CR tacky or is it just me?

I have never stayed there, but I think its cool. I am fascinated by the fact I have lived through a period when this resort was considered "modern" and now it probably could be termed "retro". The decor is what PC should have been.

LOL, stinkerbelle!

to be honest, I thought the same as alot of you all, but after staying there two months ago...and keep in mind I LOVE the AKL, Poly, YC, etc....

there's something very special about this place!

Our room was HUGE and had a really neat "Jetson-ish" decor!
Bathroom was also very large and had plenty of room and privacy.

This is a Walt Disney original....and he had the CR placed exactely where it is as a backdrop for tomorrowland.

We received wonderful CM service, clean room, great food, and the excitement of the monorail all in one place!

I'm looking forward to returning to the CR and hopefully experiencing the 14th floor!

:wave:

I used to feel the exact same way as you about the CR being tacky, but my opinion has changed quite a bit. I have still never stayed there, but as I have spent more time dining at, shopping at, and just walking around the CR, it has grown on me. It really does have a "right in the middle of the magic" feeling that is just wonderful. Plus, I love eating breakfast at Concourse Steakhouse with the monorail whishing by overhead. Some areas of the resort definitely have that 70's feel to them (like the mural in the Grand Canyon Concourse), but some seem more "modern contemporary" like the check-in area. The room decor is definitely bright, but the pictures I have seen make it look like a fun place to stay. So, I have gone from being someone who thought she would never want to stay there to being someone with the CR on her list of things to try very soon. I typically prefer the decor of resorts like the GF, AKL, and YC, but the CR has grown on me for sure. :)

Although it is not a Disney resort, the rooms at SOG are larger than the CR (at least the original section). We've stayed at both and liked both for different reasons.

Originally posted by CSX2
Although it is not a Disney resort, the rooms at SOG are larger than the CR (at least the original section). We've stayed at both and liked both for different reasons.

That's true...but don't give me one more reason to miss the Disney Inn!

I agree. It looks awful to me and to be honest I don't like the inside either - too 'convention' looking LOL. Love the 'Giant Toaster' quote ;)

Originally posted by Disney Fool
When they (whoever "they" are) remodeled CR, I didn't care for the bedspread, drapery and carpet patterns. I still think they could have picked something a little nicer. That said, the rooms are the biggest on property, and the actual hotel concept is great. I just don' t like the way the rooms look after the remodelling job. Ugh.
Actually, rooms at the Polynesian are the largest on Disney property.

:wave:

Originally posted by Frances999
Actually, rooms at the Polynesian are the largest on Disney property.

According to a Disney floor plan I've got here, the CR's standard rooms are 436 ft. The Polynesian's are 409. Both, however, are bigger than rooms at the other deluxes.

The CR is awsome. We have been going there since it opened. We used to think that the CR was WDW! It has the best arcade, best restaurants, best shops, best water activities, best views, best transportation options, ect. In my opinion, it is the best resort on the property.

I think the CR is beautiful.

After staying at heavily themed resorts, I love the simplicity and the sleekness of CR. At night, it's especially beautiful, with all it's lights reflecting off the lake.

I just can't see it as a toaster, that image doesn't come into my mind at all about the CR. It looks nothing like a toaster to me. Maybe I'm looking through Judy Jetson's eyes, but I do see it as a "contemporary" resort, futuristic and cool.

And of course it's history is so appealing to me. This was Walt's baby.

We just stayed there for the first time in may and i have to admit it was better than i thought! After looking at the pics of the room decor online i was really worried i wouldnt be able to relax in the sea of bright colors and patterns, but its really not bad at all. The thing i was dissapointed in was the overall "theming" of the resort... it seemed sort of non-existant! Thats what i love about the poly, you walk in and suddenly your in a different world! Having said all that i would probably stay there again in the future but its definately not my fav resort!!! just my 2 cents

-Chrissy

Originally posted by Disney Fool
When they (whoever "they" are) remodeled CR, I didn't care for the bedspread, drapery and carpet patterns.

Just curious, how long ago was the CR remodeled??

Tacky?

No, I don't consider it tacky.

Unique, unusual, interesting, amazing...those are the words I consider it.

Since I first set eyes on this hotel when I was 8 years old (in 1975) I have thought it was unbelievable. A hotel where the monorail went through the middle - I thought I had died and gone to heaven! LOL! ;)

The contemporary will always be my fav since it was the only on-site resort I stayed at as a child! Many people feel that it is not themed, and that other resorts take you away to another place, but I look at it this way, I am at another place, I'm at Disney! And no other hotel screams Disney than the CR. If I wanted a beach, island, or lodge resort, I'd actually go to the beach, Hawaii; or camping (heck and save some money too)!

That being said, I will be at the Poly in 10 days, since I let my daughter pick out our hotel, but if it was up to me, it would be CR all the way! Maybe my opinion will be different when I get back.

;)

Yep, it's so tacky that I'm jumping for joy....

because I FINALLY scored a room on the 14th floor!!!!!:bounce:

Can't wait for January! :tongue:

I hope you guys all have a great time! I can't wait until we go in July (not to the CR)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter