Crying Puppy

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
We got a puppy this weekend! It was planned, and we were prepared for him to come home (not an impulse decision).

I haven’t had a puppy in many years. Is it normal for him to cry when he is confined somewhere and we walk away from him? Whether it is his crate (which we have turned in to a safe haven for him with a divider, soft bed, toys, clothes that smell like us) of just closing the baby gate in the family room, he cries of you walk away. He’s 8 weeks old BTW. Just trying to figure out if it is normal or if he going to be an anxious dog.

Yes, normal. We have two puppies, now 7 months old. We got them when they were 8 weeks. They did that for a while, but stopped pretty quick. Doesn't mean yours will, but it does happen.

When I was a kid we had a dog that cried all day when we left the house. I'm not sure what she would've done in that situation, when we were home she was allowed wherever we were. Eventually when we found out from the neighbors we looked into getting a second dog and it stopped. She wasn't an anxious dog just didn't like to be alone.

He was just taken away from the security of his Mommy, home and siblings - all he’s ever known! Of course he’s going to cry!! It is completely normal! Now the question becomes, what to do about it, if anything. Be sure not to coddle him if he’s crying or he learns that there is something to be fearful of; just act happy, like nothing is wrong.

We keep a new puppy’s crate in our bedroom, and voila, no more crying. It’s also important to your training to tucker him out a bit during the day so he sleeps well at night, and also to take him out for potty every few hours so he doesn’t “go” in the crate - but don’t take him out when he’s crying (or he learns that crying gets him out and it will increase if you do it). You can increase the time overnight spent in the crate without being taken out, incrementally, and eventually you won’t need the crate at all. Is there a reason you don’t want him near you at night, as a baby?

P.S. I expect that bedroom sleeping may/will get some negative commentary here. All I can say to that is that I first learned about it from the classic book The Art of Raising a Puppy by The Monks of New Skete, and I’ve continued the practice with four puppies since then all with excellent results. YMMV

My puppy is 9 weeks old. She cried a lot when we first brought her home but is getting better. Most of the time now if she is in her crate, she cries when she has to potty. It will take time for him to adjust, but he will get there! This is my baby.

upload_2019-3-13_22-49-44.jpeg

When we brought our corgi home she wailed all night. Second night, I three a comforter over her crate. Left the front mostly uncovered. With fewer distractions she settled right down.

I have been blessed with many wonderful dogs in my life, but they all started out as crying little puppies. Once they are grown, you forget how bad the crying is until you get another puppy (just like kids)!

I found that usually, the first night, there was crying, but it wasn't for hours, since the dog was still partially shocked at being in a new situation. Night two was worse, and night three was the absolute worst! Then, it would start getting better. After a week, the puppy will be more settled and sure of what comes next (crate at night, house is quiet, when the humans wake up puppy goes out and then family time, at least that's how we did it). Routine is most important! I know it is hard, and your heart breaks listening to the puppy cry, but you must have a routine because that will create security and make it all a smoother transition.

If possible, put something in the crate with the scent of the human that the puppy seems most drawn to. If it is an "I love everyone" puppy, then just rub a cloth on everyone and put it in the crate.

I once had a German Shepherd that was not the normal, confident Shepherd. She came from a bad situation, and was frightened of everything and everyone. Her first few nights with us were awful for her and us. On night 4, I brought down the laundry to do the next morning, and she pulled out a pajama of mine from the dirty laundry and took it into her crate. She slept the whole night, not even a whimper. That pajama became her security blanket for the rest of her life.

Every so often I would wash it, and then rub it on my arms and legs so my scent would be on it again. After many years, the pajama became threadbare and just looked like a piece of fabric with holes, but she still always had it nearby and slept with it during every nap. When my girl passed on, we buried her with the pajama because, well, we are sappy people I guess.

So, if you can find something the puppy is drawn to, bedtime might get easier. Otherwise, time, and lots of love and patience. Good luck!

We got a puppy this weekend! It was planned, and we were prepared for him to come home (not an impulse decision).

I haven’t had a puppy in many years. Is it normal for him to cry when he is confined somewhere and we walk away from him? Whether it is his crate (which we have turned in to a safe haven for him with a divider, soft bed, toys, clothes that smell like us) of just closing the baby gate in the family room, he cries of you walk away. He’s 8 weeks old BTW. Just trying to figure out if it is normal or if he going to be an anxious dog.
Perfectly normal.

However, if it does not stop in a few days, contact your breeder for suggestions. That is what a good breeder is for, to help their new puppy owners get established.

As others have said it’s normal. It doesn’t have its mommy anymore or brothers and sisters. He will be fine just give him time and lots of love.
Lots of love yes.

But a caveat, do NOT give a lot of love when the puppy is crying because it does not want to do something. You will actually be reinforcing the bad behavior. So, if you crate the puppy and it starts whining, don't even try to talk to the puppy to reassure it. Put the puppy in the crate and ignore. Stay in the room for reassurance, but ignore the crying. No, "it's ok puppy" or petting through the crate, or the worst, letting the puppy out of the crate for some cuddles.

Leave the puppy in there till he stops whining. Then you can let them out. You are now reinforcing quiet, relaxed behavior.

That said, make sure the puppy is pottied, fed, and watered before you put it in the crate. You don't want crying because it actually needs something.

Lots of love yes.

But a caveat, do NOT give a lot of love when the puppy is crying because it does not want to do something. You will actually be reinforcing the bad behavior. So, if you crate the puppy and it starts whining, don't even try to talk to the puppy to reassure it. Put the puppy in the crate and ignore. Stay in the room for reassurance, but ignore the crying. No, "it's ok puppy" or petting through the crate, or the worst, letting the puppy out of the crate for some cuddles.

Leave the puppy in there till he stops whining. Then you can let them out. You are now reinforcing quiet, relaxed behavior.

That said, make sure the puppy is pottied, fed, and watered before you put it in the crate. You don't want crying because it actually needs something.
That is one of the problems we are having - determining the potty cry versus lonely cry. Sometime he will need to potty 2 or 3 times in an hour.

That is one of the problems we are having - determining the potty cry versus lonely cry. Sometime he will need to potty 2 or 3 times in an hour.
Granted, idk what kind of dog he is, but many puppies have a bladder roughly the size of a grape (could be a little smaller, could be a little larger), so it doesn't hold much, but that seems a little extreme. Puppies will usually go shortly after they eat so capitalize on that. Otherwise, try to take him outside frequently, and heap on the praise when he goes. As time goes on, you can increase the time in the crate without his having to go.

I suggest you order a book called My Smart Puppy, which will help you navigate some of this stuff.
The authors are excellent, and it also comes with a DVD, which is helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Smart-Pup...ocphy=9001958&hvtargid=pla-451778281358&psc=1

I would also pick up Good Owners, Great Dogs from the same authors, which will help you with other things as he matures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter