Considering buying at my age?

L8blumr2

Mouseketeer
Hello all, I'm 44, married with 4 sons, ages 23, 20, 18 (currently on College Program), and 15. I'm thinking of buying (finally have the cash!) and have been for a while. Of course, I feel I'm not the right "age" (should have done it while they were little). My family is in a state of transition with the boys getting older and having their own lives...working, going to school, moving in and out of the house! :)

I'm interested in hearing from those who have bought at a similar time in their lives. I realize that most folks on this board will say that it was the best decision for them, but maybe I just need that push! It's also hard for me to decide what points we would need because we are in "transition". Not everyone goes on all vacations anymore.

Thanks for your input!

We purchased in 2003 when our DD's were 15 and 13 and we were 47. We took two trips together as a family. Life has changed with the oldest in college and different spring breaks, school trips, etc. Last year I took my younger DD and a friend and this year I will be doing the same. DH is staying at home with the dog! (actually he is taking a ski trip earlier and can't get the time off).

One of the best parts is I feel I have a place to bring my DD's that I feel comfortable going to alone. We have transportation, entertainment and a nice place to stay. As far as timeshares, this is one that works well for us as our schedules will never be the same and we can go for 1 night or 10 nights in different accommodations to suit our needs.

If you enjoy Disney and think you will for years to come it could be the right fit. You may try renting points to see if you like it (we bought sight unseen - I still can't believe that - it really isn't like us! :rolleyes:).

Well, we bought when our girls were teenagers. So we weren't quite as old when we purchased. But I have to say, that we enjoy the points just as much (maybe more) now that our girls are grown and in their own places. Our daughters are now 22 and 24. We do plan on including them on some trips, especially now that I have a 1 year old grandaughter. But we still take the majority of our trips just the two of us. If you and your spouse still plan on going to WDW at least every other year, it is really a no brainer. And you never know when you might have grandchildren to take to WDW. We have 400 points and they are perfect for our travel needs. It pays for a couple weeks in a 1-bedroom each year or a week in a grand villa for the whole gang. With banking and borrowing you can really customize the type of accomodations and length of your trip each year.

Hello all, I'm 44, married with 4 sons, ages 23, 20, 18 (currently on College Program), and 15. I'm thinking of buying (finally have the cash!) and have been for a while. Of course, I feel I'm not the right "age" (should have done it while they were little). My family is in a state of transition with the boys getting older and having their own lives...working, going to school, moving in and out of the house! :)

I'm interested in hearing from those who have bought at a similar time in their lives. I realize that most folks on this board will say that it was the best decision for them, but maybe I just need that push! It's also hard for me to decide what points we would need because we are in "transition". Not everyone goes on all vacations anymore.

Thanks for your input!

My DH and I bought last year under the same promotion they are running now. At the time my kids were 13,15,18 and 22. We love going to Disney and know that we will for many years to come and cannot wait for the day we can take our grandchildren.

The first trip we took was just DH and I, no kids. We had never done that before and we had so much fun. It was more relaxing and we got to enjoy the resort more because we were not doing all the things the kids like to do. We slept in, had nice leisurely dinners. It was wonderful!

The next trip we have planned is a family vacation with the kids and my oldest son, who is returning from Afghanistan and his new wife who have never been to Disney.

If we did not own DVC we wouldn't be able to do this in such a nice way.
Owning DVC later in life does has it's advantages because most people are more financially secure and do not always have to work around school shedules. We are looking forward to spending many many years enjoying DVC.

Even though some say it's not the best use of points we are looking forward to a cruise someday too.

My husband and I (we're empty nesters) bought in 2005, and we're both in our 50s.

DH and I were 51 and nearly 50 when we purchased, and now we are 61 and nearly 60. Definitely not a mistake for us! We LOVE it! Our kids were grown then, and now we have one pushing 40, but they still enjoy coming with us as well.

We just bought in and I am 46 and DH is 51. Our kids are only 8 and 5 so maybe that outweighs the age thing, but we expect to keep going on a regular basis even after the kids have grown. We like WDW with or without kids (and yes we went before we had kids).:)

You are only as old as you feel.

My husband and I (we're empty nesters) bought in 2005, and we're both in our 50s.

WE bought in Dec '05, and we also are "almost" empty nesters...:) We are 60 and 51 , but feel we get younger every trip we take to see the MOUSE...:cool1: We will, of course, pass this wonderful place to our kids and grandkids.

Bob

We're 43 with kids 10 & 5 and are patiently waiting for them to grow up so we can go without them! ;)

With Starr W. HA! We are 40 with kids 11 and 6. We just purchased this week!

I bought last year at the age of 40. Our kids are 13,15 & 21. We enjoy going to the parks with and without the kids. Disney is so much more to do and offer then just ride the rides. We enjoy taking the kids too, but I think its more for us then them! We have three small trips planned for the two of us and one family trip planned for end of October (food & wine festival). If you love going to Disney, with or without the kids, go for it!

Just bought in Nov. of last year at age 54. We are empty nesters also, but still have 2 kids at home!!:thumbsup2

We are 46 & 45 and just bought. Looking to trips with our grown kids. Looking at future trips with grandkids and staying in one place (grand villa). Looking at going for just the two of us (anniversaries). Looking at using points for other travel & cruises. In other words no matter what your age, if you like going to the Mouse and don't care to stay in the Value resorts, then this offers a relaxing atmosphere, lots of space and tons of flexibility.

We bought when we were both in our late 50's and celebrated DH's 60th birthday with a 3 night DCL cruise on points and a night at VWL. We have added on points because we love WDW and DVC and our DGC have just become old enough to join us with their parents on extended family vacations.

Owning DVC has been a very positive and worthwhile experience for us.

Bobbi:goodvibes

We just bought last year at the ages of 50 and 51. Our kids are 20 & 17.
Our oldest daughter is a Disney Fanatic and will probably always be glad to use our points. I am also looking forward to treating grandchildren. Have a best girl friend from college living in Ft. Lauderdale. Instead of always staying with her, I can treat once in a while in Orlando. Hope to be using my DVC for at least 30 more years! If not, my kids, or their kids.
Go for it!:thumbsup2

My aunt and uncle just bought in and they are 66 and 58 years old respectively, no kids. They just love it. They have the time of their lives.

Bought first contract at age 54 and third one at age 59. Have had DH and I trips, trips with grown children and young grandchildren, trips with other relatives and trips with grown children and 20 yo DGD just in this past year. There is no way to tell you how many points you need. It all depends on how often you plan to travel, how big your groups might be and what time of year you want to travel. Use the trip calculators and plan out some trips that you think you might do and that can give you a better picture. If you plan to go every year you will need more points than if you go every 2 or 3 years and can plan around banking and borrowing. Good luck with you decision.

Disney is for kids of ALL ages. If you love Disney and plan on going every year or two yourselves - jump in. You are still very young at 44, that is at least 40 years of Magic in front of you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter