Daily Room checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nancykb

Earning My Ears
OK, so please forgive me for what I know is an ongoing question. I have looked through a few threads and can't seem to find conclusive answers. Here goes:
If a room door is locked with the latch and deadbolt, can staff who are doing the room check still get in?

Our routine when getting ready to leave is that I shower, then hubby goes in, but I am running around undressed doing stuff while he's in there. It gives me a chance to put on cream, do my hair, choose clothes, even pack a bag if we are taking one that day, etc. It's just my routine, even at home. Please don't bash me or suggest I change my ways, I'm only wondering what to expect with regards to them coming into the room. Will I need to buy a housecoat for my morning routine?

They can override, but not without some effort. It certainly won't be a "barging in" and catching you unawares.
You shouldn't need to change your routine. It sounds like "most" people are not having a different experience than usual.

There have been no reports of CMs forcing the door latch to enter a room for a routine check. No one will walk in on you if you have the latch closed. If someone knocks or opens the door, I'd just call out "Sorry, still getting ready, can you come back later, please?"

There have been no reports of CMs forcing the door latch to enter a room for a routine check. No one will walk in on you if you have the latch closed. If someone knocks or opens the door, I'd just call out "Sorry, still getting ready, can you come back later, please?"
This. Make sure you use the latch, and a call out saying you’re still getting ready, or not dressed, come back later should do.
There had been a report of them walking in on a husband still in underpants, but latch wasn’t used. I’ve heard they knock lightly then walk in without waiting for a reply :scared:
I make it a habit no mater what hotel I’m at to use latch or chain when I’m in the room.

I am just now reading up on the room checks - my only question is - Do they do a separate room check IF mousekeeping is coming everyday? I saw where someone posted that they don't do an additional room check unless you decline mousekeeping.

OK, so please forgive me for what I know is an ongoing question. I have looked through a few threads and can't seem to find conclusive answers. Here goes:
If a room door is locked with the latch and deadbolt, can staff who are doing the room check still get in?

Our routine when getting ready to leave is that I shower, then hubby goes in, but I am running around undressed doing stuff while he's in there. It gives me a chance to put on cream, do my hair, choose clothes, even pack a bag if we are taking one that day, etc. It's just my routine, even at home. Please don't bash me or suggest I change my ways, I'm only wondering what to expect with regards to them coming into the room. Will I need to buy a housecoat for my morning routine?

It is absolutely insane that you should need to purchase extra clothing to protect yourself from Disney prying into your private business in the morning. But yes, security can open the deadbolt should they desire. I am not hearing that this is as big of a problem in the morning (housekeeping, yes, security, no) as in the PM when people are trying to rest.

I am just now reading up on the room checks - my only question is - Do they do a separate room check IF mousekeeping is coming everyday? I saw where someone posted that they don't do an additional room check unless you decline mousekeeping.

In my experience, no, they do not do a separate check if you have housekeeping. I was one who always declined housekeeping, even before they offered gift cards for it. My last (and I mean last!) on-site stay I did not decline housekeeping, so I allowed one intrusion to avoid the other.

Are you planning to decline housekeeping? From my understanding, you won't get a "room check" if you are having housekeeping come in and make up the room. All the reports of being disturbed have been people who declined housekeeping or, who are staying in their room right up until check out time on their last day.

Not routinely. We've had 2 stays (covering 4 different resorts) since the policy changed and always accept Housekeeping. We have never had a security check or been disturb in our room in any way

However, if you happen to be in your room when Housekeeping comes by and they don't come in to do their cleaning and they mark you as skipped/passed that does seem to trigger some sort of immediate security check in many cases. So something to be aware of.

My mind pictures Housekeeping using a radio to call down to some office to say Smith room 106, skipped cleaning, at which time sirens sound and red lights go off (like at a fire station) which causes Disney security to head out in Swat formation to move in to secure your room. No, it's not that severe but if you read some of the reports that is how it seems and it does appear to be pretty fast between Housekeeping skipping you and the knock from someone wanting to do a welfare check. It is rather ridiculous that one leads to another.

Not routinely. We've had 2 stays (covering 4 different resorts) since the policy changed and always accept Housekeeping. We have never had a security check or been disturb in our room in any way

However, if you happen to be in your room when Housekeeping comes by and they don't come in to do their cleaning and they mark you as skipped/passed that does seem to trigger some sort of immediate security check in many cases. So something to be aware of.

My mind pictures Housekeeping using a radio to call down to some office to say Smith room 106, skipped cleaning, at which time sirens sound and red lights go off (like at a fire station) which causes Disney security to head out in Swat formation to move in to secure your room. No, it's not that severe but if you read some of the reports that is how it seems and it does appear to be pretty fast between Housekeeping skipping you and the knock from someone wanting to do a welfare check. It is rather ridiculous that one leads to another.

I like your explanation!! :rotfl2:It sounds crazy but I think you're 100% correct." No, Mr. Smith- you're not really dressing- we are sending the SWAT team in to investigate"

Are you planning to decline housekeeping? From my understanding, you won't get a "room check" if you are having housekeeping come in and make up the room. All the reports of being disturbed have been people who declined housekeeping or, who are staying in their room right up until check out time on their last day.

This is not accurate. We did not decline housekeeping, and we had a security check our first day. We were not in the room most of the 2nd day and had housekeeping, but still had a phone call to check if we needed towels. I thought it really weird at the time as I told them housekeeping had come and given us fresh towels. Didn't really think about it again, but looking back, it was all around odd. No one came again while we were there, but who knows how many people may have peeked in while we were gone.

It seems that the "policy" was rolled out without any clear instructions, so it really depends on which manager/CMs are on duty and what their interpretation is. I would definitely NOT assume that just because you have housekeeping, and didn't see anyone while you were there, that there wasn't a second, or third, check of your room while you were out. But as others have said, while they may pound until you open the door, as long as you have the latch, you should not need a robe.

No, we don't decline housekeeping! I like having my bed made so I can collapse into it after a full day at the park! :tongue:

I have said this in a similar thread. Why introduce the skip housekeeping and pay the guest when you then have to employ extra staff or pay existing staff to work extra hours to check the skip rooms.
To me, someone higher up thought, less housekeepers required equals money saved, and didn't look into the the cause and effects of such a decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter