College degrees and Wages

My younger sister earned her Bachelors and Masters and was always on the Dean's List.

I graduated high school and was working full-time within two months of graduation.

Currently she is not work..but that is for health reasons. When she was getting paid, she made about half what I make and I don't yet make $50,000.

Her degree is in education, and she never actually used her degree. After obtaining her Masters, she went to work at a college as a resident advisor. She stated that she decided to go into college administration because it would pay for and because she realized that she wasn't cut out to teach. At this point though, her illness prevents her from being able to work so there is no career path at this point.

katied said:
We're both happy with our decisions, but its something kids need to think about up front (and before parents waste money on 5+ years of college or kids incur too much debt on school expenses).

I completely agree! kids and parents need to really think through what they want out of a career, both in pay and personal satisfaction before they commit to college . Like it's been illustrated in this thread, a college degree doesn't necessarily guarantee a good paying job. I know many construction workers who make over 100k/year and many teachers who make 30K and the like. Obviously construction is a more physical and dangerouos job but you get the idea.

I think it is very important to pursue something you really like but at the same time one has to be practical. Often a person has the aptitude to be successful and enjoy different careers. Many times though we close ourselves to careers that are very familiar to us.

I was very fortunate to study physical therapy back when it was still only a bachelor's degree. It was not my first choice by far but at the time my family's financial situation was not the best. My mom told me ' you need to study something that will give you a good salary right away, so PT it was. I don't really regret it since i enjoy my career immensely.

My sister went the journalistic route and has been out of school for a year now, she still has not found a job! she is very qualified but has only managed to get a few freelance assignments for little pay. She has always been interested in communications and the like so one day I suggested maybe she could get her masters in speech therapy? :confused3 lol!!

She is really considering it and is excited about it, my mom and I are pushing it :cheer2: :cheer2: If she does go through with it she will have great job security and a great salary so she is quite intrigued!

Again, i'm not saying give up on your passion or your dream but at the same time, now what you are getting into

wdwfan1 said:
Sad to say--new starting salary for a NYPD police officer is under $25,000.

NOW THAT RIGHT THERE HAS TO CHANGE ::yes:: !!!
My DH lived in Hoboken for 4 years 2000-04 while working for the NYNJ Port Authority. My family spent all four years shopping, eating, dining, show going in the BIG APPLE 24/7! I saw FIRST HAND the wonderful, outstanding, professionalism of the NYPD up close. THEY ARE :thumbsup2 !!!

COME ON SOMEONE IN NY NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THEIR SALARIES!!! ::yes:: If I lived closer (but we are back in Beantown) I would go to CITY HALL for you and get you the money you all deserve. :wave2:

JuneChickie said:
Do you or anyone you know that has a gone to college and finished
with a degree make 50 thousand or less ? **********

While going to college ,,,, we all acknowledge does give us a better
chance at the better paying jobs ,,, it does not guarantee that.

I know several people in "store" management that only make 30 to 45 thousand a year. All have college degrees in "business" mgnt. and yes
I'm sure there are others who make way more. But the point is
there are people with degrees who make less than 50 thou. a year.

Rephrasing the question "" Anyone gone to college ,,, got the degree ,,
and now with 10 plus years out in the working world making less than
50 thousand a year ????????????????

This is my Dh to a tee. He runs a tire store and graduated in 92

I have been reading many of the posts here on this , not all, but most, and I just wanted to stick in my two cents worth. In Iowa 50K is a pretty good salary for just about anyone, even after 10 years. The funny thing is it's not so much what you're doing as who you work for. A prime example of this is a painter. Some make $10 an hour and another I know makes close to 100K with some overtime. Working on a holiday weekend, he can make $1500 dollars just for the weekend! There is no degree needed to be a painter, that I know of anyway. But the one main difference is that the one company is a union shop and as we all know they tend to pay SIGNIFICANTLY more than non-union. Another example is a person sitting and watching a machine run and is making about 70K per year. And I'm sure you all know that most don't make that much doing that. Again, a union shop. So the next time you pay more for breakfast cereal than you'd like to pay, think about how much the workers are making there to bring it to you. The farmer sure isn't getting that money! OK let the onslaught begin! :rotfl2:

stanncie said:
I completely agree! kids and parents need to really think through what they want out of a career, both in pay and personal satisfaction before they commit to college . Like it's been illustrated in this thread, a college degree doesn't necessarily guarantee a good paying job. I know many construction workers who make over 100k/year and many teachers who make 30K and the like. Obviously construction is a more physical and dangerouos job but you get the idea.

I think it is very important to pursue something you really like but at the same time one has to be practical. Often a person has the aptitude to be successful and enjoy different careers. Many times though we close ourselves to careers that are very familiar to us.

I was very fortunate to study physical therapy back when it was still only a bachelor's degree. It was not my first choice by far but at the time my family's financial situation was not the best. My mom told me ' you need to study something that will give you a good salary right away, so PT it was. I don't really regret it since i enjoy my career immensely.

My sister went the journalistic route and has been out of school for a year now, she still has not found a job! she is very qualified but has only managed to get a few freelance assignments for little pay. She has always been interested in communications and the like so one day I suggested maybe she could get her masters in speech therapy? :confused3 lol!!

She is really considering it and is excited about it, my mom and I are pushing it :cheer2: :cheer2: If she does go through with it she will have great job security and a great salary so she is quite intrigued!

Again, i'm not saying give up on your passion or your dream but at the same time, now what you are getting into

I'm a speech therapist. There are lots of job opportunities, as well as the ability to work part time, with a reasonable salary.

I kind of stumbled into the major myself, and I'm so glad I did. I work part time (I have three kids), summers off (although I also do some work in summer, but it's totally on my schedule).

Julia

Julia M said:
I'm a speech therapist. There are lots of job opportunities, as well as the ability to work part time, with a reasonable salary.

I kind of stumbled into the major myself, and I'm so glad I did. I work part time (I have three kids), summers off (although I also do some work in summer, but it's totally on my schedule).

Julia

Hey, fellow therapist!! I guess you work in the school system? or do you just take your summers off? I work in pediatric home health and the need for therapists is out of control. My company has kids in waiting lists for therapists that are 40-50 names long sometimes. I could work all day , everyday if i wanted to but i don't want to burn out of course. The flexibility of it is the best thing about it.

I'm always telling people to study therapy either PT, OT or ST :teacher:

My cousin went to school at a great college for 6 years and graduated with a Business Administration degree. My aunt and uncle took out many loans and had several jobs for her to do this. She now works at Starbucks making coffee drinks (she's been doing it for a few years) and loves it. My brother never went to college, works as a drafter, and makes $55k a year. My best friend went to college for 5 years (and got her masters) to be a teacher and now works at a car dealership selling the undercoating (and other things they try to rip you off to buy) and makes decent money but works every day except Tuesday and Thursday, but she loves it.

momrek06 said:
He shops for everything INCLUDING underwear at Banana Republic of which I told him "get to Target for your underwear"! :rolleyes:

:lmao: :lmao: My brother is the same way! That cracks me up! I told him every time he goes to Banana Republic let me know so I can buy some stock in the company. :rolleyes: Especially when he brings home a white plain shirt that cost $150 but that's a whole other thread... :teeth:

NeverlandClub23 said:
:lmao: :lmao: My brother is the same way! That cracks me up! I told him every time he goes to Banana Republic let me know so I can buy some stock in the company. :rolleyes: Especially when he brings home a white plain shirt that cost $150 but that's a whole other thread... :teeth:

WHAT IS UP WITH THESE GUYS.... :rolleyes:

AND NOW HE IS BUYING HIS SOCKS THERE AS WELL.... :rolleyes2

Get some good ole HANES boxers and HANES socks and save your money,
for crying out loud.... ::yes::

:rolleyes1 THIS IS MY SON when I suggest TARGET/WALMART/KMART :sad2:

I had tough talks with my kids before they started college. My dd wanted to go to school for anthropology. I told her I would stongly suggest she get a teaching certificate along with the degree. This way she would at least be able to pursue this. Unfortunately what your degree is in matters. Lots of fast food managers have psych degrees. One of the schools my son went to made students sign a form if they were majoring in psych telling them that it would be unlikely to get a job with this degree unless they went on for an advanced degree.
I am getting my teaching degree. Teachers here start at $48,000. My dh has his GED for hs and went to a trade school. He currently makes around $70,000 per year, has fantastic benefits and an even better pension as a commercial hvac mechanic. He could get my sons apprenticeships but neither is interested. An apprentice can make journeyman in 8 years. He gets the benefits right away plus $17. per hour.

My husband does not have a degree but his certification for his firefighter/paramedic license. The starting salary in his department is $45,000.
I do have my AA in Nursing and Im not sure what the starting salary is down here for a staff RN but I think its in the lower $20's per hour. I work perdiem and my yearly gross salary changes every year. sometimes I work alot and other times not so much. depends on what is going on with the kids, etc. My hourly rate is higher than dh's at $32.25 and will go up 7% in may. he gets a a 7% raise in July also and already has gotten 2% and 1% towards his retirement health insurance fund back in January. I believe his gross salary for this year will be around $58,000.00. Not counting his cash in for sick time and his money for different allowances..

LOL. I have 2 college degrees and make way less than $50,000.00. I am a social worker. My husband has a degree in history and a teaching degree. He tried working in his field, but it wasn't paying the bills. He got a job working in a factory to supplement and JUST working on the weekends, he made more than he would as a teacher. Needless to say he quit his teaching job. We wouldn't have seen him at all if he kept the two jobs. Most of the people he works with make much more money than me and do not have a degree at all. My husband's family is not happy that he is not doing anything in his field, however we have to do what we have to do to make ends meet. A college degree doesn't necessarily mean more money. It all depends what field you are in I suppose.

holden said:
I have a BA in English, an MA in Education, 30+ credits beyond my masters and 7 years experience in teaching. I make less than 50,000 as a high school teacher and work aprrox. 65 hours a week.

Another teacher here so I make less than 50K. However I only work 187 days a year and have 10 days of paid leave. So I could work only 177 days. I have also had zero child care expenses since DD started Kindergarten.

Why do you work so many hours? My work week is 40 hours. I will sometimes put in an extra hour here and there planning but never anything near 65 hours. I work a couple of extra hours a week tutoring but receive extra pay for that.

I have a bachelors and masters and due to a buyout at the company I worked for, I went from $52K to $40K. DH makes approximately $40K with no college at all. (He's in sales)

I would like to mention that I dearly love my new job though and with flextime and a very family friendly atmosphere, it more than makes up for the paycut.

While it truly is sad to see so many college educated people earning less than 50K/year, I don't think the reverse is also true. How many millionaires do you think don't have college educations? I know more than a few millionaires (think the millionaire next door, not Paris Hilton) and all of them went to college. I just don't want high schoolers reading this thread to think they have the same chance of making it as a person who is college educated. Without an education, it's a greater uphill battle.

For those of you who are ST's...what kind of money are you making?
I'm in my last year of grad school majoring in Speech Path and just curious what I have to look forward to next year!!!

I just graduated from college in '04. I am a second year teacher at a Catholic Elementary School. I make under $20,000 a year. However, I love my job, so I can live with the pay. (Next year I will break the $20,000 mark!) My husband makes well over $50,000 a year, does not have a college degree, but HATES his job. I have two kids in college now. I constantly worry about their future, but hopefully they can find a job they love AND make a decent wage.

BeNJeNWaFFLe said:
I graduated last year with a BS in Computer Science. Trust me, the average salary isn't that great. All those articles said that the average starting salary for CS majors was @$50,000. Well, not exactly. If you live in an area where there aren't many students graduating with that degree, then yes. If you are looking for a job in an area heavily populated with CS majors, then you will make just about $35,000. I am friends with many engineering majors and just about none are making close to $50K.

Don't worry about not being able to afford anything. I am in your shoes. I am paying off school loans right now. I knock on wood everyday that my car will last me another couple of years. And I thank my parents for letting me stay home rent free because there is no chance in heck that I can afford a house around here, let alone an apartment.

ah $35,000...as i said, still tons more than i make :scared: i started at around $23,000, and am now at around $25,000 after a raise. i guess that when you don't make much, even 10k more seems like a 'ton'. frustrating isn't it...i feel your car pain. i am lucky enough to live somewhere where i don't need a car, but DBF needs one for school and it always seems to be giving him trouble. thank goodness for public trans!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter