CR tacky or is it just me?

dismom3

Mouseketeer
Forgive me in advance, but does anyone else out there feel like the CR is tacky? It seems so outdated. It doesn't seem luxurious at all. The pictures look so ugly. Anyone else?

i think its one of the more tasteful, understated hotels on property actually.

I don't think it's tacky at all. I enjoy the resort and it's theme. I find the rooms to be very bright and roomy and it has a fun atmosphere. There's nothing like seeing the monorail zip thru your resort when you step out of your room or look above you when you are eating breakfast.

The CR's design offends most aesthetic standards, yes. I teach at Florida Int'l University in Miami, a public university built around the same time as the CR, and its design mirrors the CR's acres of concrete, simple geometric shapes, and earth-tones. Both are pretty tacky. It's a 1970's vision of modernity. Several resorts on property, specifically the Boardwalk Inn and the GF, are much prettier.

Having said that, it's a great place to stay. No other resort, for better or worse, gives you the sense that you're staying in the middle of the action. you feel as if the CR is the capital city of WDW, like living in Austin or Albany; it's not the boldest or prettiest city, but it's the oldest and full of history.

The rooms are the biggest on property, the restaurants are outstanding, and no other resort offers quite as many recreation, transportation, and shopping options. The CR may not be my favorite, but due to nostalgia and all the other reasons I just stated I have a special affection for it.

No, I don't. We love this resort. There is just something about it that takes us back to "Walt's Disney"........

Here are some pictures:
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/g_contm.htm

But, it's perfectly OK if you don't like it! We all have different tastes. I personally do not like the Poly though many others love it. ;)

Thanks sotoalf. I totally agree with you. How are the rooms in the wings? Are they decorated the same as the tower rooms? Are they the same sq. footage? You probably don't get that same feeling as staying in the tower.

Originally posted by dismom3
Forgive me in advance, but does anyone else out there feel like the CR is tacky? It seems so outdated. It doesn't seem luxurious at all. The pictures look so ugly. Anyone else?

ITA..."Hello, 1980 called - they want their decor back"

but again - that's just my opinion...I love the rustic look of the AKL and WL much better.

it's all a matter of taste - there are enough resorts out there that vary enough to please almost all.

Originally posted by dismom3
Thanks sotoalf. I totally agree with you. How are the rooms in the wings? Are they decorated the same as the tower rooms? Are they the same sq. footage? You probably don't get that same feeling as staying in the tower.

Both the wing and tower rooms are decorated exactly the same and are the same size. I've stayed in both, and both have their advantages. From the Tower, you're guaranteed an equally stunning view of the MK or Bay Lake; if you request a water view in the wings, you'll get one of the most tranquil views in all of WDW. You can see fog rolling over Bay Lake to your first-floor patio.

I'm staying at the CR in a couple of weeks and this is the room i requested. I think the tower rooms are overrated and too popular.

From the outside CR does look ugly and outdated, but I plan to stay there one day when my sons are older. They would love the monorail, and it's so much cheaper than the other MK resorts.

I used to think the the Swan/Dolphin was weird looking, but we're heading there for our second trip. When you're actually there, it all works together. If I had the money I would stay at the GF or the YC, but the teacher discount at the S/D makes it so much more attractive than any other deluxe.

When they (whoever "they" are) remodeled CR, I didn't care for the bedspread, drapery and carpet patterns. I still think they could have picked something a little nicer. That said, the rooms are the biggest on property, and the actual hotel concept is great. I just don' t like the way the rooms look after the remodelling job. Ugh.

I always found the CR extremely unappealing.

Having clicked on the link and looked at the photos of the rooms.....I have to upgrade my opinion to "God, that's ugly".

But everyone has different tastes.

I loved the GF, and our stay next time will be at POR, hopefully in a mansion building. That's just my taste.

DH wants to stay at the poly....that's what appeals to him. The beauty of Disney is there is something for almost everyone.

Karen

It does seem outdated. I'm not big on the concrete look

The views are spectacular, the whoosh of the monorail, the activity, convenience of nice resturants, a couple nice stores at your fingertips, the largest rooms and gameroom on property, bright cheery room decor, the snack shop right downstairs for the refillable drinks, a 'coffee counter" with iced coffees and lattes, right by the elevator, convenient parking, the pool conveniently out the back door, and the easiest quickest access to MK and Epcot you could want.

Aesthetically gorgeous, it is not. AKL, BI or WL, it is not. A wonderful place to stay with a growing busy family??? That it is!!! Nothing like grabbing a nice latte, going to your room, and relaxing on the deck enjoying the view, while your kids can play in the gameroom, or go to the pool (age permitting), get their own drinks, all within the confines of the resort.

The resort is not long and sprawling, so kids can find their way around pretty easily. And when you want get going again with everyone in tow, the mono-rail is less than a minute away. On the otherside of that, when you get back from a day at the park and your really dragging, your room is less than a minute away!!!

They all have thier plusses and minusses. Different strokes for different folks. When we (DH and myself) stayed at the BI the thing we missed most were all the conveniences right inside the resort and at your fingertips. If you wanted anything at all, you had to go down to the Boardwalk. BUT, we loved the REALLY easy access to EPCOT. With a growing family though, I would pick CR hands down.

The CR was suppose to represent what WDW thought the future would look like-- contrete and the monorail traveling into hotel.

The resort has many advantages. Its location to the MK. There are some beautiful views from this resort. Great restaurants and shops. Since its one of the original WDW resorts -- the rooms are large.

If you think about where the CR is located --- very close to space mountain and the much needed update of tommorrowland.

Dontcha just love the "Giant Toaster" look of it? I hear tell that Elvis is actually alive and well and working on the grounds crew (a very senior member, with somewhat limited mobility of course) at the Comtemporary ;)

I can see how some might think its ugly and tacky. I can see how some can see that it is even beautiful. I love the way it looks. Not because of its visual appeal but because what it represents. Being right in the middle of a great vacation destnation. I've been conditioned over the years to see it and get goose bumps and a lump in the throat. That would happen no matter how it looked through the years. I love it.

Uncle Albert

I think CR is very interesting looking and the extras make it very appealing to me. I think staying at the concierge leve,l in particular, seems wonderful! If you don't like the bright tones of the other levels, that is much calmer. I'm sitting here wondering how soon I can stay there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter