Considering DVC, Some questions before I commit to offers.

I have April use year at akl. I plan to buy more points at vgf2 also April. What this let’s me do is pool my points at the 7 month mark for other resorts. It also means making split stays easier.

my game plan being to book 11 months out at vgf and akl so I can do split stays but I’ll be able to book both resorts the same day

What is the significance of getting points in the same use year? Is it just for the convenience of having them all loaded up at once?
No. If you have contracts in different use years, they are difficult to use the points together. Same resort, two use years, you cannot use them together easily at 11 months. Different resorts and different UY hard to use together at 7. Takes jumping through hoops and calls to MS. Not what you want to be doing for priority reservations or hard to get units... like CCV studios.

Wow, tons of good info here. Thank you all very much.

I think a small resale to see how it fits our lifestyle, then possibly a direct buy at the new Grand Forlidian if the prices make sense is exactly what I'm looking for.

And just for my clarification, am I correct in my understanding that if I am a member, I can't pool points from direct + indirect together? for instance, I buy a 100pt resale, and a 150pt direct. I cannot use them for a 250pt stay at rivera, but can use them for a 250pt stay at grand floridian right ?

If your resale is VGF and your direct purchase is VGF - and both have the same use year month and are titled the same (under the same membership) - then they can be used together to book VGF at 11 months out.

If your resale is non-VGF and your direct purchase is VGF - and both have the same use year month and are titled the same (under the same membership) - then they can be used together to book whatever is available at 7 months out (besides RIV as the resale restrictions will always apply to those points).

If your resale is VGF and your direct purchase is VGF - and you have different use year months (under different memberships) - then they can both be used to book VGF at 11 months out, but you cannot pool the points together and it gets more complicated. But you can book 2 nights with your resale contract and 4 nights with your direct contract and ask MS to link the 2 separate reservations.

I read somewhere, but I can't find it. Do the early morning / late night hours apply to resale customers? Perhaps what I was reading was just speculation.

I read somewhere, but I can't find it. Do the early morning / late night hours apply to resale customers? Perhaps what I was reading was just speculation.

The old version applied to anyone staying on site.

The new morning hours are for anyone on site.

The new late hours are for deluxe guests. That's anyone staying in any DVC room: with cash, with their points, with someone else's points. You don't have to be a member at all.

Thank you everyone. I've decided on copper creek as it's just a cheaper buy right now and if this turns out to work for us, I will add other resorts when it makes sense. It seems resale is absolutely the way to go for me since i'm flying from new hampshire once a year an annual pass just doesn't make sense and there are no other perks that make the direct premium worthwhile. That can change later, but it seems buying now will lock in some rates so to speak because the resorts have gotten so expensive it's not hard to justify this.

Thanks again and see you at the parks!

num, good luck.

I had many of these questions myself a year ago, and there are ranges of (good) opinions. I still haven't bought, but continue to examine options. Wife and I fell in love with Beach Club two weeks back, which seemed to both encourage us to move forward with a clear winner and clear interest - until I realized Beach Club's DVC contract terminates in 2042. Which would be fine for us but not for our son, who is very interested (and gets a vote). Back to the drawing board. I did decide early on to go resale (more buying power for less money). I've also rented points twice (both times between 11 and 7 months), which I recommend if you are trying to find the right home resort. The other major decider (which is an unknown for us, hence our long, long, long engagement) is frequency of visits. We need to fly to WDW, so I'm a once a year guy. If we could drive, this would be an easier decision. Just a heads up, DVC direct will always be offering deals, so make sure the resort is what is right for you. The timing always works itself out, no worries. Keep us posted on the journey. Until I commit myself, I live vicariously through others, which is 75% of why this board exists :)

Just to clarify, the gold pass was a unique pass only available to DVC and FL residents. The $400 difference was not a discount as no one else could buy it at a higher price.

That is the same of the Socerer. pass. That pass is only supposed to be purchased by those with a qualified membership.

Now, people not officially eligible have been sold the pass. Whether this will stop at some point or continue, we have no idea. I would not buy resale expecting to buy that pass as long as the language from DVC says you can’t.

The discount previously given to DVC was off platinum level passes and for tthe Incredi pass which is the equivalent that is now gone.

So for discounts and such, while they exist, you are guaranteed them as someone who holds the blue card. White card is hit or miss.

To the OP, the biggest benefit for direct is the ability to stay at RIV and future resorts, as well as any other special events they decide to run.

And, RIV can be similar in cost compared to the resales you mention.

Having said that, if you don’t see yourself wanting to stay there, then direct probably doesn’t make sense since both CCV and VGF are difficult for studios especially if you want to travel mid September to mid January. Owning there if that is where you want to stay is important.

Given the new rooms being added to VGF, I’d probably look into that further over CCV.

As already mentioned, no use for the Disney Collection. While it is not the same value as using for DVC rooms, I have done a few 3 night cruises using points and it was well worth it. It replaced a trip to WDW and shortened another but in the end, it worked out fine.

So I wouldn’t go into DVC with the trading to those options as a regular thing, but for the occasional cruise it might work out.

Oh, and to add, I do not think they are selling VGF to new buyers right now as the new points will go on sale at some point in the next 3 to 6 months.

Good luck!
Personally, I feel that the long term benefits of being able to book the Riviera, DLT, and whatever new resorts Disney will build down the line is more significant than many resale buyers believe. Though we don’t own at the Riviera, my wife and I love the resort and are certainly happy to book it occasionally at 7 months with our direct points. As a DVC member, and of course this is very subjective, it wouldn’t sit well with me if I couldn’t book all the resorts.

Though we own way more resale contracts than direct, we enjoy having the blue card. The little perks like moonlight magic are super fun, and the ability to buy the sorcerer’s pass provides for us substantial savings since we go to WDW for about two weeks twice a year. I know all this stuff is small potatoes in comparison to some resale savings, but we like it.

Yeah, i can see that. Disney pulled a fast one with limiting Riveria and it seems they may use more stick and less carrot to get people to buy direct from now on. The concierge collection looks really attractive but, im saving a minimum of 8000 if i go resale. If they ever decide to really bring back any incentives i’d be happy to buy direct but until then, I feel like im encouraging disneys restrictions if i bought direct. just wont do it.

Personally, I feel that the long term benefits of being able to book the Riviera, DLT, and whatever new resorts Disney will build down the line is more significant than many resale buyers believe. Though we don’t own at the Riviera, my wife and I love the resort and are certainly happy to book it occasionally at 7 months with our direct points. As a DVC member, and of course this is very subjective, it wouldn’t sit well with me if I couldn’t book all the resorts.

Though we own way more resale contracts than direct, we enjoy having the blue card. The little perks like moonlight magic are super fun, and the ability to buy the sorcerer’s pass provides for us substantial savings since we go to WDW for about two weeks twice a year. I know all this stuff is small potatoes in comparison to some resale savings, but we like it.

Looking at Buying dct Riviera contract because of this. Won't be a factor the next 20 years but once those 2042 resorts points expire I can see disney putting them in Riveria side of point usage. Limiting your availability for resale legacy resorts.

Yeah, they are going for the FOMO in people. I'm perfectly fine with the resorts as they stand. If disney wants to use more carrot and less stick. I'd be more persuaded to buy direct. 2042 is a while off and it's not clear what will happen there. That's 20 years from now, my kids will be grown and who knows what I'll want by that time. But I can say with certainty that staying at riveria isn't worth the savings, i'll just pay cash. If they ever limited any of the monorail resorts, that's a horse of a different color and i'd probably back out entirely. This isn't something you need, it's something you want. There is a perceived value. So everyone will land differently.

It's a luxury no matter how you cut it.

When we traveled as a family, we went to WDW every 2 or 3 years. Our kids will say we went to Disney 'all the time' - LOL. While our eldest enjoys WDW as much as us, our younger two prefer the themed resorts and restaurants versus the parks. We had looked into joining DVC when our kids were young and just couldn't justify it as DVC is only the room cost and we'd still be purchasing air, park tickets and food for our family. At that time, extended family life and school/sports activities were so busy we couldn't see going every year.

We joined DVC after our kids were grown. The only plus about direct is that it is completely unrestricted and a fast 'purchase to use' experience. We pay for cruises OOP, only using DVC pre-cruise and post cruise. We still look at, and stay, on cash every couple of years. We just popped for a 5D SW Vacation at WDW Dolphin $1009 (no tickets - we've APs).

My only advice about buying resale is to purchase where you think the kids, and yourselves, would want to stay every vacation so if you are unable to switch out at 7-months you're always at a place you all enjoy. That makes the restrictions obsolete.

Buy DVC to use for DVC and nothing else. They are too expensive to trade out for Disney or other vacations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter