Disboutiquers Part 17 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drumroll please. . . .

th_IMG_0932.jpg

Congrats I think you did awesome.. soon you'll be whipping them up in no time at all!

We are going in December and I am making skirts or dressing that can have leggings added under if it's cold. I'll likely even embellish the leggings a bit, even if it's only a ruffle. I also bought three pairs of jeans at Target for $2.48 each. They are all size 5 and fit dd fine except length might be a hair short so I'll add ruffles. I'll embellish those somehow as well to coordinate with her dresses. I plan on simply sweets or vidas with leggings or jeans and knit long sleeve shirts under if it's cold. DS will be a bit trickier. I do have three pairs of unzip pants that I was able to find and he'll get some bowling shirts or appliqued t's. For signature dinners if you would do a nice dress you could still put appliqued jeans under them, though leggings might be a bit nicer. And sis you see the post on thread 16 where socks can be made into legwarmers? Really neat idea!

Wow, 2.48! I need to check our Target tomorrow while I'm in town to see if I can score a deal like that! DD8 is tall & skinny, so it is really easy to find jeans that fit her in the waist but need a little something to make up the length. Actually, that's what got me started sewing for her - she was outgrowing jeans in the length months before she was big enough to go up to the next size in the waist, so I started adding ruffles and decorations to make the jeans that fit right last a little longer. :rotfl:

My DS is 11 and "too cool" for Disney clothing, so he's easy - polo or button down shirts in colors that coordinate with the girls, and khakis, jeans, or shorts. I think the only themed outfit he's going to let me do for him is something for the day they go to the Pirate's League.

I didn't get to the page with the leg warmers yet I guess. I've been reading off and on but not keeping up, so I probably missed it. When I get bored I go through the old threads from beginning to end for ideas, so I'm sure I'll come to it soon enough! That's a cool idea too. DD8 is in dance and has quite a thing for leg warmers. It is so funny to see her wanting the same styles I'm vaguely ashamed to have worn back in the 80s! :rotfl:

This is OT but when I say I was raised WDW I really mean it I was born in St. Cloud Fl, My Uncle Ned worked at WDW and soon my Dad got a job there, Flash foward several years, My Dad helped build the Living Seas, PO along with the FQ! My Aunt Cindy also works there right behind the MK! My Uncle is the Sanatation Supervisor for Epcot, Then MGM, Now MK and he came up with the Filtration system that keeps the small ponds clear. It was also during this time he was asked to oversee the progress on Disneyland Paris, He was there for a year. Uncle Ned has been with WDW for 32yrs. Aunt Cindy has been there for 27.

Disney80s.jpg

disney003.jpg

I found the tutorial Heather posted, let us know if you have any trouble with it!

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=21575852&postcount=18261

If you have a picture in Photobucket, if you resize it to the littlest size (it may even say avatar size) that will be perfect.

You do realize that this post was two years ago and Heather was talking to me about setting up my avatar? And I still haven't figured it out! :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: I swear I resized the picture in photobucket to the tiny size and when I put it in the spot it always comes back too large...........and I know it says it's 100x75 which should fit in. I swear it's just me......I cannot figure out why I can't do this!

I was lucky enough to have a moving buddy (thanks Kristine!), but I got distracted. I have officially retired my sewing machine for this trip. I finished my very last thing tonight! Now all I have left is to get a few last minute things and pack. I still have 9 days.

I am going to take pics of everything without models (for the board from now on). I googled my username but didn't find anything. I did find several pics when I googled my photobucket user name.

I was thinking about that. DD8 loves that look - a frilly, funky skirt over lace-edged leggings, and I could probably get away with buying the leggings to match whatever I make since they seem to be back in style.

I'm not going quite so far as bringing mittens - after all, we're from Michigan and 50 is downright balmy to us in January! But I do expect some cooler weather. I have the most adorable pics from the last time we were there in Jan '08 of my kids in the pool with the lifeguards in the background in winter hats & gloves. :rotfl2: Apparently Floridians have a somewhat narrower definition of "swimming weather" than we do!
I've been to Disney 3 times when temps have hit the 30s. It is one thing to tour the parks in the day with temps in the 50's but 30 is COLD when waiting for Illuminations!!! At least for this Northeastener!

Is a pillowcase dress a good place to start??? I have sewn nothing other than rag quilts so have no idea when it comes to patterns and matching material and thread etc......:confused3 but i guess i have to start somewhere so was just wondering what would be the easiest to start with??? then i guess my next step would be off to the city to find material and a pattern and whatever else i may need........

Any advice for a starting project??????????
I started with Carla's Easy Fit Pants from YCMT and made PJ pants for my kids. I did used to sew 15+ years ago but my kids had never seen me sew. When my oldest (then 9) saw her PJ's she asked me how I made them look so "real".:laughing:

I think I am still about 15 pages behind.. and still lurking :)
But I made something!

Its the Patchwork Messenger bag from YCMT.
MessengerBag1.jpg
MessengerBag2.jpg

MessengerBag3.jpg

Its for me and I am hoping its not as bright as it seems ;)
The tropical print is from my DS6's first birthday. I made him a blanket out of it and have a bunch of it leftover. I have been wanting to make myself something with it. This used up the funny scraps I had and now I have about a yard for something else. Actually I used all scraps of fabric for this.. that was nice, I had to buy the D rings and O rings but that was it!
The pattern was good. It seemed complicated at first but as I went through, it really wasn't hard at all. I am sure I will use it again.
So, I will break it in this weekend on a quick trip to Albuquerque.

Back to lurking til school starts, we still have another week.
That is really cool!!!

Have been feeling really busy and just not getting much done anywhere lately... But I did finish these 3 sets :)
IMG_9306.jpg

IMG_9300.jpg

IMG_9286.jpg

:)
Lori
Those are all great!

Drumroll please. . . .

Here is my first dress ever from a pattern (Carla's Simply sweet)! It took me forever but I did it! I made Jordan's back to school dress! Her first day of first grade was today! She loved the dress and had a great day! My baby is still five and in first grade already (she turns 6 in a few weeks) - she is growing up too fast! It feels like she should still be in preschool.

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement and inspiration to try to sew! Not too long ago I didn't even know how to thread the machine! I've now made two regular sized and one ag sized pillowcase dress and my first pattern dress. My next project may be a birthday dress if I have time!

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg
That came out great! Now you can make anything!!!

Drumroll please. . . .

Here is my first dress ever from a pattern (Carla's Simply sweet)! It took me forever but I did it! I made Jordan's back to school dress! Her first day of first grade was today! She loved the dress and had a great day! My baby is still five and in first grade already (she turns 6 in a few weeks) - she is growing up too fast! It feels like she should still be in preschool.

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement and inspiration to try to sew! Not too long ago I didn't even know how to thread the machine! I've now made two regular sized and one ag sized pillowcase dress and my first pattern dress. My next project may be a birthday dress if I have time!

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg
So Cute

Have been feeling really busy and just not getting much done anywhere lately... But I did finish these 3 sets :)
IMG_9306.jpg

IMG_9300.jpg

IMG_9286.jpg

Lori
I like!!

We were on page 240 when I went to my meeting this afternoon. You guys are too quick for me to keep up.

Anyway, here is Claire's 1st day of school and my first CarlaC pleated skirt.

DSC_4665.jpg

LOve it

Thanks everyone for your encourging words, but i must say i am terrified to try this and the icanmakethis.com is scaring me as i then have to print a pattern :scared1:

I really just wanted to make a couple of simple things for my 8 year old...maybe a pillowcase dress and capris or something that involves no buttons or zippers:rotfl2: as i think that would end my sewing with that first project.........

Another great pattern maker of children's apparel is The Children's Corner
http://www.childrenscornerinc.com/menu.html

If you already have a lot of experience making clothes you may or may not find her patterns wonderful. I love her patterns, but i also like other patterns too.
I love children's corner patterns too. I think I have about 20 of them. :eek:
Did you get your kit in yet????

Do you live near a Hobby Lobby? They have all their fabric matched for you! I love it. A pillowcase is a good place to start. My advise is buy some cheap fabric and just go for it. I am sure you will surprise yourself!
Woah.. are they supposed tod o that? Mine definitely does not do this. That is so nice. I hate matching fabrics.

As usual I am in awe of everything that has been posted. Quick newbie sewing question, though!

Ok, so I'm making a blanket with some old t-shirts. I have all of the blocks in the rows sewn together and I want to get sewing them to eachother. My question is...what do I do with the seams? Do I press them flat and sew them open? Do I press them to one side and sew over them? The tshirts are hard to press flat so this is giving me problems. Thanks for you help. You all are such a supportive bunch.:hug:
You could do it several different ways. Most of the ones I have seen are t shirts sewn to a woven cotton. Are you sewing the t shirt to the t shirt?
You might want to head on over to www.sewforum.com. I know they talk alot about that kind of stuff. I'm Toadstool over there too.

th_IMG_9306.jpg

th_IMG_9300.jpg

th_IMG_9286.jpg

Lori
So cute! I love the Insas! I want to get that pattern, but feel silly paying that much for a pattern for a skirt. It just looks so simple. Is it???

O/T shoppers beware
did you guys see these i saw them on another thread and they are too cute
mickey and minnie birks
http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens5301882_1244964119DisneyBirks.jpg
OMGOSH! I LIVE IN BIRKS!
I got all excited to order some Disney birkis then realized they are all in narrow widths! WHY OH WHY???
I found this website.
http://www.tobiasmayer.com/birk_style.php?S_ID=3013&Image=058283s.gif&IC=
If anyone finds them in regular or wide width let me know. My feet are super wide. I usually need a WW, but can squeeze into regulars in the right type of sandals. These are the only shoes that don't hurt my high arched feet.
Cute! You did a great job. She sure looks pleased!
Wow how neat! I hope you get some kind of family discount. ;)

I am in Alberta, about an 1.5 hours from Calgary or 1.5 hours from Red Deer......

I'm about 8 hours north of you... I just placed an order with www.kidsfabrics.com - they're in Canada, and carry licenced fabrics. The fabrics are cheaper per yard on the american auction site, but when you figure in shipping and exchange, plus duty, this was better for me.

Erica

I just wanted to thank Lydia and Stephanie for helping me finish all 50 wristlets for my mom for her trip to Brazil. Thanks also to those who wanted to help but couldn't due to time factors etc - it was sooooo sweet of you to offer!!!

Each wristlet is going to have some shampoo's/lotions in it and a little card that says "Create in me a clean heart O,God; and renew a right spirit within me" Psalm 51:10 - and it will be in Portugese!! My mom and sister in law heather are going to teach a ladies class during a missions conference where my stepfather is the main speaker for the missionaries over there. They leave on Tuesday!!! Mom and Heather are praying that they will help rejuvinate and refresh the ladies who work so hard day after day reaching out to people and helping them. They are going to give each lady a wristlet - plus I made mom and heather one too!!!

100_5819.jpg

100_5820.jpg

100_5821.jpg

I'm about 8 hours north of you... I just placed an order with www.kidsfabrics.com - they're in Canada, and carry licenced fabrics. The fabrics are cheaper per yard on the american auction site, but when you figure in shipping and exchange, plus duty, this was better for me.

Erica

Wow you must be wayyyyyyy up North :rotfl2: thanks i will check them out, but i guess i better figure out how much fabric i even need before i order a whole stash of it :cool1:

I still havn't been able to figure out the multi-quotes, so I just wanted to say that everything I have seen has been beautiful!! I really love the back-to-school stuff. My kids all wore "store-bought" stuff. I was trying to persuade my kindergartener to let me make her a custom for the first day but she did not want that:sad2:
Oh well, she doesn't want to wear matching outfits with Miryam at DL, but I'm making her:rotfl:

Seriously? You all totally ran off and left me? No FB warning or anything Teresa? :sad1: That'll teach me to spend the day taking care of the kids! :rotfl:

So cute! I love the Insas! I want to get that pattern, but feel silly paying that much for a pattern for a skirt. It just looks so simple. Is it???

well I think it is simple now... but the instructions were not in english and I had to find the translation and overall I think it was easier than other foreign patterns I have gotten!

Lori

Just a quick post on the new thread before I go to bed. We went to the zoo on Friday and I made Chloe an Emma top. She picked the fabrics. It's a cute style but was a bit frustrating to make.

059.jpg

I made a matching head scarf and Tessa wanted one too.

019.jpg

We spent a lot of time by the giraffes. We got to see them close up and they were fun to watch. DS got pooped on by one of the birds in there. Last time it was Chloe. We told Tessa that she was next. :rotfl:

024.jpg

Everything looks so great! I wish I had time to make a first day of school dress but that's not going to happen. My parents are taking the kids on a day trip on Saturday so maybe I can get some sewing in then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter