Do you have deadbolts on your home?

• Yes, on all doors

Votes: 87 78.4%
  • Yes, on one door

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 13.5%

• Total voters
Really didn't pay attention but our exterior doors only have deadbolts, no lock in the knob. We remodeled 8 years ago and replaced all the doors. Only question the Project Manager had about locks was if we wanted one on the master bedroom door. We didn't.
This is our situation. Live in Chicago burbs and often forget to lock them. If someone wants in a dead bolt isn’t going to stop them.

Our house deadbolted on all exterior doors and the deadbolt is on at all times.

Whew...I was reading thru this thread thinking I was the only one!
We have a coded lock on the laundry room door, which we don't use. And if I had to find the right keys for the right doors I'd be about a hour, first to find the container of keys, next to try them in the various locks. Every once in a while I think to myself I need to do that....so no, no deadbolts here. A large dog, a gun but not deadbolts. And yes, neither the dog nor the gun guarantees our safety in the event of determined break-in, although perhaps it would help if it was a random drunk person (not to many of those out on the farm that don't already live in the house, but hey you never know....) If someone wanted in bad enough I doubt the deadbolt would stop them. All but two of our doors are glass french doors, and those other two have glass as well.
:o I'm not exactly proud of it, nor glib enough to think it's a fantastic idea and everybody should do it. But I honestly have never in my life personally known anyone who has suffered a break-and-enter of their home in our city or anywhere else, for that matter. I certainly don't have a gun (basically nobody does here) or a dog and I also don't feel the need for either. I do think everyone should do whatever is within the bounds of the law to make themselves feel secure.

Growing up in a small town we never even locked our doors. My former in-laws, who lived right next door to me growing up, would regularly go out of town and not even close the front door and even when they did close the front door they didn't have a key for it so it was never locked. I never even saw a door with a deadbolt on it until college and to this day I don't use the deadbolt on our apartment door--my kids do though and they are always berating me for not using it. Funny thing is, my kids grew up in the same small town I did, yet somehow they feel like they need to use the deadbolt. The world is different now.

I'm not exactly proud of it, nor glib enough to think it's a fantastic idea and everybody should do it
I didn't get that from your post. I know we (personally) ought to be better about it at our house.

This thread has inspired me to get my keys together and at least know what key goes to what door and so some locking.

I didn't get that from your post. I know we (personally) ought to be better about it at our house.

This thread has inspired me to get my keys together and at least know what key goes to what door and so some locking.
Ha! I'm with you here too. A couple of months ago we were having a weird scenario where our basement entry door from the underground parkade (we live in a condo) would blow open when the overhead door went up. We had to scramble to find the key so we could lock it from the outside as we're leaving. :teeth:

We had a locksmith come out and standardize our locks. Every lock, both deadbolt and handle locks, all use the exact same key. Obviously you want to make sure you don't lose that key but if we did we would have him come out and re-key them all to a new single key.

And depending on your brand of lock, you can often go to your local home improvement store and replace the lock cylinders. Something good to do anytime you move into an existing home since you have no idea who else might have been given a set of keys by the prior owner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter