Change in Provider and Options for Onboard Internet Being Reported

I wonder if this will permanently ‘fix’ the glitch that allows iMessage. Has anyone tried to use iMessage with the new provider without purchasing a package?
I am not sure it is a glitch, I thought it was because Disney used something similar to iMessage for its app chat functions. But I don't know that for sure.

I am not sure it is a glitch, I thought it was because Disney used something similar to iMessage for its app chat functions. But I don't know that for sure.
I don’t know for certain - I have just read on the boards several times that Guest Services can’t help fix iMessage when it doesn’t work because it’s not something that is supposed to be there (or something like that).

And feel free to correct me!! I’m hoping it works for my family on our upcoming cruise that leaves in a few days! :)

I wonder if this will permanently ‘fix’ the glitch that allows iMessage. Has anyone tried to use iMessage with the new provider without purchasing a package?
It's somehow working better but that's because internet is maybe working better (I mean, absolutely not faster, not sure they changed the satellite antennas, but I wouldn't be surprised if they improved Wi-Fi).
Absolutely. When the Navigator app is not running in the foreground, the app can nicely ask to be awaken every few minutes (to check for new messages for example) but that means they would get delayed by that much time.
What DCL do is that, when a notification must be pushed to a device, they send it using the Apple servers on the internet. This sends a “push” to the iPhone that detects it, and forwards it to the DCL app. So that had to allow this kind of communication “for free”.

The thing is this “push” thing is also used by other features of iOS. By allowing it for their app, they had to allow iMessages. And they also allow for notifications for other apps, i.e. I receive my Twitter notifications even while not paying a plan (by the way this could be used to set-up a one-way communication with people using Android).
I don’t know for certain - I have just read on the boards several times that Guest Services can’t help fix iMessage when it doesn’t work because it’s not something that is supposed to be there (or something like that).

And feel free to correct me!! I’m hoping it works for my family on our upcoming cruise that leaves in a few days! :)
For me, iMessage still disconnects once in a while, and I can't turn it back on (that requires paid internet).

DW tried to download an app from the App Store which wasn't allowed, so she upgraded to the $30 package (paid only the difference), and fortunately the download went through.

So, if you have already tried a plan and find it doesn't work for what you need, you can pay the difference to upgrade to the next level plan?

I have an app I use that I use to keep tabs on my business... I really only need to refresh it maybe once or twice a day, just to be sure a message isn't missed from a customer or a vendor. Most of the time everything is clear and I'm back to my Drink of the Day within about 30 seconds. It doesn't use much data at all... unless there is a problem that I need to deal with, I've been able to make the 50mb free plan last for an entire 7 night sailing (when there is a problem, that 50mb disappears in an instant). I hate to pay $10 a day for just a minute or two a day, but I'd hate to pay $20 for it even more. The basic plan might just work without a problem, but I'd be stunned if the app would be on an approved list. If I can't use the app on the basic plan, it would force me up into the next tier just so that I could refresh it. The first time the new plans are available to me, I'll try the basic first and cross my fingers.

So, if you have already tried a plan and find it doesn't work for what you need, you can pay the difference to upgrade to the next level plan?

I have an app I use that I use to keep tabs on my business... I really only need to refresh it maybe once or twice a day, just to be sure a message isn't missed from a customer or a vendor. Most of the time everything is clear and I'm back to my Drink of the Day within about 30 seconds. It doesn't use much data at all... unless there is a problem that I need to deal with, I've been able to make the 50mb free plan last for an entire 7 night sailing (when there is a problem, that 50mb disappears in an instant). I hate to pay $10 a day for just a minute or two a day, but I'd hate to pay $20 for it even more. The basic plan might just work without a problem, but I'd be stunned if the app would be on an approved list. If I can't use the app on the basic plan, it would force me up into the next tier just so that I could refresh it. The first time the new plans are available to me, I'll try the basic first and cross my fingers.
Someone posted that they purchased a different plan on different days, and not every day.

Someone posted that they purchased a different plan on different days, and not every day.
Yeah, I would try to stick to the lowest possible plan and only upgrade on the days when something went south and I had to attend to it. My hope is that there is a way to upgrade from a lower plan to a higher plan on the same day (just pay the difference). And I have a data plan on my phone that will allow me to use it while in a port, so hopefully I'd only need a plan every other day or so, if that.

The $10 plan actually working with my app would be the most ideal option. More expensive than the 50mb free plan, but if it actually puts up any kind of decent speed, I'll happily pay for it.

Just to be sure you don't miss out on your options, do remember that you can STILL use pay-per-megabytes if you'd like. You don't have to use Wi-Fi to access internet while on the ship, you may also use your mobile phone and use shipboard's cell network, which is still billed per usage. (Take extra care nothing will eat data in the background as it can be expensive quickly.)

I will be disappointed if a small free option like the current 50mb is gone. That has always been sufficient for my internet needs while cruising.

It was even sufficient for us on a 14 night. We only used it once a day to check an email from home & respond to it.
I don't expect it to make a difference, but I emailed them to see if there's a way to meet the needs of passengers like us at a price lower than $20 a day.

We couldn't get it to work (any of our party of 6 adults) on May 16th, so I'm glad it's working for you!
It's super hit or miss. It worked for me for the first day and a half of our cruise a couple weeks ago and then not again. But for my family, it worked fine the whole cruise. I don't know why it's so glitchy.

Hi! We are about to go on our first Disney cruise, and it will be the first cruise ever for my husband and daughter. We are sailing on the Dream on July 9th. Are any of the current internet packages decent enough to check emails and take Zoom calls for work? I read the article about the new upgraded plans but couldn't find info anywhere about the current plans, other than the fact that it is terrible. Thanks in advance!

Hi! We are about to go on our first Disney cruise, and it will be the first cruise ever for my husband and daughter. We are sailing on the Dream on July 9th. Are any of the current internet packages decent enough to check emails and take Zoom calls for work? I read the article about the new upgraded plans but couldn't find info anywhere about the current plans, other than the fact that it is terrible. Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't trust Disney WiFi for any kind of video calling for work, including ZOOM. You can usually get WiFi in cafes around the port.

Can confirm on the Magic, we could use both imessage and whatsapp with people on and off the ship without an internet package this last week.

Can confirm on the Magic, we could use both imessage and whatsapp with people on and off the ship without an internet package this last week.
Sorry, how could you use WhatsApp to people off the ship without the internet package?

Sorry, how could you use WhatsApp to people off the ship without the internet package?
Don't know. It just works. I had read that option was available to the crew for free, so I tried it and it worked. Just connect to the DCL wifi (which you have to do to use the DCL app on the ship) and use WhatsApp like normal. I don't think pictures would work, just text.

I just got off Magic this morning. Wifi was terrible. I refused to pay for something that didn’t even work 50% of the time. I just used cellular/wifi at the ports and iMessage onboard. I do not see how anyone could accomplish anything work related onboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter