Cookies from cake mixes! Also: BISCOTTI, BARS, CUPS & POPS

thank you so much, made a spice cake with cinnimon chips and walnuts yesterday and waiting for a white cake mix with cranberries and walnuts to come out of the oven! will try the choclate ones this week coming,really came out very tasty..thanks again...marianne:goodvibes

My favorite variation is to use butter recipe yellow cake mix and make dough into balls then roll in cinnamon and sugar before baking. They will flatten as they bake and crackle around the edges. They are pretty and so yummy!

Almost sounds like a Snickerdoodle"

CRANBERRY CRISPS
These are really really easy and everyone loves them.

1 (15oz) pkg. Pillsbury® Cranberry Quick Bread & Muffin Mix
1/2 Cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
2/3 cup butter or margarine melted
1 egg
1 tablespoon sugar

Heat oven to 350F. In large bowl, combine quick bread mix, walnuts, butter and egg, mix well. Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. place 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. With glass dipped in sugar, press each to 1/8 inch thickness.

Bake at 350F for 7 - 10 minutes or until light golden brown around edges. Remove from cookie sheets.
2 1/2 dozen cookies

High altitude (above 3500 ft) No change

Just wanted to report that I made the biscotti yesterday using devils food cake mix. I added in white chocolate chips and did a white chocolate drizzle! They are really really yummy! MY DH liked them so much he asked me to buy more cake mix to make them again after the holidays! This time I bought fudge marble cake mix to try it with!

Here is my finished biscotti.

s1030180ok0.jpg

Thanks so much for the great recipe!

Ooooooh KatGarcia! Your biscotti look scrumptious! :cool1:

Okay everyone: Here are two traditional favorite cookies made with cake mix. :thumbsup2

New-Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies

r36396fp.jpg

1 box yellow or butter recipe yellow cake mix
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
Granulated sugar (optional)

1. Heat oven to 375°F (350°F for dark or nonstick cookie sheets).
In large bowl, beat cake mix, brown sugar, water, peanut butter, oil and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.

2. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar and, on ungreased cookie sheet, place 2 inches apart. Flatten in crisscross pattern with fork dipped in sugar.

3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.

If these cookies are too sweet for you, you can leave out the brown sugar. :goodvibes

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.
Recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker®

Easy Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies

r20370fp.jpg

1 box spice cake mix
2 eggs
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, if desired

1. Heat oven to 375°F.
Combine cake mix, egg whites, oats and oil in a large bowl. Beat at low speed until well blended. Stir in raisins and (optional) nuts.

2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Flatten slightly as they do not flatten while baking.

3. Bake 7-10 minutes until lightly browned. These do not brown much, so watch them carefully. (If you wait for them to "look" done, they'll be overdone.)

Cool on sheets 1 minute. Remove and cool completely.

Variation of the recipe above uses twice as much oatmeal and add-ins for a denser & healthier cookie:

Cowboy Cookies
1 box spice cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chocolate chips or raisins.

Mix on low and form into balls. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees, or until still soft in the center.

(Recipe courtesy of Carolyn Kent from The cakemixdoctor.com newsletter.)

TIP: Cookie bars are quicker to make than cookies as you do not have to drop by spoonfuls. Just flatten in the pan and slice into bars once they are cool. :thumbsup2 (They do take much longer to cool though.)

Other cookie bar recipes contributed by members are Posts: #17, #54, #67, #91, #98 :cool1:

Butterscotch/Caramel Bars

r36267fp.jpg

1 box butter pecan cake mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1 jar (12.5 oz) caramel topping

1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). In large bowl, stir together dry cake mix, butter and egg, using fork. Using a piece of plastic wrap on crumb mixture, press half of the mixture in bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch pan; remove wrap.

2. Bake 10 minutes. Pour topping over crust. Sprinkle with remaining cake mix mixture.

3. Bake 18 to 22 minutes (25 to 28 minutes for dark or nonstick pan) or until light golden brown. Cool 10 minutes; loosen edges of crust with knife. Cool completely, about 50 minutes. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store covered. These are very gooey, messy & sticky because of all the caramel. :)

For a twist: try a chocolate cake mix, caramel sauce and toffee bits (Heath bar or Skorr) in the middle. :teeth:

Triple-Chocolate Cherry Bars (or strawberry)

r34282fp.jpg

1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling OR strawberry pie filling
1 egg, beaten
1/2 bag or more (12-oz size) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1 container Whipped chocolate frosting (optional)

1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease and flour 15x10x1-inch or 13x9-inch pan, or spray with baking spray with flour.

2. In large bowl, gently mix dry cake mix, pie filling, eggs and chocolate chips with rubber scraper; break up any undissolved cake mix by pressing with scraper. Carefully spread in pan.

3. Bake 15x10x1-inch pan 25 to 30 minutes, 13x9-inch pan 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Frost with frosting. A drizzle of melted white chocolate makes these bars look even more special. For bars, cut into 8 rows by 6 rows.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Heat oven to 350°F for all pans.

Rocky Road Bars

r36279fp.jpg

1 box chocolate fudge or devil's food cake mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/3 cup water
2 eggs
1 cup chopped nuts and/or chocolate chips
3 cups miniature marshmallows
1/3 cup of canned chocolate frosting
m&m's

1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease or lightly spray 13x9-inch pan.

2. In large bowl, stir together half of the dry cake mix, the melted butter, water, brown sugar and eggs until smooth. Stir in remaining cake mix and the nuts and chocolate chips. Spread in pan. Bake 20 minutes (25 minutes for dark or nonstick pan); sprinkle with marshmallows & m&m's.

3. Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer (14 to 18 minutes for dark or nonstick pan) or until marshmallows are puffed and golden. In microwavable bowl, microwave frosting uncovered on High 15 seconds. Drizzle over bars. Cool completely, about 1 hour. For easier cutting, use plastic knife dipped in hot water. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store covered.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): In step 2, bake 25 minutes. In step 3, bake 5 to 10 minutes.

Chocolate-Caramel Bars

r40750fp.jpg

This recipe is not as sweet as the first one above, because of the added oatmeal. I think you can just substitute a jar of caramel sauce for the wrapped caramels & milk.

1 box devil's food cake mix
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
2 cups quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1 bag (14 oz) vanilla caramels, unwrapped (or jar of caramel topping)
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, if desired

1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Generously grease bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with shortening or cooking spray. In large bowl, beat cake mix, butter and egg with electric mixer on low speed until well mixed.

2. Stir in oats until crumbly (use fingers if necessary). Reserve 1 1/2 cups cake mixture. Press remaining mixture in pan (use plastic wrap or waxed paper to press mixture if it is sticky).

3. In heavy 2-quart saucepan, heat caramels and milk over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until melted. (Or use a jar of caramel topping.) Pour over chocolate layer in pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans. Sprinkle reserved cake mixture over top.

4. Bake 22 to 28 minutes or until caramel bubbles along edges and cake mixture on top appears crisp and dry. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen bars. Cool completely, about 1 hour 30 minutes. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store tightly covered.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Bake 26 to 30 minutes.
Recipes above courtesy of Betty Crocker®

Sunshine Lemon Bars

rec4-sunshine-lemon_1.jpg

1 pkg Lemon Cake Mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 large egg
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1/2 cup lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Stir together cake mix, butter and egg. Spread mixture evenly into bottom of a 13x9-inch baking pan.
2. Blend together sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice. Pour mixture over top of cake mix mixture.
3. Bake for 23 to 27 minutes. Cool completely. Cut into 1 1/2x3 1/4-inch bars.

Orange Chess Bars

rec4-orange-chess_1.jpg

Crust
1 box Orange Cake Mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup chopped pecans

Toppings
1 lb confectioner's sugar
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese
2 large eggs
2 tsp grated orange peel

1. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease 13x9-inch baking pan.
2. For crust, combine cake mix, oil and pecans in large bowl. Stir until blended (mixture will be crumbly). Press in bottom of prepared pan.
3. For topping, combine confectioners' sugar and cream cheese in large bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer until blended. Add eggs and orange peel. Beat at low speed until blended. Pour over crust.
4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until topping is set. Cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Cut into bars.

Above 2 recipes courtesy of Duncan Hines®
:cool1:

Ok finally got around to making these easy ones!

Did Devil's food cake mix with mini chocolate chips and Toffee chips! yummy!!
update 30 minutes and 4 kids later no cookies left- so I guess they were good.

Just tried the biscotti and can I just say yum! I made spice with pumpkin seeds, and red velvet with mini chocolate chips. I can't decide which one I like better! I think I'll do a white chocolate drizzle or dip (well, candy melts! lol) on both. I only wish I had tried these earlier b/c the red velvet with a white and green drizzle would have been GREAT for christmas!

I've also used the white chocolate chips for my lemon cookies.
Kim

Just to note: boy this sure is an old thread! lol

However, I did try the white chocolate chips and coconut recently with a strawberry cake mix and boy were they yummy too!
I love experimenting with all of the different flavors and adding stuff to them. Sure makes for some interesing cookies.:)
Kim

Oh dear- I can see the pounds coming on! I'm going to be very popular this holiday season. :laughing:

I made biscotti with carrot cake mix (it was what was in the larder:rolleyes1 ) with choc chips and chopped almonds. DH loved them and couldn't believe I'd made them - he was secretly looking through the recycling box for a wrapper:rotfl: I'll be doing these again (bang goes my diet:guilty: )

I made biscotti with carrot cake mix (it was what was in the larder:rolleyes1 ) with choc chips and chopped almonds. DH loved them and couldn't believe I'd made them - he was secretly looking through the recycling box for a wrapper:rotfl: I'll be doing these again (bang goes my diet:guilty: )
Ooooh! I never would have thought of carrot cake biscotti! That combo sounds yummy!

Just to note: boy this sure is an old thread! lol

Yes, it's an old thread and it still gets about 200 hits every couple of days! :dance3: :yay: :cool1: :cheer2:

Glad this thread is still so usefull to everyone! :yay:

The weather is cooling off again. School's back in session. Holiday season just around the corner. Time to bake more cookies! :cool1:

Here are some new recipes that use cream cheese. I like to think that they are a little healthier with the additional cream cheese in every bite. :rolleyes1 :laughing:

Cheesecake Cookies
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 ounces (1 stick) butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 box yellow butter cake mix

Blend first four ingredients. Add cake mix. Drop by spoonsful onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees F. Don't let get too brown.

(This is actually the same recipe posted as Cream Cheese Cookies, in post #119, without the sprinkles, and with vanilla extract added. )

Chocolate Cream Cheese Cookies
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (18.5 ounce) box devil's food (or chocolate) cake mix

Blend butter and cheese together. Blend in egg and vanilla extract. Add dry cake mix, 1/3 at a time, mixing after each addition. Cover; chill 30 minutes.

Drop by scant teaspoonsful onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from baking sheet.

Makes 6 to 8 dozen.

Pina Colada Cookies
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup shredded coconut

Cream butter and cream cheese in mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Blend in egg yolk, pineapple juice and rum extract. Add cake mix one-third at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in coconut. Chill, covered, for 30 minutes.

Drop by teaspoonsful onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for 11 minutes or until light brown. Cool on cookie sheet for several minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 4 dozen

Lemon Cheese Bars
1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Mix dry cake mix, 1 egg and oil until crumbly; reserve one cup of mixture. Pat remaining mixture lightly into an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Beat cheese, sugar, lemon juice and remaining egg until light and smooth. Spread over baked layer. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 15 minutes longer. When cool, cut into bars.

(This is a variation from the Sunshine Lemon Bars in post #126, for those who do not have lemon cake mix or sweetened condensed milk. :) )

Yet another slightly healthier cookie because of the oatmeal. :rolleyes1

Fudgy Oatmeal Chip Cookies

1 devil's food cake mix
1 1/2 cups quick cooking or old fashioned oats, uncooked
3/4 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups mini-chocolate chips
1 cup caramel chips (OR butterscotch chips OR peanut butter chips.)

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl combine all ingredients except chocolate and caramel chips; mix thoroughly. Stir in chips. Drop by heaping teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet, remove to rack and cool completely. Store in airtight container.

Makes 3 dozen cookies

:thumbsup2

Subbing since I saw this mentioned on the CB. Now I need to go buy more cake mix! Thank you!

I saw this too, having to bring 4 doz cookies to church tomorrow, so I used devil's food, w/ extra cocoa plus I found Andies mints in the aisle with the choc chips. After rolling them into balls, I rolled them in powder sugar. I haven't tasted them yet, too hot, but they smell so good! Thanks for the ideas! :cool1:

I just wanted to update my previous post, my DH ate by Choc Andes cookies and said they are his new favorite cookie. This comes from someone who is very pickey about his food. I don't like choc/mint together, but had to try one and I too liked them.:goodvibes

Just got an email from Betty Crocker and I thought you guys might like this one. I can't wait to try it. One of the reviews said it works great with canned apples to make it even easier. Just omit the spices.

Southern Apple Crumble

425 Ratings
71 Reviews
Prize-Winning Recipe 2008! Meet the easy cookie-mix cousin to warm and spicy apple crisp.

Prep Time:20 min
Start to Finish:1 hr 20 min
Makes:9 servings

Filling
3 large apples, peeled, coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
Topping
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® oatmeal cookie mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup chopped pecans

1. Heat oven to 300°F. Spray bottom and sides of 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In large bowl, toss filling ingredients. Spread mixture in baking dish.
2. In same large bowl, stir cookie mix and melted butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
3. Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with pecans. Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Heat oven to 325°F.

Special Touch
Serve with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
Editor's Reco
Use fresh peaches for the apples for a juicy peach crumble.

© 2008 ®/TM General Mills All Rights Reserved

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter