Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something else that's distinct for FW is that like in the one bedroom and larger DVC spaces, the Cabins have their own kitchens, and RV campers do as well. This limits demands on TS and QS dining...
But, the family suites at AOA also offer this (at least as well as a DVC studio), but haven’t been utilized. I do agree rooms with some in-room meal prep options would be smart to open while dining options are limited!

But, the family suites at AOA also offer this (at least as well as a DVC studio), but haven’t been utilized. I do agree rooms with some in-room meal prep options would be smart to open while dining options are limited!

This. Plus this is the resort we booked at and want to stay. I wouldn’t turn down anything offered but the kids chose AOA specifically.

I think going forward we are going to be looking at a smaller CP and international worker program. I don't think the pandemic is the only reason for this.
I sure hope so. Disney was a major local employer and that has gone down with the CP. I´m not sure on the details on Flamingo Crossing )how many people it houses= but having Disney build that brand new, I´m not sure if it will hold the same amount as the other 3 building did

I don’t think there will ever be a smaller CP program. They get to have a ton of staff for basically free with that program. That’s a major reason we’re seeing such drastic cuts to things resort wide because they don’t have that large, basically pay free, workforce to staff everything.
First off it isn't free. The housing cost money and that cost is going to only accelerate going forward with changes brought on from COVID.

Second, the feeling out there that Disney is getting this work for basically free is creating a bad PR situation for Disney down the road. It is only a matter of time before activist groups and groups of CPs start demanding $15 an hour. That is a rate that would make the college program participants far more expensive than unionized cast members.

Third, Disney learned an important lesson right before the shutdown of WDW. They can't count on the CP workers to be there to staff the parks. The reason why Disney shutdown the program before the parks closed is because multiple schools recalled their participants. That had to make Disney realize they can't have such a large part of their workforce reliant on the whims of our colleges and universities. All it would take cripple Disney's operations at WDW going forward is activist groups successfully pressuring schools across the country to recall their participants because of what they determine to be unfair pay or working conditions.

Did anyone really think Disney was going to open SAB when only BWV are open to guests? I'm not even sure Disney will open it if BC is open to guests but YC is closed to the public.
I have no doubt Disney could get lifeguards. Water parks are closed until further notice. That alone would provide more then enough lifeguards to account for whatever lifeguards aren't available.

I don’t think there will ever be a smaller CP program. They get to have a ton of staff for basically free with that program. That’s a major reason we’re seeing such drastic cuts to things resort wide because they don’t have that large, basically pay free, workforce to staff everything.
Right .. I am sure a lot of the cuts are budgetary and not "for safety" .. but can be done with the "for safety" PR spin. And not saying this is nefarious, just that Disney is going to have to spend some time getting back up to speed castmember wise before things get "to normal" .. even if they weren't doing a lot of these safety measure restrictions.

I am just surprised that they are saying SAB is closed go to Luna Park, but taking the stance that we aren't allowed to resort hop for anything but a dining reservation in order to keep as much social distancing as possible. It's a contradiction. I just spoke with another supervisor that confirmed. I'm trying to be as understanding as possible, but come on Disney.

I am just surprised that they are saying SAB is closed go to Luna Park, but taking the stance that we aren't allowed to resort hop for anything but a dining reservation in order to keep as much social distancing as possible. It's a contradiction. I just spoke with another supervisor that confirmed. I'm trying to be as understanding as possible, but come on Disney.

I could see the monorail loop and the Epcot resorts having some exceptions, especially with losing Park Hopper.

I think the park hopping restriction is only for people who are coming from off property. There's no feasible way to restrict people from park hopping once they're on property. They're not going to be scanning magicbands before people get in to buses or when they get to the front door of the resort.

I missed the email part...did everyone get an email asking what their intentions are? Or just up to a certain date? I am sure it was discussed but I missed it
Hi. It was reported by several posters with reservations in July up until the 4th that they have until June 11th to communicate to Disney their intentions for keeping, cancelling or modifying their reservations.
Just realized I should double check and edit my post as I think I may have said “July” when I meant “June”. It’s by June for July reservations. This is getting confusing!

Hi. It was reported by several posters with reservations in July up until the 4th that they have until June 11th to communicate to Disney their intentions for keeping, cancelling or modifying their reservations.
Just realized I should double check and edit my post as I think I may have said “July” when I meant “June”. It’s by June for July reservations. This is getting confusing!
We have until June 12th to communicate our intentions on our bookings

This matches what Remy is saying about the reservation system being a permanent change.
I think they just set a date far into the future to get the system up and running. It doesn't mean they can't change that any time they want. They also don't show any resorts available other than DVC and FW up to Dec 31 and I don't think that's going to be the case either.

A reservation system with no park hopping sounds perfectly awful, but getting the possible permanent changes in bits and pieces means you don't see the whole picture. Once we get a real picture of what they're doing, it may be something I absolutely love....or hate. :)

Last edited:
I think they just set a date far into the future to get the system up and running. It doesn't mean they can't change that any time they want. They also don't show any resorts available other than DVC and FW up to Dec 31 and I don't think that's going to be the case either.

Yup, many of these things they could change on the fly once they get up and running. If they see that making reservations to go into the parks 30 days out isn’t something absolutely necessary in a few months, and capacity is at the point where its also not necessary they can change it. I dont think anyone with a reservation on October 15th of MK will be upset on October 3rd if they get an email saying “Your reservation for October 15th at Magic Kingdom is no longer necessary, you are free to use your ticket at any park”. Well, it is Disney, so there would probably still somehow be upset about that

June 11 makes a lot more sense. I was pretty confused by the July 11th date...

Did anyone really think Disney was going to open SAB when only BWV are open to guests? I'm not even sure Disney will open it if BC is open to guests but YC is closed to the public.
I have no doubt Disney could get lifeguards. Water parks are closed until further notice. That alone would provide more then enough lifeguards to account for whatever lifeguards aren't available.
BCV is open so I think.. yes some were hoping it would open... especially since our BCV dues go to SAB as well.

I was thinking about this whole thing more this morning (especially my “why Ft. Wildnerness cabins?” question), and I think the answer to all of this has been right in front of our faces the whole time.

I think this entire thing is related to transition to the new booking system that will replace the MDE app. I think all this chaos is the result of data migration into that system that is not going well. The migration plan was almost certainly designed to go week-to-week, as no way you can move all Disney data at once.

Think about it, what’s the first thing you do when you need to migrate data over and you have concerns about integrity, what is the first thing you do? Stop new data from coming into the system. Result: all new room, dining and ticket purchases suspended indefinitely. DONE.

What’s the second thing you do? Reduce the amount of data you need to migrate. Result: FP and ADR completely wiped out. DONE.

What’s the third thing you do in this situation? Move as much data as possible into systems that won’t be impacted by the migration. What’s special about both DVC and Ft. Wilderness? Separate booking systems from MDE. Ft. Wilderness campgrounds is also one non-DVC WDW property you can use points for. Result: move all reservations to DVC resorts or Ft. Wilderness. DONE.

The last thing? Manually backup all data and set a date for migration. Result: send out emails asking guests if they plan to keep their reservations and warn them that lack of response risks cancellation. Hard deadline of 7/11 for a response. DONE.

So my best guess is they are planning on turning on this new reservation/booking system on the 11th. Fingers crossed it works well because time is running out.
Great breakdown!

When it became clear in April that they would not be reopening any time soon, I wonder why they didn't start this process and in fact offered a highly coveted recovery offer. They announced reopening and started blocking new data on the same day. Why wait until late May to stop taking reservations especially knowing this new reservation system was a possibility and something Disney has been toying with for some time (or so I've gleaned)? Would have made things a heck of a lot easier to be doing this the past two months. It's hard to believe that was the plan as it's not a very good one.

Remy has stated differently but this whole thing feels unorganized and now, very rushed. I'm sure it will be fine at the end of the day, but they sat closed for months and it looks like they halted ALL movement instead of gearing up for an eventual reopening, until they were forced to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter