DAS changes starting June 18

It's going to be chaos and cause problems if someone in an EVC needs to turn around and get back through narrow winding lines.

Isn't it so that at the moment, under the current system, you have the same problem with an ECV. If you need to leave the line, for whatever reason, you need to go back through the line as well?

(Disclaimer, not an ECV or wheelchair user)

Isn't it so that at the moment, under the current system, you have the same problem with an ECV. If you need to leave the line, for whatever reason, you need to go back through the line as well?

(Disclaimer, not an ECV or wheelchair user)

People who have medical needs that require urgent action, but also use an EVC, currently qualify for DAS, so they aren't waiting in the lines. In other words, only EVC users who can stay in the line the whole time are currently in them. That would change under the proposed new system.

Last edited:
Are the new policies effectively immediately? On June 18th? I know on June 18th the processing of in-person registration for DAS will take place at the old ticket booths in the Esplanade.

I read on another board somewhere an interesting comment which made me think. Disney have really brought this mess upon themselves. Way back when FP was FREE there was never this enormity of problem abusing the DAS system and that was because it was pretty much a level playing field. EVERYONE, even those with any sort of disability, could go and get themselves a FP and then return to ride without waiting in a long line. Once they monetised it people started looking for a way to avoid paying for a "skip the line" experience and therefore abusers abounded. I know there is no way that Disney will ever get rid of a system that is making them SOOOO much money but this is now the reality of the situation and it is all their fault no matter what anyone says. (By the way I in no way aim this comment at anyone with a genuine disability only at those that are abusing the system).

This is disappointing. DAS makes the difference between going to the parks or not for so many people.
I don't think Disney understands how stressful it is for people to wonder if they'll be able to get DAS, even with the current system. And it can't be black and white, like "This condition gets it, this does not," because everyone is different. Usually the CMs on the video chat make a point to tell you they don't need a diagnosis or documentation to approve it, but it sounds like that will change.

The ideas they posted for helping yourself handle the lines aren't very realistic. Like how can you even try to make a "Bubble" in a line with switchbacks? And I think most people would have already tried things like "Bring a snack" or "Play on a tablet" if they thought it would help them get through a 60 minute line.

There are other issues, too, like auditory or visual triggers that might be fine walking through quickly but would be too much to handle if someone is stuck in the line for a long time. I don't think they had a suggestion for that.

I always wonder how they know people are abusing the system. Like couldn't it just be that alot more people are aware of it now and use it? Or as others have mentioned, people who in the past might have just grabbed a fastpass decided that DAS works better for them than buying Genie+ for their entire party.

I read on another board somewhere an interesting comment which made me think. Disney have really brought this mess upon themselves. Way back when FP was FREE there was never this enormity of problem abusing the DAS system and that was because it was pretty much a level playing field. EVERYONE, even those with any sort of disability, could go and get themselves a FP and then return to ride without waiting in a long line. Once they monetised it people started looking for a way to avoid paying for a "skip the line" experience and therefore abusers abounded. I know there is no way that Disney will ever get rid of a system that is making them SOOOO much money but this is now the reality of the situation and it is all their fault no matter what anyone says. (By the way I in no way aim this comment at anyone with a genuine disability only at those that are abusing the system).
Dave from freshbaked has talked about this on his Thursday Q/A

Though another poster in a thread said this is not the first time the system had to change because of abuse but I think this system is changing because
1) Universal changed it's system
2) Its gone up 3 Times in the past few years
3) They want to sell more genie plus and many "lied" to not have to pay 30 bucks a visit

Are the new policies effectively immediately? On June 18th?
The new information is already posted on the website that is why I am asking.

Are the new policies effectively immediately? On June 18th?
The new information is already posted on the website that is why I am asking.
I'll try to ask that..I've tried twice to call them about it and was on the website waiting for my turn and both times just forgot and missed my chance...will try again tomorrow, lol

Have you ever noticed how many board a plane early with mobility issues but seem to have no problem getting off with everyone else
Again though, the Companies themselves create these problems. Those airlines that have made the rules that you have to pay for reserved seating or more for up front seating have created this problem. People now feel they need to "invent" a problem or way, to allow them to skip the line to get on the plane first. There was never this problem when a reserved seat was included in your airfare. Then only people with little kids, really old people or people on crutches etc boarded early, everyone else had to wait until their seat row number was called. This problem is also exacerbated by charging people for checked in luggage. Now people take the biggest or most luggage they can as carry on which means there is no overhead space left if you are one of the last to board. People will always try to find a way to cut lines or save money and businesses just don't take that into consideration when they monetise components of their offerings that once were free.

This was my thought too.
Exactly. As I stated earlier-equal treatment under the law. The ADA speaks to limitations and disabilities, not diagnoses. The core need/limitation is the same, regardless of diagnosis. The accommodation should also be the same FOR THE SAME CHALLENGE. Different challenge? The accommodation should meet the need lf that challenge It MIGHT be the same accommodation, it might not.

People who have medical needs that require urgent action, but also use an EVC, currently qualify for DAS, so they aren't waiting in the lines. In other words, only EVC users who can stay in the line the whole time are currently in them. That would change under the proposed new system.
Yet the LL queues are significant these days and often 30+minutes after entering the queue, so for occurrences at this time, there is no clear mechanism to rejoin aside people in the queue remembering the rejoining parties.

Disney is trying to place an official policy to address this along with what is perceived by many an increasing amount of 'rejoining' members in the standby lines.

So instead of adjusting their line system (standard wait vs. Genie plus) that makes people take advantage of the disability services in the first place, they've decided to punish the actual beneficiaries of the program?
EXACTLY! There is no single definition for a disability so we are not being accommodated due to the cheaters?

As it is I can barely spend a few hours in the park and go on one ride and perhaps a meal. We gave up our AP's and sold many of our DVC contracts. Why bother going anymore?

Well, I guess this eliminates the DAS for my daughter with epilepsy. She really struggles at the parks when the temperatures go above 80. There are many queues she simply cannot wait in if the sun is out. This return line thing doesn’t sound like a solution to me. Will we be expected to wait in line until she can’t do it any longer then on the way out, explain to a CM why we are leaving to be able to utilize the return line?
Sometimes it is only 70 degrees but 100 percent humidity and I can barely take that. I am sorry the cheaters have provoked this and Disney is now punishing the disabled, me included.

As pointed out, Disney has posted enough details for people to have genuine concerns. Disney expressly said DAS is for developmental disabilities only. If a multibillion dollar corporation doesn't mean that, then it's its own failt not putting proper resources into their communications and being more thoughtful and clear before touching such a sensitive subject.

Don't fault people for standing up for their rights, or loved one's rights, to reasonable access to public spaces. Life is extra hard for many people without corporations putting more obstacles in the way, which are poorly designed and will almost certainly weed out people's access who really need it, while just changing the particular lies told by cheaters who don't.

Reasonable, as you are using it, is defined by law. To date, despite all of the past changes to the program, Disney's actions have proven reasonable.

Perhaps you think this is the time their lawyers have lost their minds. Fair enough. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Nothing in any of what has been released appears to take away reasonable access as defined by the ADA. Further, those who "really need it", again, as defined by the ADA, will still have access. Even further, it will most definitely cut down on the cheating.

While logically you would think this was the case, reality is different. DAS was implemented in 2013, in large part to combat abuse of the old system (GAC). That was long before FP had been monetized.

Cheaters try to cheat. It's just what they do. The old FP system, like G+, had limitations on the number of FP's you could hold. Cheaters would use the GAC either in conjunction with FP or instead of FP to get around the limitations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter