Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but the previous reports from various local affiliates indicated that Disney planned to submit on Wednesday. We also went through this last week when Disney was presenting then submitting but not presenting then just waiting. Personally, I'm not putting much stock into any of this, but we'll see.
I don't think you will hear anything til the NBA deal is finalized. Once that's done Disney will have a better idea what the plans are for the resorts.

I don't think you will hear anything til the NBA deal is finalized. Once that's done Disney will have a better idea what the plans are for the resorts.
That could be well into mid June or even later. There’s exactly what’s irritating about the NBA deal. So let’s hope not. I think I could go the rest of my life not hearing NBA again and be perfectly happy.

Here’s the actual quote. If Disney submits tomorrow, there’s no need to put the public presentation off for a week. They’re meeting Wednesday, they could do it then. I would think Disney would make their presentation asap after submitting to avoid the sure to come leaks. When Universal presented, it was clear they had just handed the task force their written proposal right before the meeting.

“Disney has given an indication that next week, they will submit their plans, and once they do, then we will schedule that for a full briefing before our Economic Recovery Task Force as well. So at this point, it’s an undefined time or date, but we do look forward to seeing that sometime next week.”

Rteets said earlier the morning of the Universal presentation that the rumors were that they were opening on June 1st. So I’m sure there will also be leaks for Disney if/when they present

They have a meeting Wednesday, it’s possible to do it all in one day. As slow as Disney has been to do anything, I’m not particularly hopeful, but they could if they wanted to.
I have a hard time seeing them presenting anything until the NBA deal is resolved. Plus, if they're not planning on reopening until at least July (which seems likely at this point), I don't see them in any rush to present. Yes, Disney could do a lot of things. They could have presented last week. I'm not talking what they could do. I'm talking about what I think they likely will do.

ETA: I don't mean to sound harsh. I just don't want to see people get their hopes up to be dashed agin by more delays.

Last edited:
That could be well into mid June or even later. There’s exactly what’s irritating about the NBA deal. So let’s hope not.
I get its frustrating but til the NBA deal goes through they can't do much with resorts as they will need certain ones. They could open DVC to deal with that and open the parks for them to start.

They could easily present their plan with the NBA plan in mind. The worst that happens if they announce their plans and Vegas swoops in and takes the NBA is that Disney would have more rooms to offer for their guests. The NBA will announce officially on June 1st, but by Saturday or Sunday we’ll definitively know the plan

I get its frustrating but til the NBA deal goes through they can't do much with resorts as they will need certain ones. They could open DVC to deal with that and open the parks for them to start.
Yeah, I’m not going down that road. I don’t believe they’re going to hold off an announcement until what could be who knows when in June. Mainly because that’s proof they’re taking our money with absolutely the full knowledge they aren’t going to be open for weeks to come at a minimum. Reports are the NBA could not come to a final decision until late June.

You act as if the NBA saying yes to playing at WWoS would blindside Disney and then theyd have to scramble to make accommodations for the NBA. Anything theyd announce for reopening the parks and resorts on Wednesday (if they do) would have the NBA bubble in mind, even if the NBA winds up choosing Vegas (unlikely). Disney has all of their ducks in a row in regards to the NBA saying Yes. Those decisions are already made up or else they wouldnt have the NBA and the Players Association voting this weekend.

They could easily present their plan with the NBA plan in mind. The worst that happens if they announce their plans and Vegas swoops in and takes the NBA is that Disney would have more rooms to offer for their guests. The NBA will announce officially on June 1st, but by Saturday or Sunday we’ll definitively know the plan
Vegas isn’t an option anymore. The deal is done. It goes to the owners on Friday for their approval. That is a formality. Then it goes to the players. If they don’t approve it there won’t be a resumption of the season.

Anything Disney would present would need to include plans for dealing with the NBA on their property which I’m sure there has been a separate team working on since Bob Iger decided to approach the NBA with his proposal.

Having said that, the NBA will also have their wants in all of this, which is still being discussed with the Players Union, Owners & Board of Governors.

CNN is reporting that if an agreement is reached - play to resume at the end of July.

(the cnn report is about to air again in minutes... I caught it earlier)

You act as if the NBA saying yes to playing at WWoS would blindside Disney and then theyd have to scramble to make accommodations for the NBA. Anything theyd announce for reopening the parks and resorts on Wednesday (if they do) would have the NBA bubble in mind, even if the NBA winds up choosing Vegas (unlikely). Disney has all of their ducks in a row in regards to the NBA saying Yes. Those decisions are already made up or else they wouldnt have the NBA and the Players Association voting this weekend.
Its not blindsiding Disney but when the deal is officially announced then it's a matter of then having to probably move people around to different resorts.

At this point if there is no announcement Wednesday Disney will have some PR issues to deal with i am afraid.

I disagree. I think Disney already has THEIR plan for the NBA to come to WDW. Seems like they have adjusted reservations and are keeping a couple of resorts totally booked to accommodate the plan. Based on that, they should be able to move forward with plans to open the rest of the resort and they can always adjust to reopen CSR and CR if the NBA deal falls through.

At this point, it seems to be a matter of the NBA owners and players association accepting the plan to finish the season at WDW.

However, I can’t imagine that Disney would just keep plans for the entire WDW resort completely up in the air for weeks to allow the NBA to haggle over terms.

You act as if the NBA saying yes to playing at WWoS would blindside Disney and then theyd have to scramble to make accommodations for the NBA.

Agreed- pretty sure Disney knows exactly what their plan is as to how they’d accommodate them. It’s not like they have a shortage of rooms- some having been blocked out for weeks now, others just the other day. There’s no need to delay anything due to whether or not they host them. Not sure why that keeps getting used as an excuse for a delay.

Also, I would hope that by June 1st Disney would have announced that a planned opening date or extended the 7-days before vacation pay in full window. I have a vacation booked with an arrival day of 7/3 and there's no way I'm paying in full 30 days before if I don't have any idea if the parks will be open.

Also, I would hope that by June 1st Disney would have announced that a planned opening date or extended the 7-days before vacation pay in full window. I have a vacation booked with an arrival day of 7/3 and there's no way I'm paying in full 30 days before if I don't have any idea if the parks will be open.
Same exact feeling here. Our payoff date is June 5 for our July 5 arrival.

Same exact feeling here. Our payoff date is June 5 for our July 5 arrival.
Disney has extended the 7-day final payment policy until further notice. Supposedly, IT hasn't "turned off" the automatic reminder email, but they're not canceling reservations unless final payment isn't received less than 7 days prior to check in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter