Deeply disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family and I just checked in at 10:am and went to Epcot to begin what was hoped to be a great trip. We are celebrating my parent 50 anniversary. We get back at 4:30 to head to our room when we are told it is not ready! Check in is 4:00. But it’s not ready. Now it is 5:30. And.... “it is not ready!” I am sorry but as a dvc member who is welcomed home I am beyond lvivid. Having to try to explain to my kids and my parents that we cannot yet change out of sweaty clothes and go to dinner or to even rest at the pool is tough. When this trip was planned 3 years ago .... I’m sorry. Dvc was great. Right now when I see “regular guests get their room but we are still sitting in the lobby I fail to see how we are home. Very dissatisfied with the current issues.
Why can't you rest at the pool?

Of course you can rest at the pool.

After my initial response above I was thinking about this thread and I remembered a time when my DH & I did a split stay between BW and BLT. On our last night at BW we had dinner in Canada sitting next to a nice couple, the tables were close together at that time. One of the people sitting next to us had been sick while at WDW, unfortunately for my DH he caught whatever our neighbor had. We checked out of BW early the next morning and took a taxi to BLT. I explained the situation to the person at the front desk and they got us into a room right away. It was about 10 AM in the morning, my DH crawled into the bed and pretty much didn't move from there for two days. We had a high level / lakeview room, all our requests were granted and my DH didn't have to sit on the couch in the lobby turning green. I was very thankful for that bit of Disney magic. I'm guessing it wouldn't have been good for anyone having a sick guest sitting in the lobby, that could have been a contributing factor to us getting our room so fast.

Absolutely no excuse to not have the villa ready by 4 pm, IMO, and this has been happening for years, well before the current ‘special’ issues. This is part of the reason I tend to avoid split stays, I don’t like being w/out a villa for several hours on ‘move’ day as it is.
I realize that DVC runs at near 100% occupancy, thus sometimes an issue will arise. I’ve personally seen the late to leave guest scenario, perhaps Disney needs to charge folks who aren’t out of their room on time a set amount “If the room/villa is still occupied after 11 a.m. $200 will be charged to the guest account with an additional $200 charged for each additional half hour the room/villa is occupied.” They could also formalize the guest recovery for those checking in “If your villa is not available by 4 pm $100 will be added to your guest account, with an additional $100 added for each half hour you have to wait.” Win/win, the dawdlers who think the check out time is just a ‘suggestion’ that doesn’t apply to them because name your excuse have a set consequence, and Disney gains funds to compensate those impacted by delays. Or maybe check out needs to be 10 a.m..
I do recall a couple of years ago being awakened by a knock on my door at VGF at 8 a.m. by housekeeping on check out day & when I answered they said they were checking to see if we’d left. When they knocked again at 9 a.m., I told them we were leaving at 11 and to not come back, so I think the housekeeping manpower issues are long-standing.

Last edited:

Several years ago we had a 1 bedroom booked at BLT. Our room wasn't ready until 6:30.
When we entered the room we discovered that we had been assigned a room that was still occupied. Back down to the desk in BLT lobby, spoke to a CM who told us they would fix the situation. At 7:15 we were given our room assignment. No apologies.

I travel for a living and I just want to say that in the past year, I have had this happen multiple times at other hotels. It most certainly does happen. Marriott and Hilton both. Check in for them is 3 p.m. and I have not gotten my room till later in Chicago (Naperville), KC and San Antonio. Both Chicago and KC actually gave me credits to use at the restaurant or Bar which I just went to the bar, got a drink and worked on my laptop. San Antonio didn't even have enough staff to have the bar and restaurant open. I did receive double points for my stay but that was it. I think many are not aware of the problems across the entire country. Restaurants have closed or not re-opened because they just simply cannot get enough staff. I actually met the housekeeper in San Antonio right outside my room when I finally got in and I talked briefly with her. She was working 12+ hours every day. I tipped her even though I had not got in my room yet. You could tell she was stressed and tired.

We flew 20 hours to Sydney in 2019 and didn't have a room ready on arrival. And it was a VERY EXPENSIVE downtown Hilton. We showered in the fitness center and changed out clothes and then decided the best move was to ride a boat around the harbor. I have had this happen all over the world in some very nice hotels. (And if you are ever in Sydney, the Marble Bar in the basement of the Hilton is worth a stop).

This happened to us when we rented points at CCV in 2019. We arrived at 9:30am so we were exhausted from getting on a 5:30am flight. I knew we couldn't rely on our room being ready when we got there, but we didn't get in until about 6pm. I inquired every hour starting at about 3pm. There was no apology or compensation (which I didn't expect). That is the last time we will take a flight that early; we were too tired to go to the parks when we arrived and we stayed in the hotel just hoping the room would be ready soon. I still love Wilderness Lodge (and was glad they have such nice little seating areas in the hotel) but it was a very long day.

This doesn't just happen to DVC owners. It happens to us regular guests too:) We also have a 5am flight with a change inn Mpls. We get up at 3am to get ready and get to the airport. We usually arrive at WDW around 1pm. Is that when you arrived? We Know this happens, but we have fp's (when we had them) for early afternoon and a sit down dinner scheduled to help us wait for our check in. Only a few times have we had to wait for our room, but we went in knowing that we would not be able to get a room before the 4pm check in time, so we arranged a half a park day. That helped alot. Even before covid, it was not unusual to have to wait a bit for our rooms. WE always planned accordingly. Was it fun after getting up at 3am? No, but we knew this would be a long, tiring day.
Right now, I think it is because of low staffing everywhere in all resorts and they are doing he best they can. I don't know if housekeeping is union, but if it is, then there is that too. Hope this doesn't happen again to you.

Like others have said, check in time is "after 4 PM". Having said that, when you start creeping up on 7 or 8 PM, then I think some compensation is warranted. Since we're talking DVC and villas, then it's not unreasonable to (hypothetically) assume the member was planning on preparing their own dinner in the villa that evening, and due to the delay, was forced to purchase the meal instead. I think a reasonable baseline compensation would be some set dollar amaount, multiplied by the number of registered guests in the party.

Now it's more likely most folks aren't planning on cooking dinner after a long travel day, but it at least provides a starting metric for placing some kind of value on the inconvenience.

Could it be the enhanced cleaning due to covid? The condition the villa was left in by previous occupants? Just throwing that out there.

We've had this happen to us at Marriotts. One stay it was closer to 8pm before our room was ready. We were compensated - huge room discount.

DVC check in has never been at 4pm, it is after 4pm, basically they start to check in at 4pm but your room is not guaranteed by 4. Often you get your room before 4pm but sometimes it is later. The rooms are a lot bigger than standard rooms the 2 and 3 bedroom villas take longer to clean but check out is the same at 11am so they have more to do.

They do start check in before 4. We've gotten rooms as early as 11:00 - when we generally arrive. But our room has seldom been available at arrival, usually we drop luggage and go into the parks. We never make "change clothes" dinner plans - especially after a Magical Express luggage delivery at 11pm. We usually head to Epcot, since there is a lot of strolling and sitting (and drinking) that can be done, you can catnap through Spaceship Earth and Living With the Land (and formerly Universe of Energy was a great nap) - plus home is Boardwalk and since that is usually where we stay, Epcot is convenient. When the kids were little, we'd pop them into the strollers and they'd sleep. I know other people plan for arrival day to be a pool day.

Like others have said, check in time is "after 4 PM". Having said that, when you start creeping up on 7 or 8 PM, then I think some compensation is warranted. Since we're talking DVC and villas, then it's not unreasonable to (hypothetically) assume the member was planning on preparing their own dinner in the villa that evening, and due to the delay, was forced to purchase the meal instead. I think a reasonable baseline compensation would be some set dollar amaount, multiplied by the number of registered guests in the party.

Now it's more likely most folks aren't planning on cooking dinner after a long travel day, but it at least provides a starting metric for placing some kind of value on the inconvenience.

There are a lot of things people could be planning on. A shower and a dinner at V&A. Getting the kids a decent nap. But since we have all been told check in is AFTER 4, its our responsibility to have backup plans.

There are a lot of things people could be planning on. A shower and a dinner at V&A. Getting the kids a decent nap. But since we have all been told check in is AFTER 4, its our responsibility to have backup plans.

Sure. I plan on sleeping in the room the first night too. Since 11:59 PM is still technically "after 4", but before the calendar changes, then that would also ostensibly be ok per the "letter of the law". It's a reductio ad absurdum argument obviously, but there has to be a point where a line is drawn. I simply proferred some sort of metric that could be applied as a starting point to assign some sort of value to the inconvenience once it becomes more than that.

Last edited:
DVC isn't a hotel, its a timeshare.
Check In is AFTER 4 on paperwork.
This is one of the huge reasons you shouldn't buy a timeshare without understanding what you are getting and if it will work for you. Its rare that you don't get in before 4, but it happens. We always have a backup plan ready to go - especially when we had little kids. I think last trip it was after 5 before we got our reservation information - but we were in Epcot, and didn't care too much.
I'm sorry I don't buy this.
If it means that the room could be ready anytime with no guarantee, would 11:59pm still acceptable?
Why not say after 0:01 am, if it's any random time during the day?

After 4pm means that anytime you arrive after 4pm you should be able to check in. A delay may happen but should be rare and possibly compensated (even if it's only an apology and maybe a drink at the bar).

I understand this is a difficult time and I'm ready to be more understanding, but as members we should not settle for a subpar service.

Last edited:
I would always prepare for the worst when checking in to a busy hotel. When we check in at Beach Club we have the kids wear swim clothes underneath their travel clothes just to be ready to spend some time at the pool while waiting for our room if need be. I know every travel schedule and circumstance is unique, but I just would never take the 4pm check-in for granted, even though it is DVC. Stuff happens...

I'm sorry I don't buy this.
If it means that the room could be ready anytime with no guarantee, would 11:59pm still acceptable?
Why not say after 0:01 am, if it's any random time during the day?

After 4pm means that anytime you arrive after 4pm you should be able to check in. A delay may happen but should be rare and possibly compensated (even if it's only an apology and maybe a drink at the bar).

I understand this is a difficult time and I'm ready to be more understanding, but as members we should settle for a subpar service.

No, but after 4 means that you aren't entitled to get into your room BY 4. And those were the terms every single one of us bought under. 6pm does seem reasonable for a check in time that is "after 4."

No, but after 4 means that you aren't entitled to get into your room BY 4. And those were the terms every single one of us bought under. 6pm does seem reasonable for a check in time that is "after 4."
But people get their room before 4pm often. In most my trips I got it often after lunch. Why not say after 1pm if it means there is no guarantee anyway? Why after 4pm, a time that is reasonable after the normal hotel checkin? Why not after 2pm. Why not after 10am? The exact policy should then be anytime during the day.
And I may be wrong but it used to be "at 4pm", they later changed it "after 4pm" because creating confusion on the policy is easier than strive to improve the service.

BTW I have inquired MS about this and they said they cannot guarantee a room ready for 4pm, but they try to have rooms ready by that time.

I would always prepare for the worst when checking in to a busy hotel. When we check in at Beach Club we have the kids wear swim clothes underneath their travel clothes just to be ready to spend some time at the pool while waiting for our room if need be. I know every travel schedule and circumstance is unique, but I just would never take the 4pm check-in for granted, even though it is DVC. Stuff happens...
We have an upcoming trip and will land at 8am then take magical express to the hotel. i was going to pack my 5 year old sons in carry-on but wearing underneath clothes sounds like a great idea - thanks!

The last time we had a 3 BR Grand Villa at OKW, we had a cleaning staff pacing around and knocking on our door at 10 am. It made the last half hour or so (guests from three different families going different directions) uncomfortable to say the least. The crew probably could have cleaned several studios in the time they were standing around our door.

We have waited before and I personally will forgive about an hour and then it is on their time! We have a nice chat...

This is a good point. Now that I think about it, we have never had to wait for a room at any other hotel ever. Seriously, never. And we travel a lot.
I must have the worst luck because I've had to wait for a hotel room to be ready numerous times. The very worst was the hotel we were all staying in for our daughter's wedding. Imagine that! We had a large block of rooms and hosted a brunch the following morning at the hotel. And our room was not ready before the wedding. We had to change in my brother's room because it was ready. The excuse given was that they had a large party of traveling soccer teams that didn't vacate their rooms on time. So housekeeping was behind on getting rooms turned over.

Our luck at Disney has been 50-50. We had a studio at BLT ready when we arrived at 9:30 AM and a BWV studio that wasn't ready until 8:00 PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter