Disappointed with the direction DCL is heading.

I do think dcl is coming to a tipping point. And it is hard to put my finger on it. But I do not think our family is unique, and we have re evaluated for next year. We do not drink except for maybe one glass of wine at palo, so it's not specifically the alcohol policy, and we have never ordered the cheese plate, so that was not the last straw. But we were very very sad to hear that they stopped "mickey mail." I know it was unofficial, but it was kind of magical having things appear in your room, obviously that's not enough to get us to turn away from dcl, but... the removal of Mickey mail unfortunately seems to be emblematic of dcl's new philosophy: less creativity, more stock holder value. This works for the short term, but never for the long term. The large price increases, in addition to the block out dates for onboard rebooking discounts, compounded by the attitude of the employees we saw on our last cruise that they are not very happy, has made us cancel two cruises we had booked for next year. And I know people have said that the only reason people complain about dcl is because they cannot really afford it but that is not our situation. We are replacing the two cruises with two other similarly priced vacations, one slightly more, one slightly less. We cancelled the one for summer 2015 after the mickey mail and alcohol policy announcement last fall. It was not out of anger or specifically because of those things, but those things got us thinking about whether it was worth it. When we had originally booked, we had felt the price was high. Hearing that they were cutting back on things was strange to us. And a month ago when we were on board and tried to rebook a cruise with the discount for December 2016 that we already had booked, we were shocked to hear about blackout dates. It's not like it's that much money with the on board booking discount, just the idea that they are taking stuff away. So we have decided to cancel that one too. And it's not like we won't ever be back, but there is an extent to which dcl has lost us.

I agree, Hundredacre, it is hard to put a finger on what changed my attitude toward DCL, also. I think it is the accumulation of all the changes and the feeling that we aren't welcome anymore, that they just want our wallet. It has nothing to do with whether I can afford it (I'm replacing my Disney cruise this year with 2 months in Australia, which is a lot more than a 2 week cruise, I tell you!), but that they have taken most of the fun out of the cruise for me. Their "pixie dust" comes at a premium and with the continued deletions from the onboard experience, I have decided to look elsewhere with my vacation dollar.

They aren't going to miss me, but they may eventually miss the people I come in contact with. I'm no longer a DCL cheerleader.

it's a bit of everything, chip away at this and then that sooner than later what's left....? I think it is the same throughout the Disney Organization though. We were APH at WDW and that lost its luster for me, DH, and DS (hes only 9). We had our Honeymoon there (2003 Land/Sea) and well been back almost every year to WDW since . We really noticed it went down for us starting around 2009 and if we didn't have the little one we would have given up on AP back then.

We have been on DCL every few years since 2003 (me 1999) and well every time we noticed the same thing..the chipping away, less for more, but at a slower steady rate. Now we have a large transition is a short period of time; no mickey mail, changes in Alcohol policy, changes with OBB, changes in regards to general services, way less service quality (Walt is turning over right now) but yes experienced this last February- asking for items that would just normally be there, serving staff so-so, no attention to detail and that was with a concierge room (went with friends). Our Honeymoon in 2003 in a Veranda Stateroom (4A) was way better service and frankly best service from room host to serving team to bartenders and everything as compared to concierge service last year. It was better in 2012 than 2015 so we will see what 2016 brings us, most likely a ticket to never return. So yeah they aren't going to miss us either but like our AP that we gave up on, this too is better left to our memories of when the magic was once there.

I agree, Hundredacre, it is hard to put a finger on what changed my attitude toward DCL, also. I think it is the accumulation of all the changes and the feeling that we aren't welcome anymore, that they just want our wallet. It has nothing to do with whether I can afford it (I'm replacing my Disney cruise this year with 2 months in Australia, which is a lot more than a 2 week cruise, I tell you!), but that they have taken most of the fun out of the cruise for me. Their "pixie dust" comes at a premium and with the continued deletions from the onboard experience, I have decided to look elsewhere with my vacation dollar.

They aren't going to miss me, but they may eventually miss the people I come in contact with. I'm no longer a DCL cheerleader.

You hit the nail on the head.

I don't know we're about to do our 12th cruise in 4 1/2 years, and honestly I don't see a difference between our first cruise and our last. Other than the alcohol policy nothing has affected us. We don't do Mickey mail or room service. The price increases may do us in eventually, but we haven't reached that point. We cruise off season, are flexible, and take advantage of discounts we qualify for.

I really haven't seen a decline in service that others talk about, but to be completely honest I never really got the whole "pixie dust thing". My kids don't care about the characters. We've only seen a couple of shows. A cruise is about relaxing for us. Our kids have always loved the clubs. I see these huge lines for character pictures, and I thank God my kids were never into that.

I think in the near future we'll try another line, but it will be due to cost and itinerary... no other reason. Our last two cruises on the Wonder were the best cruises we have been on. Hawaii was incredible. I think I will always compare every cruise to the Hawaii cruise. I guess I'll find out in a few months if Alaska can compare.

ok so someone thinks that its ok for everyone onboard to drop things off with guest services and have someone spend the time to stamp names instead of doing their regular job? and another isnt happy because they had to ask for more shampoo? this will be my 5th cruise in march. I have been on two 7 day cruises and never had to ask for any refills however i was on a 5 night and was told that unless we asked you only got one of everything. and that was for a five night cruise. on my 7 night cruises we automatically got all new supplies on day 3 of course we had three people in our cabin on all cruises. I also stay at WDW at least once a year and if you stay less than 4 nights unless you ask, they dont refill shampoo because guests tend to take them home instead of using them for what they are meant for. I always bring my own shampoo and conditioners along as well as body wash and that way you dont have to depend on your host

We recently sailed the Wonder in October and we found the service to be fantastic with all the crew. Did not see the decline in service as others are mentioning. Maybe we were lucky who knows....I will still sail with the mouse as I feel for me the value is still there.

As far as Mickey Mail, we were cruising with DCL long before they started this so when it started always pretty much felt it would go away as it got out of hand with people dropping so many things off. We have used it on a few cruises (most recently on the May TA cruise) but don't miss it.

MJ

ok so someone thinks that its ok for everyone onboard to drop things off with guest services and have someone spend the time to stamp names instead of doing their regular job? and another isnt happy because they had to ask for more shampoo? this will be my 5th cruise in march. I have been on two 7 day cruises and never had to ask for any refills however i was on a 5 night and was told that unless we asked you only got one of everything. and that was for a five night cruise. on my 7 night cruises we automatically got all new supplies on day 3 of course we had three people in our cabin on all cruises. I also stay at WDW at least once a year and if you stay less than 4 nights unless you ask, they dont refill shampoo because guests tend to take them home instead of using them for what they are meant for. I always bring my own shampoo and conditioners along as well as body wash and that way you dont have to depend on your host

This is ridiculous. DCL is effectively stealing shampoo and conditioner from me that I have paid for in not automatically giving me my daily allotment. If I am spending $10000.00 on a seven night cruise for two small inside cabins, I am not just put out, I am offended...angry...disgusted... at the idea that dcl is trying to save 25 cents a day (maybe $1 a day) on me by not giving me my lousy shampoo and conditioner "ration" just in case I may end up taking some of my "ration" home (emphasize again: WHICH I PAID FOR). As I put in an earlier post, we did not receive shampoo and conditioner, soap etc., even toilet paper unless we chased our room hostess down in the hall at the end of the day. This bothered me every single day of our last cruise, and now that I see that a lot of other people have had the same problem, indicating a policy change, I am more than bothered because it is representative of something larger, a level of disdain DCL has for customers. This may have always been there and they were good at obscuring it, but it has seeped out, probably inadvertently. But I have seen it now, and it is ugly.

We recently sailed the Wonder in October and we found the service to be fantastic with all the crew. Did not see the decline in service as others are mentioning. Maybe we were lucky who knows....I will still sail with the mouse as I feel for me the value is still there.

As far as Mickey Mail, we were cruising with DCL long before they started this so when it started always pretty much felt it would go away as it got out of hand with people dropping so many things off. We have used it on a few cruises (most recently on the May TA cruise) but don't miss it.

MJ
We have cruised seven times, all on the Wonder, and have found the magic to be in the special attention from the cast members!! I happened to meet Winston our cabin steward from 5 years ago in the hallway and he remembered me as Mrs. Hawaii and really made my day!! We have requested our favorite server Freddy Bedoya Pinilla for our last several cruises and have been treated like royalty!! We were on the first Alaska cruise in 2011 and enjoyed it so much that we sailed again in 2013, and are looking forward to seeing it again in 2016 with many of our favorite cast members aboard!!

This is ridiculous. DCL is effectively stealing shampoo and conditioner from me that I have paid for in not automatically giving me my daily allotment. If I am spending $10000.00 on a seven night cruise for two small inside cabins, I am not just put out, I am offended...angry...disgusted... at the idea that dcl is trying to save 25 cents a day (maybe $1 a day) on me by not giving me my lousy shampoo and conditioner "ration" just in case I may end up taking some of my "ration" home (emphasize again: WHICH I PAID FOR). As I put in an earlier post, we did not receive shampoo and conditioner, soap etc., even toilet paper unless we chased our room hostess down in the hall at the end of the day. This bothered me every single day of our last cruise, and now that I see that a lot of other people have had the same problem, indicating a policy change, I am more than bothered because it is representative of something larger, a level of disdain DCL has for customers. This may have always been there and they were good at obscuring it, but it has seeped out, probably inadvertently. But I have seen it now, and it is ugly.

Could any stateroom possibly use an entire bar of soap each day?

Your cruise fare also includes all of your meals and snacks. If you eat lighter than other cruisers do you feel entitled to stock up on food and take it home with you?

I have no problem setting my empties on the bathroom counter to signal to my room host I'm in need of a refill. If I had to continually chase them down because I ran out, that would be a problem. I'm sure the room hosts know who is using the products onboard and who is stashing them to take home.

Could any stateroom possibly use an entire bar of soap each day?

Your cruise fare also includes all of your meals and snacks. If you eat lighter than other cruisers do you feel entitled to stock up on food and take it home with you?

I have no problem setting my empties on the bathroom counter to signal to my room host I'm in need of a refill. If I had to continually chase them down because I ran out, that would be a problem. I'm sure the room hosts know who is using the products onboard and who is stashing them to take home.

Food and shampoo are completely different. The shampoo etc per night is in the cost of the cabin, not in the all inclusive cruise cost like food. If there is a different person staying in a hotel room every night, the shampoo, etc is replaced daily.

Yes it is possible to go through a small bar of soap in a day or two.

We are talking pennies. I am not talking about getting extra shampoo etc. This is not "pixie dust." I am talking about one per cabin per day. It is incredibly stingy for dcl to try to hold back on paid for products.

This is also not entitlement. This is a paid for service. Rather, an overpaid for service, that dcl is not-- from our experience and others I am reading on this board- fulfilling. I am not sure why some people are uncomfortable with expecting to receive what they pay for.

Last edited:
I want to add, that it is interesting that some people report receiving a lot of shampoo/ conditioner from their state room hosts.

Food and shampoo is completely different. The shampoo etc per night is in the cost of the cabin, not the all inclusive cruise cost like food. If there is a different person staying in a hotel room every night, the shampoo, etc is replaced daily.
Yes it is possible to go through a small bar of soap in a day or two.
We are talking pennies. I am not talking about getting extra shampoo etc. This is not "pixie dust." I am talking about one per cabin per day. It is incredibly stingy for dcl to try to hold back on paid for products.
This is also not entitlement. This is a paid for service. Rather, an overpaid for service, that dcl is not-- from our experience and others I am reading on this board- fulfilling. I am not sure why some people are uncomfortable in expecting to receive what they pay for.
I don't think DCL is trying to cheat you out of extra shampoo. I think it has to do with the stateroom host/hostesses.

MUN

Food and shampoo is completely different. The shampoo etc per night is in the cost of the cabin, not in the all inclusive cruise cost like food.

You pay two separate charges for your cabin and your food?

I don't think DCL is trying to cheat you out of extra shampoo. I think it has to do with the stateroom host/hostesses.

MUN
I know. And I was thinking the same thing on the ship, but since reading what others have written I no longer thjnk that. I suspect older employees do not like the new policy and are not abiding by it. The employees are probably victims of dcl's increased stinginess as well.

As my husband pointed out why give any perks they got a captive audience that has been influenced by the love of Disney at any price. I love the ads "look its all included" or
"Look whats included". Thats included on all cruise lines with the exception of soda and soda is cheap

i'm pretty sure this will not be a popular post, I can feel the heat rising now but.......we always give the room host a tip at the beginning of our cruise when he comes to introduce him/herself. I explain its just an extra, i'm sure through the week we will request something from him that's over and above so just in case we are not around when he/she does it we wish them to have this now. when they ask if there is anything they should know or anything we may be needing I just mention that it would be nice to have extra shampoo and body lotion left if at all possible. we always come home with tons. on one b2b I had to ask the host to please stop leaving it as he would leave a full set in the morning when he made our bed and then again in the evening at turn down service. it got to be way to much. I was a bit reluctant to post this as there was a thread a while back that got really hot when it was mentioned that people were taking the h2o products home and I don't want to be the person who gets picked on now. i'm just saying it can't be a rule that you have to have empties because mine never are.

as to the cm's saying hi and remembering who we are, I have to call bs. I feel they have a data base and let the cm's know who is coming back aboard. there is just no way they remember us, no way. some maybe but certainly not all. dh and I are the most unremarkable people ever and last October our head server came over every night and reminded us he was our server on a cruise five years ago. he insisted we must remember him, after all, he remembers us. ummm, no. a server at lunch did the same. nope, don't remember you either, sorry. this happens almost every cruise, someone 'remembers' they were our 'person'. we never remember them but i'm sure if I checked back to my records they would be correct. I just don't believe that with 4000 new guests every cruise that they can pick out the people that they attended from years back. I have seen this wonder posted to often. now, this is JMO and I know lots will not agree. i'm not looking to change peoples minds, if the cm knows you and says hi, how can that be a bad thing.

i'm pretty sure this will not be a popular post, I can feel the heat rising now but.......we always give the room host a tip at the beginning of our cruise when he comes to introduce him/herself. I explain its just an extra, i'm sure through the week we will request something from him that's over and above so just in case we are not around when he/she does it we wish them to have this now. when they ask if there is anything they should know or anything we may be needing I just mention that it would be nice to have extra shampoo and body lotion left if at all possible. we always come home with tons. on one b2b I had to ask the host to please stop leaving it as he would leave a full set in the morning when he made our bed and then again in the evening at turn down service. it got to be way to much. I was a bit reluctant to post this as there was a thread a while back that got really hot when it was mentioned that people were taking the h2o products home and I don't want to be the person who gets picked on now. i'm just saying it can't be a rule that you have to have empties because mine never are.

as to the cm's saying hi and remembering who we are, I have to call bs. I feel they have a data base and let the cm's know who is coming back aboard. there is just no way they remember us, no way. some maybe but certainly not all. dh and I are the most unremarkable people ever and last October our head server came over every night and reminded us he was our server on a cruise five years ago. he insisted we must remember him, after all, he remembers us. ummm, no. a server at lunch did the same. nope, don't remember you either, sorry. this happens almost every cruise, someone 'remembers' they were our 'person'. we never remember them but i'm sure if I checked back to my records they would be correct. I just don't believe that with 4000 new guests every cruise that they can pick out the people that they attended from years back. I have seen this wonder posted to often. now, this is JMO and I know lots will not agree. i'm not looking to change peoples minds, if the cm knows you and says hi, how can that be a bad thing.
I think it depends on how much you cruise. We have CM's that remember us because we cruise a lot. They don't remember our names or what cruise we were on, but they do remember us. I'm the same way. I come in contact with a lot of people in my job. I can't always remember their name, but I know they're familiar and I do acknowledge them.

The rule with the empties is a stupid one anyway. What if there is enough shampoo in the bottle for two people, but the whole family of four wants to wash their hair before dinner? Replacements should be made before things get so low that you need it. Also, what if I take the shampoo with me to shower at the spa, empty it there and then throw it out? How will it be determined whether I am hiding the bottle or threw it out somewhere else?

I remember the same kind of thread about a supposed policy change just before my first cruise in 2013. And since then we have gotten various amounts of soap etc. But never felt like we had to prove that we used it up before it was replaced. Only one stateroom host was strange as we got lots of shampoo, but no soap. Went to guest services and asked for soap and five minutes later someone gave us 3 bars.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter