Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The general public is not sitting on the edge of their seats awaiting a decision by Disney. To think they are going to bow to public pressure to open is absurd. There is not public pressure. Most people not on this thread are not concerned in the least.
There is public pressure from their customers & DVC owners. That should be enough. I know a lot of ppl irl who are very angry with this whole situation.

I don't mind cautious, but as others have mentioned various times in this thread, it's the issues surrounding communication that are troublesome, not the lack of a concrete reopening date.

Granted, I haven't read every message in this thread, but nearly all of the complaints I have read deal with WDW opening timing, either directly (probably 80 percent) or indirectly (CM schedule delayed, etc.).

There’s always one. ;)

Just to clarify, there may be more than one. I’m guessing the majority of stockholders, especially those heavily invested, are more than a bit worried about Disney’s lack of clarity on their approach.
I'm a shareholder and I want a date. More important the big money shareholders are going to brutalize the Bobs if every park in the area is open and Disney is waiting.

I think a big part of the problem with the timing/lack of communication is how much planning Disney makes you do well ahead of your trip. They have made it virtually impossible to have a impromptu vacation over the last several years. If they cancel your reservation 3 weeks out, it is very unlikely to get decent fast passes, ADR’s, etc. if you want to reschedule any time in the next couple months. While I totally understand we are in an unprecedented situation and do not envy Disney having to make these difficult reopening decisions, a lot of the “stress” customers are feeling is due to the hours they have spent planning their vacation and either deciding to try and do it all again or just move on.

I think a big part of the problem with the timing/lack of communication is how much planning Disney makes you do well ahead of your trip. They have made it virtually impossible to have a impromptu vacation over the last several years. If they cancel your reservation 3 weeks out, it is very unlikely to get decent fast passes, ADR’s, etc. if you want to reschedule any time in the next couple months. While I totally understand we are in an unprecedented situation and do not envy Disney having to make these difficult reopening decisions, a lot of the “stress” customers are feeling is due to the hours they have spent planning their vacation and either deciding to try and do it all again or just move on.
Yes, I'd have to think really hard about wanting to go through it all again for later this year. If cancelled for July, I think I'd either do a first ever trip to Universal or go to DLR (if it opens) around Halloween time. Both are basically no or low pre-planning trips. I think I would need that at this point. WDW will be there for next summer...at least we hope so.

Yes, I'd have to think really hard about wanting to go through it all again for later this year. If cancelled for July, I think I'd either do a first ever trip to Universal or go to DLR (if it opens) around Halloween time. Both are basically no or low pre-planning trips. I think I would need that at this point. WDW will be there for next summer...at least we hope so.
If we get cancelled a second time, I do not have the desire to go through all the planning again this year. We’ve been really wanting to go to DLR for Halloween or even Christmas so that may be an option - but we’re not even discussing it until DLR sets a firm reopening date. I’ve had all the waiting and wondering and disappointment I can take. My next reservation for anywhere is going to be a sure thing.

I agree we rescheduled our trip from April to September and having to replan is a pain. I'll just cancel vs rescheduling if this drags on that long.

We also have a July reservation and are considering switching to Universal just to have a sure thing planned. Hoping to see some feedback from people visiting in June to get an idea of wait times or how the virtual lines work before deciding.
I have only been to DLR for a one day park visit while in LA on a work trip. I didn’t realize it does not require the same type of 6 month out planning for a longer stay. That’s good info to know! Thanks!

If Disney World, for the short term, were to go with the Disneyland FP max version of fast passes and drop ADR until a week in advance, would it make the uncertainty better? If you didn’t have to plan until you were sure everything is open to your expectations would it be ok? I admit, the advance planning is one of the things that makes me go to Disney World less than I would otherwise, so I’m already biased.

I am really okay with Disney wanting to do it right with safety. I will be sad because it impacts my rescheduled trip from April - but ok. I don’t think that is where people are upset. People are just upset because Disney isn’t being right about how they are communicating. Disney knows their plan. They haven’t announced it because they don’t want leaks and they know a ton of people will be upset about something and call customer service. However by not communicating a date they clearly know, it makes customers feel less magical regarding Disney. I rented points and I am at mercy for late June date. I know I may lose out on a lot of money. But for me it’s just the need of closure. If we are able to reschedule for next March (don’t know the rules for their contact) - great. Otherwise I lose out and I am not sure if I’ll be back. I always felt taken care of by Disney when I’ve visited. I know they are a business and they have to look at financials- however I think they lost some of their wonderful personal touches and magic with the public. I know people are going to tell me to suck it up. It’s just my opinion.

I am really okay with Disney wanting to do it right with safety. I will be sad because it impacts my rescheduled trip from April - but ok. I don’t think that is where people are upset. People are just upset because Disney isn’t being right about how they are communicating. Disney knows their plan. They haven’t announced it because they don’t want leaks and they know a ton of people will be upset about something and call customer service. However by not communicating a date they clearly know, it makes customers feel less magical regarding Disney. I rented points and I am at mercy for late June date. I know I may lose out on a lot of money. But for me it’s just the need of closure. If we are able to reschedule for next March (don’t know the rules for their contact) - great. Otherwise I lose out and I am not sure if I’ll be back. I always felt taken care of by Disney when I’ve visited. I know they are a business and they have to look at financials- however I think they lost some of their wonderful personal touches and magic with the public. I know people are going to tell me to suck it up. It’s just my opinion.
Exactly. Plus, they've made some really poor decisions that look terrible for the company -- like the recovery free dining offer. It was cool of them to offer, but now that there are people that rescheduled with it getting canceled, Disney isn't even allowing them to change to different dates that were in the original promo. That looks terrible. And yes, we're in "unprecedented times," but that's not great guest recovery or customer service. Certainly not up to the standards Disney has set for themselves over the years.

The general public is not sitting on the edge of their seats awaiting a decision by Disney. To think they are going to bow to public pressure to open is absurd. There is not public pressure. Most people not on this thread are not concerned in the least.
To open no, to announce what they're going to do or a time period that they know theu won't be open, or an opening date...would be considerate. The stringing ppl along week by week is the part ppl. are fed up with.

Also, I would hope that by June 1st Disney would have announced that a planned opening date or extended the 7-days before vacation pay in full window. I have a vacation booked with an arrival day of 7/3 and there's no way I'm paying in full 30 days before if I don't have any idea if the parks will be open.
Same exact feeling here. Our payoff date is June 5 for our July 5 arrival.
Really? The only info I can find is that this was only offered until June 30th.

From DTA:

"To provide additional flexibility, we are waiving Disney-imposed change and cancellation fees up to the date of check-in for reservations with arrivals through June 30."

In addition:
"Effective March 15, 2020, until further notice, we’re making a temporary adjustment to our final payment policy for Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort packages booked through Walt Disney Travel Company. For existing bookings, final payment to WDTC will now be due 7 days prior to Guest arrival."

The policies somewhat contradict each other as you head into July payments as, though you have until 7 days prior to PIF, the 30-day cancellation seems to kick back in for check-ins starting July 1. WDW definitely needs to either make an announcement or get these policies to jive again by the end of this month.

Not all shareholders. This shareholder is pleased with their wait and see approach during an unprecedented pandemic. This shareholder is very concerned about them opening too early, the long term effects of an outbreak in the parks, etc.
Ok not all. Most. I should have clarified that
There’s always one. ;)

Just to clarify, there may be more than one. I’m guessing the majority of stockholders, especially those heavily invested, are more than a bit worried about Disney’s lack of clarity on their approach.

Another stockholder here. Just speculating (and, it's my own personal opinion), most stockholders are looking at Disney as a whole company and aren't just laser-focused on the parks. IMHO, Disney needs to be looking at ways to ramp up revenue in the areas of the company that do not rely on massive amounts of people crammed together in one space - that's why this NBA deal is so attractive to me. I thought the sing-a-longs were fantastic. Releasing Onward onto Disney+, releasing Hamilton early. I, personally, don't want the parks to open quickly, I want them to open correctly. I'm looking at long term company and brand survival. When Chapek said they wouldn't open unless they were sure they could be profitable - I applauded that decision. They can't open for the sake of opening. That certainly doesn't mean I think the parks division has communicated well through all of this. The guest recovery promo was a disaster in more ways than one and all we are getting now is ambiguities wrapped in legalese. Would I like them to make some sort of more concrete announcement? Sure! Does that mean I want them to open at the heels of Uni? Not if it doesn't make financial sense for Disney.

I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt, but at this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was true. The longer they put off an announcement, the harder it us to believe it’s not exactly what they’re doing. It’s no small amount of money. I have thousands tied up in various reservation deposit. Multiply mine by thousands of other people and we’re talking a great deal of cash, interest free.

Yes the cancellation refunds are alot of money. Think about how large the hotels are at Disney. Each week shows on their cash, the resorts are massive even if not full. It's a horrible customer experience but Disney needs the cash right now so you cannot blame them.

It stinks, but its in Disney's best interest (pun intended) to hold onto the money longer. They are burning cash at a crazy rate this quarter(we all know Q3 earnings call will see huge debt increases and cash much lower. Helps to delay them using the loans they have qued up by holding onto this money longer. I admit its a terrible customer experience, but its not really unexpected for a company. Disney knows this is a weird time and even if you visit it will be very different in 2020, no questions on that.

Question really is at what capacity does Disney need to fill the parks while also meeting these new additional labor intensive requirements. More staff per park go-er is a given. They wouldn't answer on the last earnings call and 2 people asked what capacity is needed to actually make a profit. I am sure its different for each park, waterpark, hotel etc Disney also has to decide what they can safely open and then also what things will actually make money to open. Bob said they won't open anything just to open it, has to be able to make money.

Since other parks are open or planned to be open such as Universal, Lagoon in Utah, Efteling, I think it's safe to say that WDW will open pretty soon.

Zoos in Utah have been open for a while, Mount Rushmore hasn't closed throughout all this and Rapids City and Deadwood welcome tourist to come stay in hotels and gamble.

I can't see why other parks/attractions would justify not opening. Just my observations.

Thanks for sharing. WDW is going to need a bazillion gallons of that spray.... and hand sanitizer... seems like even those logistics are overwhelming.

Couldn’t Disney Submit/Present a plan with an August opening date? I mean just because they submit a plan, the opening date doesn’t have to be a week or two out right? In theory anyway.
Correct, Disney doesn’t have to submit a plan where they open in a couple weeks. They just need to put an opening date in the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter