Customer Service

It's a bad position. DD#2 did it for a few months, and had a woman spit on her because her ticket was blocked for the day. The lead let the woman and her family into the park, and DD was talked to about her "customer service skills". All she did was tell the woman the day was blocked on her ticket, but she could purchase a ticket for the day at the ticket counter...just like she was trained to do. Put in her notice that day.

People at the gates get treated like crap, and they receive no support from their leads. It's all about 'guest recovery'.

With that being said, she did like working at the gate in the mornings. She always volunteered to find the family to open the park, and loved helping with the show.

She moved to Bong's for awhile, then onto Batuu. Pixie dusted when she could, by giving away a candy or helping entertain a small child while the parents decided what t buy; and was always game to talk about her "Porg sanctuary" while building scrap metal with guests.
Back in April, I went to the park with my friend and her sister. At the gate, the man in front of us gave the CM a hard time b/c he didn't want to take his picture. Eventually a lead had to get called, and the man preceded to yell at the leads about this. When we finally got to scan in, my friend's sister said, " You're doing a great job! We are excited to be here". The CM's grumpy face turned to a big smile. Ever since then, I try and give compliments or even smile at CM's who don't seem as enthusiastic and it can make their day.

Not to go off topic, but maybe it will take this thread in a more positive direction anyway...! What is pixie dust? I think I understand the idea conceptually, but what are some examples of pixie dust in the park? CMs being... extra nice? Giving you a good table at a restaurant?

I wish I thought to write down the times we received pixie dust... My memory is terrible.

About 6 years ago we were staying at DLH for my daughter’s birthday. We had rented a cabana at the pool but it was raining that day. We decided to make the most of it and hope the weather would clear up by the afternoon. It didn’t, but our daughter (6 at the time) didn’t care. She was the only kid on the water slides and in the pool the whole day. She’d ride down one, give all the lifeguards high fives, and then go ride another one. It was so cold all the lifeguards were wearing sweats and parkas. One of them came up to me and said they normally close the water slides in this kind of weather, but they decided to keep them open a bit longer because our daughter was having so much fun and they all thought she was a riot. When they did finally shut down the slides, all the lifeguards in that area each brought her a signed character picture. It was so sweet and really softened the blow of being told to leave. 😂

This spring, at the Adorable Snowman, I ordered two cones with snow caps for my daughter and her friend. Before the CM even handed us the two cones, she said, “Oh no, looks like I forgot to put snow on one. I’ll make you another one.” She winked at me as she handed me the third cone through the window.

A couple years ago, we were heading up the stairs at the Main Street station to take the train around the park just as the fireworks began. My daughter took sooooooooo long to get up the stairs because she was watching the projections. We’ve never been able to watch the fireworks from Main Street. My daughter just can’t handle the crowds and the anxiety of waiting, and my husband has PTSD so we usually steer clear of the heavily crowded places during fireworks when we are with him. A CM at the top of the stairs waved us over and had us stand against the front of the building. While he kept people from stopping to watch the fireworks, he proceeded to tell us all about what we would see on our train ride around the park. I couldn’t really hear what he was saying because of the fireworks, and every time he paused to tell other guests to keep moving, I said, “Thank you” and tried to move with the other guests. Every time I tried to leave, he’d say, “But wait, there’s more!” and continue talking. It took him the entire length of the fireworks show to tell us all about the train ride. It wasn’t until we were sitting on the train that I realized he probably kept us there so my daughter could watch the fireworks.

The good farrrrr outweighs the bad. That's my experience.
I think whatever attitude you go in with is exactly what you will experience. We all know people who have negative experiences all the time. "Can you believe....?"
and yes, I can. Some people just have a karma or an energy that brings that type of interaction. They are unaware of it, but it's there

My favorite is overhearing staff talking smack about a coworker or their supervisor. That's happened a few times and I crack up. It's terrible, they should be more discreet because it happens in every workplace but dang.....if I'm hearing that so and so is getting preferential treatment or Boss Lady is incompetent, that's not good.

As a person that did a brief stint in food and retail, I am nice to everyone that waits on me in this capacity. I even thank the TSA agents at the airport and the security at Disney. They are just doing their job and sometimes they have bad days, too.

Last trip (earlier this year) I wished the front gate CM at DCA a nice day, as we were entering for EMH and he was clearly dealing with some frustrated guests who didn't understand why they couldn't get in yet. (I actually heard "I want to talk to the manager!") He smiled, laughed and joked, "Want to switch places?" They do encounter a lot of misunderstanding and feelings of entitlement from guests. You get out of your experience what you put in, so even if frustrated, be kind. You know the old saying, "You catch more flies with honey..."

My DD and I have experienced a ton of PD. My DD is courteous and respectful of others and is always saying "Thank you!" to them. CMs in turn are always nice to her.

The latest PD that totally stands out was our last visit at Christmastime. My DD has some visual spatial/perceptual problems and many times she can't "see." This means we try hard to accommodate her in sitting up front and center to eliminate as much visual "clutter" between her and what she is watching. Her main Christmas gift was the dining package at BB for F! We had the lunch and got the first showing. She was thrilled with the gift and was totally looking forward to being able to see it. When it came time to line up, we arrived a little ahead of schedule so we were sure to be among the first in line. We had timed it just right because there were just 2 people in front of us. We started talking to the CM and to them. My DD told them about this being a gift and never being able to see F! before. The CM really took to my DD and was talking to her about Jack Sparrow and the show. Well, much to our dismay, the people in front of us grew to include around 15 others. The CM was really nice to my DD and took her by the hand and said to me, "Follow Me." He took us down to the front, right by the railing and directly in the center. He did this before anyone else was able to be let into the area. My DD knows that Jack Sparrow looked right at her as he swung out of the Black Pearl. She probably wouldn't have been able to experience this or see him had it not been for that wonderful CM.

As a person that did a brief stint in food and retail, I am nice to everyone that waits on me in this capacity. I even thank the TSA agents at the airport and the security at Disney. They are just doing their job and sometimes they have bad days, too.

I worked at my family's retail store starting at the age of 10 and also worked a couple years at a movie theater, so I always go out of my way to be courteous, friendly, etc to people working with the public, since I know how people can be. It's amazing how just greeting them before asking your question can make a difference. Or when they ask how your day is going, respond and then ask how theirs is. I always thank the security CMs as we walk through. And if I've witnessed the person in front of me being a rude jerk, I'll be extra super nice and understanding to the employee.

I mean I feel like its just a different culture at DL. I frequent DL and WDW and I find the DL cast members to be more casual? Is that the right word? They aren't rude but I feel like it is more of a job to them where as (in my head this makes sense) WDW is more of a vacation destination so things are a little more "by the book" and cast members since most geusts are on once in a life time sort of trips.

We had some negative experiences with CMs at WDW last summer. It was disappointing. I even tried to engage a Jungle Cruise CM in merry conversation (he was working the queue & shuttling people in the right direction). That CM was pretty grumpy. But I chocked it up to he was having to stand there in the June Florida sun and deal with probably grumpy park guests all morning long. And that would make me pretty moody, too, I think.

The CM who checked us in to our on site hotel was super grumpy. I even told him that it was our first visit, asked him if we could get first visit buttons...he said to go to the parks for that. Asked him for a hotel map and he grunted, "I guess." And this wasn't a college program person either.

I'm really sorry to hear that you had such bad experiences! We actually had very positive experiences with the CMs we encountered last weekend at DL (and Downtown Disney). My daughter was both a first time visitor and it was her birthday, and multiple people- some of which were just other guests!- went out of their way to make that experience magic for her. Many pixie dust moments! If anything, I thought that the general customer service was much better this trip than I remembered from years ago. I will say though- when the park got especially crowded toward the end of our trip, I noticed many CMs were kind of in 'survival mode'. But that is understandable to me. They weren't rude, just very focused.

I mean I feel like its just a different culture at DL. I frequent DL and WDW and I find the DL cast members to be more casual? Is that the right word? They aren't rude but I feel like it is more of a job to them where as (in my head this makes sense) WDW is more of a vacation destination so things are a little more "by the book" and cast members since most geusts are on once in a life time sort of trips.

I think you nailed it, I go to WDW frequently and have been to DL a few times recently with 2 more trips planned before January. The CM's ARE more "casual" I have noticed that they do talk to each other more and are much more laid back, than at WDW. They even get to sit down more compared to WDW. Sitting while running rides, or taking orders at Quick Service or in a store, that's amazing compared to WDW. I don't think it's worse or better at either, just a different approach and as I said before, we need to remember they are real people and we as guests should treat them well too.

I think you nailed it, I go to WDW frequently and have been to DL a few times recently with 2 more trips planned before January. The CM's ARE more "casual" I have noticed that they do talk to each other more and are much more laid back, than at WDW. They even get to sit down more compared to WDW. Sitting while running rides, or taking orders at Quick Service or in a store, that's amazing compared to WDW. I don't think it's worse or better at either, just a different approach and as I said before, we need to remember they are real people and we as guests should treat them well too.
I really wish more people in retail/customer service would be able to sit down. As long as they're still doing their job and not neglecting their duties, people should be able to be off their feet. Having to stand for 8-10+ hours a day is brutal and really does a number on your body. I just worked a 9 hour shift on my feet running around all day and I'm pretty sure I got in 15k steps, with only a half an hour lunch, and I laid down in the office so I could stretch out and give my back a break. If it will make them happier, please give them chairs to sit on!

Why do people get so upset when CMs are chatting about "non work" stuff? Flirting? God forbid! Come on, seriously? Have you never worked a customer facing job? I worked for several years at a retail store as a customer associate and later, assistant manager. We had a great crew and we talked about non work stuff all the time.

It feels socially uncomfortable for me to experience this as an outsider and I think why it is generally considered to be culturally rude in the US. But maybe times are changing.

I think the general culture in America is what has changed. People today have a far different standard of social norms than when I was a kid, and when I was a kid, it was far different from my parents' generation. I just think we (collectively, as a society) have, well, deteriorated somewhat when it comes to polite interaction. I like some of the changes, but I do miss the days when people weren't ready to shout cuss words at you at the drop of a hat. I know I sound like an old lady, but it makes me sad when my daughter (who is a CM) tells me how parents scream at her and call her a profanity because it's time for the character's break and their child doesn't get to meet them. If you grow up thinking that's normal behavior, it isn't surprising to see that there are people across the board, whether CMs or park-goers, who do and say things that people like me find a little shocking.

I have always experienced good customer service from Disney with the exception of a server at the bar inside the Paradise Pier hotel. I work in customer service and it is not easy. I’ve experienced more rudeness from other guests at Disneyland than cast members.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter