CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Oxford vaccine has come in this morning. It’s being wrongly reported as 70% efficacy- that’s across the entire trial- they’ve worked out on 50% initial dose and 100% second its 90% effective. Maybe because the delivery agent (a deactivated chimp virus) is actually attacked by the immune system if a 100% dose is given on first vaccination.
This is great news as the vaccine will go 25% further.
It’s a tenth of the cost of Moderna and can just be kept in normal fridges so could be the ultimate vaccine victor as it’s easy to transport and very cheap to make.

Doesn’t make sense.
Also, the half dose trial was only conducted on a couple thousand participants.

But, let’s assume that it is 70% effective for now. Anyone willing to get this over the other more effective vaccines?

Doesn’t make sense.
Also, the half dose trial was only conducted on a couple thousand participants.

But, let’s assume that it is 70% effective for now. Anyone willing to get this over the other more effective vaccines?

why would we assume it’s 70% effective when the small dose/larger dose refinement was 90%?

Personally, I'm loving the weekly "Monday morning vaccine announcements". It's a great way to start the week. Maybe we'll get J&J next Monday. 👍

J&J isn't far enough into their trial to have any data yet. It's not expected until mid January.

Stock market.

Well, I know you didn't make the comment....but I don't see the problem with wanting to benefit from creating a vaccine that will aid in getting the entire global population out of a pandemic. At least in the case of BioNTech...they've been working on the mRNA technology for 8 years, spending many millions of dollars on research. And thank goodness they'd done that work, because that's why we have this vaccine so quickly. And not for nothing, I'm betting that many of the people on these forums have 401Ks or retirement accounts that are likely broad based index type funds....and so not only are those people (me included), fortunate enough to get a vaccine soon, but we'll benefit to a certain degree from the success of these companies.

Last edited:

You're assuming there is going to be a choice. Logistics are likely to dictate which versions are available in various parts of the country (ex. the one that requires super-deep freeze storage is going to be much harder to roll out in rural areas than in urban), and of course, supplies will be well below need/demand for a year or more. So the more accurate way of approaching that question is whether you'd take the 70% effective vaccine as soon as it is available to you or wait to get the 90% effective one at some indefinite time in the future.

Well, I don't see the problem with wanting to benefit from creating a vaccine that will aid in getting the entire global population out of a pandemic. At least in the case of BioNTech...they've been working on the mRNA technology for 8 years, spending many millions of dollars on research. And thank goodness they'd done that work, because that's why we have this vaccine so quickly. And not for nothing, I'm betting that many of the people on these forums have 401Ks or retirement accounts that are likely broad based index type funds....and so not only are those people (me included), fortunate enough to get a vaccine soon, but we'll benefit to a certain degree from the success of these companies.

I agree with you, I wasn't the one who made the snarky comment.

Apparently, the AstraZeneca vaccine has some proof that it reduces TRANSMISSABILITY of the virus. That is very good news. The lead researcher is speaking about it right now on CNN. It is the first vaccine in development that has evidence that it prevents transmission.

I'm praying that these new technologies will also improve long-standing vaccinations. The fact that Flu vaccine sits at only 65% effective means that it totally needs to be a candidate for the new format, it would save millions of lives. There is such a lag in getting the Flu vaccine out that the main strain often shifts to one not in the selection. No reason to keep doing things the old way if there turns out to be a better way.
I believe that idea is what drove Biontech years ago to start developing their technology.. Correct me If I am wrong, but they were actually working on a flu vaccine and then Covid came along and they switched gears.

what makes me sooo frustrated is I have heard certain "news" commentary that we all have a certain one person to thank and Operation Warp speed for bringing out these vaccines AND for saving the "world". Vaccine Covid development was a global initiatve lead also by other organizations such as the WHO or funded by other governments. Now I am not demeaning what the US had done, they have done tons too, but Its not all about the US goverment saving the world. In fact we have the Germany government to thank for Pfizer's vaccine. See linnk below

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ine-s-funding-came-from-berlin-not-washington
ps link does work but looks wierd here.. article on where Pfizer/Biontechs money came from.

Last edited:
I think conflicts over who does or doesn't get bragging rights is costing lives and at this point everyone needs to just stop bickering and start rowing in the same direction. Disease doesn't care who, what, when or where and humans have grown soft in the new world of medicine, this is going to be a massive culling event if we can't pull ourselves together as a species.

I don't mean to sound harsh but having a side has no place right now, we all need to put all that aside for a while, resume in the summer but not now. At the moment it comes off like reporting on a football game in the middle of a traffic accident. I can't even listen to the news anymore, they are out of touch.

Apparently, the AstraZeneca vaccine has some proof that it reduces TRANSMISSABILITY of the virus. That is very good news. The lead researcher is speaking about it right now on CNN. It is the first vaccine in development that has evidence that it prevents transmission.
Yes its the only trial where they had participants self swabbing for the virus on a weekly basis, and they were not producing virus in the nose and airways.
I think they will all reduce transmissibility to some extent though. The genius behind the Pfizer one said that he doesn't know yet but would hope on a 50% reduction.
I just want it to be sorted so we can return to our beloved USA from the UK!

Simple solution to the transmission problem: just get vaccinated.

Well yeah. However, it will take time to get a majority vaccinated. Some people might get vaccinated next month, but most of us will have to wait several more months or up to another year. That's why this question of transmisability is important. In the interim, we should all continue to wear masks, even after receiving the vaccine, until most people have gotten the vaccine.

Last edited:
Agree.

It really is that simple. It's the same with flu, if you don't want it, get vaccinated (although I think the flu vaccine is less effective?). Otherwise you risk getting it.

But the flu shot is an option now for literally anyone who wants one. That's not the case yet with this vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter