Contacted DCP via email...

Just_Trish

Mouseketeer
...and couldn't get my questions answered! I got a very nice, albeit unhelpful, response to my questions. Perhaps some of you may know the answers?

- If one is exclusively taking online only college courses, is that acceptable?

- What if a student wants to enroll as a 'non-degree seeking' student, taking individual courses from an accredited community college for personal/professional growth...would they be eligible to apply to the Disney College Program?

- And if so, is there a minimum number of courses they need to be enrolled in at the time of applying?

- What about those enrolled in 'Certificate Programs' through an accredited university, (for example, a Hospitality Management Certificate Program)?

The emailed response basically only contained info about program dates, etc. It DID address that online classes were OK, just didn't answer my other questions. My DD is trying to avoid the typical college route (and the debt that comes with it!) and is trying to figure out what steps she needs to take to meet the requirements so she can do the DCP in 2015.

Thank you very much for any help! :)

As far as I know for the CP as long as you are enrolled in at least one college class (degree seeking or not) from an accredited school, you're in the clear. With some PIs I know you must be degree seeking but that's a whole different story.

As far as the certificate program, I'm not sure about that. I would try calling if I were you, they are usually very helpful over the phone.

- If one is exclusively taking online only college courses, is that acceptable?
As they said in your response, yes online only is fine.

- What if a student wants to enroll as a 'non-degree seeking' student, taking individual courses from an accredited community college for personal/professional growth...would they be eligible to apply to the Disney College Program?

Yes. They don't care what sort of degree program, if any, you're enrolled in. They just need you to be a student somewhere. Community colleges are perfectly acceptable.

- And if so, is there a minimum number of courses they need to be enrolled in at the time of applying?
You could sign up for a yoga class at a community college and be eligible for the program. There's no minimum beyond just one class.

- What about those enrolled in 'Certificate Programs' through an accredited university, (for example, a Hospitality Management Certificate Program)?
Certificate programs work and I know from experience, having completed a CP just after finishing a paramedic cert program.

...and couldn't get my questions answered! I got a very nice, albeit unhelpful, response to my questions. Perhaps some of you may know the answers?

I'm going to guess you didn't contact the best group for education questions, the education team. If you contacted recruiting and they didn't pass it on to the education team, then I'm not surprised that you didn't get the exact answers you were seeking. They are great about recruiting related stuff, not so much on education/housing.

Education can be reached via wdw.disney.education.ops@disney.com

Yes. They don't care what sort of degree program, if any, you're enrolled in. They just need you to be a student somewhere. Community colleges are perfectly acceptable.

You could sign up for a yoga class at a community college and be eligible for the program. There's no minimum beyond just one class.

Certificate programs work and I know from experience, having completed a CP just after finishing a paramedic cert program.

Thank you so much BeepBeep! I really appreciate the info and my daughter will be thrilled.

I am a bit surprised though, because I thought on the application and phone interview it asked questions about your major, etc... and I also thought they checked with your school to make sure you were a student. I would think if they called and the school told them you were only enrolled in yoga (LOL!) that they wouldn't consider you...

And thank you KHancock! You are right - I only emailed the main recruiting address. Thanks for posting the correct one! :)

I also thought they checked with your school to make sure you were a student. I would think if they called and the school told them you were only enrolled in yoga (LOL!) that they wouldn't consider you...

They don't call. They have a site set up for their school contacts to use (disneyeducationconnection.com). The person at the school is supposed to log in and verify that everyone on their list meets Disney's requirements and any other requirement the school may have.

I'm going to guess you didn't contact the best group for education questions, the education team. If you contacted recruiting and they didn't pass it on to the education team, then I'm not surprised that you didn't get the exact answers you were seeking. They are great about recruiting related stuff, not so much on education/housing.

Education can be reached via wdw.disney.education.ops@disney.com

I am sad to report that I got the EXACT same canned response from that email address as I did the recruiting address. *sigh* I would really like to have their actual confirmation before DD goes and gets her hopes up...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter