Comcast is trying to buy Disney, is it time to sell???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think these posts are all panic attacks, some people are just wondering out loud what will eventually happen. I for one am not having a panic attack, but I have an investment in Disney, stocks, DVC, Florida residents pass, etc. and when Disney is in the news, I like to read and comment about it. these are Disney boards, and that's what its all about! :smooth: :)

It is only my opinion but I believe much of the success of Disney is because it has a reputation of being a family oriented business that was started by a family oriented owner (Walt) and until recently had a family representative (Roy) on the board. I personally purchased DVC because I felt it would be around for a long time to come. I am sure it will still exist because Comcast will not want to simply throw away the value of their investment. That being said I am appalled that a company such as Comcast may be in the driver's seat. Has anyone ever thought of their cable tv company as a family company. Do any of us even know who the heads of the cable companies are. On the contrary cable ompanies are among some of the most heartless business entities on the planet. The only time we have a connection to them is when the notice for a rate increase comes down to us from Mt Olympus and we have no chocie but to accept it. The only way this takeover will be palatable to me is if Comcast has the presence of mind to get Roy Disney to be a major player on the new board or to at least have a major voice in the new Comcast-disney company.

I am not panicking, but my Disney stock and especially my DVC amounts to a bunch of money. If this process takes the Disney stock to $30 or $31, I am selling...that is about what it is worth. If the deal falls through, the stock will drop. If the deal is successful, I don't want to own Comcast stock.
Now to DVC...IF, and that is a big if, Comcast is successful, then I will sell some of my DVC, not all, but I don't want that much of my money invested for the next 40 years in Comcast. Comcast has been a successful company, but never run anything "Disney" like...everything they take over, they strip down and kill aspects like customer service.
In my opinion, it would be best for Disney to find another company to merge with and stop this deal (Disney doesn't have the fiscal capability to do it by itself). Maybe the deal wouldn't be as much money, but would leave key aspects alone. Maybe they could split out the ABC, ESPN, etc parts and give that to Comcast, then leave the parts that are Disney to us alone.

Hmmm... "CVC", "The Villas at Comcast's Wilderness Lodge", and "Walt Commie World"... :scratchin :scared1:

I also believe that IF this happens, it indeed MAY work out for the better. I think Roy and Stan are in the mix somewhere... ;)

I am glad to get all this info on my favorite web site- "COMboards.dis" :p

Don't sell . . .

1) You have a contract for services, these cannot be cancelled.
2) ComCast will keep the businesses running.
3) Overall, I think Disney will be improved through ComCast.

Originally posted by CarolA
I am sitting here LOL.

I am sorry, but every time there is something in the news about Disney people have a panic attack!

I don't think this is just "news" about Disney. It looks like there is at least some type of movement taking place that could change the way Disny operates.

I try not to react to a situation before it actually happens and give it a chance to work out. However, I have to say that I will be watching this one closely. This is one situation where I could see myself jumping the gun (if the deal w/ Comcast was approved) before it is given a chance to work out or fail. I think Comcast is honestly the worst business out there. If this really happened, I can't see it as being a positive for Disney.

Lisa

Sell DVC? I don't think so!
But it might be a good time to sell Disney stock, with the price being inflated by all those people buying in order to vote out Eisner! :teeth:

This is all probably my fault. Every time I get involved with something, well...it's the kiss of doom!! I can join the most profitable group and within weeks...yep, down the tubes. Just bought DVC in Oct and now look. :( Sorry all. But, maybe it could turn out to be a good thing. Maybe, just maybe Roy and Stan are involved somehow, in some way. We can hope.

2 possible scenarios:

1)Roy & Stanley and Comcast have come to some sort of agreement that if Comcast acquires Disney, both Disney & Gold will return to their seats on the Board of Directors and help get the company off the Eisner money train and headed back in the right direction. This could explain why Eisner was so against even having discussions with Comcast.

2)Comcast has no relationship at all with either Roy Disney or Stanley Gold. With the increasing popularity of SaveDisney.com (including the resignations of Disney & Gold) added to last week's announcement of the end of the Disney/Pixar relationship, Comcast could be taking advantage of a very vulnerable Michael Eisner. With all that is going on, will he be able to 'rally the troops' to fend off a hostile takeover? Doubt it.

Personally I hope it's #1.

Originally posted by CarolA
I am sitting here LOL.

I am sorry, but every time there is something in the news about Disney people have a panic attack!

CarolA,

Have you ever had the pleasure of dealing with Comcast in the past?? If you have then you would know that panic is probably a mild term to what we should be feeling.

I'm afraid I don't understand why everyone thinks Roy Disney is some "savior". Sentimentally it's nice to have a real "Disney" name on the door but if they hadn't brought Eisner in many moons ago, chances are we wouldn't be having this discussion since WDW would probably be an aging MK and not much else. Roy's played a game thinking that change would be for the better. I guess he hasn't heard the expression "the devil you know is often better than the devil you don't". No matter what, Roy gets rich. I doubt very much that the Comcast company would give him any real power beyond possibly letting him be a figurehead on the board.

Just wondering if there have been many of these buyout attempts. Anyone have any history on it?

I have to agree with PamOKW - Roy Disney hasn't done anything with the organization to warrant such a reputation. He has spouted a bunch of rhetoric about what we all want to hear, but so has Comcast in its press releases (and I don’t trust them at all).
First blush of this deal, I don’t want anything to do with Comcast, even if a Disney was involved. Maybe it would work out, if I had a crystal ball, I would be a gazillionaire, but I don’t feel good about Comcast taking the Disney name.
The devil I do know is the current Disney, under Eisner – more quality parks (the new parks were Mike’s deal and they every part met the Disney standard – AK is one of our favorites), DVC, more and better movies, etc. I don’t care about the ABC, ESPN, DisTOON, or any of that, just assume see them go – maybe Comcast will settle and just take those pieces and allow Disney to get back to what it does best :)

No matter WHO owns Disney, I am in DVC for the long haul. Do I want Concast to own it? HEck no, but maybe this "rumor will get a few others off their duffs and turn the company around!

Why do you think things are doomed? Do you think Comcast will fire all the WDW CM's and replace them with your local cable guys (or gals)? Disney Corp took over the Walt Disney Company years ago. Money grabbin Disney Corp or money grabbing Comcast.
Mirror images...yes or no?...I say yes.

I don't know about you, but at least we could get FoxNews and HBO in our DVC units. Also, maybe Comcast customers will get a discount on thier annual pass!!

Originally posted by Johnnie Fedora
I don't know about you, but at least we could get FoxNews and HBO in our DVC units.
Well, I have been a Comcast customer for years (not by choice), and I am still waiting to get FOX News! :mad:

MG

It's hard to think about, but this would be the end of "The Walt Disney Company" if it happens... That's a sad thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!