Cruise ship overwhelmed after more than a hundred test positive for COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right- just like a cold, the flu or a gazillion other things.. They should just make a waiver. "I understand that many diseases and viruses are communicable and I may catch one on this trip"
The difference is the substantially higher hospitalization and fatality rate, of course. Cruise ships don't have the medical facilities to handle large numbers of cases, especially if they're severe cases.

Right- just like a cold, the flu or a gazillion other things.. They should just make a waiver. "I understand that many diseases and viruses are communicable and I may catch one on this trip"
yep. That's what I've been saying since March of 2020. At this point they should give up the charade of the Covid testing and just ask people to test for antibodies before cruising if they really want to prevent cases/spread on the ships.

The difference is the substantially higher hospitalization and fatality rate, of course. Cruise ships don't have the medical facilities to handle large numbers of cases, especially if they're severe cases.
99.99% of cases at your local hospital are not handled, they send you home and tell ya to take Nyquil.

I would be surprised if there was no covid on a cruise ship. It is everywhere and you can catch it anywhere. Tests don’t always catch it. You can be negative when you take your test before boarding and have symptoms show up that night.

Traveling is just risky right now. We are ok with the risk - booked a Disney cruise for July last week.
It's always been that way. I think every trip I have taken since a kid, I have come home with a summer cold.

Let's not start arguing about "science" and numbers or else the thread will get locked. I know how full my local hospitals have been since March, 2020. I also know that cruise ship medical facilities aren't capable of handling an outbreak of pretty much anything.

99.99% of cases at your local hospital are not handled, they send you home and tell ya to take Nyquil.
This is definitely not true and I say that as someone who is suffering through Covid right now and has been in touch with my doctor the whole time. Fever 5+ days automatic hospitalization. Paxlovid is prescribed if you're before day 5 of symptoms to try to help mitigate.

Let's not start arguing about "science" and numbers or else the thread will get locked. I know how full my local hospitals have been since March, 2020. I also know that cruise ship medical facilities aren't capable of handling an outbreak of pretty much anything.
Additionally, on cruise ships (and speaks to the Carnival situation referenced in the initial post), a big issue is the capacity to handle larger outbreaks of illness that necessitate passengers to stay in their rooms which increases room service needs, changes in meal planning, changes in housekeeping, etc.

Most people who test positive for Covid don't make a beeline for the hospital. If you are sent to the hospital by your doctor they aren't sending you home with NyQuil.

Does Carnival test at the port like Disney does?

Sounds like they do.

TESTING REQUIREMENTS (UPDATED 05/04/22)​

Except where destination requirements differ*, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible. Example: If the sailing is on Saturday, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test as early as Wednesday and as late as Saturday, if guaranteed to receive results in time for check-in.
If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two days prior to sailing. A fully vaccinated guest who is not up to date with their vaccines may take their test no earlier than Thursday and as late as Saturday.
Fully vaccinated guests traveling to Canada, including those who are up to date with their vaccines, must take either a PCR test between 72 and 24 hours prior to sailing, or an antigen pre-cruise test no earlier than two days prior to sailing, in order to comply with Canadian regulations.
* BERMUDA AND CANADA: Fully vaccinated guests traveling to Bermuda and Canada, including those who are up to date with their vaccines, can take either a PCR test between 72 and 24 hours prior to sailing, or an antigen pre-cruise test no earlier than two days prior to sailing, in order to comply with CDC and destination regulations.

Guests should review their pre-cruise test results, i.e., a laboratory test record, digital certificate or healthcare record, and ensure it indicates their full legal name, date of birth, type of test, date and time sample was taken, test result stating “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED” and laboratory, testing site, and/or healthcare provider details. Handwritten test results are not acceptable. Please refer to our COVID-19 FAQs for complete information on testing requirements and resources.
Vaccinated guests traveling on back-to-back cruises may need to be tested in between voyages.
Proof of vaccination, as follows, will be required at the terminal in advance of boarding:
  • Original vaccination record issued by the country’s health authority (i.e., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card). A digital COVID-19 Certificate (QR code acceptable), a record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider (original digital email accepted), and a personal electronic health record or government Immunization Information System record is also acceptable. Copies or photos are not accepted.
  • The name and birth date on the vaccination record must match the guest’s travel documents.
  • The vaccination dates must indicate the guest has completed the required doses no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date (not including embarkation day). Vaccine type, dates administered, and lot numbers must be clearly visible. When applicable, booster dose must also be reflected on vaccination records.
We recommend guests have the contact information (email and phone) immediately available of the healthcare provider or clinic site that issued the certificate, in order to validate the vaccination if needed. A vaccination registry site may also be used.
Guests are strongly encouraged to review their vaccination records and ensure they meet our standards, as well as have proof of their negative COVID-19 test result, prior to traveling to the cruise terminal to prevent a situation where they may not be able to cruise or be eligible for a refund.

It looks like they test, but it's done differently: "Travelers who have the booster shot can now get a test within 3 days of sailing. Guests who do not have the booster shot will need to test within 2 days of departure. The exception to the testing rule is for anyone sailing who has recovered from COVID-19 in the past 3 months and has proof of recovery from a doctor." per https://www.travelawaits.com/2747856/carnival-cruise-line-vaccine-and-testing-requirements/

This, and people forget people have a choice of what they do also. Someone that is worried or at higher risk doesn't have to cruise or do other riskier activities, just like with everything else in life. I am not saying people need to go around and cough in others faces but there has been and always will be people floating around with no symptoms or so mild they think its allergies or just didn't sleep good that are actually positive for a communicable illness.

Right but COVID is different than current strains of flu/colds and other communicable diseases. I have people that if so get it would not be good / if Vegas would not bet on the 100/1 shot to win lol. They do have a kind of waiver today I’d have COVID not allowed to board and if caught on ship quarantined and contact tracing

Every morning on our recent DCL sailings we would get a message stating if we notice any type of cold or cold symptoms to contact medical. My mom and I were laughing because we can’t imagine anyone who wakes up in the morning with a scratchy throat Or closed nose (yet feeling totally fine) will seek medical attention and ask for a Covid test and risk Being quarantined for those symptoms. I chatted with some others on the boat and the consensus was as long as One is feeling fine- you don’t want to know.

Carnival must’ve been doing a lot of testing to find all those positives. To find a “Outbreak” the ship needs to be doing a lot of screening.

Every morning on our recent DCL sailings we would get a message stating if we notice any type of cold or cold symptoms to contact medical. My mom and I were laughing because we can’t imagine anyone who wakes up in the morning with a scratchy throat Or closed nose (yet feeling totally fine) will seek medical attention and ask for a Covid test and risk Being quarantined for those symptoms. I chatted with some others on the boat and the consensus was as long as One is feeling fine- you don’t want to know.

Carnival must’ve been doing a lot of testing to find all those positives. To find a “Outbreak” the ship needs to be doing a lot of screening.
Perhaps some folks still have a sense of honor and don't want to put others at risk when they don't need to. I posted about a family that self-reported their symptoms and got tested on a Disney cruise not too long ago. It definitely happens. And you do agree that you'll report symptoms when you sign the paperwork to board.

Is Carnival screening randomly? I thought that some people started getting sick, sought out medical and then maybe did some contract tracing or at least simple contact tracing and testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!