Currency for Tips

lds0191

DISNERDS
We will be on the WBTA next week and we have prepaid gratuities but I would like to add a little cash to each cast members envelope. We have ordered some foreign currency for our trip and I was wondering if we have leftover Euros, etc., would it be ok to add non US currency to the tip envelopes? This may be a dumb question but we have always sailed out of US ports and used US dollars. Thanks in advance for your help!

Someone on another board was just saying DCL is discouraging cash tips to CMs? (Preferring instead for guests to add additional tip via their onboard accounts?) Has anyone experienced this?

Personally, if I am adding cash to the tip envelopes, I put in a currency that they will be able to spend at the destination they will be in after the cruise. (In most cases, since they don't need a lot of on hand cash, I actually just increase the tip through the onboard charge; I figure onhand cash is for their shopping trips or quick meals off ship - in NY Euros aren't going to get them far). If the cash isn't usable in the destination they will be in, you are just shifting the burden of changing currency from you to them (and it always costs something to convert money from one currency to another). I wouldn't do it - but if it was a choice between Euros and no extra tip, then Euros would be preferable.

The westbound transatlantic means The Magic has finished the summer season in Europe. Therefore the CMs wont be able to spend Euros as they will either be getting off the ship and staying in USA or going back to their home country or staying on the ship and doing the next cruise to Bermuda.

If you give them Euros they will have to go to a currency exchange, either on the ship or on shore in New York and they will have to pay conversion fees to change back to US Dollars.

I would think US funds will be best after this cruise, they will be doing Bermuda and Bahama cruises out of NYC for a couple months.

Whatever currency you tip in, they can go to crew office/financial and just have it added to their pay check or on board account. No extra cost to them, just a few minutes of their time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter