Disgruntled Repeat Cruiser

LadyLvsTramp

Registered
We just returned from our 3rd Disney Cruise and are very dissapointed with the experience. Anyone have a suggestion on where to constructively complain. We sent an email 3 times aboutbefore we got a response which did not address any of the issues we mentioned. I had a disagreement with our room charges they added on after we were presented the bill and it took 3 weeks to iron that out. We had table 60 in the dining rooms and constantly were next to the stations as well as having trays carried over our heads from different directions constantly. My husband is wanting to cancel our 4th cruise for 7/04 and I am trying to get somewhere with Disney so he will at least feel validated and want to continue to cruise with Disney.

well you could certainly try writing them a letter and sending it snail mail

I have been seated next to the stations many times in the various dining rooms and yes it can be disruptive, however... they do have to have the stations, and someone has to sit there, just like any restaurant there are some tables more and less desirable, but I would not stop going to an establishment I love because I may be seated near a station....
Would it be more fair to mix it up and have you only seated there for one meal? Yes and DCL might want to look into a more equitable way of doing that. However being near the station itself IMHO does not warrent being disgruntled. As I said SOMEONE has to sit there.

The room charge mixup, that is unfortunate. And it certainly is a shame and inconvience to have it take three weeks to clear up. Would that make me cancel a cruise? Nope, accounting errors happen all the time in many venues, I would just keep good tabs on my running bill.

If it were me I would write a calm letter spelling out your specific complaints/concerns and request a specific responce.

LadylvTtramp........We were one of the "cancelled" Nov. 30, 2002 cruisers. We did a replacement sailing on the Wonder Dec. 1, 2002. Things didn't go as pleasureable ask our usual DCL and WDW experiences. Though the cruise was exceptional as usual we had some other issues. (They are in the past and I put them behind me). I did e-mail DCL and I got got the "we have recieved your e-mail and we do read and respond to all....please be patient because it may take some time".(Something of that nature). When I voiced my displeasure to some of the cast members I was given a "buisness card" with an address on it to write a letter to. I don't have it handy now (I'm at work) but it was in downtown disney. I did write a 6 page letter expressing my disappointments day by day. My letter was dated Dec. 23rd. I did get a responce sometime in Feb. They took the time to check in all issues and did write back a 2 page letter which did not look like a "form letter". I was disappointed in the timelyness but satisfied with the reply and the results. They will reply. Be patient.

Sorry to hear that! Was it just the charges and dinner seating that bothered you?

LadyLvsTramp.........one more word of advice. I have talked to MANY cancelled cruisers from our Nov. 30 non sailing. One thing that was a constant. If you write and call and demand monetary reimbursement and threaten to "never cruise again" you will recieve a colder, shorter reply and a simple "we are sorry". People that I have talked to that "demanded" DCL to pay them this or give them that recieved little or nothing from DCL. Those who truely were dissappointed with their trip and expressed those dissappointments in a polite but stern manner, and asked for nothing monetarily in return, reaped the greatest rewards.......So you must ask yourself....if you were in their shoes...."are you writing to give some creative criticism so the other cruisers won't have the same issues as you had....or are you just complaining to "get something"". DCL is a buisness, buisnesses are formed to make money. Some people in my buisness are never happy no matter what we do for them....that is when I make a decision to "fire the customer".

We were at the stations and I was not disappointed. We had great serve! Like AnnMorin stated someone has to be seated next to the station.

I think the workers on the ship do a great job. I believe it would be hard to always be in a good mood and smiling. I never seen a person who wasn't.

I hope your husband will not cancel your next cruise.

This can even happen at home when you go out to eat. You get seated at a table you don't care for. Someone carries a tray loaded with food or drinks over your head. You think to yourself please don't drop that on me.
This just seeems to be part of going out. Does not matter if it is in a ship or in abuilding on ground.

The problem with charges; sorry for the mishap.
I can see were it may take some time to get it worked out . Each week they sail 3 sailing (Wonder out on Sunday and Thursday and the Magic on Saturday) with thousands onboard. Even DCL is human.

Good Luck and I would follow up with snail mail just remember it may take them some time to respond.

And he asked me on your previous three cruises when you were not the one seated near the serving station, were you disgruntled that those poor OTHER people had to put up with being sat there? Did you complain/email etc.. on behalf of the ones subjected to the trays being lifted near them??Honestly I don't want to sound horrible but what in the world do you expect from DCL? A service station needs to be in the dining room and what should the criteria be for whom is seated near it? Only if you are in a certain catagory?

Actually........we were put by the "service station" on our last cruise and the servers were nice enough to bring a bucket of ice with a few extra miller lights and hung it on the service station so my "cold ones" could be served on demand. I noticed the trays and things moving around us but nothing that disrupted our meals.

I don't think anyone should be seated at a service station, bathroom, kitchen, exit, etc. This happens to me just about everytime I go out to eat. It got to the point that I expect it. Nothing is more annoying then people constantly walking past you, doors slamming, etc. while you are trying to eat and have a nice time and pleasant conversation. I don't understand why they put tables at these locations. I ask to be seated somewhere else and if a table is not available right away I am willing to wait for it.

On our first Disney cruise we were seated right next to the station and it actually ended up sooooo entertaining. Our waiter, Clive, was constantly singing and dancing and entertaining us every time he was near. I wouldn't have wanted to be seated anywhere else because we enjoyed him so much. I am sorry you had a bad experience but I'm also curious what it is you want from Disney in return for your complaint???

Originally posted by noseybuddy
I don't think anyone should be seated at a service station, bathroom, kitchen, exit, etc. This happens to me just about everytime I go out to eat. It got to the point that I expect it. Nothing is more annoying then people constantly walking past you, doors slamming, etc. while you are trying to eat and have a nice time and pleasant conversation. I don't understand why they put tables at these locations. I ask to be seated somewhere else and if a table is not available right away I am willing to wait for it.

Ahh you may say that no one should be seated near a service station but then are you prepared to wait 20 mins for a new fork if yours is dropped on the floor? How in the world should they be able to feed 1000 people without service stations? Frankly I can not fathom what in the world Disney should do for you that you had someone carrying trays near you in a restaurant?!! Did you complain to the head waiter that it was so intollerable?

I am so sorry to hear things didn't go right for you.

I am shocked that they would add on charges after presenting you with your bill. Our final bill came early in the morning on debarkation day, and there wasn't much chance to charge after that. I would hope they compensated you in some way for the discrepancy.

As far as table 60 goes, we had tables 60 and 61 on our cruise and never had a problem with that, in fact at all three restaurants the food came out of the kitchen from the direction opposite the service station. Trays never actually passed by or over us.

Just a reminder

People, please respect other's right to not like something. Feel free to disagree, but don't infer that something is wrong with them if they do not like what you like.

Just wondering?!?!?!?!? Was it an early or late seating??? It seems the early is the preferred seating. Just wondering?!?!?!!?

We've been seated beside the station before...the only thing I was afraid of was having a tray dropped on me, but that would have just meant more food for me I guess. :)

We just made the most of the situation...we got to spend more time with our servers because they HAD to come back to the station...lucky for my son, I think he had a crush on the assistant...he blushed everytime she talked to him. It was soooo cute!

We were sat way back in the corner by the doors to the kitchen on our last cruise. After five minutes of hearing the door swing open and closed I was frustrated and angry. We saved for a long time for the cruise and couldn't believe we were going to have a noisy and disruptive dinner every night.

My husband requested another table. Within five minutes we were at a new table. I'm glad we said something. I think I would have boiled over in anger if I had to sit at that first table throughout the cruise.

I realize that it's difficult to make all tables perfect on a ship this size, but I think Disney could better isolate the kitchen doors and serving stations. At least the castmembers do their best to please the guests. They really saved us.

I have not cruised YET... (really crossing my fingers with hurricane Isabel!!!!) But, I have to say that I agree with the OP... I am sure that it is not just one bad table location that made their cruise experience 'not up to par'.

I also wanted to say that I just simply HATE bad table locations! If I want to sit by the kitchen, or the service station, or the trash cans, I can always go to McDonalds! :rolleyes: Also, is it not true that a table number with a bad location in one of the dining rooms usually equals a bad location in ALL the restaurants????

Just from looking at all the Photos that I have seen of the dining rooms, I have to say that DCL COULD have done a better job!!!! ( Okay, I know coulda-shoulda-woulda!! :) ) The service stations should be for all the small 'extras' like the dropped fork that was mentioned.... (why would the server have to return to the kitchen for a fork??????) and for drink refills, extra napkins, etc...

I M H O there is simply NO excuse for large trays to be carried directly over anyones head :confused:

Okay, I'll climb off my soapbox now!!!!!

OHHHH, we are supposed to stay ON topic here, so for the OP, I would suggest sending copies of a very nice but direct and detailed letter to several offices and/or people at DCL. Perhaps that would catch somebodies attention? Call DCL directly to get info on names and addresses....

Hope this helps!!!! :D

On our first cruise, we were seated in front of a serving station. After dinner the first evening, we spoke to the Head Waiter about it. We said very nicely that this location did not meet our expectations & would like to be moved. He said he would see what he could do...

The next afternoon, we had a message on the phone from him stating our table was moved & perhaps we would like to review the seating locations in the 3 dining rooms prior to dining that evening to be sure we were happy with the switch. The cruise wasn't at capacity, so I'm sure they had a bit more flexibility than at other times. He was very accomodating. We were very pleased.

On our second cruise, a problem cropped up with our reservation that I attempted to fix months prior to leaving. I happened to get a very unaccomodating DCL Supervisor, who became nasty with me on the phone. Instead of arguing with her, I wrote a nice, but unemotional letter to Matt Oiumett & asked him to look into the mistake and repair it for me, as his first line Mgrs. were unwilling to do so. I sent it thru the mail- not email, certified- return signature requested, so I knew it was received. I got a call from an Assistant about 2 weeks before the cruise, who informed me the mistake was found, addressed and corrected- new cruise docs were being Fed Ex'd. I was pleasantly surprised, as I really thought I was being ignored & would have to address it at the Port Check in...She extended apologies on behalf of the cruise line for the mistake & the time it took to correct it.

We were very pleased with the outcome, but it did take a little while. I usually judge a firm's customer service not on the mistakes, or problems encountered, but how the firm addresses and corrects them. Problems happen, it's how they are corrected that matters...

Be patient, as the cruiseline has many passengers. I think the cruiseline goes out of it's way to address passenger's concerns. If you do it in a businesslike fashion, I suspect you will get a better response. No business is perfect & it's got to be harder still if you're in the business of making "Magic"!

Good luck & don't give up on DCL!

Guest communications IS the address that I sent my letter to and recieved the responce.......I do believe Matt is the one that wrote me back!!! Good luck!!!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter