Contemporary - smallest DVC?

vascubaguy

DIS Veteran
I was just thinking... if the rumors actually become reality and they make the contemporary wings into a DVC... how many rooms do you think it might have? Would it be the smallest DVC? and how many weeks do you think it would take to sell out?

From the impressions I have gotten, if a DVC was on the monorail... it would be the place to be!

I don't know the answers to any of your questions, but with gas prices projected to rise even higher for the forseeable future, maybe at some point a monorail expansion will make more financial sense. I imagine the fleet of busses eats up a tremendous amount of fuel each day.

Each Garden Wing has about 300 standard guest rooms.

tjkraz said:
Each Garden Wing has about 300 standard guest rooms.

Are you sure about that?? The whole resort has roughly 1000 rooms. That would mean that the wings have 600 rooms and the tower 400 rooms, hard to believe .... but I suppose its possible

From Allearsnet:

The Contemporary Resort has two sections. The Tower is 14 stories tall and has approximately 500 guest rooms. The Tower rooms have 2 views, Bay Lake or Magic Kingdom/Parking Lot. The Garden Wings are located to the North and South of the Tower and have a combined total of approximately 500 rooms. The Garden rooms have either a water, garden or parking lot view.

I think it's a little higher than 250 per wing, so figure somewhere between 250 and 300. ;)

Since we are all speculating, I thought I read some additional speculation that Disney would knock down the North wing and put a new structure there. Again, I am just speculating. :goodvibes

JandD Mom said:
Since we are all speculating, I thought I read some additional speculation that Disney would knock down the North wing and put a new structure there. Again, I am just speculating. :goodvibes

A possibility. Still no announcement regarding any work to refurb the North Wing, just the South Wing and Tower. There is a thread on the rumors board where the poster claims to have seen surveyors outside the wings and in the parking lot. Scoping out potential future construction? Maybe.

Stay tuned.

just back and my guide said CR is a GO, and the only question is when, not if. He said he has a 5 page waiting list for CR, and that DVC predicts that it will sell CR out in 4-5 months. Now all I have to do is start saving for my add on!! :goodvibes Hopefully this will all come to pass. How nice it will be to have DVC on the monorail!

Rozzie said:
just back and my guide said CR is a GO, and the only question is when, not if. He said he has a 5 page waiting list for CR, and that DVC predicts that it will sell CR out in 4-5 months. Now all I have to do is start saving for my add on!! :goodvibes Hopefully this will all come to pass. How nice it will be to have DVC on the monorail!
Funny, I posed million dollar question to my guide today before I committed to an add-on @ BWV. First, I made my guide swear on his Mickey ears that the Contemporary was not a done deal/soon to be announced, etc. He indicated that they don't get the info until it's released to the public. Additionally, he checked as to whether there's an official "waiting list", no again! Think you're better off adding on now & selling off the contract in the event the CRV comes to fruition. Also asked re Eagle Pines, he said nothing has been announced.

Yeah, Eagle Oines was once a go. But there was a good reason for abandoning that concept. They were offered the old Disney Institute (now SSR). Though I am a big supporter of the rumor that the CR will be the next DVC at WDW, I will not take it as fact until demolition & construction begin.

But it sure is fun speculating.

keishashadow said:
Funny, I posed million dollar question to my guide today before I committed to an add-on @ BWV. First, I made my guide swear on his Mickey ears that the Contemporary was not a done deal/soon to be announced, etc. He indicated that they don't get the info until it's released to the public. Additionally, he checked as to whether there's an official "waiting list", no again! Think you're better off adding on now & selling off the contract in the event the CRV comes to fruition. Also asked re Eagle Pines, he said nothing has been announced.

I am as confused as anyone else when it comes to CR. My guide did hint that it is not a official waiting list, just one he is keeping personally of one's to call when it is announced. of course, I added my name. He seemed very sure of CR. I left skeptical and Back in my mind, I won't believe it till' we see the official release. He even brought it up, I didn't even ask about it---which confused me more. I guess it will be one of those special projects that will get scratched and added a 1000 times before it comes to pass. I am not going to wait to do an add on at CR, I allready licking my chops for a resale at OKW. :) congrats on your addon at BWV, I hear they are hard to come by! :goodvibes

As I think I posted before, a good friend of mine who is a mid-level muckety muck at DVC corp office has heard nothing to confirm this rumor.

But wouldn't it be cool .... :rolleyes1

as much as I would love a DVC Cont - well - as had been say if the building is torn down - then I would expect an annoucement.

but if they are just rehabing this side (like they are presently doing the South Wing) - then forget.

It isn't going to happen.

boy your guide really seem confidence that it will happen. :cool1:

I really don't need it for a few years - so I am happy nothing has been announced.

but the time the budget can handle it - Cont will probably be sold out - if it is anytime next year.

Rozzie said:
I am as confused as anyone else when it comes to CR. My guide did hint that it is not a official waiting list, just one he is keeping personally of one's to call when it is announced. of course, I added my name. He seemed very sure of CR. I left skeptical and Back in my mind, I won't believe it till' we see the official release. He even brought it up, I didn't even ask about it---which confused me more. I guess it will be one of those special projects that will get scratched and added a 1000 times before it comes to pass. I am not going to wait to do an add on at CR, I allready licking my chops for a resale at OKW. :) congrats on your addon at BWV, I hear they are hard to come by! :goodvibes
Yes, we've been waiting some time for our UY to open up...we're told contracts over 100 pts are difficult. Since the computers' are down, were still not 100% sure whether we got the points; although they did put the charge thru to my checking account. :rolleyes:

keishashadow said:

Being a salesperson myself, if I were to have a customer that is ready to purchase now, but could be willing to wait a little bit if there is a probability of something better in the near future been announced, I would certainly play the part of the fool that knows nothing about it. Why would I do something to stall a sale on something that it's still a rumor and who knows when or if will ever be announced? It's the nature of the saleperson. Remember we make commissions and are measured by our bosses based on actual sales, not in the probability of future sales.

when the symbol for DVC was first seem - 3 Volcanos on an island - I certainly thought Poly...

but there is no room for new construction at the Polyn. the Polyn never has any trouble filling it rooms - most of the time at the rack rate. (unbelieveable to me).

with the old Cont rooms WDW had to offer the Cont at a lower price in the begining then later add some discounts to get it full.

hopefully with the new rooms - the Cont will live up its name and will be in demand again at full price!!!

my definition of full price -
Polyn garden = Cont wings,
Polyn Lagoon = Cont Tower.

If the Cont can do this - then I don't really think there will be the need for a DVC Cont.

Although I still hope for one!!! :rolleyes: :bitelip:

It may actually make good business sense to let DVC have the North Wing. I assume that DVC would have to buy the property and those funds could be used to finance the current refurb of the CR. Essentially this would mean that they can post a sign in the lobby:

Shiny new CR lobby and rooms provided and paid for by DVC owners. :teeth:

By converting the North Wing to DVC also provides another advantage. The total number of rooms, not including DVC, would be reduced from ~1,000 to ~750 (sorry if my numbers are off). This seems to be more in line with the rest of the deluxe resorts. With fewer rooms (supply and demand) and a totally re-done (and looking great) CR, rooms can be rented at a premium. Rates at the CR, including the south wing, would be similar to rates at the Poly and GF.

Now add to this that fact that DVC is on the monorail. So what if there are not many rooms. It is a great selling feature. Buy at SSR, or anywhere else that comes along, and you can stay at the CRV anytime you want. At least that is the spin the guides would put on it.

Turning the North Wing to DVC could be a win-win for everyone.

Stitch 03 said:
Turning the North Wing to DVC could be a win-win for everyone.

Unless I'm the Disney resorts unit. With the cash rates that could be demanded for refurbished rooms in that location, I certainly wouldn't give up the property cheap. The real question is whether that land is more valuable with $400+ per night resort rooms for the next 50 years, or in selling it off to DVC.

And then there's the question of whether DVC is even interested in building properites that small.

I don't see the number of rooms at the hotel as being a negative...particularly if demand is such to fill those rooms.

Latest posts

facebook twitter