Canadian Buffoon's Sweet 16 Celebration - Update 01/28 - The End

And now, because I think it's the right thing to do having won last time too, I am bestowing my winnings to the Estimable @Captain_Oblivious .

Okay. That's very nice of you.

@Captain_Oblivious can you
PM your mailing address
and I'll send your prize out, asap.

PK- Thank you for the wonderful writing style, friendship, wit, photography prowess, and all-around general fun you bring to the Boards.

Aw, shucks...

:)

You're very welcome!

I would greatly miss your Reports, but having been in this exact same funk a few months back, I do understand. Hosting a thread takes time (A. LOT. of time), effort, a degree of occasional frustration, and dedication to run. I get that.

Yup!
TR writing is definitely
a time suck.
And... I have seen many, many
TRs that just... peter out.

Only you can decide if you need a break to just enjoy being a poster on others' threads. Like Mark said, if it's become stressful or a chore, we'd all understand. If they still give you satisfaction and you enjoy the banter of your readers, then you have your answer. Sometimes we all need some encouragement; other times, we need a kick in the butt.

So... is this my kick in the butt? ;)
(And... thanks for that.)

As for this TR, it was really nice to read things from your perspective. Yes, I was on this trip along with @franandaj but not for most. It was fun to hear your thoughts on DLR having been your first time there. Thanks for sharing.... everything. I really enjoyed it!

I'm glad you liked it.
I must admit that I leaned on
you and Alison for details
that I'd forgotten.
So thanks to you both, as well!

I'm so sorry I got terribly behind due to the holidays. I've been slowly catching up.

No worries!
I know that's a busy time. :)

Of course I don't get caught up on yours until it ends.

Of course!
And... that's perfectly okay.

This just goes to show how very much everyone enjoys your reporting. Yours was one of the reports I'm having the longest time getting caught up on.

Well... thank you.

I've been reading reports on and off for many years. I can honestly say your writing style is right up there with the best. I rank it right up there with ZZUB. If you have ever read one of his entertaining reports you will agree.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with him/her. I took a quick look but didn't see a TR link in the siggie.

But... thank you very much for the praise.
That's very kind of you and... pretty overwhelming.

So if you can find the time to keep writing I will try to keep reading.

Thank you.

I'm sorry I missed the contest and comments.

That's okay.
The contest is for those who wish
and/or have the time.
It's not a prerequisite. :)

I would like to say I have been to a few Cons with my youngest. She likes to cosplay or dress up. I went to chaperone her and people watch. I got lots of pictures and met interesting people.

Nice!
Care to share any of your photos?

I even had a Dismeet in New Orleans with Marc and Anita while DD did her thing.

Nice!

Now that she's 18 I don't have to tag along.

Even nicer.

;)

If you do start writing I'll need some time to get caught up. We leave for WDW in 11 sleeps.

That's really close!
I'm not sure when I'll start
(Or if I'll start...)
But it will be a little while.

If/when... I'll post a link, here.

This is what I was waiting for. The gracious (in an Oblivious sort of way) concession speech from my worthy opponent. And now, because I think it's the right thing to do having won last time too, I am bestowing my winnings to the Estimable @Captain_Oblivious . Then, when we meet up in Bryce, we can duke it out over the check, should we decide on a Dinner DISMeet. :lmao:

:eek:

Wow! That's incredibly kind and gracious of you, Liesa! If I'd known you were going to do that for me I would have presented a nicer concession speech. :rotfl: Thank you so much!

Have you researched the dinner options around Bryce? There's not a whole lot out there...

It sure doesn't feel like it sometimes!

I know what you mean!

It's a truism.
They're just prettier than we are.

Yep. Just the way it is. I'm ok with that.

But you've been a very constant
and appreciated reader ever since.

Well, thanks. Like I said, I enjoy your TR's.

Not overwhelming or stressful.
Just...
Well....

I guess I just need a bit
of encouragement.

We all do, sometimes. I get that. Always easier to focus on the negative things going on.

I know.
And yet...

I still worry.

Perfectly natural, but I don't think it's warranted.

Yes. I had one not long ago.
And I always feel badly.

Me too. I've sent a few apologetic PM's in my time.

I've been the "victim" of that,
but hope I haven't been the
instigator of it.

But very probably have.

Well, whatever I said that made you the victim, I'm sorry!

Um... dude...

I believe you have that title.

Thanks, man. I appreciate that. :blush:

Okay. That's good to know.
I sometimes wonder
"It's a Disney site.
Does anyone care about this?"

There's more to life than Disney!

Crap...will I get banned for that?

PM your mailing address

Will do, and thank you!

And yes... I did drive
1,000 miles out of my way
for a DISmeet.
(1,002 to be precise.)

Oops. Was that one me?? :littleangel:

I'm probably one of the readers who you think is disappearing. I promise I'm really not. I've read all of the updates, but usually on my phone as my work computer doesn't load your photos. And that makes it very hard to reply the way I want to. And then of course I tell myself I'm going to reply when I get home and......

I certainly understand wanting a break. However, I would be very sad not to have a pkondz TR to be following. You make me smile in more ways than I count, and I consider myself extremely lucky to be able to consider you a friend <3

I just binge read your entire trip report today! I am so glad I stumbled upon it. I had no idea you started a California one. I love that Kay got to enjoy the big rodents!!! Does she want to be a vet? Some of your pictures reminded me of our trip to California this past September. If you go back and want to see the Hollywood sign go to The Griffith Park Observatory. It is a great view. Griffith Park also has the carousel Walt Disney brought his girls to. We rode the carousel and took pictures. I love your reports. Sorry I’ve been MIA. Homeschooling this year has been more difficult and the move has also taken some time to get used to, a new routine and new area. So glad you are doing well. Hugs!

Nice!
Care to share any of your photos?

You may regret asking for photos. I'm the typical proud Mama.

The first Con she went to was small and help in Lafayette. She went with a friend's family. They dressed as Steampunked Disney. My daughter Danielle is Jasmine in red.

063.PNG 071.PNG

Since I didn't go to this one I had to settle on Instagram photos.

I went with her to MecaCon in New Orleans. For part of the day she did the Steampunked Disney, this time in green and then some character from an anime.

171.JPG IMG_4661.JPG IMG_4709.JPG

I went back with her to MecaCon the next year and she was another anime character.

IMG_7587.JPG IMG_7588.JPG

That fall we went to another small Con in Lafayette that wasn't as heavy into anime so she did a Marvel character. This was thrown together the night before with stuff she got at Goodwill. Scarlet Witch?

IMG_7910.JPG IMG_7915.JPG

And then she has her standby. Both my daughters have used the Belle outfit numerous times. It was put together with stuff we already had. I think the only thing we bought was the apron.

Vanessa's I phone photos May 18 2017 036.JPG

I haven't been to a Con with her the last 2 years. This past year she was 18 and went with friends and the year before that a friend's Dad took a group and rented a hotel room.

Are you sorry you asked now?

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with him/her. I took a quick look but didn't see a TR link in the siggie.

ZZUB hasn't written a trip report in many years. He had a great love for Disney and Alabama, but I didn't hold it against him (I'm an LSU Tiger fan). He stopped writing reports and I think started a blog. I know @GreatBiscuit remembers his reports. I learned the term "number 4" from him.

I'd like to start this ending
by thanking you.
Thank you for reading along.
Thank you for your comments.

You're welcome. I enjoyed commenting along and making sassy remarks when you didn't believe me about things like traffic.

I wouldn't be writing these things
if it weren't for you.
(So it's your fault!)

I will happily take all the blame!

I began to write
about my first adventure
in April of 2012 and
haven't stopped since.

I can't say that I've been here since the beginning, but I have been around for several years now!

But maybe it's time to
give it a rest?
A pause, or hiatus?
Perhaps a full stop.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It's always a bit distressing
when a long time, frequent
contributor disappears.
You wonder, as a writer,
if you've somehow offended them.

Actually I just assume life got in the way.

Last summer, I planned a road trip
that started out as a quick jaunt to
Milwaukee and back.
Just over 1,570 miles, round trip.

Sounds reasonable.

That quickly morphed into
a road trip including
four separate DISmeets
and 3,700 miles of driving.
And yes... I did drive
1,000 miles out of my way
for a DISmeet.
(1,002 to be precise.)

1000 round trip or each way? :eek:

But I've written about those before.
Travel. Disney. Meets.

Is it worthwhile to keep writing?
Perhaps it's getting stale for you,
dear reader.

It never gets stale! As I've told you before, you could tell us about a trip to the grocery store, and make it interesting!

Perhaps it's time to let other,
more talented and more fresh
writers have their say.
I'll leave it up to you.

Don't. You. Dare.

Well OK. If you're burned out and its become a chore and a bother to write these reports, I'll understand if you want to stop. But i would be sad if there weren't new Pkondz TRs to read.

franandaj - fillet, photo, soil, saw 9 - 370 points.

Even if i saw all 10, i still would have been in 3rd place. :headache:

PM your mailing address

You wanna hear something weird? A couple weeks ago we were on our way to my friend Jenny's house. Since she's lived here less than a year i still need Google maps to get to her house. When I opened the app I was searching around for where I'd saved her address what popped up in my "places" was Pkondz (whose home was 1529 miles away) and Mark's (whose home was 2372 miles away). I won't post your address on a public forum, but just out of curiosity do each of your steets have something to do with bodies of water or is Google messing with me?

Last edited:

So... be prepared for details....
Loooots of details.
For the first half of this TR.
The second half?

Yeah... not so much.
I'll be relying on my memory there.

I'm envious of those people who have their trip reports completed within a month or two of returning - they must still be able to remember everything!

Exploding helicopters.
With giraffes.

What all good TRs should have,
naturally.

heli%20giraffe_zpsh6rtgm1c.jpg

I was thinking your last few trip reports have been lacking in the exploding helicopters and giraffes area.

A few days later, Kay comes to me and says.
"Dad? I want to do this."
And shows me this exact photo:

capybara1_zps48r5i4ph.jpg

Kay is an animal lover.
She goes nuts for any animals...
The critters in the above photo
are capybaras.
The world's largest rodent.
Pretty much just giant versions
of her Guinea Pig.

Right! I remember reading this in your last report! I own degus, which are a cousin of the capybara and guinea pig, only much smaller.

The winner gets...
Canadian chocolate.

Of course if you live in Canada...
Then all you get is... chocolate.

Oh darn. Guess I'm too late joining in to get a free Coffee Crisp.

I will get back to everyone
and their responses.
It's not going unnoticed!
I just don't have time right now.
But hoping tomorrow.

Hi Ponzi. Just wanted to pop in to say I have not disappeared, just turned into a lurker....... I would very much enjoy more reports from you, but I understand if it gets too old or too much.

Yep. Just the way it is. I'm ok with that.

Me too. ::yes::

We all do, sometimes. I get that. Always easier to focus on the negative things going on.

Sometimes... yes.

Perfectly natural, but I don't think it's warranted.

Perhaps. I hope not.
Still worry, though.

Well, whatever I said that made you the victim, I'm sorry!

Finally!
I thought you'd never
apologize for that!

Thanks, man. I appreciate that. :blush:

Merely the truth.
Ask anyone.

There's more to life than Disney!

Crap...will I get banned for that?

Nah.
You should be fine.

Uh.... Mark?

Mark???

Will do, and thank you!

Still waiting for your address. :)

Oops. Was that one me?? :littleangel:

Yup! That was you! :goodvibes

I'm probably one of the readers who you think is disappearing.

Actually... yes.

I promise I'm really not. I've read all of the updates, but usually on my phone as my work computer doesn't load your photos. And that makes it very hard to reply the way I want to. And then of course I tell myself I'm going to reply when I get home and......

Ahhhh...

Yes, I am familiar with that one.

I have done the same.
"Shoot. I can't comment from the phone.
I'll do it when I get home."

In through the eyes and out the brain.

I certainly understand wanting a break. However, I would be very sad not to have a pkondz TR to be following. You make me smile in more ways than I count,

Awww...

Annie? You just made my day.

and I consider myself extremely lucky to be able to consider you a friend <3

:goodvibes

I just binge read your entire trip report today!

Were people wondering
why you were feeling so ill?

I am so glad I stumbled upon it. I had no idea you started a California one.

Started it?
Heck!
I finished it!!

I love that Kay got to enjoy the big rodents!!! Does she want to be a vet?

She loves animals...
but she never wants to be a vet.
She says she could never put
a pet down.

Some of your pictures reminded me of our trip to California this past September.

Oh! And how was that?

If you go back and want to see the Hollywood sign go to The Griffith Park Observatory. It is a great view.

Sure. Now you tell me!
(But thanks for the tip!)

Griffith Park also has the carousel Walt Disney brought his girls to. We rode the carousel and took pictures.

No way!!
I had no idea!
Thanks a lot for that!

I love your reports.

Thanks! :)

Sorry I’ve been MIA. Homeschooling this year has been more difficult and the move has also taken some time to get used to, a new routine and new area.

Yes, I can only imagine.
Are you feeling more settled now?

So glad you are doing well. Hugs!

I'm doing okay. :)
How are you and the fam?

You may regret asking for photos. I'm the typical proud Mama.

I can honestly say that
I have never regretted
asking for photos.

And I can still say that!

The first Con she went to was small and help in Lafayette. She went with a friend's family. They dressed as Steampunked Disney. My daughter Danielle is Jasmine in red.

Love the idea. She was what? 14? 15?

Great costumes!
Those horns are impressive.

Interesting.
Different con, you say.
But a lot of the same costumes.
I like that your DD changed it up.

whoa.

Bada**.

That... I'll call it an 'axe'
is impressive.
Did she make that?
Or buy it?
How heavy was it??

Scarlet Witch?

Beats me!
I'm not that into the Marvel Universe.

Impressive Cpt. America.

That is one cool shot!
Who took it?

Wow! That's perfect!
Very impressive. ::yes::

I haven't been to a Con with her the last 2 years. This past year she was 18 and went with friends and the year before that a friend's Dad took a group and rented a hotel room.

Got any photos of what
she did those times?

Are you sorry you asked now?

Nope! Not even close! :goodvibes

ZZUB hasn't written a trip report in many years. He had a great love for Disney and Alabama, but I didn't hold it against him (I'm an LSU Tiger fan). He stopped writing reports and I think started a blog. I know @GreatBiscuit remembers his reports. I learned the term "number 4" from him.

Ah.
Had to Google LSU...

and then smacked self in forehead.

So... "number 4"?

You're welcome. I enjoyed commenting along and making sassy remarks when you didn't believe me about things like traffic.

Next time....
Include the words:
"No. Really!"

I will happily take all the blame!

:laughing:

I can't say that I've been here since the beginning, but I have been around for several years now!

Yes you have! :hug:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hmmm... sorry...
Not quite clear...

Are you saying "No"?

Actually I just assume life got in the way.

But even then...

Illness? Death? Depression?
What??

Basically... Are you okay?

1000 round trip or each way? :eek:

Neither.
More of a detour.
Going from A to B.
Going via C was
an extra 1,000 miles.

It never gets stale! As I've told you before, you could tell us about a trip to the grocery store, and make it interesting!

What if I didn't buy anything?

Don't. You. Dare.

Umm.... eep!

Well OK. If you're burned out and its become a chore and a bother to write these reports, I'll understand if you want to stop. But i would be sad if there weren't new Pkondz TRs to read.

Thank you, Alison.
I appreciate that.

Even if i saw all 10, i still would have been in 3rd place. :headache:

I really didn't expect many
to find all 10.

You wanna hear something weird? A couple weeks ago we were on our way to my friend Jenny's house. Since she's lived here less than a year i still need Google maps to get to her house. When I opened the app I was searching around for where I'd saved her address what popped up in my "places" was Pkondz (whose home was 1529 miles away) and Mark's (whose home was 2372 miles away). I won't post your address on a public forum, but just out of curiosity do each of your steets have something to do with bodies of water or is Google messing with me?

If I walk to the bottom of my street,
which would be, oh... about 4 houses.

I could maybe throw a rock in the river.
There's a field and a footpath in between.

Next time....
Include the words:
"No. Really!"

And i need to send an e-mail to our little group as we can make reservations now for our Friday night restaurant. Plus with the arrival time of your flight, some of the plans discussed amongst us might not be feasible timewise. No Really. I'll try to get that email out in the next couple days. Too hard from the phone and i can't really bring my lap top for sitting at the vet's office.

But even then...

Illness? Death? Depression?
What??

Basically... Are you okay?

Most of the time its work, at least that's my experience.

Neither.
More of a detour.
Going from A to B.
Going via C was
an extra 1,000 miles.

I sure hope that you write that TR. Now im really curious where you went besides Liesa's, or was hers the 1000 mile trip?

What if I didn't buy anything?

I'm sure you would come up with something. Either how the drive was eventful, the people you encountered, what caught your eye on the shelves, and what made you change your mindas to why you didnt buy anything.

I really didn't expect many
to find all 10.

I just need to realize there isn't a limit to the number of ones you will put in there.

If I walk to the bottom of my street,
which would be, oh... about 4 houses.

I could maybe throw a rock in the river.
There's a field and a footpath in between.

Thats not what i meant, the name of your street. Does it have some sort of nautical reference?

I'm envious of those people who have their trip reports completed within a month or two of returning - they must still be able to remember everything!

::yes:: We were just talking about this
on your TR, weren't we?

My first TR was too fast for some.
So I have deliberately slowed down.

I was thinking your last few trip reports have been lacking in the exploding helicopters and giraffes area.

So was this one.
Turns out, it was
just that one.

Must do better.

Right! I remember reading this in your last report! I own degus, which are a cousin of the capybara and guinea pig, only much smaller.

I like degus.
Never owned any, though.

And I'm sure you told
me before you had degus.

Oh darn. Guess I'm too late joining in to get a free Coffee Crisp.

Well you can just go get one. :)

Hi Ponzi.

Hi, Marita! :wave:

Just wanted to pop in to say I have not disappeared, just turned into a lurker.......

But I'm glad you took the time
to say hello to an old friend. :)

I would very much enjoy more reports from you, but I understand if it gets too old or too much.

Thank you.
Just in need of encouragement, I guess.
Sometimes it's just nice to hear
that people still are interested.
Or even want it.

Yay, took the plunge! Heading down for some Spring break sunshine and healing! I think as long as there are no one-armed monkey bar challenges I should do just fine :cool1:

Good for you!
I'm sure you'll have
a great time.

One arm or two. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!