Canceling dining reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Park hours are never set in stone. Waiting for them to be is a fool's game. How many posters book ADRs for what they think is park opening, only to have the hours change a month ahead of time? Booking multiple ADRs you have no intention of using is not ok. Make you best guess and then book what fits.

Right, which is why people sometimes book multiple things. I have a PPO BOG ADR that I will drop if park hours change. Right now I plan to use it if park hours stay as they are. I do not want it if MK is opening at 8. It is just not possible to know everything at 180, especially with the way Disney is releasing hours. I don't think people should book 3 or 4 ADRs for every meal but if they are unsure of a day or two and book a couple extra I don't think it is a big deal.

You just make the ADR and do not list who the other guests are. You do not need to select friends or family.
BTW if you're friend is going to make ADR's for overlapping times then you'll have to make sure she is creating new managed friends and family because if she picks real people that you've already made ADR's for its not gonna work.

I guess if you have to do all kinds of manipulating maybe that means it’s not quite right or ethical.

I guess if you have to do all kinds of manipulating maybe that means it’s not quite right or ethical.

I agree its not right because you're taking an ADR away from someone else that may really want to eat at that place at that time and then you're just gonna end up cancelling the night before because well we decided to do this instead of that.
If you want flexibility then eat at QS locations.
Don't want to hurt people's feelings but this is my opinion.

Park hours are never set in stone.

I had this happen to me -- wishes was scheduled for 10pm so we planned an 8:15 reservation at Wave to then head up to the top of the world lounge to watch wishes. During dinner i checked the time at it was really for 9:00 -- My fault for not confirming the time of wishes but I was almost burned by disney ever changing hours and schedules.

Unfortunately disney is almost leading people to book multiple reservations in order to work out their own personal plans. They hold us in limbo for months and we are left to try and piece together a plan with loose info. I am guilty of having multiple reservations but once i make the reservations at 180 days and review the options with the rest of the family we will release what we don't need probably well before 160 days, so i'm not holding on to reservations until the night before.

I agree its not right because you're taking an ADR away from someone else that may really want to eat at that place at that time and then you're just gonna end up cancelling the night before because well we decided to do this instead of that.

I would guess that in most cases someone who does really want to eat at that place and time will end up getting it, just not the person who would have made it if it hadn't been tied up.

Near as I can tell, there are restaurants that almost never fully book, and restaurants that book quickly with very little in between. And the poor souls who hadn't realized it was prudent to make reservations months ahead.

1) Even if you could, it would be selfish.
2) How would you feel if you couldn't get a place you wanted because someone else had double-booked ADRs?

Yeah, people don't think that way anymore, though. They're going to make sure they get "theirs", and to hell with anyone else. Common courtesy is dead anymore.

And then they blame it on Disney...I guess to remove any perceived guilt. How many times do we hear "well, if Disney wouldn't change their hours, I wouldn't HAVE to do it"?

Not trying to offend anyone...just being truthful.

Well Said.

You want to overlap restaurant reservations to be safe? SAFE?
In case you starve?
or do you mean, so that I can safely change my plans as late as I want and deliberately freeze out another person trying to book their dream meal?
Because, looking at the menus and choosing what we want and booking it within the parameters of normal choosing and giving everyone the same chance to book is not good enough for you, you have to hedge your bets.
And seriously? Make people up so you can get around the rules?!
Because yours is the only family that should be able to make choices?

To be fair, lots of people are doing this, this is aimed at the practise not an individual, but it is so selfish!

Since there are certain days on my trip where which park we might do is up in the air, and my 180 days is coming up next week, I am probably going to overlap some dining reservations to be safe. Am I able to then cancel reservations just by logging into my Disney.go account and doing it online, or do I have to call to cancel?
As soon as I saw this my first thought was...oh this poor soul has no idea what can of worms she just opened up! (I know I don't have a lot of history on Disboards, but I've been a lurker for years). Enjoy your trip, Disney is a magical place regardless of what dining reservations you get, and yes, you can cancel online. :) Just be sure to look at the cancellation policies for every reservation. And know that some places, like Cinderella's, require pre-payment on a credit card up front that you will get reimbursed if you cancel in the proper timeframe.

As soon as I saw this my first thought was...oh this poor soul has no idea what can of worms she just opened up! (I know I don't have a lot of history on Disboards, but I've been a lurker for years). Enjoy your trip, Disney is a magical place regardless of what dining reservations you get, and yes, you can cancel online. :) Just be sure to look at the cancellation policies for every reservation. And know that some places, like Cinderella's, require pre-payment on a credit card up front that you will get reimbursed if you cancel in the proper timeframe.

And if after it was explained that there's supposed to be a 2 hour gap between ADR's OP had not specifically expressed that they didn't care and would be using techniques to get around that this thread may not have gone the way it did.

And if after it was explained that there's supposed to be a 2 hour gap between ADR's OP had not specifically expressed that they didn't care and would be using techniques to get around that this thread may not have gone the way it did.

Yeah. So not really a "poor soul" at all.

Just like now the OP asked on another thread if they could purchase a child dessert party package for an adult because its so expensive.
Believe me I understand that Disney's prices can be irritating but if its something you really want to do you'll pay your fair share because you are an adult and you are going to pay Disney's adult price.

@Queen of the WDW Scene actually if you paid attention to what I wrote on the other thread, I asked about the kids package because I liked the choices of dessert better than in the adult one, I didn't say anything about the price except to point out that I realize the child price is less. So stop trying to twist things around. That is what's irritating. This is my first trip to Disney in 20 years and I'm new to the boards. And I didn't say I was going to try and deliberately use techniques to get around things, I said I COULD If i really wanted to because they make it easy to do so. You seem to like stirring up trouble for no reason.

Ugh Really?
It was specifically mentioned that "I know the kid's one is half the price but its not like you're ripping Disney off because you literally get what you pay for".
Disney has certain events/restaurants that the prices are borken up by audlt vs child.
You cannot just pay the child's price because that is what you want.
You'll be paying the adult price. Disney does usually accomodate if you would rather have the child's food choices but you're going to pay the adult price because that is how Disney has decided to do it.

Actually I can technically overlap, because one of my friends that I will be with has a separate account with a separate hotel reservation ;-), but thats besides the point. The main point of the post though is, can I cancel reservations online through the My disney experience website or do I have to call to cancel?

This does state that you plan on doing a work around to overlap ADRs. Just to keep things clear.

And then if you saw my post afterwards, you'd know that I was completely fine with that if they could accommodate my dessert choices. And as for the kids prices comment-Just pointing out that (for example) it's technically no different than an adult ordering a kids meal at one of the (non-buffet) restaurants. Many adults do it and Disney seems fine with allowing it, based on multiple peoples stories I read, since its not like you're getting extra food for it. I know you can upgrade a childs meal choice to be adult sized, but some people still just order from the kids menu and get kids portions.

Disney made an improvement to the process when they began to require a credit card for reservations and charge if the reservation is missed without a proper cancellation. As for overlap or double-booking, I have been able to book closer than 2 hours but I don't know if there is a consistent, precise time difference that will not allow double bookings but there is a limit.

Guests' plans change all the time so openings pop up whether people are double-booking or just deciding that they don't want to keep a current reservation. For every guest that can't get the reservation they want, another guest gets it either as a "last minute" reservation or as a walk-up; someone is happy.

And then if you saw my post afterwards, you'd know that I was completely fine with that if they could accommodate my dessert choices. And as for the kids prices comment-Just pointing out that (for example) it's technically no different than an adult ordering a kids meal at one of the (non-buffet) restaurants. Many adults do it and Disney seems fine with allowing it, based on multiple peoples stories I read, since its not like you're getting extra food for it. I know you can upgrade a childs meal choice to be adult sized, but some people still just order from the kids menu and get kids portions.

The dessert parties are more like buffets than table service meals. You pay based on age not on what you eat.

@maxiesmom no that doesn't state anything. It just says I CAN if i really wanted to. Does not say anywhere that it's what i'm going to do. :rolleyes2 so get off my back and leave your assumptions to yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter