College degrees and Wages

momrek06 said:
IS THAT LIKE AWESOME OR WHAT!!!! He is 23yo and starting at $99,000!!!!
I say they should double his salary if he could figure out a way to count out 30 pills and put them in a bottle in less than a half hour! The pharmacists around here sure can't! :lmao:

I think it is a horrible shame what teachers, police officers and social workers make. I was a corrections officer for a while. I was involved in a fight with a few prisoners and I did not win pretty much got my you know what kicked. I got home from work that night and thought why am I doing this for $11.13 an hour when I have a degree and can do more. I started looking for a new job the next day ended up in retail and now make well over 50,000 and I am no where near the max of my earning potential. I have never looked back and love my job. I think the moral of the story is that every college student needs to listen to their mom. I sure wish I did she always knows best!!!!

maleficent1959 said:
From Career Services at Rutgers:

"Some students want to pursue careers as curators or archivists at the many museums and galleries across the country. Others, knowing they have an eye for art and design, but lacking the interest in pursuing a career as an artist, use art history to hone their intellectual abilities in art for careers in media, advertising, publishing, fashion or design. Another path for historians is art therapy, working with handicapped or disabled people. There is a trend toward providing additional training and certification for this specialty. Others move into careers in business, government and other non-profit organizations."

There is a bigger list of potential careers and employers, including government agencies, as well as jobs recent Rutgers art history graduates have gotten at the site. There's also a similarly huge list for anthropology if he discovers that he likes "digging for pottery" in Crete.

WHY THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! What a fabulous college RUTGERS is, we used to live in Cherry Hill, NJ....so there is HOPE for DS!!!! I believe that some day, one day DS will have his OWN Art Gallery....he will SURPRISE us all, he has a tendency to do that on a pretty regular basis!!! :thumbsup2

Very interested in the responses here. . . I'm starting to feel the stress. Just a week left of classes and I'm down to just one class left that I'll complete this summer so that as of the first week of July, no more school for me. Starting to worry. I've started sending some resumes out. I want to relocate but I'm a little drained and don't want to make a big move with *just* enough money to cover it. I don't want to have to pack up a month later because the money isn't coming in yet. So I'm stuck looking for something around here to get a little cushion so can start looking at better jobs in better areas.

So far. . . not much luck.

I think it also depends on where you live.

In CA as a School Counselor I was making close to $70K. Here in NC that same job would make a little less than $50K even with my experience and TWO Master's Degrees!

My husband was making $90K in SoCal and his exact same job here in NC pays $65K.

So, I think it really depends on location as well.

Dawn

My husband has a BFA in graphic design and being out of school for 13 years - he makes less than $40K a year.

Philadisney said:
:eek: WOW. i have a bachelor of science and i would LOVE to make 50 thou a year. i make about half that. far less than someone in store management apparantly!!!

i have only been out of college a couple years. everyone says "be patient, you'll make more eventually" :rolleyes: i am moving in june becos my paycheck is so small i can no longer afford my teeny 1-bedroom apartment. i have friends who graduated last year with degrees in business & computer science who make tons more than i do. guess i picked the wrong career path!

and i bet you thought television production was a glamorous profession, didn't you! :rotfl:

I graduated last year with a BS in Computer Science. Trust me, the average salary isn't that great. All those articles said that the average starting salary for CS majors was @$50,000. Well, not exactly. If you live in an area where there aren't many students graduating with that degree, then yes. If you are looking for a job in an area heavily populated with CS majors, then you will make just about $35,000. I am friends with many engineering majors and just about none are making close to $50K.

Don't worry about not being able to afford anything. I am in your shoes. I am paying off school loans right now. I knock on wood everyday that my car will last me another couple of years. And I thank my parents for letting me stay home rent free because there is no chance in heck that I can afford a house around here, let alone an apartment.

My dh has a BA in Spanish and a Masters in Business. He has seven years of experience and only makes $50,000 a year. He has a piddly ten percent bonus that he has to pull hair to get every quarter. His previous job was a salary of $36K but he determined his own bonuses there based on production and made more than he makes now. If anyone knows of any decent jobs with these requirements, send them our way:)

I'm among what you would call the "under employed." I graduated 11 years ago from a very reputable private school with a BS in Marketing. Unfortunately, I discovered I HATED Marketing after I graduated :( I then took a job as a case manager at a group home, where I loved working, but couldn't live on the low wages. After that I became a flight attendant, another job I loved, but couldn't continue with due to inner ear problems associated with frequent flying. I'm now working as an administrative assisant, making $38K a year and paying off my huge student loans.

I decided last year to go back to school to be a court reporter. I'm currently working on my associates in court reporting. I will be finished next year and the estimated starting salary for my area is ~$50K. I really wish they had more career counseling in college. When I think of all the years (and money) wasted on that marketing degree it makes my head hurt. :(

I will have to agree that teachers are WAY under paid!!!! My DW's first job was as a teacher and she made less than I did and I didn't have my degree at that time. She is now a Youth Pastor working part time and she makes almost as much as she did working as a full time teacher! I work as a software engineer and make 65K+ a year. I have six years experience in the field. The sad thing is that my mom, who taught Special Ed Reading with 30+ year’s experience, had her Masters +60 hours and was making less than that when she retired. That's messed up!!!!

As I saw in an earlier post one thing that everyone has to keep in mind when looking at what a job makes here and what a job makes there is that the cost of living varies greatly in different areas. Just ‘Google’ Cost of Living Calculator and check it out. I did and I was blown away. To have my same life style that I have in the Midwest I would need to make $214,325 if I were to move to San Francisco, CA. Let me tell you I make NO where near that where I live. I don’t even make into the six figures.

There is no doubt that teachers and other service workers are under paid. If you really want to make your blood boil just think about how much some of the sports figures or Hollywood actors/actresses are being paid and I would be willing to bet that not all of them have college degrees.

I'll be graduating as a BSN-prepared nurse in a few days - and I will start out making a great deal less than $50K! And so many people think nurses are making a killing? LOL :)

(Nevermind that I get depressed just thinking about my $25K in student loans! OMG! :o)

deide71 said:
I think you need to move :goodvibes . I work at a hospital in Minneapolis. The hourly wage for nurses @ our facility starts at 26.00/hr, and tops out at 39.00/hr. I know nurses that make over $100k/yr with overtime and bonuses.

We moved here from MN, my house here would cost almost twice as much in minneapolis/st.paul so it is probably about the same

I am a jr high math teacher with a masters and 10 years experience. If I were full time I would make about 30,000. The nice thing that my degree has provided is opportunity. This year I am working part time teaching math and science enrichment 2 1/2 days a week. I am making about 10,000 and I love having the best of both worlds. (home time and work too) I do think kids need to really think about "the money" when they start school. I can't imagine doing anything but teaching, I love it and I don't care about the money as my reward is the kids BUT I also have a DH who pays the bills! High School Seniors need to understand how the choices they make will effect thier lifestyle in the future.

sweet maxine said:
I've got two graduating seniors this year, and I'm going to have them read all the posts on this thread. This is all great food for thought!

::yes:: For ANYONE in HS!!!

Lyn5 said:
How about attorneys, engineers , nurses and other professionals where, in some cases, you need to pass governmental exams to get your license/practice. In some cases, a person could work several years building the experinces to qualify or trying to pass the exams.....all the while making under $50,000.

Thank you, thank you Lyn5. As a RN with a masters degree we are just now getting a decent salary and I think the only reason that has happen is because in the last few years there has been a nursing shortage. Why is there a nursing shortage, one reason because for so long the salary has been lousy.

It is truly a rewarding career but you won't get rich doing it.

Yes. Three of my four best friends have college degrees (one has a masters) and they each make less than $50,000 a year. The friend with the masters works for the state, though, and will eventually max out over that, plus gets a kick butt pension. Another friend is a grade school teacher ('nuff said) and the third friend has a Bachelor's in economics, which I guess doesn't get you a job anywhere. She works as a customer service rep in a call center for a major cell phone company. She makes maybe $30,000 a year, but she loves it and gets good benifits too.

I, however, only have a HS diploma and make as much as my friend with the masters, and more than my other two friends. My DH also never went to college and makes even more than I do! I sometimes wonder if we made the better choice afterall (not to go to college), we didn't have college loans to pay back and it seems we make as good as money as many people with degrees anyway!

I think it varies a lot depending on what you do.

I am an administrative assistant. I definitely make more than some of my friends with degrees do, but I also have 10 years of experience and some special skills (project management, tech stuff) that I learned on my own that adds value to what I do. I have some college but no degree.

That said, my friends who make less in similar jobs are in similar jobs because they are working their way up to something bigger. I get more now because I'm experienced, but they're paying their dues to move on to a much more lucrative position in time. I'm not- I will sooner or later get to move up to a more project manager or technical-type role, but it would be for less money than someone they pulled off the street with a marketing degree/tech degee would get for the same work, I'm sure. I probably won't advance much past that, either. I have the skills because I learned them in the field, but that doesn't always mean something to people who hire for the jobs.

Truthfully, I'm not bothered by this too much. I like what I do. I like the people I work for. I find my work challenging and satisfying. I make enough money to get by comfortably. I'd love more money- most people would, but all my basic needs and some of the wants get met, I don't have debt, I'm putting money in the bank and I'm comfortable with where I am.

I would need to go back and finish school to get someplace bigger and more important, but I don't know if that's a priority for me right now. I want to go back to school eventually because I enjoy it, but right now I have other things I want to do first- buy a house, travel, spend some more time with friends and family, etc. I could find the money for school but right now it's not what I want to do with my time, if that makes sense.

It's certainly possible that my wants and needs will change later. I could make more money, but it's not necessarily about money for me right now. I don't know if that makes me a success or a failure by the average definition- I feel that I work hard, I do good work, and I'm happy, so in my book, I'm doing okay.

So yes, it's true that I make more than some people with a degree in my field, but they aren't doing this as a career, which changes the circumstances a lot, I think.

Yes, sadly its true, some people make more without a college degree than those that have one (or two, or more!) It just depends on the choice of major, the area you live in, etc.

I have two children, ds9 & dd8. Of course, we are already planning their college education, put away $500/month in a college fund. However, that won't be enough with today's college prices, especially since we will have two in college at the same time. Due to our circumstances, we probably won't qualify for any type of financial aid, either. We plan to have them go on the "economy plan". Knock out as many courses as they can at a community (cheaper!) college, place out ouf courses with advanced placement exams (not as tough as it sounds, I waived 18 credits by exam!), and the real kicker--live at home! We have a major university right in town, why go elsewhere? Of course, they will probably want to live on their own at that age, spread their wings, etc. I lived in a dorm my 4.5 years of college and have mixed feelings about it. While I loved being independent (my parents were the controlling type - I'm surprised even now they let me go away to college!), however, dorms can be real zoos. It wasn't that long ago I was there, I know!

Well, both my kids will simply have to realize we can't do everything. Live at home, work part-time to contribute to costs, take waiver exams, etc. they can possibly graduate without student loans, or at least that's my hope! However, for all that sacrifice, on all our parts, I do insist they get something that's at least marketable! I won't have them graduate with a worthless degree, like I did. Especially since we'll be in our early sixties by the time they graduate, we might not be able to provide them with the "soft landing" many parents give their children. I want them "launched". They can always "find themselves" later. (Or is that a concept from the 60's era?) Essentially, I was lied to by colleges. I was told certain degrees are much more marketable than they actually are. Statistics can be manipulated, and colleges are masters at selling their worthless programs! To say things like "....Art history majors work in business, government,....etc" gives the impression that there's actually openings in such fields with the primary requirement being an Art History major. Baloney! Perhaps some with an Art History major somehow wiggled their way into such jobs after adding to their skill set with work experience, etc., however, I can almost guarantee you they didn't just come right out the college door into such a job!

Look at a college education as an investment, not a privelege. You're paying for it, get something in return! Look critically at the job market. First, is there even an application for this major? Don't worry too much about demand as you begin college, everything is cyclical. I originally wanted to major in teaching, however, the job market was saturated with teachers then and I was talked out of it. Now there's a demand for teachers! (yes, I know, the pay is still substandard). Also, do look at starting salaries for that type of field. If its low now, chances are it will remain lower than other fields, even as they all increase each year. Of course, make sure its something you enjoy, it will be your life's work. However, don't just look at a career for the "fun factor". You have "fun" after work! Being unemployed isn't "fun" either! Many years ago my father suggested I study pharmacy, but I rejected that idea without even looking into it. The thought of spending my days counting pills sounded "not fun". Well, making 100k+ sure sounds like "fun". :banana: However, try convincing a "party animal" teenager that there's more to life than "fun". :woohoo:

I'm starting now to plan my children's future, mainly because I don't want them making the same mistakes I did and suffering the same pain I did. You have no idea how painful it is to try to sell yourself on the job market with a worthless degree, watching all your friends who just went to high school making more than you could hope to. Meanwhile, there you are, all
educated" and "well-rounded" and can't make enough for the basics of life, let alone a few luxuries. :sad2: Imagine my frustration when I was working at my dead-end, low-paid job as a accounting assistant, a job which I all but sat up and begged for, then I read in the newspaper that the average welfare receipeint's monthly check was more than my take-home! :furious:

Yes, I want my children to have an education, broaden their horizions, understand the world about them, not grow up to be bigots, etc., but does college guarantee all that? I just want to know they're settled and can take care of themselves as dh and I round the bend into retirement. They can reach "self-actualization" later.

I think it makes sense for HS seniors to think about these issues. My sister and brother both have college degrees, and neither makes more then $50K/yr. They both went to private, well-respected universities. But one has a theater degree and the other a communications degree. My sister is now working for a Masters in Divinity, and works for a church. She will never make 50K (absent inflation). But she has made a personal choice about how to live her life.

I wanted to be self-sufficient and have a more comfortable life. I choose to attend a state school (less student loans) and study accounting. It helped that the state school in IL has the #1 accounting program in the country. After 10 years (plus a masters degree), I now earn about 4 times what I did when I graduated, and I have student loan debt. I've also gotten to a point where I can have a flexible schedule, 6 weeks vacation, pension, 401(k), etc. My sister and I would never trade places with each other. We're both happy with our decisions, but its something kids need to think about up front (and before parents waste money on 5+ years of college or kids incur too much debt on school expenses).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter