Can we talk about TIPFLATION for a minute?

how do you figure the Employee is giving the employer their tips?

I would agree that the customer is subsidizing wages for the employer with a tipped MW. But it is frequently a sweet deal for the wait staff since they can earn way more than actual MW with those tips. If the tipped MW is eliminated, I wonder if customers would tip as generously causing earning to drop for waiters. 🤷‍♀️
I think customers are the only ones who want to do away with tipped minimum wage.

Probably not. BUT they'd get a higher base salary (in theory). If the higher base salary isn't enough to keep them around, then owners need to up their offer. If they don't find whatever the "magic pill" is to keep someone in the job, they go out of business... like every other business out there.
And fewer options for customer.

Not always. Didn't work for me. I had someone texting me from various numbers (so blocking didn't help) spoofing a Jewel's name but including their own website. I blocked numbers, replied "STOP" multiple times. Now that I think about it, they haven't been back in a while, but if someone has nefarious intentions, you think they're worried about a STOP reply?

Thats not something you signed up for though. That's just spam. You have to use spam blockers for that.

The price of vet care has definitely skyrocketed in our area (NJ). And I've heard it's mostly due to private equity firms buying these practices. I don't know, but it's got to be getting to be too much for a lot of people. I'm glad to hear that younger vets aren't accepting the crazy hours any longer, because that's no way to live.

I give a "tip" to the entire internal medicine team every year. A big gift card to buy lunch for the whole team during the holidays. I have a dog with an autoimmune disease who is now diabetic, so we're there a lot and know all of the vets and techs in that department. They seem to really appreciate it. Just a thought for anyone who may want to tip a veterinarian......one way is to buy lunch (or even coffee/breakfast) for the the whole office or the team.
Now that you mention it, we (as veterinarians) do get a lot of food and stuff like that, especially during the holidays. I guess that could be thought of as a tip, but like you, people do it out of kindness - we would never ask for that stuff.

Not always. Didn't work for me. I had someone texting me from various numbers (so blocking didn't help) spoofing a Jewel's name but including their own website. I blocked numbers, replied "STOP" multiple times. Now that I think about it, they haven't been back in a while, but if someone has nefarious intentions, you think they're worried about a STOP reply?
Right, but if it's some random person spoofing Jewel, then you're not replying to Jewel to opt out of their text alerts. So yeah, like you said, texting a scammer/spoofer "STOP" likely isn't going to do a darn thing. But that also isn't proof that texting "STOP" will opt you out of any text alert.

I didn't read through all of the posts, so I may be repeating someone. I saw a news story about the new tipping culture. Pretty much most software comes with the tip option and business owners are deciding to utilize it, because, why not? They know that they shouldn't expect the consumer to tip for certain roles, but they are out to make as much money as they can and they know many people are too embarrassed to decline tipping.

Not familiar with sub-minimum as that is not a thing in CA, but doesn't it work such that you get minimum wage NMW but if you are tipped, your tips count towards the minimum until you exceed minimum? IOW, say MW is $10/hr, but you are in a tipped position. Say SMW is $5/hour and you get $4/hr in tips, you would get $10/hr (employer would subsidize), but if you got $6/hr in tips you would get $11/hr. All the same, I agree, that's not right. You are essentially giving your employer your tips once your tips plus SMW exceed MW. I'm not tipping your boss.
Certainly possible it's changed since I worked tipped positions but I think the protection you are talking about is maybe state by state. Even if federal protection exists, some employers wage theft so them not bringing attention to it would not surprise me.

I didn't read through all of the posts, so I may be repeating someone. I saw a news story about the new tipping culture. Pretty much most software comes with the tip option and business owners are deciding to utilize it, because, why not? They know that they shouldn't expect the consumer to tip for certain roles, but they are out to make as much money as they can and they know many people are too embarrassed to decline tipping.
But, on the other hand, I just heard a headline about a survey on news radio yesterday, that said that 2/3 of the population surveyed now have a negative attitude toward tipping, which is much higher than previous surveys.

I didn't hear any proposed reasons for why this is, but I would wager that all the complaints in this thread have a lot to do with it.

So, IMO, the reason for "why not?" is that this continuous begging-for-unnecessary-tips may end-up backfiring, if more and more people start to experience "tip exhaustion" and start giving less and less tips overall.

But, on the other hand, I just heard a headline about a survey on news radio yesterday, that said that 2/3 of the population surveyed now have a negative attitude toward tipping, which is much higher than previous surveys.

I didn't hear any proposed reasons for why this is, but I would wager that all the complaints in this thread have a lot to do with it.

So, IMO, the reason for "why not?" is that this continuous begging-for-unnecessary-tips may end-up backfiring, if more and more people start to experience "tip exhaustion" and start giving less and less tips overall.
Ah. You "heard a survey" on "news radio." I suppose that holds a bit more veracity than a talkative Disney bus driver. :laughing:

To add to this...I just went out to eat and was charged 3% for using my credit card! Ugh! That's your fee for having a business; it shouldn't be mine to pay. I was really mad--everything is so expensive to begin with, and that was just icing on the cake.

To add to this...I just went out to eat and was charged 3% for using my credit card! Ugh! That's your fee for having a business; it shouldn't be mine to pay. I was really mad--everything is so expensive to begin with, and that was just icing on the cake.

Sheesh, that’s terrible, especially if it’s not known ahead. There’s one small take out/ casual place here that doesn’t accept credit cards at all. But they’ve been in business for over 25 years & never accepted them so you know you need cash there. A few years ago, they actually added an ATM.

41% want the restaurants to pay a fair wage and get rid of tipping, yet only 16% agree they would agree to pay more for their food if tipping was eliminated. Folks, tipping is here to stay. A lot of places here have started a credit card fee, just came back from brunch and they offered a 4% cash discount.

We've encountered this at several restaurants recently. What really upset me is they don't tell you ahead of time that there is an additional charge for using a credit card. There are plenty of other places to eat so we no longer go to those restaurants.

Well, for my pet-sitting/dog walking business I have never offered paying by credit card as an option, just cash and check until the last 4-5 years when I began getting requests for people to pay via Venmo. And so I do offer that, but I let them know that there's an additional 2% charge (it's actually 1.9% plus ten cents) if they'd like to pay that way and I've never had any push back. That's what venmo charges me and I don't feel like I should take a 2% hit when customers could pay me two other ways. Some people like the convenience, and most view it like an ATM charge from a bank that's not theirs. And I'm not their bank ;).

most view it like an ATM charge from a bank that's not theirs. And I'm not their bank ;).
Yeah but my bank reimburses me for those ATM charges that are not from their ATM up to a certain point per month :upsidedow

Checks aren't always free either for people to get from their bank. We have virtually nothing that we use checks for now and thus don't carry them. I still have checks though from my original box dating back to 2006 but I'd have to correct a lot of information on it (name, address), but new accounts nah we don't have checks around the house for it.

You carry change too for the cash for people?

Gotta make it as convenient as possible if you're going to use your reasoning.

Well, for my pet-sitting/dog walking business I have never offered paying by credit card as an option, just cash and check until the last 4-5 years when I began getting requests for people to pay via Venmo. And so I do offer that, but I let them know that there's an additional 2% charge (it's actually 1.9% plus ten cents) if they'd like to pay that way and I've never had any push back. That's what venmo charges me and I don't feel like I should take a 2% hit when customers could pay me two other ways. Some people like the convenience, and most view it like an ATM charge from a bank that's not theirs. And I'm not their bank ;).
I think as long as your clients know up front that these are the options, then that's great and makes sense.
When you are at a restaurant where using a cc is the norm and has been for a very long time and most people do not carry a lot of cash, then springing on them the cost of using a cc is bad form especially since that's how most people pay for restaurants dinners. If this become the norm, then we will start bringing cash, but now lots of places are not taking cash so there's that.

To say I'm over it is an understatement. I declined to tip at a Jersey Mike's about a month ago. The cashier was watching and pushed my food at me, then turned around without a word. I now carry a small amount of cash for these ridiculous situations businesses put us in.

I've also noticed a lot of businesses putting out tip jars with snarky messages like "tipping isn't a city in China" or the like. That pretty much guarantees I won't leave a tip.

I used to cave to the guilt but these places have pushed me over the edge and I'm done. Great, polite service still gets a great tip from me, but I'm sick of the rest of it.

I think as long as your clients know up front that these are the options, then that's great and makes sense.
When you are at a restaurant where using a cc is the norm and has been for a very long time and most people do not carry a lot of cash, then springing on them the cost of using a cc is bad form especially since that's how most people pay for restaurants dinners. If this become the norm, then we will start bringing cash, but now lots of places are not taking cash so there's that.

That‘s what would annoy me too. Especially the last 3 years, a lot of places didn’t want cash. Restaurant meals aren’t cheap so you’re talking a good amount of cash, especially if you’re paying for more than 1 person. I had a hard time getting my husband to use a credit card instead of cash, but he’s ok with it finally. My kids are in their 30s & 40s. None of them would have enough cash to pay for a restaurant tab. The place I mentioned above has had a “cash only” sign on the door since it opened. You really should know up front, before ordering.

I had a restaurant several years ago add the charge for using a credit card. I posted a google review online afterwards. They still do the charge but at least now there is a placard on display stating such. One other does it too. Fortunately both have excellent quality food at reasonable prices so I can understand why the places are doing it and plan accordingly. If I am aware of it before payment for the order I'm cool.

I tip based on the level of interaction. If all I have to do is sit down and the staff takes care of everything from there - full tip. If I walk up to order + pay + retrieve food and then find a table - no tip. If the interaction is somewhere between these scenarios I will adjust accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts