Candy Cane Inn Review with Pictures

Before I was always big on just driving to the parks because you could stay at a nice hotel if just a little further away. Now, I think I'm spoiled on just walking over. It allowed us to not rush through breakfast because we didn't have to leave so early in the morning. I think I'm converted. ;)

Our room only had a window in the front of the room so I don't know if the rooms in the back only have that one front window too. If so, there won't be any view for them either. Maybe someone else knows.

Great pictures & great review. :thumbsup2

I'm also a big fan of the CCI & have stayed there twice. It's great for the small family that wants to get up early & then take an afternoon break. (for the reasons you highlighted.)

We would average taking the free/dedicated shuttle twice a day & would walk (to the parks or back) twice a day.

We also aren't much on swimming pools (hopped in a couple of times), but those who are might prefer the DLR hotels (for a price) or Hojos.

But i'd put a $25 - $35 premium over the other Harbor hotels for the good breakfast & shuttle.

Question: How far of a walk is it to the Garden Walk restaurants from the CCI?....i'm thinking it's not too far.

Great report. :hippie:

Great review! :thumbsup2 I'm glad you guys liked staying there. I think it's one of the nicer looking hotels on Harbor. They really did a good job making a regular motel look nice.

Great pictures & great review. :thumbsup2

I'm also a big fan of the CCI & have stayed there twice. It's great for the small family that wants to get up early & then take an afternoon break. (for the reasons you highlighted.)

We would average taking the free/dedicated shuttle twice a day & would walk (to the parks or back) twice a day.

We also aren't much on swimming pools (hopped in a couple of times), but those who are might prefer the DLR hotels (for a price) or Hojos.

But i'd put a $25 - $35 premium over the other Harbor hotels for the good breakfast & shuttle.

Question: How far of a walk is it to the Garden Walk restaurants from the CCI?....i'm thinking it's not too far.

We didn't go there this time. I know it isn't far because we walked there from Embassy Suites South and then over to DTD. But I couldn't say how long it would take. We hardly had any time at DTD this trip. I don't know where the time went!

We did this once. It was two years ago so the boys were 7 and 8 then and had no problem walking there and back even after a day in the park. I can't say how long it took us unfortunately since I don't remember, but I seem to remember DH and I being surprised that it didn't take any longer than to walk to Disneyland from Candy Cane.

Nice CCI pictures! Just wanted to drop in here and say for us it is always between CCI and Hojos! CCI costs more than Hojos (with entertainment card). But you do get the dedicated shuttle and breakfast with CCI.

One tip for the CCI is that sometimes in the morning the bus shuttle is not running! Instead it is a small van. That is never enough to hold all the guests that want a ride to the park. To make sure that you are not left waiting for nothing ask the front desk what will be running in the morning. That way you know you have to get up early to walk over to the park or try to wait for the small van (people start running when they realize so get your running shoes!!!). I just want to make sure that people are not surprised when something like that happens.

When this happened half our party got into the van. The rest walked. We were almost dead even with getting to the front gates!

We never saw a van when we were there. But then we didn't have a MM so we just got to the gates by 8am. We found that if you are not trying to get on Peter Pan or Nemo then you can walk up at opening and still be fine to get on lots of rides. We usually left CCI about 10 minutes to 8 and just walked over.

Great review. I was just pondering DLH or CCI for New years. We stay one or the other. Have never had problem with the shuttle. We even had a drive take us on our own personal drive after we missed the morning shuttle and were walking down the lot to walk to the park. Kids love the free breakfast and we like the convenience and safe feel of CCI

PinkBudgie did such a wonderful job with her review! So when we stayed here recently, I took some more pictures and with PinkBudgie's permission, I'm posting them here in the hopes that they might be helpful for those considering the Candy Cane Inn.

So breakfast:

***IMPORTANT Helpful Hint ***

If you send someone to go get breakfast to bring back to the room, there is a tray in the room, in the armoire, with cups on it. Bring that tray with you to carry food back!!

IMG_9693.jpg

See the tray in the cupboard? They do have a few trays at the breakfast room, but we never managed to get one (or to remember to bring the one from our room, lol).

IMG_9686.jpg

This cereal and coffee cart is in the pool area - three kinds of cereal, coffee and fixings, bowls, etc.

IMG_9687.jpg

IMG_9692.jpg

In the breakfast room, several kinds of bagels, wheat and white bread (and a toaster to toast them), sweet rolls, doughnuts, muffins.

IMG_9688.jpg

Butter, jams, PB, honey, several flavors of cream cheese.

IMG_9691.jpg

Fruit: bananas, apples, oranges.

IMG_9689.jpg

Yogurts

IMG_9690.jpg

Coffee, tea, two kinds of juice, hot chocolate, milk.

Storage in the room:

We felt there was quite a bit of storage space in the room. I must say, the first time we stayed here, we had a Deluxe Room, and it felt roomy. The second time, I made a mistake when booking and we had a regular room, and as soon as we walked in, we said, hmmm, this seems smaller than last time. So I would definitely go for the deluxe if you will be there more than one night.

These pictures are from the regular room, however, so still lots of storage, just not much floor space where the beds are.

IMG_9696-1.jpg

Almost the entire area under the sink is storage space, and is is deep.

There are some shelves next to the sink, and then the closet is quite deep also - plenty of room to store a suitcase or so. Sorry, I have tried multiple times to post a picture of this, but something must be wrong with the file, because it won't show up. So just trust me - it is large.

Pool area:

IMG_9647.jpg

This is the main pool - it looks bigger in this picture than it is, lol. There were 8 people on it when we were there and it was feeling crowded for swimming/playing. But it is nice, clean, lots of seats around the pool, and lots of towels. Easy access to the bathrooms inside the breakfast area, which is to the right of this picture.

IMG_9648-1.jpg

The hot tub - sign says holds 5 - I think it could go a few more, especially if you know each other. We sat out one night and there were 6 of us (strangers) with no problem.

IMG_9667-1.jpg

This is a nice feature - a little toddler pool with the water only 1.5 feet high, fenced from the hot tub and main pool, and lots of seating.

IMG_9672.jpg

Finally, we saw the fireworks from our room one night. It was magical.

Great pics amamax2! I wanted to get pics of the breakfast area, but just never got to it. Also, we didn't swim so I had no experience with the pools. I added a line at the end of the review on page one mentioning your pics just added here on page 3 so people know to check here too.

We are going back to CCI for our little Nov. trip. I enjoy trying new places but we just loved so much about CCI that I just couldn't think of anything better to try and I needed to book before it got too late.

Thanks!

We really like CCI too and will definitely stay there again...we are staying at Hojos for our Nov trip - we got the great AP rate and just couldn't pass it up - but I actually think we like CCI a little better.

DH & I just stayed at the CCI, Sunday 24th just for one night! We drove up from San Diego and decided we wanted to stay late and see WOC and DH had Monday off so we called CCI and they had availability!!! The deluxe queen room (king room was sold out) was $112.00 (+tax) with AAA! :thumbsup2

Lovely room #229! Very bright and spacious! The front desk girls were very nice! Free parking, Wifi and breakfast ... how can you beat all that for $112.00!!!!!!!!

Our only complaint ... we were awoken at 6:30am as Disney is building the CARSLAND right behind the CCI. So much noise from all the construction. :headache: I asked the girls as we were checking out about the construction and they said "It's Disney, we have no idea when it will be done and it is annoying". Oh my. :sad2:

We so want to go back and use our $10.00 coupon and the girls at the desk told me I can request a room, so I am going to request one closer to the front of the Inn. ::yes::

Momrek06

$112 plus tax sounds like a good deal for the deluxe room - I booked our April stay (Before Easter) for the same room type only yesterday and the rate for 7 nights is $149 per night but of course we aren't in AAA being from the UK. Perhaps it's a more expensive season. If better rates come up will they apply to our existing booking if I call them?

amamax2

Thanks for posting your pics - looks pretty good. When I rang the front desk said the deluxe rooms didn't have a fireworks view:confused3, so I requested 'nice view' top floor - is your photo from the time you stayed in a deluxe room? One of the things I loved about our HoJo room in summer was watching the Disney fireworks from our balcony.
Also can you tell me, was there enough space in your opinion in the closet for a week's worth of clothes for 3 people?

amamax2

Thanks for posting your pics - looks pretty good. When I rang the front desk said the deluxe rooms didn't have a fireworks view:confused3, so I requested 'nice view' top floor - is your photo from the time you stayed in a deluxe room? One of the things I loved about our HoJo room in summer was watching the Disney fireworks from our balcony.
Also can you tell me, was there enough space in your opinion in the closet for a week's worth of clothes for 3 people?

The fireworks was from the standard room.

I'm not sure exactly how the hotel is layed out in terms of where rooms are; the hotel is U-shaped with the long part of the U at the back (against DCA) and the two "legs" extending towards the street, if you can picture that.

I was told by people on the DIS that the Premium rooms are at the very back (so where the Carsland construction is - and if the rooms had a window in the back, it looks like you could reach out and touch the scenery for this area - it is that close!). When we had the Deluxe room, it was about 2/3 of the way back from the street on the right-hand "leg" (if standing on the street). The standard room was about the same distance, perhaps a wee bit more towards the front, but on the left-hand "leg." So I'm not sure if one side is Deluxe, one standard, and then the back Premium? :confused3 That may explain why you were told Deluxe didn't have the fireworks view. Both times I requested and received top floor. (There are only two.)

The rooms are set up so that the door and a large window are at the front of the room, bathroom, closet, sink at the very back of the room, no windows or anything in the back, but no other rooms behind you either. We've thought both times we've stayed here that it is a shame the right-hand side and back DO NOT have windows in the back because you would get a great view of DCA.

So from the left-hand side leg, our balcony/window faced the TOT & to the left is the future Carsland, but on the right-hand leg, where our Deluxe room was, the balcony/window would only face the other leg of the complex.

I still would go for the deluxe, especially if you are staying there for a week. Not that this is the ideal solution by any means, but you could either just walk across the parking area to the other balcony for fireworks (the balcony is actually the walkway around the building - there are little areas with tables/chairs set up along it, so you could sit at one) or the walk to the park is literally 5 min, so walk over to the Esplanade to see them is you didn't want to go into the parks.

As far as the closet and a week's worth of clothes for 3 people....I do think with all the storage space you will not have a problem unpacking and will not have to literally live out of your suitcases. If I remember correctly, the armoire where the TV is has 2 or 3 drawers on the bottom to put clothes, and then you can hang quite a bit in the closet, plus store the suitcase(s) in there. I guess some depends on how much you pack, lol. We tend to pack as light as possible, especially when flying. Toiletries can easily fit in the shelves by the sink, and then extra stuff - even clothes - can go in the storage space under the sink, if you needed more room. There are also a couple little cubbies in the armoire (you can see them in the picture I posted showing the tray).

Edited to add: I just looked back on pg 1 at PinkBudgie's pictures of the rooms and outside. If you look at the third picture, that is a view looking from the street back at the hotel, at the right-hand leg. Our Deluxe room was about where the dark mini van is beyond the street light. Her very last picture with the crane in it shows the very back of the whole complex, where they are building Carsland - when we were there in Sept, that area was now dwarfed by a huge Water Tower structure (?).

Ok, I finally got the picture of the closet/sink shelves to load - YAY!

IMG_9697.jpg

Also, here are some additional picture of the room - they are similar to PinkBudgie's, which is why I didn't post them originally, but maybe they will help reassure you. This is the standard room - the deluxe is roomier. From what I remember, the deluxe had more room between the window and the bed (see how the one chair is placed against the wall right next to the door? In the Deluxe, there is plenty of room for the chair to be at the table with the other chair.)

You can also see, there is room between the armoire and closet where you can easily put a suitcase where you wouldn't be tripping over it in you needed to.

IMG_9644.jpg

IMG_9645.jpg

IMG_9643.jpg

Has anyone on this thread stayed at both the BWPPI and the CCI? I'm planning a quickie trip in February with just my daughter and myself, and when comparing room rates for both of these, I'm wondering if CCI is significantly better than BWPPI. We will be staying at BWPPI next month for our long trip, and when I compared the two for two nights in Feb, the CCI came in at almost $70 more, despite BWPPI being so much closer.

So, anyone who has an opinion feel free to educate me! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter