Container Gardening

Mrs.Reese

My name is Dr. Reese and I
Life has finally allowed me some free time to do more hobbies. One thing I've always been interested in is container gardening particularly for vegetables and fruit. I'm sure someone here knows how to start. I have a screened in patio and prefer to keep everything in there. I live in Florida where we are still preheating for summer. What would you start with? Tips? Tricks? I don't want anything crazy just want to start small.

Another vote for tomatoes particularly the little ones.
Herbs that you cook with are goodies, I have an indoor garden system with basil, parsley, thyme and oregano among others. Just be sure to grow only what you use.
Zucchini are simple to grow and prolific. Explains why people often gift them to neighbors 😉.

I have a garden but still do a lot of container gardening to maximize my space. I have successfully grown tomatoes, lettuce, potatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and herbs in containers. The key is getting a large enough container and making sure you water regularly. I also do not recommend terracotta or pottery containers as they dry out quicker than plastic.

I am not familiar with growing seasons in Florida. But I planted my cold weather crops in April and the rest went in mid May and I am CT.

If you have any questions let me know. :-)

I've also had success with tomatoes. I just repurpose a couple of kitty litter buckets each year and put them on my back deck. (My DH drills drainage holes in the bottom for me.)

I buy already-started plants, which I think is a great way to begin if you're new, and tomatoes like something to climb, so you'll want "cages" or posts or something.

I do almost all of my gardening in containers. We have a lot of deer in our area and they will eat anything they can get to. I have a fairly large deck that is up one story so I do tomato plants and an herb garden there (several varieties of basil, oregano, thyme, cilantro, dill, mint, rosemary and parsley). Mint should go in its own pot as it spreads like crazy and will crowd the others out. I do really well. I also do flowers.

I buy tomato plants already started. I prefer small tomatoes—cherry, grape, pear—mostly for salads and snacking. There are two types of tomato plants—I think determinate and indeterminate. Determinate are often suggested for containers because they don’t get very big. In my experience they also don’t produce as much fruit. Indeterminate will require staking, but are far more prolific and I do not have any trouble growing them. I have been doing this 20 years or so. I will say sometimes tomato plants get some sort of blight/sickness and you lose most of your plants. This has happened to me 2 times that I can recall. Keeping them staked with good airflow seems to help.

The only things I do from seed now are cilantro—I plant a little of that every few weeks as it goes to seed fast—sunflowers and sometimes dill. Many of the herbs come back every year. This year I only bought parsley, rosemary and basil. The oregano, thyme and mint reseeded and I have been using it for weeks.

I have tried cucumbers and peppers but not had much luck with those. The cucumbers seem great at first and then after an initial flush of cucumbers the plants just die. The pepper plants always looked good but very few peppers. Not worth the space since mine is so limited.

Good luck—I love going out on my deck and gathering up some herbs for a salad or recipe. And nothing better than a warm tomato ripened in the sun.

Last edited:
I pared down my gardening to containers and one raised bed. I have tomatoes, basil, and lettuce. Once the lettuce is gone I am going to put in some peppers for salsa.

Most of my garden is in containers. I've grown tomatoes, various herbs, peppers and chilis, cucumbers, various types of eggplant, cantaloupe, watermelon, various peas, summer and winter squash, beans, and strawberries in containers on my patio and porch.

I use SIPs containers (sub irrigated planters). You can make your own in big buckets, but I use the City Pickers planters sold at Home Depot. I've also bought one garden patch GrowBox. I prefer the City Pickers because they give instructions that don't require future purchases. I've just followed those directions for the other box, but it hits me the wrong way to try to make people forever dependent on buying specific products to use their box. The boxes are all sort of expensive but last several years and truly make gardening almost hands off other than filling the reservoirs. I have had one container develop a leak, so I converted it to a top watering container. I don't think SIPs matters that much if you're willing to really watch the soil moisture, but it's the only way I've successfully grown cucumbers in containers. In regular containers, mine have always turned bitter when the weather got hot (something they do when distressed).

I have had great luck with small tomatoes. Large ones, I just can't grow in the ground or in SIPs. I've had San Marzanos and heirloom tomatoes in SIPs containers that looked like they were doing great, and they all got blossom end rot at the last minute. I suspect the roots found the water chamber underneath and started sucking up too much water, causing them to not have enough calcium. But idk.

I live in the pnw, so I was shocked to find melons that grow well. They were miniature--personal sized cantaloupe. :lovestruc

I used to grow just crazy amounts of chilis and peppers--lots of hard to find varieties, too--but don't anymore. For me, they grow great in containers. I grew a lot in non-SIPS containers (which have very specific fertilizing instructions) and found that using some sort of "bloom and blossom" type fertilizer helped the plants have enough fruit. I wish I could remember the name of it, but we're out and I can't remember what it was called.

As for choosing what to grow--cherry tomatoes are pretty easy. Herbs are a big win, too, since they cost so much in stores. If you eat any veggies that aren't easy to get where you live, grow those (for us, that's usually holy basil, fenugreek, and Asian eggplants, but everyone would be different. I'm lazing out an only growing the eggplant this year.)

I also bought a dwarf blueberry and raspberry that are in containers on my patio.

Blueberry
View attachment 862868

Raspberry
View attachment 862869

My daughter bought me 2 blueberry bushes for my birthday last May, 1 that produced earlier & the other about a month later. I also planted them in containers on my patio. I got a few berries at a time from them last summer. We’re in Western NY & I was worried how they would do with our cold snowy winter. We covered them with burlap & moved the containers right against the house. They survived & are doing great. The early producer has so many berries. I can’t wait til they start ripening!

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter