Do you have deadbolts on your home?

• Yes, on all doors

Votes: 87 78.4%
  • Yes, on one door

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 13.5%

• Total voters
Yes they all have them......7 0f them. They came with the doors when we had the house built.
But I know if someone wants to get in, they will. Lots of windows.

Really didn't pay attention but our exterior doors only have deadbolts, no lock in the knob. We remodeled 8 years ago and replaced all the doors. Only question the Project Manager had about locks was if we wanted one on the master bedroom door. We didn't.

No, they do make sense. His point is that deadbolts stop the people who aren't "specifically" targeting you or your house - the wandering drunk who thinks your house is his house, the teenage kids who are just doing a gang initiation or a dare, the desperate addict just needing quick cash, etc.

But, if someone is specifically targeting you or your house, they won't care about the extra 5-10 minutes it takes to figure out how to get in. They will stay to do it.

Well, they might, but extra time is the enemy of a burgler. If someone really wants in your house, all the locks in the world won't stop them unless you live in a fortress. The deadolt is a deterrent but not a guarantee. Other great deterrents are alarm systems, cameras, and lights - especially lights! All of that stuff can be defeated one way or another, but it's not typically worth the trouble for the average residential break-in artist.

The most important part of my home security system is the sign saying that I have one! It's not gonna stop Ocean's 11 or anything, but they're likely looking at better targets than my place. 🤣

Well, they might, but extra time is the enemy of a burgler. If someone really wants in your house, all the locks in the world won't stop them unless you live in a fortress. The deadolt is a deterrent but not a guarantee. Other great deterrents are alarm systems, cameras, and lights - especially lights! All of that stuff can be defeated one way or another, but it's not typically worth the trouble for the average residential break-in artist.

The most important part of my home security system is the sign saying that I have one! It's not gonna stop Ocean's 11 or anything, but they're likely looking at better targets than my place. 🤣
I almost completely agree. Anything that is a deterrent is great, but cameras I question. I see sooooo many videos posted on NextDoor and our Neighborhood Watch Facebook page, where the person can clearly be identified, but they never lead to an arrest.
However, I did pay to put security cameras on my daughter's house. In return she sends me video clips of every cat, wild turkey, skunk, possum and squirrel that wanders through her yard!

Every door. When I moved in my front door, which had glass, had a one-sided deadbolt while the garage door that didn't have any glass was 2 sided. One of the first things I did was swap those around.

Our front door has a deadbolt and a lock on the handle, our back door is a slider with just 1 lock, and the door into our garage just has the lock on the handle (which incidentally is never locked). I also made my DH install a real door at the base of our bilco doors, only has a lock on handle but the door into the finished part of the basement has a deadbolt and door lock.

But we have numerous windows on the ground level that are often open and would only require cutting the screen, So really why would you mess with the door with a lock?

Sorry to be blunt here but those who didn't lock their houses or cars, or left the car keys in the car we used to call volunteer victims.
In our area thieves do generally hit the "crimes of opportunity" so anything to be done to make it harder is advised. This was a few months ago but the largest city in my county put out that 80% of their car thefts (either whole car or things stolen out of it) were from unlocked cars. Will a locked car (or locked house) totally prevent? No but the goal is really to make it harder and potentially take more time to the point where the effort is greater and not seen as worth it as much.

But I know if someone wants to get in, they will. Lots of windows.
All of our windows have two locks to them, they are all locked at all times, when we open the windows we ensure to lock them back again when we close them. Not sure how strong the locks are but it sure isn't too too easy.

she doesn't see the need for them and thinks the locks in the doorknobs are good enough. Growing up as I did in a major city, every house had at least one deadbolt, if not more. In her small town, the doors were very rarely locked at all.

While it was great growing up with that innocence and idyllic setting, one is only innocent and idyllic until something happens to rob us of that.

I grew up in such a small town. Then one day, in the middle of the afternoon, the neighbor's house was robbed. The wife came home from shopping and found the door ajar and the parts of the house she could see were ransacked.

It was the time, way before cellphones. The landline phone in the house was luckily near the door. Upset, she called her husband at work. He, and co-workers overhearing the conversation, yelled for her to get out of the house as the intruder(s) could still be in there. To get back in the car, lock the car doors and drive to the street, while he called the police and came home.

Luckily there was no intruder inside. The house was rummaged through, especially their bedroom. The thieves took many things from the house and especially from the master bedroom. The neighbors felt extremely violated. Their sense of safety was gone. Also gone was the innocence and idea that they lived in a safe, idyllic neighborhood where things like that didn't happen.

The police said everyone thinks that until it happens to them. That a simple deadbolt would have deterred the thieves who would have moved on to the next easy target. That it's a TV show myth that most thieves break in at night and prowl around while the owners are at home and sleeping. Why would a thief go in and risk a confrontation if the owners woke up? That the majority of household burglaries happen during the day, when the owners and the neighbors are at work, so there are no witnesses. They prefer houses they can get into easily, with no deadbolts. They don't like to break windows and get in that way, as the sound of glass breaking carries and that may attract neighbors who call the police.

The wife, who had already been a bit paranoid and agoraphobic was never the same after that. Being the first to come upon the scene, being told the intruders could still be inside with her, that they walked and rummaged though the master bedroom, robbed her of more than physical possessions. The incident became a turning point where she markedly emotionally declined after that and became increasingly more agoraphobic and felt unsafe. She was no longer even safe in her own home. Even after deadbolt locks were put on all the doors, she never lost that feeling that she was not safe anywhere. :sad1:

A basic deadbolt from Home Depot is about $40-$60. It's worth it to secure your wife's innocence by putting them on the doors. Even if she doesn't engage the locks, thieves seeing them on the outside of doors will likely make them move onto the next house instead of taking the 50% chance that it might be unlocked. . . unless your wife also doesn't lock the doorknobs.

(Here in NYC, I have a top-of-the-line Medico brand deadbolt lock. The cylinder part of the lock alone is $99, which most of us change when moving into a new apartment. It is pick-proof and basically drill-proof, certainly drill-proof enough that thieves don't want to take the extra 20 minutes drilling through, and the noise, when they could be in and out of another place already.)

Yes, double lock on the front door, including a deadbolt. Our back door is a slider out to the deck with just a latch, but for extra security, we drop a bar in the track when we go out.

FWIW, we never lock any of the doors unless we're all going away on vacation. I don't even have a key to our front door so I hope the code is what I think it is, if I ever need to open it. :o
Whew...I was reading thru this thread thinking I was the only one!
We have a coded lock on the laundry room door, which we don't use. And if I had to find the right keys for the right doors I'd be about a hour, first to find the container of keys, next to try them in the various locks. Every once in a while I think to myself I need to do that....so no, no deadbolts here. A large dog, a gun but not deadbolts. And yes, neither the dog nor the gun guarantees our safety in the event of determined break-in, although perhaps it would help if it was a random drunk person (not to many of those out on the farm that don't already live in the house, but hey you never know....) If someone wanted in bad enough I doubt the deadbolt would stop them. All but two of our doors are glass french doors, and those other two have glass as well.

I live at the end of a dirt road in a rural area. Not only to all the doors have deadbolt locks, all of the sliders have a rod in the track and a pin through the door, and all doors/windows are alarmed. If something happens and we need help, it can take the PD a while to get here, so we also have our own protection.

That a simple deadbolt would have deterred the thieves who would have moved on to the next easy target.
There's no way to know that with any certainty. It MIGHT have. Or the thieves may have found a window to break, or some other way in the house. A deadbolt is not a magic talisman that a thief is going to come up and say "oh, there's a deadbolt here, on to the next house". Granted, some thieves may, but it's not a guarantee.

There's no way to know that with any certainty. It MIGHT have. Or the thieves may have found a window to break, or some other way in the house. A deadbolt is not a magic talisman that a thief is going to come up and say "oh, there's a deadbolt here, on to the next house". Granted, some thieves may, but it's not a guarantee.

I'll stick with what the professional police said to my parents when they came over to question if we witnessed anything. These police are the ones who had answered and personally witnessed and assessed many of the same types of situations, over what DISexperts have to say. :lmao:

Some crimes are of those of opportunity. And an unlocked house door or running/unlocked car makes you more vulnerable. Others criminals are more determined and will have the skills and tools needed to enter many homes or cars as they please.

I know people who have never locked their home. And they don’t live in a crime free area. One even goes away for months on end.

Deadbolt may provide you an extra sense of security but as others has mentioned, it also depends on the type of crime you are trying to deter and how the rest of your home is configured. If you leave first floor windows unlocked, then it really doesn't matter what type of locks you have on the doors. Some criminals may just smash a window to gain entrance to an empty home in a rural area where homes are further apart.

My parents moved into a home that had deadbolts on doors that also required a key to open from INSIDE the house. One issue with that in the event of a fire, the homeowner could find themselves trapped in their own home if they can't remember/find the key in an emergency. They changed out those locks so only the exterior side required a key.

No matter where you live, locking up your home when away or at night just makes good sense. Who knows what delivery, home repair, maintenance or landscape person might view this as an opportunity to steal things? Regardless of how 'safe' you consider the area where you live with reputable neighbors, doesn't prevent an outsider from committing a crime.

Oh, bless her heart. Buy the deadbolts. If nothing else, your insurance will give you credit for it.

Thanks to the opiod epidemic and meth production, drug-related crime in rural areas and small towns is WAY up in the US. The most dangerous city in my state is FAR away from any major city, and has a population of just around 2300; the property crime rate there is slightly over 95%, and the violent crime rate is over 40%.

I grew up in a tiny town (not that one, thank goodness), and we were burglarized several times there by people looking for drugs &/or weapons; we didn't have any really rich people, so the local ne'er-do-wells (and there are *always* local ne'er-do-wells) had no choice but to go after low-hanging fruit; they were especially fond of doing burglaries during funerals, because whole neighborhoods would be reliably empty for hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter