mickey's Kitchen (or Cafe- not sure which it was for sure now). This was a counter service restaurant next to the Disney Store in Woodfield Mall.
And also, Disney did a few of the indoor playground type places for kids, primarily out west if I remember, before dropping this plan.
I just really doubt that Disney will venture into a huge park-type plan in the US anymore, particularly since the current parks are doing well enough.

My two cents: I've heard the rumor about Texas being the next location for years and while it's six of one for me, I doubt it will happen. The closest Disney ever came to building another park was the America one in VA. The sad thingn is that the reason that people used to deny it, huge traffic, building on pristine eras, etc, came to happen anyhow, without the jobs that Disney would have brought.
About five or six years ago WDW announced a market place type expansion over towards Animal Kingdom on land there, sort of like DTD or PI, and that's as far as it went.
Not only was Chicago the location for the only other Disney Quest, the Chicagoland era was also the only location for the short lived Mickey's Kitchen (or Cafe- not sure which it was for sure now). This was a counter service restaurant next to the Disney Store in Woodfield Mall.
And also, Disney did a few of the indoor playground type places for kids, primarily out west if I remember, before dropping this plans.
I just really doubt that Disney will venture into a huge park-type plan in the US anymore, particularly since the current parks are doing well enough.

Touchdown...ballgame

I like your take and you have great points.

But i know that what TWDC wants to avoid at all costs is setting up "competing" markets where people would have two viable options.

If in texas...that would set up this scenario for say...phoenix? denver?
on the other side New Orleans? Nashville? Maybe Atlanta? or even better...Chicago - where it would now be a push between what's "easier" to get too...

They don't want to duplicate and offer choices...they want to make you committ that you - as an individual - HAVE to go to a specific spot once a year (or preferably more than once) and if you feel the need to go out west/east...then you make that a special trip and fit it AROUND your normal spot.

Crazy? yeah...but that is exactly how they see themselves and their place in your home/wallet.

So putting something "centrally" located would be counter productive to them.

they did toy with this...if you recall...when eisner tried to get a spot in Virginia. He was kinda rouge in that...as he had built up alot of corporate clout after the hot streak he was on and he just wanted something close to the east coast/ northeast (he was a new yorker)...

but even that was a different scenario because of the country's "guts" of population and heavily so money is still concentrated on the east coast.

As far "all the people" they could bring in to Texas...which is a merit...heck, they should put it in Brooklyn...which has 30 million within two hours of it and about 70 million within 5...including New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington and Baltimore...that's practically like the Freedom Trail:3dglasses

But again...i can see some sort of texas development someday...but much smaller than even disneyland...maybe a specialty type minipark and a schlitterbahn.

Mid America already has to choose between the two viable markets of DL or WDW.

DL had to expand to handle the crowds and WDW just expanded MK. Last I checked the country's population is still growing. It is up ~50% since MK, at WDW, opened in '71. US population in '71 was 207 million vs today's 315 million and it was 165 mil in '55 when DL opened.. That doesn't even begin to address how much more affordable overseas travel has become over that 42 year time period since MK opened.

I'm not saying replicate WDW in the Houston area, as that would competing against yourself too much, but saying a DL type attraction with a water park in the Houston area is a far more rational locale than people think.

Phoenix? 6 hours from Anaheim, that is north DFW to Houston distance.

Denver? Doesn't have the year round weather and is just a bit larger than San Antonio. Plus Denver would be equidistant to both Anaheim and Houston.

New Orleans? It is the 45th metro area at 1.2 million(below both either of Austin or San Antonio) and would be 9 hours to Orlando and 6 hours to Houston.

Nashville? Falls below either San Antonio or Austin for population. It also lacks the year round weather.

Atlanta? Gets interesting at over 5 million but it is 7 hours to Orlando and has winter weather issues.

Chicago? Are you going to build the whole thing indoors? Pretty sure escaping the winter cold and getting some sun is a large part of the winter draw to Disney for those in northern climates. Which applies to your NE population center argument too.

San Francisco is the only other area in the US with a the year round weather, population within 6 hours drive, and a port like Houston has that I can think of. Unfortunately, Anaheim is a 6-7 hour drive from SF.

Please explain how Virgina is centrally located between the two present US Disney parks. I don't get it. Nor do I get how year round weather in Virginia is possible.

TexasTriangle_Map-web.jpg

it would need to be big enough to complete with 6 Flags over Texas (might make them step their park)

That wouldn't be a problem so long as Disney gave a sincere effort.

1) SFOT, the first Six Flags park, is cramped. It seems they can't build anything new without tearing down something. If SFOT really wanted to expand, they'd either have to outright buy the surrounding land or challenge the Texas law that prohibits use of eminent domain for commercial efforts. I really can't see them doing either option. But even if they did obtain surrounding land, they'd have to do some major redevelopment, as just about the only direction to build has a lake and the park entrance in the way. In short, SFOT's options are limited and probably too costly.

Disney, on the other hand, could just pick up undeveloped land that is much larger than SFOT in or near DFW -- or just pick some other place in the state to set up camp. Any park Disney would build would be easier and more scenic to roam.

2) SFOT is increasingly slanted toward thrill rides. That's a problem for families with smaller children and patrons who don't or can't enjoy thrill rides. Not to mention, a waste of money. Thrill ride parks target only one demographic.

And that's fine. But Disney goes for a mix of styles: some thrill rides, some relaxing ones, some shows, some parades, etc. In other words, Disney offers more variety. As such, it has more for the entire family.

3) SFOT operates seasonally.

Disney operates year-round.

4) The last time I went to SFOT, there was almost no trace left of the fact that it was conceived as a theme park. Hint: Six Flags's name has nothing to do with an excitement rating.

Disney does a pretty good job at keeping a theme.

5) The article puts the rumored park much further south. A park near Houston won't compete with one in Arlington.

I still don't think Disney would build here. But if they did and gave it a true effort, they'd have no problem competing with Six Flags. .

Disney is not in the business of competing with Six Flags parks. While both companies operate "theme parks," the companies have very different business models and largely a different set of target customers.

A third major Disney presence in the U.S. would cost many billions these days. The challenge would be for the Disney Parks & Resorts business segment to generate enough net new revenue and profit to justify the huge capital investment and operating expenses. The financial math would have to include the cannibalization of attendance at WDW and DLR.

A smaller, limited scope Disney theme park would still need to meet Guest expectations of what it means to be a Disney park. The resulting high overhead compared to a Six Flags park would also make the financial math questionable. Think of California Adventure in its original form.

Six Flags has had financial problems when primarily catering to local thrill seekers, who are often young adult customers with limited financial resources. So that's not a business model for Disney to imitate either.

I've heard this rumor off and on through the years too. Disney has already scrapped plans for a ski resort, a resort in Missouri, and Disney's America near DC, which leads me to believe they won't do another park aimed at US tourists.

A park in Texas still wouldn't be close enough to potential clientele in South America,which is an untapped source of revenue. It may appeal to more Latin American guests.

well i no is its a PGA tour about to be built in texas says dfw Mayor Mike Rawlings in 2019 its odd and if you look at it Disney was The only Few that had PGA tours in the south and since of late this rumor has gotten bigger than it has with disney land if they build it best places would be DFW are San Antonio its so much Land out here in texas They could put Disney here and Just last year they Finally Put disney cruise line in Galveston texas which has gotten me to wonder so much about this you even see Disney trucks In texas which is odd they might and probably will Build it here in a few years cause we have 30 Of Disney stores its time to Shake things up Again :stir: you see texas leaders are tired of the texas going out of town thats why you notice by the Dallas Jail you notice its showing a future like Las vegas strip and on News station they said this and their is no way they want that money to leave anymore so that why I no they will Build Disney cause SFOT is over crowded and Texas want New Money. :wizard:

Disney is not in the business of competing with Six Flags parks. While both companies operate "theme parks," the companies have very different business models and largely a different set of target customers.

A third major Disney presence in the U.S. would cost many billions these days. The challenge would be for the Disney Parks & Resorts business segment to generate enough net new revenue and profit to justify the huge capital investment and operating expenses. The financial math would have to include the cannibalization of attendance at WDW and DLR.

A smaller, limited scope Disney theme park would still need to meet Guest expectations of what it means to be a Disney park. The resulting high overhead compared to a Six Flags park would also make the financial math questionable. Think of California Adventure in its original form.

Six Flags has had financial problems when primarily catering to local thrill seekers, who are often young adult customers with limited financial resources. So that's not a business model for Disney to imitate either.

This

Why would the name "Disney" not appear in the title? Longhorn Land doesn't sound like Disney to me.

well i no is its a PGA tour about to be built in texas says dfw Mayor Mike Rawlings in 2019 its odd and if you look at it Disney was The only Few that had PGA tours in the south and since of late this rumor has gotten bigger than it has with disney land if they build it best places would be DFW are San Antonio its so much Land out here in texas They could put Disney here and Just last year they Finally Put disney cruise line in Galveston texas which has gotten me to wonder so much about this you even see Disney trucks In texas which is odd they might and probably will Build it here in a few years cause we have 30 Of Disney stores its time to Shake things up Again :stir: you see texas leaders are tired of the texas going out of town thats why you notice by the Dallas Jail you notice its showing a future like Las vegas strip and on News station they said this and their is no way they want that money to leave anymore so that why I no they will Build Disney cause SFOT is over crowded and Texas want New Money. :wizard:

WOW! Is it just me...or was that the hardest thing to read ever posted on the Dis? :confused3

I wish Disney would spring for a grand park in some shape, form or fashion here in Texas, but would be totally shocked if it came to fruition. They'd hafta spend a huge amount of dough, and although they've proven they can dig deep, they have already committed tons to recent and ongoing projects. Plus, many of us suspect Carsland will somehow make it way to Fla.

Then again...huge earnings continue to roll in....popcorn::

WOW! Is it just me...or was that the hardest thing to read ever posted on the Dis? :confused3

I wish Disney would spring for a grand park in some shape, form or fashion here in Texas, but would be totally shocked if it came to fruition. They'd hafta spend a huge amount of dough, and although they've proven they can dig deep, they have already committed tons to recent and ongoing projects. Plus, many of us suspect Carsland will somehow make it way to Fla.

Then again...huge earnings continue to roll in....popcorn::

Lol that gave me a head ache trying to read it

We live the next state over from Texas, so it would be close for us, no doubt, but to me, some of the Magic would be lost if another Disney theme park were added in the South. At the same time, I am sure Disney knows that and that if something else 'Disney' were to pop up, it would be new and different. I am so looking forward to Avatar Land at AK!

I'd love it if Disney did a Disney-themed hotel in Texas, kind of like the Great Wolf Lodge concept or Aulani. Indoor water park, Disney character breakfast, kids' club, etc. I think it would do well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter