Current Magical Beginnings promotion with Direct

Well I spoke with my guide about splitting into 75/75 as suggested, but she said since this was my son’s first contract, if we ever sold one of the 75 points, then he would no longer have a blue card because he wouldn’t have 150 direct points anymore. I already have another 175 points of my own without him so this would affect him only. So we just did 150 so he would always have his blue card. In the future if we add on, we will definitely do smaller contracts.

On a positive note… we just signed all the papers for VGF. Requested an August UY or September as a second option. We were encouraged us to take June since it was available, but I insisted that it was going to be August or September we would not buy it. My son wanted a Fall UY only so she said she had to get approval. Within 30 min she called back and said it was approved. I’m so excited for more points for me, and for my son to have his own points also! I never expected to be adding on a second contract within 1 year of buying my first one.
Just wait until you add on your 3rd!

They would be selling back 2022 points with $0 in dues to pay. They would get all of their 2023 points to use with only prorated dues to pay on those points. I would be selling back 2023 points and paying prorated dues on those points that I’m not going to be able to use.

The first part of this is what I experienced when buying AKV direct last month with June UY. They took the 2022 ("prior year") points for MB and just got a bill for prorated 2023 dues. MB checks arrived even before the credit card bill was due!

Now if I want to add VGF with June (or potentially March) UY, I get that they would take the 2023 points for MB. But it sounds like I would still owe prorated dues on those 2023 points? For some reason my intuition would have been that 2023 would count as "prior year" and we'd just owe full year dues on 2024 points. I guess they just look at the month/year of the actual sale for dues purposes?

Is there a really big advantage to purchasing two 75 point contracts instead of one 150 points contract? I don't intend to sell, but if ever I decide to, would the selling price difference be worth it to split the contract? This is for VGF.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think so...I bought 200 points at AKL and 200 points at VDH and spilt each into four 50 point contracts. I had to pay extra in closing costs, but it provides options to downsize or gift to my children (I have four so it makes the math easy).

But it sounds like I would still owe prorated dues on those 2023 points? For some reason my intuition would have been that 2023 would count as "prior year" and we'd just owe full year dues on 2024 points. I guess they just look at the month/year of the actual sale for dues purposes?

Yes, you still owe prorated 2023 dues. DVC point usage may have different UYs, but Uncle Sam's tax schedule does not. Whether Feb 2023 or Dec 2023, theyre all still 2023 with the dues prepaid in Jan 2023.

You don't have to pay prorated dues on 2022 points today because those were paid for by Disney (or whomever else owned them if ROFRd) in January 2022 and now that fiscal year has been closed and has long since been in the rearview mirror since Dec 31, 2022.

Is there a really big advantage to purchasing two 75 point contracts instead of one 150 points contract? I don't intend to sell, but if ever I decide to, would the selling price difference be worth it to split the contract? This is for VGF.

Smaller point contracts typically fetch a higher value when being sold. You also increase the pool of potential buyers when selling a smaller point contract. For example if selling a 200 GFV point contract at ~$150 pp you have to find someone who is willing to pay ~$30k for your contract. Whereas with a 75 point contract it’s much easier to find someone who has a ~$11,250 budget or is just adding on to their existing membership.

So IMO yes there is an advantage.

Disney charges a $250 document fee for each contract they issue. I’m of the opinion you easily get that $250 back in the price premium when you sell if it’s under 100 points.

The first part of this is what I experienced when buying AKV direct last month with June UY. They took the 2022 ("prior year") points for MB and just got a bill for prorated 2023 dues. MB checks arrived even before the credit card bill was due!

Now if I want to add VGF with June (or potentially March) UY, I get that they would take the 2023 points for MB. But it sounds like I would still owe prorated dues on those 2023 points? For some reason my intuition would have been that 2023 would count as "prior year" and we'd just owe full year dues on 2024 points. I guess they just look at the month/year of the actual sale for dues purposes?

Dues are based on calendar year and not UY...they pay for the operation of the resort. If you bought in May 2023, you became an owner in May 2023, and owe dues from that date until the rest of 2023. Whether you are someone in your 2022 UY or 2023 UY at that point plays no role.

If you add on VGF today, your 2023 dues would be prorated from now until the end of the year. Taking advantage of the MB program doesn't change what one owes for dues.

Yes. This is from an email I received on May 10 from Chase:

Break up purchases over $100 into equal monthly payments.1 Enjoy no interest plus $0 plan fees on the first My Chase Plan® you create by June 30, 2023.

However, the small print says ineligible purchases include "purchases made under a separate promotion or special finance program." I'm wondering if a DVC purchase doesn't count because you automatically get 0% interest for 6 months?
I just called Chase to ask about this. They said Disney purchases would NOT be eligible for the first My Chase Plan offer because they already get the 0% interest for 6 months.

I just called Chase to ask about this. They said Disney purchases would NOT be eligible for the first My Chase Plan offer because they already get the 0% interest for 6 months.
Yeah, none of my installment payment charges (30/60/90 days) has the option next to it to put it on that plan option when I look at them online.

This is why I used another Chase card, and it does have the option for me.

I ended up using delta Amex reserve because they had more comps and noticed they have a similar offer for zero interest zero fee offer thru July on plan it travel purchases. The fine print says time shares are excluded but it’s saying my dvc purchase is eligible. I walked it through everything except finalizing because i don’t carry a balance on the card.

FYI I used the Chase Plan It on a big purchase last year; a few months in, a fraudulent charge showed up on my card and I had to have the card cancelled/reissued with a new number. The whole Plan It balance became due immediately. I didn't try to call and fight that, I just paid it off.

Using the Plan It to spread out payment is a great idea but I wouldn't use it if I didn't have the funds to cover the whole thing just in case.

FYI I used the Chase Plan It on a big purchase last year; a few months in, a fraudulent charge showed up on my card and I had to have the card cancelled/reissued with a new number. The whole Plan It balance became due immediately. I didn't try to call and fight that, I just paid it off.

Using the Plan It to spread out payment is a great idea but I wouldn't use it if I didn't have the funds to cover the whole thing just in case.
I think that's awful! If I got an email from Chase in May about this, I don't have it any longer. I called Chase, and they are apparently completely unable to tell me if I have that offer on any of the 8 Chase cards my husband and I have, so I'm now reluctant to try this. On a couple of cards there are purchases large enough that I can go through the process to set up a My Chase Plan and it gives me options up to 18 months wit no fees or interest, but the Chase agents can't guarantee I'd have that offer on any new purchases. My other cards don't currently have any purchases large enough to be eligible to set up a plan. We could always put it on the Disney Visa for the standard 6 months and pay it in that time frame, but if I had 18 or 24 months to keep my money earning interest, I would certainly prefer it!

I think that's awful! If I got an email from Chase in May about this, I don't have it any longer. I called Chase, and they are apparently completely unable to tell me if I have that offer on any of the 8 Chase cards my husband and I have, so I'm now reluctant to try this. On a couple of cards there are purchases large enough that I can go through the process to set up a My Chase Plan and it gives me options up to 18 months wit no fees or interest, but the Chase agents can't guarantee I'd have that offer on any new purchases. My other cards don't currently have any purchases large enough to be eligible to set up a plan. We could always put it on the Disney Visa for the standard 6 months and pay it in that time frame, but if I had 18 or 24 months to keep my money earning interest, I would certainly prefer it!

The My Chase Plan (no fees) offer is good through June 30, so a DVC purchase (or anything more than $100) would count if the charge is made by June 30 (other than a DVC purchase on a Disney Visa).

I just added on 150 points, but my son is on the contract with me and he’s a new member, would he qualify for a special Welcome Home trip with MS? He wants to go in September, but it’s pretty much booked up already.

I just added on 150 points, but my son is on the contract with me and he’s a new member, would he qualify for a special Welcome Home trip with MS? He wants to go in September, but it’s pretty much booked up already.

When we added on our adult kids as new owners, they were not eligible since I was a joint owner.

Never hurts to try.

When does DVC take the points out of your account if you took advantage of the Magical Beginnings promotion? Is it after closing (if I pushed my second payment out by a month)?

I signed last week but the current UY points are still sitting in my dashboard. I'm too nervous to try to book anything, as I'm assuming these ear-marked points will be used before I get a chance to borrow.

When does DVC take the points out of your account if you took advantage of the Magical Beginnings promotion? Is it after closing (if I pushed my second payment out by a month)?

I signed last week but the current UY points are still sitting in my dashboard. I'm too nervous to try to book anything, as I'm assuming these ear-marked points will be used before I get a chance to borrow.
It took a few days for my '22 points to vanish due to MB. But I won't get the check for them until a few weeks after my 30/60/90 payments are all completed.

It took a few days for my '22 points to vanish due to MB. But I won't get the check for them until a few weeks after my 30/60/90 payments are all completed.

I was just going to ask the same questions. I hate seeing the 2022 in my account. Cant wait for them to pull them.
I am also doing the 30/60/90 day schedule so I’m happy I don’t have to wait until after the last payment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter