• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cookies from cake mixes! Also: BISCOTTI, BARS, CUPS & POPS

I found a recipe to make sturdy Gingerbread Houses using cake mixes! :banana:
ginger.jpg

It's snipped from The Cake Mix Doctor website.

"After some tinkering I found that by adding oil, either molasses or sorghum, and ground ginger you have a tight but workable dough that can be rolled and cut into sections of the house. And the ginger in the dough smells wonderful and gets everyone in the holiday mood! It all was well affixed with royal icing. The uncooked royal icing makes this house one meant for visual enjoyment, not for eating."

Makes 1 gingerbread house
Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
Baking Time: 15 to17 Minutes
Cooling Time: Overnight
Assembly Time: 60 Minutes

Cake

2 packages (18.25 ounces each) plain spice cake mix
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 cup vegetable oil, such as canola, corn, safflower, soybean, or sunflower
1 cup molasses or sorghum syrup
1 to 2 tablespoons water, if needed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Royal Icing:

5 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
5 large egg whites

Candy Decorations:

Assorted peppermint sticks, hard candy mix, licorice, gum-drops, and slivered almonds (& of course whatever you want to creatively add on!)

1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F. Set aside 3 ungreased baking sheets.

2. Place the cake mix, ginger, oil, and sorghum or molasses in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until the mixture comes together into a ball, 1 minute. Stop the machine and add water as needed to make the dough come together and be firm but still workable. Blend again at low speed to incorporate the water.

3. Sprinkle flour over a clean work surface and roll the dough out to a 1/4-inch thickness. Using a ruler and a sharp knife, cut six rectangles from the dough, each 7 by 4 1/2 inches. With floured fingers or with a metal spatula, place four of the rectangles on two of the baking sheets. Place the baking sheets in the refrigerator.

4. Make the peaked roof. Using a ruler and knife, mark the midpoint of one of the short ends of the two remaining rectangles (about 2 1/4 inches in). From that end, measure and mark 2 1/2 inches along both of the long sides. Place the ruler on the dough going from the midpoint mark to the mark along one long side to form a corner triangle. Cut away the triangle. Repeat this from the midpoint mark to the mark on the other long side. Mark and cut the remaining rectangle of dough the same way. Carefully place the peaked pieces and the four triangles on the third baking sheet. On the flat end of one of the peaked pieces, cut out a piece 2 1/4 inches high and 1 1/2 inches wide. This will be the door. Place this door back on the baking sheet. Remove the baking sheets from the refrigerator and place all three in the oven. If your oven is not large enough, place two pans on the center rack and place the third pan in the center of the highest rack.

5. Bake until the dough is lightly brown and firm, 15 to 17 minutes. Be careful not to overbake the sheet on the highest rack. Remove the pans to wire racks to cool for 5 minutes. The dough may puff up but you just need to press it back down with the back of a metal spatula. Carefully slide a spatula underneath the pieces of the house and place them on racks to cool overnight.

6. The next day, prepare the Royal Icing. Place the confectioners' sugar and egg whites in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides of the bowl down again if needed. The icing should look smooth and thick.

7. When you are ready to assemble the gingerbread house, fill a pastry tube with the Royal Icing, if you have one, or just use a dinner knife. Cover a tray with waxed paper or plastic wrap to protect it. Join one peaked piece and the short side of one side piece with royal icing at the inside corner seam. Support the pieces with small water glasses pushed right up next to them. Do the same for the other peaked piece and side piece, then join the four pieces at the two remaining inside corner seams.

8. Let this frame dry for 1 hour. Place the roof rectangle at an angle over the house and affix along the edges with icing. Place the second roof rectangle at an angle over the house. It will overlap the first. Affix it to the edges and along the top of the roof with icing. If you wish, use the triangles and the royal icing to create a chimney sticking out of the roof. Place the triangles so that the short flat sides form the top of the chimney. Affix the chimney to the roof with royal icing. Seal the tops together with icing. Let this dry for 1 hour. During this time you can pipe or spread royal icing around the house and create candy landscaping, with gumdrops for shrubs and candy canes for a walkway, if desired. If the sides seem secure you can go ahead and decorate the sides and ends with candy, spreading them with a little icing before gently pushing them against the gingerbread.

9. When the roof has dried, spread the roof with icing and sprinkle over lots of slivered almonds to look like roofing tiles. Attach the front door using royal icing, if desired, and decorate the door with candies. Let the house dry out well, a day or so, before transporting it.

This gingerbread house keeps at room temperature in a dry room for 2 to 3 weeks :cool1:

Here's another recipe using a Brownie mix - it's right from the Hershey Kisses website, but I've made them every year and they're YUMMY!

Tuxedo Brownie HUGS Cookies

Ingredients

60 HERSHEY'S HUGS Brand Chocolates
1 package (1lb. 6.5 oz.) original supreme brownie mix with syrup pouch
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
Directions

1. Remove wrappers from chocolates. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.

2. Stir brownie mix, pouch of HERSHEY'S Syrup, cocoa, water, oil and eggs in medium bowl until well blended. Drop by scant teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheet.

3. Bake 8 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute. Press chocolate into center of each cookie. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 5 dozen cookies.

jedi_librarian said:
Here's another recipe using a Brownie mix - it's right from the Hershey Kisses website, but I've made them every year and they're YUMMY!

Tuxedo Brownie HUGS Cookies

Ingredients

60 HERSHEY'S HUGS Brand Chocolates
1 package (1lb. 6.5 oz.) original supreme brownie mix with syrup pouch
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
Directions

1. Remove wrappers from chocolates. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.

2. Stir brownie mix, pouch of HERSHEY'S Syrup, cocoa, water, oil and eggs in medium bowl until well blended. Drop by scant teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheet.

3. Bake 8 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute. Press chocolate into center of each cookie. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 5 dozen cookies.

OH YUMMY!!!!

kellypooh said:
I got this recipe out of The Cake Mix Doctor cook book by Anne Byrn and have slightly modified it for my family's tastes.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars

Mine had to cool longer than 30 minutes to become solid again. The chocolate was really gooey and chewy. I am usually an absolute chocolate peanut butter lover, but these were way way too sweet and rich for me. My peanut butter topping wasn't really crumbly enough to crumble on the top either, it was more like a cookie dough mixture. I followed the recipe exactly though, so not sure what went wrong. Oh well, on to the next recipe :( I had high hopes with these for our Christmas Cookie night. I'm sure they'll be a lot of fans of this one though, since it's so simple and it is indeed sweet :)

I'm going to try and make the lemon cookie recipe with the coolwhip this weekend for a cookie swap I am going to on Sunday. I'll let you all know how they came out! :stir:

I have made about four variations so far of this recipe. DH loves the cookies and I can't believe HOW EASY this is. Christmas cookies have been a breeze this year.

Thank you so much for this thread, OP! :) I was in a bind.

I remembered reading this thread. Looked it up and I had everything on hand. Yea! :) I used Pillsbury white cake mix (supreme moist mix or something like that). Crushed some candy canes and sprinkled it on top. They look and taste great! Thanks so much!

Hi all you bakers out there. I have an unusual cookie recipe that uses a cake mix AND mayo-style dressing! It really helps keep the cookies moist. And no one will guess the secret ingredient!

This makes your basic chocolate drop-type cookie. They are really nice and chewy with chunks of chocolate and nuts.

Enjoy - LISA

Chewy Chocolate Cookies

Prep: 10 min.
Bake: 12 min.

1 pkg. (2-layer size) chocolate cake mix
2 eggs
1 cup Miracle Whip Dressing
1 cup Baker’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks
1/2 cup chopped Planters Walnuts

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Place cake mix, eggs and dressing in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Stir in remaining ingredients.

DROP rounded teaspoonfuls of dough, 2 inches apart, onto greased baking sheets.

BAKE 10 to 12 min. or until cookies are slightly firm to the touch. Cool completely on wire racks.

Makes about 6-1/2 dozen cookies or 26 servings, 3 cookies each.

Substitute:
Substitute Planters Pecans or Sliced Almonds for the walnuts.

Substitute:
Substitute 5 squares Baker’s Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, coarsely chopped, for the chocolate chunks.

I want to THANK EVERYONE for this thread!!!!! :thumbsup2 :sunny:

I made a number of these and added a couple of my own Xmas recipes. I took them to 2 parties and my DH took them to work. I got raves everywhere!!!! AND the cake mix cookies made it so easy and quick that I plan to do this every year!!!! :sunny:

The white cake mix with peppermint (found pretty peppermint chips at the store!) frosted with white frosting and sprinkled with crushed candy canes, spice with apple, and lemon with white choc chips, and orange with choc chips were the best! I also did choc with capuccino chips, choc with mini peanut butter cups, butter mix with cinn sugar, and choc with mint.

:wizard:

I haven't looked thru this whole thread, so I hope this is not a repeat:

Pillsbury Coconut Crunch Pretzel Bars (a favorite recipe from Bake-Off contest #37):

Crust:
1 pkg Pillsbury Moist Supreme German Chocolate Cake Mix
1/2 cup crushed pretzels
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
1 egg

Filling:
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
2 eggs
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup butterscotch chips
2-1/4 cups coconut
1 (6 oz) pkg semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13x9 inch pan. In large bowl, combine all crust ingredients; mix at low speed until blended. Press in bottom of greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until crust puffs and appears dry. Cool 5 minutes.

Meanwhile in large bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup, and 2 eggs; mix at low speed until well blended. Stir in remaining filling ingredients. Spoon evenly over partially baked crust.

Return to oven; bake an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until edges are deep golden brown (center will not be set). Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled. Cut into bars. Store in loosely covered container. Makes 36 bars. No change for high altitude.

I just made a batch of "Carrot" cake mix cookies and I made sandwhiches out of them with cream cheese icing between 2 cookies. My DH said to forget all other types as this is the best...:thumbsup2

Thanks to this thread, I was a big hit with my nieces when they came over. We made Butter Pecan chocolate chip, frosted and put sprinkles on them. We had a blast. I am now a COOL AUNT:woohoo:

I just made a batch of "Carrot" cake mix cookies and I made sandwhiches out of them with cream cheese icing between 2 cookies. My DH said to forget all other types as this is the best...:thumbsup2

Wow, that sounds yummy. :) I always hate how there is so much more carrot cake to a thin layer of icing. Sandwiching it in between sounds like it really hits the spot! :cool1:

And carrot cake counts as one of your 5 portions of fruit and veg per day, right?;) :rotfl:

How did you make up your cream cheese icing? I've got a Betty Crocker mix but I've only got low fat soft cheese in the house

I got it in a can...:rotfl2: I can't cook but I think that the REAL thing would be better.

Sorry i can't help.

I just made a simple bar recipe yesterday with a four year old:

Raspberry Oatmeal Bars
1pkg yellow cake mix
2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
3/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
1 (12oz) jar raspberry jam, I used strawberry
1T. water
Combine cake mix and oats. Stir in melted margarine until mixture is crumbly. Put about 3 cups of mixture in a 9X13 pan and press firmly. Combine jam and water and spoon over crumb mixtures, spread evenly. Cover with remaining crumb mixture, make top even by patting firmly. Bake 375 for 20 minutes. Cool before cutting into bars.

I only had an 18oz jar of jam so I just used it and glad I did.

I have seen some recipies like this one where you can use apple sauce instead of oil? Has anyone tried them? If so, how did you do it? Did it come out ok? Did you use sweetened or unsweetened appla sauce? How much of it?

Thanks everyone.

The oil & eggs are the only liquid, you'd still have to keep some oil in to make the cookie dough moist enough. Also, taking out ALL the fat changes the texture & crispiness of the cookies, so it's kind of an inexact science as to how much you want to substitute.

http://www.ochef.com/225.htm

Substitutes for Fat in Baking

Can I substitute applesauce instead of oil when baking cookies? My recipe calls for 1 cup of oil, but I would like to make a recipe with fewer calories.

You absolutely can experiment with substituting applesauce for some of the fat in traditional recipes for baked goods. But fats play various important roles in baking, and messing with them too severely can cause problems.

One of the most important tasks played by the fat is keeping the flour proteins from mixing with the moisture in a batter and forming long strands of gluten that will make cakes and cookies tough...

To help cut down on the formation of gluten, mix the liquid ingredients and sugar well (using an electric mixer if practical to beat as much air into it as possible). Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, and don’t combine the two until the last moment. Then mix them gently by hand, and as little as possible. Gluten begins to form as soon as the flour comes in contact with a liquid and gets more active the more you stir it.

Fat plays a role in determining the shape and texture of a finished cookie — butter in cookies causes them to spread, producing crispness; cookies with vegetable shortening do not spread, and are more cake-like. You won’t be able to produce a crisp cookie with a fruit puree.

Finally, fat has a lot to do with carrying the flavor and nutrients in baking, so you should not do away with it entirely, or you’ll just lose a lot of the flavor...

Why not use a half a cup of applesauce and 2 tablespoons of oil in your cookie recipe and see how it turns out? That’s almost 1,600 calories fewer than the recipe started with. You might have more success (and be more satisfied) with cakes and muffins made with fruit purees, but starting with cookies is a daring move and you may surprise us all.

Another site says:
Yes, applesauce is a good choice since it does not have a pronounced flavor or color that would greatly change the baked product. The greater the proportion of applesauce used for oil, the more difference you will see in your finished product. Try substituting about 1/3 of the oil first, and alter the amount accordingly from there on.

Oh, and I read: make sure you use UNSWEETENED applesauce. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter