Covid is there like it or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

houston11

Earning My Ears
just returned from 6 days on the magic and came home to testing positive for covid/ please wear a mask in the elevators and use antiseptic on your hands several times daily/ when there are 2500 passengers there will be many many that have covid by pure numbers.

just returned from 6 days on the magic and came home to testing positive for covid/ please wear a mask in the elevators and use antiseptic on your hands several times daily/ when there are 2500 passengers there will be many many that have covid by pure numbers.

Hopefully, your case will be mild and will run through your system quickly.

Not on a cruise, but can confirm, it's definitely still actively going around. I teach at a university and I've had many students testing positive in the last few weeks. I guess my perspective is that I'm vaxed and boosted and have had it already - I'm going to just enjoy my cruise (I don't wear a mask out locally as long as I'm healthy, and I'm not going to on-board either). But everyone should do what makes them most comfortable - everyone's risk tolerance levels and personal circumstances are different.

We've done 3 cruises since November 2021 and didn't get covid or flu on any of them. We were vaccinated and started vitamins 2 weeks before and during the cruise. We didn't avoid crowded areas and went to shows and activities indoors. Pretty bold to write and expect people to wear a mask. If you don't want to risk getting covid, don't go.

We went on the Fantasy in August. I was so nervous about Covid. The only one who got it was my son and I think he got it from our three days after when we were in Universal. We weren't going to skip our cruise for the third year and I'm so glad we didn't. That being said, we're going on a Royal cruise at Christmas time this year and we know it'll be packed. We have to learn to live with it. I'll wear a mask when I feel uncomfortable but I can't make others do the same and I'm fine with that. Hope you feel better real soon!

We are considering booking a March Western on the Fantasy and that is one of the reasons I'm hesitant. We are fully vaxxed and boosted, but that is only reducing the symptoms. We sailed last June on the Fantasy and masked indoors (except in dining room) and all came home with covid and we were REALLY Sick for 2 weeks. I'm not up for that again. The insane costs of airfare is also a big consideration. Looking at maybe a road trip now. Definitely will not be as relaxing as a cruise.

We sailed three times last year - member of our party in July came down with COVID, in November it was me, and in December our youngest DD came down with a normal cold. From Facebook groups we've joined folks have reported back and taking the number of people reporting COVID or flu divided by total number of families on the cruise the percentage is higher than I would have thought. I shared this on a Facebook Disney Cruising page and got "murdered" by the comments saying I was lying or making it up. We still plan to cruise - have two planned, but I go into it realizing that we have a good chance of contracting COVID.

We do as one of the posters mentioned and increase vitamin intake starting a couple weeks prior to the cruise.

Our Fla county just went from low to mid risk. No surprise, greater influx of northern visitors running from the cold. COVID Is here to stay so dealing with it as best u can is just practical sense. Hopefully, the cases are mild..

My parents went on a cruise in September (not DCL - Celebrity) and on their cruise's FB page, a lot of people mentioned testing positive for Covid after the cruise ended. My parents fortunately didn't get sick, but there is always a risk when you go to any public place. Places were a lot of people gather like cruise ships and theme parks are petri dishes for disease, not just Covid. I think we're past the point of forcing people to wear a mask (not going to discuss whether that's a good thing or not because I really don't care), so the best you can do is to keep yourself and your loved ones safe. I always bring hand sanitizer whenever I go out in public, I wear a mask in indoor closed spaces and I wash my hands frequently.

Distance and good hygiene are the best preventatives. If you want to wear masks that's great and you should do so if they make you feel more comfortable. They will give you an extra prophylactic layer, so to speak. However, they in themselves do not provide much protection unless you still adhere to social distance and frequent hand washing / sanitizing.

We sailed three times last year - member of our party in July came down with COVID, in November it was me, and in December our youngest DD came down with a normal cold. From Facebook groups we've joined folks have reported back and taking the number of people reporting COVID or flu divided by total number of families on the cruise the percentage is higher than I would have thought. I shared this on a Facebook Disney Cruising page and got "murdered" by the comments saying I was lying or making it up. We still plan to cruise - have two planned, but I go into it realizing that we have a good chance of contracting COVID.

We do as one of the posters mentioned and increase vitamin intake starting a couple weeks prior to the cruise.
We (wife and I) both got COVID after our November cruise. Wife got sick enough to require hospitalization. We were both completely vaccinated with 5 shots. Not sure how much it would matter but we were not as careful as we could have been as far as wearing masks. We are scheduled for another cruise in September and will try to take as many precautions as possible after the last experience.

Not surprised about the Facebook reaction. There are many people who get COVID and don't experience anything more than minor cold like symptoms. So for them it is no big deal. So this group of people could be positive for COVID and not even realize it.

We can only assume that COVID will be on the ship or other places where people congregate and act accordingly by taking whatever precautions that we can to make ourselves as comfortable about the situation as possible. Unfortunately COVID is here to stay. We are not going to lock ourselves in our house and avoid doing anything hoping never to get sick again.

It is certainly a risk still. I picked up COVID December 2021 at WDW, and my wife picked it up December 2022 at WDW. Nobody picked it up on our last cruise.

My wife was so careful at WDW. She even skipped the buffet at Bier Garden to lower the risk. Yet, she is the one who caught it this time. I think there is a huge element of bad luck when it comes to catching it, since it is in the air and you never know when you will walk by that person who coughs in your face or the like. I was in the house with my wife, coughing strongly, the entire time she had it and didn't get it. It's an odd bug. I prefer not to mask, but don't judge those who make that choice. In the end, nobody should be cruising if it is a significant concern to them.

My daughter and I were two of a handful of people masking in December. I did not get sick until more than a week after getting home so likely not from the cruise. It was my second time despite being fully vaxed and masking all the time. Just bad luck. I mask because I don't want to give it to someone else if I do have it, unfortunately others are not so kind.

My daughter and I were two of a handful of people masking in December. I did not get sick until more than a week after getting home so likely not from the cruise. It was my second time despite being fully vaxed and masking all the time. Just bad luck. I mask because I don't want to give it to someone else if I do have it, unfortunately others are not so kind.
I'm curious - when do you think it will no longer be "unkind" to mask? Since it is becoming endemic now, do you think you have a moral obligation to wear a mask the rest of your life in public? That's not a rhetorical question, I am genuinely wondering.

I'm curious - when do you think it will no longer be "unkind" to mask? Since it is becoming endemic now, do you think you have a moral obligation to wear a mask the rest of your life in public? That's not a rhetorical question, I am genuinely wondering.
I am referring to people who are sick but do not mask. If you think you have a cold why not mask until you test? It is a simple thing to do. Both times I had it I thought I had a cold. The first time I got much sicker very fast but the second time I did not. Tests are free or cheap as are masks.

I am referring to people who are sick but do not mask. If you think you have a cold why not mask until you test? It is a simple thing to do. Both times I had it I thought I had a cold. The first time I got much sicker very fast but the second time I did not. Tests are free or cheap as are masks.
Got it. 100% agree with you on that. Stay home if you can, but at least mask if you can't. At the very least, cover your mouth when you cough. It seems people won't even do that half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter